PDA

View Full Version : Last of the Mohicans weapon

JellyPooga
2006-11-13, 10:41 AM
I was watching The Last of the Mohicans the other night and was wondering what D-Day Lewis' characters' Dads weapon would be in D&D terms (the Blue-Choppy-Thing-With-A-Spike-On-The-Back)

I first thought Bastard Sword, but that doesn't account for the spike and it's clearly not any of the other weapons. So I got thinking, what would be fair stats for such a weapon.

For those who haven't seen it or don't know what I'm talking about, it's a large hunk of metal, that's wieldable in 1 or 2 hands. It has a large chopping blade with a lot of weight behind it and it has a spike on the reverse side.

So I was thinking something along the lines of:

Choppy-Thing (name need work) [One Handed Exotic Weapon]
Damage: 1d8 / 1d6
Critical: 19-20 x2 / x4
Type: Slashing / Piercing
Wt. ??

The Choppy-Thing is a large brutish weapon that requires a great deal of skill to wield effectively. It may be wielded Two Handed as a Martial weapon or One Handed as an Exotic Weapon, though you may only use one side or the other. Changing damage types is a free action. you may also wield it Two Handed as an Exotic Double Weapon, taking TWF penalties as if wielding two One Handed Weapons (i.e. -4 / -4 ).

I made the TWF penalties greater than normal for Double Weapons because I thought it needed something to balance the flexibility that the weapon gives (i.e. you can use it as a 1-handed, 2-handed or Dual-Wield weapon). It also fits the large unwieldy lump of steel idea behind it. Thoughts?

XtheYeti
2006-11-13, 12:45 PM
Its a wierd lookin axe, but the wepon looks great. call it the mohign axe of deathness or something funny

Magnus_Samma
2006-11-13, 10:58 PM
I thought that was a kind of interesting weapon. I'd assume it's either a really wierd tomahawk or some kind of warclub (Native American warclubs often had single spikes like that).

I like the mechanics- really versatile, and really creative. The penalties to dual wielding keep it more or less balanced (as if needing a feat to use it properly didn't already do that...).

Out of curiosity, how would Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting affect it?

JellyPooga
2006-11-14, 10:16 PM
Presumably, Oversized TWF would reduce the penalties to -2/-2 because it's treated as wielding two one handed weapons.

I thought it needed more than just the single feat to keep it balanced because all other double weapons are two handed as standard, whereas this one is one handed as standard. I did consider allowing it to be used as a double weapon one handed, but I thought that it might be a bit unbalanced (both rules-wise and physically) to do that.

At first I was going to make it 1d10/1d6, but to keep it in line with other double weapons and to make the 'heavy pick' side useful I reduced it to 1d8, simply for the purpose of criticals (2d8 average = 9, 2d10 average = 11, 4d6 average = 14).

icke
2006-11-25, 12:25 PM
Why should one be able to do two-weapon fighting with that thing? I mean, it's neither long enaugh nor balanced as a double weapon, the dangerous ends, so to speak, are actually on the same side of the weapon. I'd say skip the two-weapon fighting and the club will be fine.

Name: mohican war club? Don't know, sounds not all the way right...