PDA

View Full Version : (d and d 3.5) A very painful transmutation spell.

smoke prism
2013-03-07, 02:57 AM
Blood to lava
Transmutation (Fire)
Level: sor/wiz 9, Drd 9
Component: V, S,M
Casting time: 1 action
Range: close (25 feet + 5 feet/per 2 level
Target: one creature with "blood-like substance"
Duration: instantaneous
Saving throw: fortitude partial
Spell resistance: yes

By invoking powerful magic the lump of obsidian in the mages out stretched hand remembers when it was lava. Drawing on these images the mage draws on his knowledge of transmutation to turn the targets blood (momentarily) in to lava. In doing this the piece of obsidian reverts back in to the lava that birthed it and drips to the floor. The target must make a fortitude save, or collapse into a pool of lava. Even if the target makes a successful save it still takes 10d6 points of fire damage. If the target losses more than half Its hit original hit point from the fire damage, all the craters ability scores are permanently reduced by half, because of the mass trauma that the whole of the targets body has endures.

This spell has no effect on creatures with any blood (e.g. most un-dead).

Material: To transmute the blood of the target in to lava the spell caster needs a small volcanic rock that is used to channel the energy of the volcano. Ones the spell is cast the rock melts in the wizard hand (deals NO damage to the spell caster*

Pleas PEACH and tell me if there is any adjustments on how I can improve this spell, also spell level may be off i am not a very good juge when it comes to things like that.

LordErebus12
2013-03-07, 03:18 AM
im thinking this should deal damage to the caster, as like an additional sacrifice, it feels cheapened somehow without it.

Emperor Ing
2013-03-07, 03:48 AM
Keep in mind there are 5th level save-or-die spells. This one seems alright barring the grammatical errors, though if anything it feels a bit weak, because by this time most of your enemies are either going to be making the fortitude save with no difficulty, or are constructs/undead/creatures that won't have blood for the most part.

LordErebus12
2013-03-07, 04:13 AM
https://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/arcana1000/1181_Incinerate04.jpg

Blood to Lava
Transmutation (Fire)
Level: Druid 9, sorcerer/wizard 9
Component: V,S,M
Casting Time: full round action
Range: close (25 feet + 5 feet/2 levels)
Target: one creature with "blood-like substance"
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see below
Spell Resistance: yes

Chanting aggressive words in ignan, the rock held aloft ignites, rock turning to lava within the casters hand.

Unless the target makes a successful fortitude save, the target's blood is instantly converted into lava. This incinerates the target, killing it instantly; the lava pooling on the floor beneath the target. If the target makes its fortitude save, it still takes 10d6 points of fire damage from the heat created by the spell.

If the target losses more than half it's hit points from this fire damage, the target's ability scores suffer a -5 penalty each. This ability damage is so extensively cursed that it can only be cured by a successful wish or miracle spell.

This spell has no effect on creatures without a constitution score, or is without blood. However, Plant creatures suffer 20d6 points of fire from this spell.

Material: a small volcanic rock (such as obsidian, pumace, or basalt) carved with the ignan rune for volcano.

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-03-07, 04:26 AM
This is a very useful spell. Being a transmutation rather than Necromancy (Death), it wouldn't be stopped by Death Ward and similar immunities.

I wonder how it matches against Implosion though. Implosion also isn't a Death effect and can target 1 creature per round (it lasts several rounds) but doesn't deal damage.

smoke prism
2013-03-07, 01:20 PM
Thank you for comments everyone.

Clearing up grammatical errors

I am also changing the Fluff

Network
2013-03-07, 02:14 PM
Shouldn't it be of the fire subschool? It would be weird to kill a red dragon by transforming its blood into something inoffensive. Just a thought.

smoke prism
2013-03-07, 02:21 PM
Shouldn't it be of the fire subschool? It would be weird to kill a red dragon by transforming its blood into something inoffensive. Just a thought.

Good point.

Jota
2013-03-07, 02:58 PM
I will say I find LordErebus' version to have more precise language and is the better of the two in that regard.

With regard to ability score penalties, halved is usually much more significant than a -5 penalty, and the original offers no provision for healing which makes it much nastier, but in either case 35 damage is very unlikely to be equivalent to half a creature's health at level 17. If you meant 'reduces the creature to below half health,' that's something different entirely, but you're still talking about a save or die here. The debuff is unlikely to be of much use considering the purpose of the spell is to kill people, not maim them, and if you've already got them to close to half health chances are someone will kill them off in a round anyway.

Given all that, assuming that this is intended for a tier one or two/wizard level game, I'd put it at a six or seven. It depends on which version you use, and what the intent behind "If the target losses [sic] more than half it's hit points from this fire damage" was.

LordErebus12
2013-03-07, 03:28 PM
Blood to lava
Transmutation (Fire)
Level: sor/wiz 9
This should include druids, as its a natural world type spell, imo
Component: V, S,M
Casting time: 1 action
what type of action?
Range: close (25 feet + 5 feet/level
its 25 + 5 per two levels, not per level
Target: one opponent within range
specify target slightly, like i did
Duration: instantaneous
Saving throw: fortitude partial
Spell resistance: yes

By invoking powerful magic the lump of obsidian in the mages out stretched hand remembers when it was lava. Drawing on these images the mage draws on his knowledge of transmutation to turn the targets blood (momentarily) in to lava. (why must it be momentarily at that high of a level?) In doing this the piece of obsidian reverts back in to the lava that birthed it and drips to the ground.

The caster makes a range touch attack. If it hits the target must make fortitude save, or swiftly collapse into a pool of lava, that quickly Disappears as the magic that transmuted the blood swiftly dissipates, leaving behind a pool of blood. (spells dont call for a save and a ranged touch attack, its either or... i think in the sense of a save or die effect it should be the former)

Even if the target makes a successful save it still takes 10d6 points of fire damage from the lava that flowed throughout its body. If the target losses more than half Its hit points, all the craters ability scores are permanently reduced by half, because of the mass trauma that the whole of the targets body has endures.

This spell has no effect on creatures with any blood (e.g. most un-dead).
(chlorophyll is equivalent to blood in plants, so it should affect them accordingly, imo)

Material: To transmute the blood of the target in to lava the spell caster needs a small volcanic rock that is used to channel the energy of the volcano. Ones the spell is cast the rock melts in the wizard hand (deals NO damage to the spell caster)

Pleas PEACH and tell me if there is any adjustments on how I can improve this spell, also spell level may be off i am not a very good juge when it comes to things like that.

see the red text for my critique.