PDA

View Full Version : Could Durkon and Marak be lovers

Luna_Mayflower
2013-03-06, 04:53 PM
Well, even though he killed him, Malak still honoured Durkon's last wish. Plus, he really wants to make DURKON free, but he had to wait. The two seem to really like each other, so maybe they're more than friends. I know if my friend asked me to not eat his friend after I ate him, I probably would do it anyway, so could they be more than friends. I know Rick likes to have relationships in his comic, the Order of the Stick, so why not have a same gender relationship.

We know that Rick isn't against same gender relationships, from the strip with Haley's gay spirit. So can we not say that maybe old Malak m'gee might have a soft spot for the bearded wonder?

:durkon: :wink: :redcloak: (Couldn't find Malak, so I had to settle for Redclock)

Rui
2013-03-06, 04:55 PM
Not likely. Durkon is straight, he slept with Hylga. Plus, we never saw that interest in any one of them.

Angulf
2013-03-06, 05:03 PM
Besides what Rui said, beyond genders, it goes into the necro-zoophiliac business :P

Edit: And given that Malack converted Durkon, it makes him his "father" technically, thus making this incest too and... oh God...

SavageWombat
2013-03-06, 05:09 PM
Well, even though he killed him, Malak still honoured Durkon's last wish. Plus, he really wants to make DURKON free, but he had to wait. The two seem to really like each other, so maybe they're more than friends. I know if my friend asked me to not eat his friend after I ate him, I probably would do it anyway, so could they be more than friends. I know Rick likes to have relationships in his comic, the Order of the Stick, so why not have a same gender relationship.

We know that Rick isn't against same gender relationships, from the strip with Haley's gay spirit. So can we not say that maybe old Malak m'gee might have a soft spot for the bearded wonder?

:durkon: :wink: :redcloak: (Couldn't find Malak, so I had to settle for Redclock)

If you're going to go all Anne Rice here, you might as well assume that gender has nothing to do with vampire love. Sex doesn't enter into it.

Ravenloft, BTW, has special rules for vampire brides. They don't work the same way.

Mutant Sheep
2013-03-06, 05:11 PM
Ok, one, Marak is an androdygenous Yugioh Villain. Two, if they were lovers, it would have probably come up. Three, if them being lovers is what makes Malack not eat Belkar, why would he kill Durkon? Four, where in the infinite demiplanes did you get this idea and what are the coordinates?

Feddlefew
2013-03-06, 05:14 PM
Ok, one, Marak is an androdygenous Yugioh Villain. Two, if they were lovers, it would have probably come up. Three, if them being lovers is what makes Malack not eat Belkar, why would he kill Durkon? Four, where in the infinite demiplanes did you get this idea and what are the coordinates?

Five: Malack has explicitly stated he wanted a fraternal relationship with Durkon.

Cizak
2013-03-06, 05:15 PM
{scrubbed}

Rakoa
2013-03-06, 05:30 PM
{scrubbed}

Porthos
2013-03-06, 05:35 PM
{scrubbed}

Shred-Bot
2013-03-06, 05:43 PM
Don't forget the misspelling of Redcloak as Redclock. Trolling here folks, nobody take seriously.

I eagerly await the day when someone misspells Durkon as Dorukan or vice-versa. It will be glorious.

As for any potential dwarf/lizgreaper romance, all I have to say is: once Durkon goes scaly, he'll be back daily. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0676.html)

And now to bleach my own brain.

KillingAScarab
2013-03-06, 05:47 PM
Don't forget the misspelling of Redcloak as Redclock. Trolling here folks, nobody take seriously.*disengages Srs Bsns mode*
But I have to respond to this.

If you're going to go all Anne Rice here, you might as well assume that gender has nothing to do with vampire love. Sex doesn't enter into it.Also, by the start of the second book he appears in, Malack will need to have become a jaded rock star.

Ravenloft, BTW, has special rules for vampire brides. They don't work the same way.Which incarnation of Ravenloft would that be? All I remember from the d20 version put out by Sword & Sorcery are the age categories and the merits and flaws salient powers.

Thrax
2013-03-06, 05:49 PM
OP, congratulations on hitting everything I'm personally grossed out by when it comes to sex: male undead lizard-snake and male undead dwarf. On second thought, you managed to avoid getting spiders in there.

Disclaimer: this is not an expression of homophobia, this is an expression of finding male body repulsive.

SavageWombat
2013-03-06, 06:01 PM
Which incarnation of Ravenloft would that be? All I remember from the d20 version put out by Sword & Sorcery are the age categories and the merits and flaws salient powers.

It's from the 2nd ed Van Richten's Guide to Vampires. Lots of fun details. A "vampire bride" is created to be a companion instead of a thrall, and is completely dependent on the creator to teach it how to feed, survive, use powers, etc. The other difference is that eventually the bride will learn how much control the creator has over it - that is to say, NONE.

KillianHawkeye
2013-03-06, 06:26 PM
Why? Just, why? :smallsigh:

Angulf
2013-03-06, 06:37 PM
Why? Just, why? :smallsigh:

Because the human mind dwells in dark places, where incestnecrozoophilia is possible.

Themrys
2013-03-06, 06:42 PM
Not likely. Durkon is straight, he slept with Hylga. Plus, we never saw that interest in any one of them.

I'd like to point out that, in fact, there are people who are bisexual.

However, while I think they're shippable - more than most of the pairings in the Crack-pairing-thread - I don't think they have to be more than friends just because Malack honored Durkon's last wish. Malack is lonely and his mind is twisted, which is why he mind-raped Durkon (Durkon hates undead, it is very, very cruel to turn him into what he hates), but he has no equally strong motivation to ignore Durkon's last wish. Their friendship, on the other hand, gives him motivation to spare Belkar.

@Angulf: Like Xykon, Malack probably isn't one of those disgusting biophiliacs.Necrophilia is the saner alternative for him. :smallbiggrin:

That said, the power imbalance between them would make any relationship sick and twisted.

Leecros
2013-03-06, 07:02 PM
Bah, it wouldn't really be Zoophilia because that's relations between a humanoid and an animal and Malack is a Monstrous Humanoid. It's nothing unheard of in a world with half-ogres,giants,dragons, other things.

However that's hardly the biggest issue at hand. :smalltongue:

SavageWombat
2013-03-06, 07:19 PM
This thread is gaining traction. Be afraid.

/that's what she said

Thrillhouse
2013-03-06, 07:40 PM
I posted this in another thread, but I think it speaks to what OP is seeing. My answer is, no, they're not, but perhaps this is why you are thinking that way:

I have a sort of ridiculous theory about vampirism, that might shed some light on how Malack looks at the Durkon "that was" and the one that is now. Or it might be crazy.

With the living, children are made through a positive act based on a loving relationship between the two involved (ideally). Doing so creates a new individual with some of the traits of each person involved.

With the dead, we have a perverse parody of this. Vampires are created through a destructive act based on NEGATIVE feelings towards the other person--you have to KILL them. It's not an act of love or affection itself(the opposite, in fact), even though it may be done out of a desire for companionship--Malack would NOT have done this had his relationship with Durkon remained positive.

But the point is, Malack looks at this as essentially the undead equivalent of reproduction, which might help explain his attitude towards the living "Malack"(or whatever his old name was) and Durkon. In some bizarre, twisted way, the vampire that bit the "ignorant shaman" and that shaman himself are Malack's "parents", but the creation of this child requires the extinction of one of the "parents". Thus, the idea of a "complicated way of destroying me" in ressurection is not just a matter of eliminating his life's experiences. He feels that he would revive the parent by killing its offspring(Malack), just as Malack himself was "born" through the destruction of his "parent".

Thus, it is a similar situation with Durkon. Malack considers "the Durkon that was" to be long gone, but does expect Durkon's "offspring" to share some of his characteristics.

I want to make EMINENTLY clear here that I am not asserting some sort of homosexual relationship between Malack and Durkon. Durkon is not his "spouse". Indeed, such a thing would make no sense--it would imply postive connection to the other person rather than the negative desire associated with a murder. In fact, their connection, as he describes, is a fraternal one.

The point being--vampirism is a perversion of life, and thus using life-based metaphors to describe it will always seem a bit innaccurate. In the same way that Tsukiko considered herself the "mother" of her Wights without any sense of there being a "father", Malack is in a REALLY messed up way Durkon's parent and brother at the same time.

Angulf
2013-03-06, 07:47 PM
Still Malack got to touch Durkon with his big stick.

rgrekejin
2013-03-06, 07:49 PM
I know if my friend asked me to not eat his friend after I ate him, I probably would do it anyway

...I ...umm ...well. I'm glad you've given this situation the careful consideration that it clearly merits. You can't just make decisions like whether or not you're going to eat your friend's friends on a whim, you know.

Zea mays
2013-03-06, 08:13 PM
Luna, everything is fine, science now has a cure for what ails you. :smallwink:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e275/rima_long/path4036.png

Flame of Anor
2013-03-06, 09:16 PM
As this thread seems to be eminently pointless, I'd like to take the opportunity to compliment Geomancer on her Kvothe avatar.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e275/rima_long/Kvothe3.png

Angulf
2013-03-06, 09:21 PM
As this thread seems to be eminently pointless, I'd like to take the opportunity to compliment Geomancer on her Kvothe avatar.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e275/rima_long/Kvothe3.png

I'll do that too, none of my jokes where funny in the thread... soooo...

Shred-Bot
2013-03-06, 09:28 PM
Bah, it wouldn't really be Zoophilia because that's relations between a humanoid and an animal and Malack is a Monstrous Humanoid. It's nothing unheard of in a world with half-ogres,giants,dragons, other things.

However that's hardly the biggest issue at hand. :smalltongue:

I'd call it either Xenophilia or Phobophilia, depending on whether it was the otherness or the scariness that caused the attraction.

Also, if it gets enough posts it can become the biggest issue!:smallyuk:

Zea mays
2013-03-06, 09:37 PM
Oh gorsh thanks Flame of Anor (epic user name btw) and angulf :smallredface:

Rakoa
2013-03-06, 09:42 PM
Perhaps it would be prudent to actually address the thread title?

No.

Done! We can all stop keeping it alive now. :smallwink:

Tetsujin-28
2013-03-06, 09:44 PM
To quote Xykon.

"Alright, alright! Take it to the Fanfiction websites!"

WindStruck
2013-03-06, 11:15 PM
:durkon: Och, lad, this nay be an episode o' Twa'light!

DoctorWhooves
2013-03-06, 11:35 PM
I have never before wanted so badly to see The Giant comment on a particular thread.

Malak'ai
2013-03-06, 11:37 PM
I have never before wanted so badly to see The Giant comment on a particular thread.

I think he's trying to stop himself from gouging his eyes out from just seeing the thread title :smalltongue:.

Angulf
2013-03-07, 12:17 AM
I'm trying to find more puns for this but... I feel the system is overloaded. It's got "no" written everywhere. Poor Giant if he reads this.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-03-07, 12:18 AM
{Scrubbed}

Finn Solomon
2013-03-07, 09:52 AM
The proper term is 'smite evil', not 'bump uglies.'

martianmister
2013-03-07, 03:36 PM
Don't forget, there could be a love-triangle as well:

I know what changed Belkar. Remember when V saved Belkar's life (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0335.html)? Durkon just saved Belkar's life. Is Belkar lusting after Durkon now? Will it turn into a vampire love story?

Ted The Bug
2013-03-07, 03:45 PM
No.

We had a thread for that kind of stuff once. Not pretty. Also, pretty sure Durkon is straight.

Steward
2013-03-07, 03:49 PM
Honestly, I doubt it. Based on comic 877, I get the impression that, in the OOTSverse, vampires can determine the relationship that they have with their offspring. Some of them are treated like children (such as what Malack implies he will do to Durkon), some of them are treated like brothers, some of them presumably may be like lovers, but Malack seems to think of Durkon like a peer or a colleague in the academic sense. Their joint venture ('Mass Death Ward') was like two scientists publishing a paper together.

Chantelune
2013-03-07, 03:57 PM
Honestly, I doubt it. Based on comic 877, I get the impression that, in the OOTSverse, vampires can determine the relationship that they have with their offspring. Some of them are treated like children (such as what Malack implies he will do to Durkon), some of them are treated like brothers, some of them presumably may be like lovers, but Malack seems to think of Durkon like a peer or a colleague in the academic sense. Their joint venture ('Mass Death Ward') was like two scientists publishing a paper together.

That whole "children/brother/whatever" deal might just be how Malack consider siring other vampires. Hard to say just how widely his opinion on the matter concern every vampires in the ootsverse as so far, Malack is the only vampire we know off (Well, there's Durkon now as well, but he's just turned and still enthralled).

Steward
2013-03-07, 04:07 PM
That's a good point. I was just estimating. I don't think it has any mechanical or physical impact; I just think that it's possible for Malack to consider some of his spawned vampires in one way and others in another way. If he had converted Belkar, he probably wouldn't have thought of him as a colleague or peer at any point.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter to anyone but Malack what he calls them -- I just think it's an interesting point.

Roland St. Jude
2013-03-14, 01:03 AM
Sheriff: Thread locked. On-topic it's a problem and off-topic it's pointless.