PDA

View Full Version : Tell me more about the infraction points.

Gamebird
2006-11-13, 10:34 AM
Today when I logged on I see an infraction report under my location. And I have a PM from Roland saying this is my old infraction from a year ago. 2500 posts, not one of them spam or SMBG, and 1 warning. I've been amused and saddened to see the people I was arguing with at the time banned from the forum for arguing with people.

But anyway, what does it mean that my infraction is worth 100 points? I assume higher numbers are worse? What's the highest a single infraction is worth? At what point are privileges revoked/access denied? Obviously I'm still here and still posting.

Rawhide
2006-11-13, 10:41 AM
What we originally deemed an "Official Warning" is now an infraction. We have chosen to make infractions a 100 point scale, ie. 100 points = 100%. We can also issue half (50 point) and quarter (25 point) infractions as well as larger ones.

What was once called a "Friendly Warnings" is now simply called a warning, these are like an infraction but add a grand total of 0 points to your tally.

Gamebird
2006-11-13, 10:46 AM
So what does the "0/1" thing mean?

Rawhide
2006-11-13, 10:49 AM
Total number of warnings/infractions.

ie.
Infractions: 0/1 (100)
would mean
0 total warnings, 1 total infractions, 100 total accumulated points

HempRope
2006-11-13, 10:50 AM
And how many points results in consequences?

Lilly
2006-11-13, 12:15 PM
And how many points results in consequences?
Are you talking about banning? We're still on the "3 strikes and your out" system, so 3 full warnings or 300 points.

Logic
2006-11-13, 12:24 PM
I thought I read something here on the forums about eventually some of your warnings expire after some time...Is this true, or merely something my imagination came up with?

tape_measure
2006-11-13, 01:01 PM
to go along with the above, will once-members-now-banned-derelicts be reinstated? or are they gone for good?

Ego Slayer
2006-11-13, 01:05 PM
to go along with the above, will once-members-now-banned-derelicts be reinstated? or are they gone for good?

I'd hope they're gone for good. There's a certain someone who I definitely don't want back.:smalltongue:

Lilly
2006-11-13, 01:10 PM
I thought I read something here on the forums about eventually some of your warnings expire after some time...Is this true, or merely something my imagination came up with?

Expiration dates will be listed with your Infractions/warnings. Warnings expire in 6 months, Minor Infractions in 12, Major in 24, Old Boards in 18 and there are also Permant Infractions that don't expire.

All the previously banned members are still banned, and will not be reinstated.

Ego Slayer
2006-11-13, 01:28 PM
Where can one see warnings/infractions? I know I've got one "Friendly Warning" from quite awhile ago but I don't see any numbers.

Gamebird
2006-11-13, 01:28 PM
Expiration dates will be listed with your Infractions/warnings. Warnings expire in 6 months, Minor Infractions in 12, Major in 24, Old Boards in 18 and there are also Permant Infractions that don't expire.

So... perversely, my infraction will take about six more months to expire, because it happened before the upgrade rather than after. Would I be able to alter that by sending you Gorbash's warning? (though also, in the upgrade, all my saved inbox messages show the same date of 12/31/99)

tape_measure
2006-11-13, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the quick response, Lilly!

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-11-13, 03:07 PM
For the old forum infractions, please keep in mind these two points:

1. Under the old system, Official Warnings never expired.

2. In the old system, we made no distinction between Minor and Major Infractions - everything was an Official Warning. As such, they're all essentially Major Infractions.

The Old Forum Infractions take into account that there have been changes to the system. Though these will take 18 months to expire, the original concept when they were issued was that they'd be there forever (like the current Permanent Infractions), plus they split the difference between Minor and Major Infractions (again, pretty much anything you got hit with an Official Warning in the old system would be a Major Infraction now). So, in the end, while it may be frustrating to see the 18 months left, it is better than getting stuck with it unto eternity, as the old system did.

Also, keep in mind that the current Warnings are akin to the Friendly Warnings under the old system. We have not transferred those from the old forum at this time, so they will not show up on your account.

Logic
2006-11-13, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the info.

Zherog
2006-11-13, 09:21 PM
So... perversely, ...

Just a hunch, but I'm thinking you went with the wrong word there...

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-11-14, 04:04 AM
You know what would be good. Instead of their title, just change it to "Criminal in the Playground" That will tell us who is running from the law!

Actually that may work better in theory...

Baron
2006-11-14, 04:10 AM
You know what would be good. Instead of their title, just change it to "Criminal in the Playground" That will tell us who is running from the law!

Actually that may work better in theory...

Wonder how many infractions I've gathered then?

Azrael
2006-11-14, 08:35 AM
Where can one see warnings/infractions? I know I've got one "Friendly Warning" from quite awhile ago but I don't see any numbers.

Plus, if it was a real warning, I'd imagine that it's taking the Mods a bit of time going down the list entering old warnings. So it might take a while for yours* to show up.

Well not yours Ego...

2006-11-14, 08:52 AM
Wonder how many infractions I've gathered then?

Ah! I see they have gotten one already. I knew my idea would catch on.

Well, that's Baron for you. I found an article which he wrote the first and last bit in. Did you know the Baron's real name is Neil Zawacki? (http://evil-guide.tripod.com/career.html)

Gamebird
2006-11-14, 02:45 PM

Not really. It seems to me a perverse turn of events that had the new system been in place when my infraction occured, then it would be gone 12 months from now. But since the new system came about now, it will be 18 months until it's gone.

"Perverse" does not always have a sexual implication.

WampaX
2006-11-14, 03:15 PM
Not really. It seems to me a perverse turn of events that had the new system been in place when my infraction occured, then it would be gone 12 months from now. But since the new system came about now, it will be 18 months until it's gone.

You got your sentence reduced from permanent to 18 months. Enjoy the (infinity - 18) reduction. :smallsmile:

Also, as an aside, no one but you and the mods can see those numbers.

Rawhide
2006-11-14, 05:20 PM

"Perverse" does not always have a sexual implication.

You got your sentence reduced from permanent to 18 months. Enjoy the (infinity - 18) reduction. :smallsmile:

Also, as an aside, no one but you and the mods can see those numbers.
Not only was it reduced from permanent to 18 months, but old board infractions only last 18 months, not 24 months as the majority of old board warnings last now that they are infractions. Listen to Gorby, he knows what he's talking about:

pretty much anything you got hit with an Official Warning in the old system would be a Major Infraction now

Gamebird
2006-11-15, 10:06 AM
Okay, I'll quit my grumbling.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-16, 09:04 AM
Heh, I have an infraction from a couple years ago because I put a Biblical quote in my signature for Christmas. Won't expire to 2008.

Thing is, is that even a rule anymore? I've seen a number of folks with religious quotes and nothing has been said to them.

Tis the season to be jolly, bah bah bah bah, bah bah bah bah...

Jack Mann
2006-11-16, 09:49 AM
Expand your word power!

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-11-16, 10:27 AM
Heh, I have an infraction from a couple years ago because I put a Biblical quote in my signature for Christmas. Won't expire to 2008.

Thing is, is that even a rule anymore? I've seen a number of folks with religious quotes and nothing has been said to them.
The rule has not changed; as with anything, if you see something that appears to be a rule violation and it hasn't yet been corrected, chances are the moderators have not yet seen it or had it brought to our attention, so you should go ahead and report it.

Bears With Lasers
2006-11-16, 09:44 PM
Expand your word power!

With Power Word™ spells: now availible in Blind, Stun, and Kill! Check your local Scroll-O-Mart!

MrNexx
2006-11-17, 12:01 AM
Today when I logged on I see an infraction report under my location. And I have a PM from Roland saying this is my old infraction from a year ago. 2500 posts, not one of them spam or SMBG, and 1 warning. I've been amused and saddened to see the people I was arguing with at the time banned from the forum for arguing with people.

I feel your pain, GB. I hoped that my own malfeasance had escaped detection in the shuffle of electrons, but, today, alas, the long arm of the Sherrif of Moddingham caught up with me.

Charity
2006-11-17, 04:26 AM
Not having one of these infractions is ruining my street cred!

Whose windows do I have to chuck a brick through to get one?

McDeath
2006-11-17, 07:26 AM
Damn the new system! Damn it to the fires of Pun Heck! Now my shame is public for all to see!

Rawhide
2006-11-17, 07:48 AM
Damn the new system! Damn it to the fires of Pun Heck! Now my shame is public for all to see!
Nope, only you and the mods can see it. Well, right up until you mentioned it publically anyway.

2006-11-17, 09:08 AM
You mean no one can see my shame? Thank goodness, I wouldn't want people to see me as one that has broken the rules.

Pssht, follow my lead Chairty. Street cred here we come.

Charity
2006-11-17, 11:17 AM
Nice one Deathy old man

Oh er, yeah. Darn it now all can see how close to the Edge I really am. Oh they can't? phew.

Sucking up that Kudos. Whats with the Chair stuff?

The Orange Zergling
2006-11-20, 03:30 PM
Nope, only you and the mods can see it. Well, right up until you mentioned it publically anyway.

I'd say that deserves either an "lol" or a [homervoice]DOH![/voice].

The Demented One
2006-11-21, 07:41 AM
I'd hope they're gone for good. There's a certain someone who I definitely don't want back.:smalltongue:
Ooh, that grinds.

ghost_warlock
2006-11-27, 04:14 PM
I like the new system. I've been living in mortal dread of getting a warning since I signed up and read the rules. I like it here and I don't want to get banned! :smalleek: It's nice to know that if I mess up I won't be living with it forever.

Especially since I'm pretty sure I've come close to deserving one a couple times... :smallredface: Nothing quite like the anxiety of signing in after being offline for a while and half-expecting to have received an unfriendly notice from a moderator...

Maybe I'm too well socialized.

Gamebird
2006-11-28, 03:35 PM
Not having one of these infractions is ruining my street cred!

Whose windows do I have to chuck a brick through to get one?

I'll bet you could get one or two just by asking a Mod real nice. You could probably even get banned if you said something snarky to Rich himself about it. "You can't ban me!" might work. :smalltongue:

BlueWizard
2006-11-29, 05:12 AM
This thread helped clear things up for me. I was issued a fair warning today. I was surprised, but when I looked at the post I left, it might have seemed like I was playing MOD.

I am feeling better now... I was scared I do another stupid post. But, I'll just have to be a little more careful... and no playing MOD.

I am asked to DM and run things a lot, so I guess its in my nature to try order things MY way!

Gamebird
2006-11-29, 10:35 AM
Everyone wants things their way. That's the nature of things.

Charity
2006-11-30, 03:18 PM
I'll bet you could get one or two just by asking a Mod real nice. You could probably even get banned if you said something snarky to Rich himself about it. "You can't ban me!" might work. :smalltongue:

*chucks a brick through GB's window*
*Smash tinkle*

Hey Raw do I get one?
Oh yeah I was pretending admitting I had one already
Whoops soz about the glass

faerwain
2006-11-30, 04:10 PM
.. and no playing MOD.

And if the urge gets too strong, you might find relief here. :smallwink:

Single Shot Zombie
2006-12-02, 11:56 AM
Just a question out of curiousity; how do we check whether we're naughty or nice? Can't find anything for me, so I think I'm good........I hope. <gulp>

(V: So I'm good, then. Whew.)

Rex Idiotarum
2006-12-02, 01:42 PM
<<Right there, If you see an infraction point thingy, then you're evil. Well, one your own posts. But it is in the same relative location. It'll say "Infractions: x/y (z)"

Xerillum
2006-12-04, 05:31 PM

*cough*the giant.*cough*.