PDA

View Full Version : An alternative harpoon-based charger

Kazyan
2013-03-06, 04:57 PM
So I tried to make a TO-ish charger using the returning harpoon trick, because it's basically a damage multiplier that gets around the usual multiplication rules. This happened. If you're DMing something, don't let returning harpoons work how your players want them to work, and for the love of The Giant, don't let White Raven maneuvers work with Dvati.

I'm intending not to use so many RAW loopholes for this build, because of the harpoon interpretation. Even so, I really don't like the fact that this build can't afford Power Attack until level 6 without flaws, or that it has to use LA buyoff.

Dvati LA+1(bought off)/LST Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 1/Warblade 4/Bloodstorm Blade 4/Warblade +10/Fighter 1

Feats:
1 Battle Jump
3 Point Blank Shot
6 Power Attack
(Bonus) 8 Cleave
9 Leap Attack
12 Improved Bull Rush
15 Shock Trooper
18 Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Harpoon)
(Bonus) 20 Martial Study (War Master's Charge)

STR 17, +6 enh, +2 inherent, +5 from levels = 30 Str. Only a +2 inherent because we're not going to buy an incredibly expensive manual twice; get the cheaper version. The twins have +5 Collision Valorous harpoons, probably getting the +5 from Greater Magic Weapon or something--weapons equivalent to +8 don't come cheap, and again, we need two. The twins also need some way of maximizing Jump to the point where they can reach at least 15 feet in the air on a running jump--DC 60 is a tall order, but I think it can be managed with WBL alone. Jump is very easy to maximize. Note that, if the enemy is Large or larger, we're going to need another +20 to jump somehow. Finally, both of them will have Feathered Wings grafts, which makes them Evil as a byproduct. A natural fly speed doesn't violate Battle Jump.

Maneuvers known:
Any two low-level White Raven maneuvers, War Leader's Charge, Leading The Charge, War Master's Charge, any Iron Heart strike, and any Iron Heart stance. Typically, this build will have two Iron Heart manuevers readied, War Leader's Charge, War Master's Charge, and whatever else.

In the beginning of combat, the Dvati twins are in the Leading the Charge stance. Battle begins. As a swift action, they activate Thunderous Throw, and then they rage into 34 Str. (You only need one use of rage to get them both to flip out; it's how Dvati work.) One of them initiates War Master's Charge, which allows the other to charge as an immediate action alongside their twin. They both charge, leap, and descend down to the enemy--per Races of the Wild, you can make a dive attack with a piercing weapon, which is what a harpoon is. Using Thunderous Throw, both lob their freaking harpoons at the poor schmuck, using standard Shock Trooper/Leap Attack. Whirling Frenzy gives them an additional attack on thier Pounce, and the full attack is available because of Lightning Ricochet. One of the twins will resolve their full attack from 5' above the target [1st]--proceeding to fall into a Battle Jump [2nd]--and the other from 50' away [3rd]. After this, the other twin still has a full-round action, which of course is used for a dive-charge [4th]--ending 5' above the target, aand then falling into a Battle Jump [5th].

The Dvati end up with five charges in their first turn:
- One has a +50 damage bonus from War Master's Charge
- One has a +25 damage bonus from War Master's Charge
- One has a +35 damage bonus from War Leader's Charge
- Two are Battle Jumps, and do not count as dive attacks

The PA multiplier is a mere x3, and the charge multipliers are x3 in every case (Dive or Battle Jump + Valorous). There are five attacks per charge, and when the Harpoons return, they deal exit-wound damage. Harpoons require a reflex save to get stuck in in the first place, but there's no critical-hit way to do more damage with the exit wound. Because of the case of the enemy rolling a natural 20 on the reflex save, I'll multiply the average damage of the exit wound by 19/20. For attack rolls, I multiply by 399/400--assuming enough to-hit to hit on a 2, which shouldn't be hard for an ubercharger. So the total dice-gods multiplier is for damage is 0.9725625.

Total damage from one turn:

0.9725625 dice god disapproval * 3 charge multiplier * 5 attacks * (33.5 damage + 60 PA damage + 50 War Master's Charge damage + 17 Leading the Charge) = 2341.444219 damage on 1st charge

0.9725625 dice god disapproval * 3 charge multiplier * 5 attacks * (33.5 damage + 60 PA damage + 17 Leading the Charge) = 1612.022344 damage on 2nd charge

0.9725625 dice god disapproval * 3 charge multiplier * 5 attacks * (33.5 damage + 60 PA damage + 25 War Master's Charge damage + 17 Leading the Charge) = 1976.733281 damage on 3rd charge

0.9725625 dice god disapproval * 3 charge multiplier * 5 attacks * (33.5 damage + 60 PA damage + 35 War Leader's Charge damage + 17 Leading the Charge) = 2122.617656 damage on 4rd charge

0.9725625 dice god disapproval * 3 charge multiplier * 5 attacks * (33.5 damage + 60 PA damage + 17 Leading the Charge) = 1612.022344 damage on 5th charge

The total average damage is 9664.839844 =~ 9665. *crushes scouter*

By choosing attack targets more carefully, some of that damage can be spread around to other targets within harpoon-throwing range, which is 150 feet. If they don't survive, Cleave. If they do, somehow, War Master's Charge could stun them for one round with no save. It depends on the attack pattern.

If you see any rules violations, please let me know.

Slipperychicken
2013-03-06, 05:03 PM
I'm AFB, but don't Harpoons only deal exit damage when the target takes an action to remove them?

kardar233
2013-03-06, 05:53 PM
I'm AFB, but don't Harpoons only deal exit damage when the target takes an action to remove them?

That is correct. Of course, it's silly that a person extricating a harpoon out of themselves deals exit damage, while having it ripped right out of them is just fine.

Kazyan
2013-03-06, 06:34 PM

Exactly. +1 Returning Harpoons get mentioned occasionally on the forums, and if you allow that (and other "lateral" multipliers such as Dvati and War Master's Charge), you end up with two 150' radii of charge-murder on the field.