PDA

View Full Version : Kensai Help

sabelo2000
2013-03-06, 02:09 AM
The rules for a Kensai's Signature Weapon read, "The signature weapon then becomes a magic weapon (if it wasn't already) and gains an enhancement bonus and/or special abilities. His current level limits the amount of enhancement a Kensai can place into his signature weapon" (emphasis mine).

So, if a Kensai 1 already owns a +1 sword, does that mean he can't imbue it until he reaches level 2? Or does that mean that he adds +1 (or equivalent) to his already magic weapon? I don't find this addressed in the text (Complete Warrior, p.51).

ArcturusV
2013-03-06, 02:16 AM
Well, bonuses like that typically don't stack, since a Magic Weapon +1 is an Enhancement Bonus, as is the Kensai ability. So it's only the higher of either.

However, you could give your weapon any bonus that is equatable to a +1 bonus, and use that along with the +1 Enhancement bonus you have on your Magic Weapon +1.

Now if your Kensai level was 2, and you have a Magic +1 weapon, you could use your Kensai level bonus to make it into a +2 Magic Weapon. The innate +1 bonus on the weapon does nothing for you. Or you could gain abilities like Fleshgrinding, Shocking, etc, either a single +2 Enhancement, or two +1 abilities, etc, and your Magic Weapon still counts as having it's +1 Enhancement.

sabelo2000
2013-03-06, 02:44 AM
See, that's where the wording is vague. The example specifically spells out that a Kensai who can make a +3 sword could add a +2 enhancement and a +1 ability bonus; but it doesn't say what to do about any magical properties that already exist. My rules-lawyer brain asserts that the ability doesn't say it MAKES a +1 sword, it ADDS +1 to a sword. Which would mean, that a +1 weapon becomes +2, or a +4 becomes +5. I know this probably isn't RAI, but the RAW leaves the issue vague.

ArcturusV
2013-03-06, 02:59 AM
I don't think it's all that vague myself. What does it say?

"If the weapon isn't magic, it becomes a magic weapon and gains an enhancement bonus"

Now, it's kinda wishful thinking to think "gains" means, well, "Gains", and that it's additive no matter what. But we know the general rule is that the only things that are additive no matter what is untyped bonuses. Whereas since that is specifically called an Enhancement Bonus, it doesn't stack with any other Enhancement bonuses (Masterwork, Magic Weapon, etc). Which is also why Magic Weapon +1s don't actually attack at +2. Because the bonuses don't stack, due to being the same type.

I might be wrong. I'm by no means the Master of the Rules.

Xerxus
2013-03-06, 03:27 AM
I thought the entire point of the Kensai was to further imbue the weapon with magic abilities.

Person_Man
2013-03-06, 10:18 AM
It's a poorly worded ability. Check with your DM - his opinion is the only one that matters on such things.

I would add that the major benefit of Kensai is that he can make multiple magic weapons for a relatively cheap price. If you've got 4+ claws or tentacles or arms or whatever, you can enchant each of them, which is a big deal if you choose your enchantments wisely.