PDA

View Full Version : Time for another KRAKOOM?

Shale
2013-03-06, 08:50 AM
As of strip #879, the Order is in what looks like a tough-to-impossible situation - in order to hold the Gate, they'll have to fend off two epic-ECL vampire clerics, a potentially epic fighter/warrior/whatever, Zz'ditri's enchantments, and then an epic sorcerer lich and the highest-level cleric yet seen - all without their own divine caster, and with Vaarsuvius traumatized out of his/her mind and Belkar reduced to the constitution of a small yippy dog.

But, regardless of the difficulty of keeping the gate, for now they control the entryway. And if the older gates have taught us anything, that means there's probably some trap or weakness lurking that a well-intentioned individual could use to send the whole thing sky-high.

I halfway expect the battle for the gate to get cut short just because a prolonged fight would send Book 5 into War & Peace's level of page count, but it's also seeming more and more like the Order's smartest possible play - blow everything up, hope the bad guys get caught in the blast, regroup and try again at Kraagor's Gate.

Or is there a better way?

Shale
2013-03-06, 08:52 AM
I don't have the slightest idea how this got posted in the Dice Roll forum. I hit "post" from the OOTS forum! Stupid browser. If a mod could move or delete, I'd appreciate it.

martianmister
2013-03-14, 04:52 PM
Well...they could be allied to Tarquin's group, but that's not a good idea after all...

Ninja Dragon
2013-03-14, 04:58 PM
The truth is that this became a suicide mission the moment Varsuuvius decided to cast Familicide. They can't possibly beat Team Evil. Even if the Linear Guild wasn't there, it would still be impossible to defend the gate.

Unless something like Xykon's defeat in book 1 happens, but that was more of a joke than anything. The comic has become too plot focused for that.

Shred-Bot
2013-03-14, 06:07 PM
The truth is that this became a suicide mission the moment Varsuuvius decided to cast Familicide. They can't possibly beat Team Evil. Even if the Linear Guild wasn't there, it would still be impossible to defend the gate.

Unless something like Xykon's defeat in book 1 happens, but that was more of a joke than anything. The comic has become too plot focused for that.

Yeah... Girard's gate is going boom.

Actually... what if they manage to blow the gate when Xykon happens to be right there, and it destroys him? He is NOT going to be happy to find himself regenerating in Redcloak's pocket rather than in his astral tomb fortress thingy. Evil on evil drama!

oppyu
2013-03-14, 06:11 PM
As of strip #879, the Order is in what looks like a tough-to-impossible situation - in order to hold the Gate, they'll have to fend off two epic-ECL vampire clerics, a potentially epic fighter/warrior/whatever, Zz'ditri's enchantments, and then an epic sorcerer lich and the highest-level cleric yet seen - all without their own divine caster, and with Vaarsuvius traumatized out of his/her mind and Belkar reduced to the constitution of a small yippy dog.

But, regardless of the difficulty of keeping the gate, for now they control the entryway. And if the older gates have taught us anything, that means there's probably some trap or weakness lurking that a well-intentioned individual could use to send the whole thing sky-high.

I halfway expect the battle for the gate to get cut short just because a prolonged fight would send Book 5 into War & Peace's level of page count, but it's also seeming more and more like the Order's smartest possible play - blow everything up, hope the bad guys get caught in the blast, regroup and try again at Kraagor's Gate.

Or is there a better way?
As demonstrated by the three previous gates, they don't go 'KRAKOOM', they go 'KRACKAKOOM'.

And yes, exploding the gate seems like their only viable play here. Without Durkon and V, they can't fight off the Linear Guild, let alone Team Evil.

F.Harr
2013-03-14, 06:15 PM
Well, for dramatic tention purposes, everything HAS to come down to the last gate. So this one has to be rendered non-functional in some manner and destroying it is the most likely way to do that.

NerdyKris
2013-03-14, 06:47 PM
Does the gate really need to be rendered non functional?

The question asked to the Oracle was simply "Within 1000 feet of first." That doesn't mean that Xykon won't be called away from this gate for some other reason.

We know he's heading for this gate, and has the coordinates. But there's a chance something will happen to make him think Kraagor's gate is the better choice. Especailly in when this gate is guarded by illusions.

I doubt the gate is simply going to be destroyed. For starters, the last time that happened, a castle exploded. that's not exactly a plan with a high survival rate. My guess is they'll make Xykon think it was destroyed already. Although I have no idea what would possibly happen after that, since he'd teleport directly to Kraagor's gate, and the Order would be on the other side of the planet.

F.Harr
2013-03-15, 08:24 PM
Does the gate really need to be rendered non functional?

If the story ends with two functioning gates, look at all the tention that would be missed. There has to be a race and a final battle for the last gate where the future of the world and Goblinoid peoples are at stake. Anything less wouldn't live up to the buildup.

nonamearisto
2013-03-15, 10:27 PM
If the story ends with two functioning gates, look at all the tention that would be missed. There has to be a race and a final battle for the last gate where the future of the world and Goblinoid peoples are at stake. Anything less wouldn't live up to the buildup.

It looks like they're being set up for Team Evil losing this gate, then seizing Kraagor's gate. Since the ritual takes weeks to complete, this gives the Order time to lose the final gate, have some other stuff happen, and attack the gate again in a big dramatic showdown. Probably without Belkar, who may die before the battle.

BronyHeresy
2013-03-15, 10:36 PM
Well, I'd certainly hope it comes down to the last gate. I love snowy settings.

I foresee the Linear Guild being forced to team up with the Order when Tarquin realizes what the gate is, and that he has no way of controlling it without Xykon's help. And I don't see Tarquin allying with Xykon at any time in the future: Xykon is too random for him by half. It'd be interesting to see the LG and the OOTS on the same side for once, see how that would function. It'd be awfully distasteful for everyone involved.

137beth
2013-03-15, 11:00 PM
Well, I'd certainly hope it comes down to the last gate. I love snowy settings.

I foresee the Linear Guild being forced to team up with the Order when Tarquin realizes what the gate is, and that he has no way of controlling it without Xykon's help. And I don't see Tarquin allying with Xykon at any time in the future: Xykon is too random for him by half. It'd be interesting to see the LG and the OOTS on the same side for once, see how that would function. It'd be awfully distasteful for everyone involved.

I'd expect that it would be more likely for Tarquin to ally with the OOTS, but not Nale. Really, Nale's only purpose is to destroy Elan. I can't see them in any true alliance.
Sabine, on the other hand...

F.Harr
2013-03-17, 02:15 PM
It looks like they're being set up for Team Evil losing this gate, then seizing Kraagor's gate. Since the ritual takes weeks to complete, this gives the Order time to lose the final gate, have some other stuff happen, and attack the gate again in a big dramatic showdown. Probably without Belkar, who may die before the battle.

Possible. It's also possible that Belkar will die in a final redeaming act saving the world.

137beth
2013-03-17, 03:11 PM
Possible. It's also possible that Belkar will die in a final redeaming act saving the world.

Like, exactly the same way as Kraagor?

oppyu
2013-03-17, 03:43 PM
That's how I've been imagining it would go down for a while. Kraagor (Belkar) would sacrifice himself, leading to a rift developing between Soon Kim (Roy), Girard (Haley) and Serini (Elan), Dorukan (Vaarsuvius), and Lirian (Durkon). Of course, in this version Dorukan and Lirian aren't knocking boots, but otherwise the anaology works pretty well... also, Lirian died early.

F.Harr
2013-03-19, 04:02 PM

I don't know. Ddi Kraagor need redeeming?

Procyonpi
2013-03-20, 11:44 PM

I think you're missing the essence of Belkar's character.

SowZ
2013-03-21, 03:56 AM
That's how I've been imagining it would go down for a while. Kraagor (Belkar) would sacrifice himself, leading to a rift developing between Soon Kim (Roy), Girard (Haley) and Serini (Elan), Dorukan (Vaarsuvius), and Lirian (Durkon). Of course, in this version Dorukan and Lirian aren't knocking boots, but otherwise the anaology works pretty well... also, Lirian died early.

I fail to see how Belkar dying would garner resentment from Haley. The only way I could see Haley resenting Roy is if Roy's plan put Elan in danger and Elan was the one to die. Durkon is too self sacrificing and V intelligent enough that Haley would know not to blame Roy if one of those two got killed.

Silverionmox
2013-03-21, 04:14 AM
I think you're missing the essence of Belkar's character.

They call it "character growth" for a reason.

Zweisteine
2013-03-21, 06:51 PM

Ummm... If Belkar ever has any character growth, it's only going to start after this most recent comic, with his having lived through an NDE. All other character development is fake.

Also, have you considered the possibility that all five gates will be destroyed, or that characters will enter one of the rifts?
After all, there is a world within, and that will certainly be important in the future.

Finally, the Order doesn't actually need to be able to win at this gate. they may be forced into an alliance with Tarquin, Nale, and co. to defeat Xykon, or Xykon and Tarquin will weaken each other enough that both, or just Xyxkon has to retreat (however unlikely it may be). They may have to even work with Durkula, because they have no other chance to save existence.

It actually shouldn't be too bad if Tarquin gets a gate, He has no plans to summon the Snarl, that we know of.

SavageWombat
2013-03-21, 07:01 PM
Ummm... If Belkar ever has any character growth, it's only going to start after this most recent comic, with his having lived through an NDE. All other character development is fake.

Belkar had nothing to gain and no-one to impress by helping Gannji and Enor (sp?) escape. The old Belkar wouldn't have bothered.

crayzz
2013-03-21, 07:20 PM

Belkar's growth has been subtle; it's not entirely fake.

Saving Enor and Ganji for one. He also doesn't take any joy in Durkon's (un)death. He used to take joy in random violence, even if it wasn't funny. He doesn't seem to anymore, at least no when the target was someone trying to save him.

Zweisteine
2013-03-21, 07:28 PM
Oh yeah... I totally forgot about Enor and Gannji... Hmmm... I still don't think he'll reach the point of self-sacrifice (for anyone but Mr. Scruffy) anytime soon.

Ramax
2013-03-21, 07:30 PM
Belkar had nothing to gain and no-one to impress by helping Gannji and Enor (sp?) escape. The old Belkar wouldn't have bothered.

I also tend to think that the old Belkar would have wanted the additional power that comes with getting vamped. If he was truly still evil and enjoyed random violence that much, then why not jump at the chance?

phobiandarkmoon
2013-03-22, 05:04 AM

Except that Belkar hasn't had character growth in that sense - he's realised he needs to FAKE character growth to pull the wool over people's eyes and play the game for as long as he can.

He's definitely not in a place where he'd sacrifice his life for the good of the world. Someone else's life, perhaps.

hamishspence
2013-03-22, 05:42 AM
The Fake character growth is simultaneous with Real character growth- at least, with respect to Mr Scruffy.

But that, while a change, is not a big one.

Mr.Rictus
2013-03-22, 05:56 AM
Oh yeah... I totally forgot about Enor and Gannji... Hmmm... I still don't think he'll reach the point of self-sacrifice (for anyone but Mr. Scruffy) anytime soon.

Since Mr.Scruffy is part of this world, if he died saving the world, he would die saving Mr.Scruffy.