PDA

View Full Version : Torment 2

Winter
2013-03-06, 10:28 AM
For all those of you who remember Planescape: Torment...

It was one of the best games ever made. It was complex, deep, gritty, thoughtful. It did not care much for convention but tried to be "different" from typical RPG clichés and succeeded.

Now they (well, some of "them") are trying to make a spiritual successor and I welcome this chance. Maybe it'll stink in the end, maybe they do not succeed with what they set out, but the chance alone to get a deeply unique, awesome game is fully worth it, I think.

If you want, please head over to their kickstarter and shovel all money you have left over to them. :smalltongue:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera

Comet
2013-03-06, 10:38 AM
I think the art offered is phenomenal, evocative and grand in all the right ways. Which is good, before we don't really have anything else to go on at the moment except for some broad themes which do admittedly seem right on the money but could still go wrong somewhere along the line.

Still, excited for some more dialogue trees and the team does have the credentials for greatness.

edit: Also, the world actually seems really interesting. Which is weird, because all I heard about it when it first came out courtesy of mr. Cook was apathy. Never looked into it, maybe I should have.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-03-06, 10:47 AM
Obviously, it's going to be RUINED FOREVER. :smalltongue:

I'll check this out--so many Kickstarters!

Eldan
2013-03-06, 11:09 AM
Hmm....

I wasn't really impressed so far... I mean, they don't have a lot of the big names that made Torment what it is (i.e. Avellone), and Cook was never really all that great on his own. The first round of art was also rather boring.

Now, I am hearing a lot of good names (Ray Vallese, Kevin Saunders, Colin McComb), and the new art is a lot more evocative.

Weezer
2013-03-06, 01:25 PM
Looks interesting, but like all these "sequel to classic game" kickstarters, I'll wait until there's more than concept art and cool names behind it, just don't trust that the final product will be any good. Also, not a big Monte Cook fan, especially with his solo work, and anything he had to do with crunch, so that's a bit of a turn off.

Winter
2013-03-06, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I'd also be more happy if Avellone was also in the boat. But at least they have a plan (in contrast to that Thorvalla-fiasko). But the chance to a PS:T2 is all I can hope for.

And given it'll make a million $ in about 10 hours, I am pretty sure someone is going to have a very bad evening for regretting of not having given them the actual Planescape-setting (and as such having a lot of money going into their coffers). I guess that someone underestimated the potential that game still has.
I just hope they actually have to cry! :smalltongue:

Morty
2013-03-06, 03:31 PM
I'm rather skeptical because of the setting it's supposed to take place in - my opinion on Monte Cook in general and Numenera is particular is... not very high.

Weezer
2013-03-06, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I'd also be more happy if Avellone was also in the boat. But at least they have a plan (in contrast to that Thorvalla-fiasko). But the chance to a PS:T2 is all I can hope for.

And given it'll make a million $ in about 10 hours, I am pretty sure someone is going to have a very bad evening for regretting of not having given them the actual Planescape-setting (and as such having a lot of money going into their coffers). I guess that someone underestimated the potential that game still has.
I just hope they actually have to cry! :smalltongue:

One million really isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things, especially in something as expensive as game design.

And I feel much the same way Morty.

Winter
2013-03-06, 04:28 PM
One million really isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things, especially in something as expensive as game design.

You mean 1 million in 7 hours? :smalleek:

Eldan
2013-03-06, 05:18 PM
You mean 1 million in 7 hours? :smalleek:

Plus all the time they invested in hyping it up. IN those few months, they could also have haggled with a single investor who signed them a check over that amount.

Just saying.

Edit: So wait. The setting is Terminal World with the colour wheel from Magic: the Gathering?

Pronounceable
2013-03-07, 01:10 AM
1,5M$ on day 1? That just has to be a record.

Winter
2013-03-07, 02:18 AM
Just saying.

Don't get me wrong, but I think you have no idea what you are talking about in this regard. You don't get money for projects like this from great publishers (and I do not mean "You do not get a million or two", you get nothing at all, no matter how many months you ask). And should you do, they add an "always on" requirements, demand it to be made in 3D, remove your complex RPG-fighting system, force you drop some of the more mature themes, force you to add "a stock character of the ethnicity that the marketing department has found to be still missing", demand you finish three months earlier, even if you are not ready... I guess if you speak to someone from "the industry", you'll hear even more.

And btw, they also cross-finance the game from their sales of The Bard's Tale which got back into sale a few months ago (and according to them has sold a few 100k copies since then) and also plan to move money from Wasteland 2 over to Torment once WL2 starts to sell.

As it looks now, all this does not seem to be necessary.

Lost Demiurge
2013-03-08, 10:47 AM
Ah, Torment. Another holy grail of gaming!

Seriously, good on them for trying! Of course, if they really want to do a sequel right, they'll have a TON of writing to do, and a LOT of player choices to factor in. A LOT.

As in, they best have started the game script already, because if they haven't they'll be working on it for at least 3-4 years, if not more.

Otherwise it's not a Torment Sequel.

Let's see, what else...

Ah, compelling characters. Unique, non-cliche characters with deep backstories and strong personalities. That's pretty much a must-have.

Oh, and it'd be nice to have gameplay that isn't tedious.

Choices that MATTER. That's big too...

Yeah. This isn't going to be easy. Hope they can pull it off!