PDA

View Full Version : Ways of adding energy/elemental damage to a monk's unarmed strike.

Joe Eskimo
2013-03-07, 05:33 AM
Specifically items. I'd like to give my monk cold or energy damage in a passive item. Like gloves.

TuggyNE
2013-03-07, 05:46 AM
Necklace of natural attacks has you covered. (Weird slot, but whatcha gonna do?)

Joe Eskimo
2013-03-07, 06:10 AM
Does it add energy damage? Like 1d6 cold damage? From what I read it does the same as an amulet of mighty fists. Only cheaper.

TuggyNE
2013-03-07, 06:30 AM
Does it add energy damage? Like 1d6 cold damage? From what I read it does the same as an amulet of mighty fists. Only cheaper.

Since you can put frost on it, yes. AoMF only allows numeric enhancements.

HunterOfJello
2013-03-07, 06:40 AM
Could you please give a bit more information on your monk's build? His stats, race, level, and feats will dictate what options may be available to him.

Drelua
2013-03-07, 06:57 AM
I know you wanted an item, but there's a feat in Dragon Magic(?) that lets you burn a use of stunning fist to add d6 energy damage for a round, or something like that. I don't actually have the book, so I'm not sure what it's called or how exactly it works. It should stack with a necklace of natural attacks, but I can't say with absolute certainty; I'm sure someone else can give you a better description.

lord_khaine
2013-03-07, 07:00 AM
I know you wanted an item, but there's a feat in Dragon Magic(?) that lets you burn a use of stunning fist to add d6 energy damage for a round, or something like that. I don't actually have the book, so I'm not sure what it's called or how exactly it works. It should stack with a necklace of natural attacks, but I can't say with absolute certainty; I'm sure someone else can give you a better description.

I would say its a complete waste of a feat anyway.

Gwendol
2013-03-07, 07:13 AM
It's fiery fist, in PHB II. It also grants you an extra use of stunning fist. You can also take Fiery defence, to cloak yourself in flames and damage those that strike you.

Biotroll
2013-03-07, 07:17 AM
Try to talk to your DM, it helps a lot. I gave one of my players a magical tattoo, which works as Ancestral relic. He is happy, because he can sacrifice items (he hates to carry a lot of things around) and I am happy because it keeps him near power-level of party.

Darrin
2013-03-07, 07:23 AM
Kensai PrC
Dragonfang Gauntlets + augment crystals/enchantments (no flurry)
Scorpion Kama + augment crystals/enchantments (flurry ok)
Bracers of Lightning
Gloves of the Uldra Savant
Draconic Fist (Dragon Magic)

You might be able to use weapon capsule retainers (Complete Adventurer) with quickflame, quickspark, or quickfrost, but... Yeah, that might get a book thrown at you.

Joe Eskimo
2013-03-07, 09:08 AM
Could you please give a bit more information on your monk's build? His stats, race, level, and feats will dictate what options may be available to him.

I'm not really building a character right now. I'm just curious if there was a way to add energy damage to unarmed strikes. Like in the neverwinter nights games you got gloves of the long death and gloves of the yellow rose that added cold and electricity damage to unarmed strikes.

jywu98
2013-03-07, 09:11 AM
One possible way is to Tashlotara Soulknife with Monk, and take unarmed strike as one of your mind blade shape via a feat (forgot the name). Combine this with Amulet (or necklace?) of natural attacks for more elemental damage.

Shaynythyryas
2013-03-07, 09:12 AM

It's by far better than just that : it's basically a slot to put the same enhancements you can give to any weapon by standard enchanting.
That means you can put alteration bonus, AND elemental damage bonus, AND any other fancy stuff you can imagine for a standard weapon.

The prices varies the same way as enchanting a classic weapon.

Joe Eskimo
2013-03-07, 09:19 AM
It's fiery fist, in PHB II. It also grants you an extra use of stunning fist. You can also take Fiery defence, to cloak yourself in flames and damage those that strike you.

I already tried this path. Even going so far as getting a heads up from my DM of allowing your choice of energy for damage unstead of just fire. I chose an electricity version for a dwarven monk of Marthammor Duin. Called it lightning fist. Only lasted for a round for each use though. :smallfrown: I was hoping for gloves which added energy damage since it's kinda unfair for monks to not have a choice of energy damage for their unarmed strikes. Seeing as how easy it is for other characters to quickly change energy damage by just switching crystals of energy assault. I was wondering if crystals of energy assault could be applied to gloves seeing as iron ward diamonds could be applied to bracers of armor.

Joe Eskimo
2013-03-07, 09:23 AM
It's by far better than just that : it's basically a slot to put the same enhancements you can give to any weapon by standard enchanting.
That means you can put alteration bonus, AND elemental damage bonus, AND any other fancy stuff you can imagine for a standard weapon.

The prices varies the same way as enchanting a classic weapon.

Could you socket it with a lesser crystal of energy assault? It's much cheaper than enchanting it. Also when enchanting the said necklace do I still have to give it a +1 bonus so I could apply other enhancements? Or could I apply enhancements right away? This kind of reminds me of bracers of striking.

jywu98
2013-03-07, 09:25 AM
Could you socket it with a lesser crystal of energy assault? It's much cheaper than enchanting it. Also when enchanting the said necklace do I still have to give it a +1 bonus so I could apply other enhancements? Or could I apply enhancements right away? This kind of reminds me of bracers of striking.

You cannot socket it with augment crystals as it is not a weapon.

Rubik
2013-03-07, 09:30 AM
Since a monk's unarmed strike counts as a manufactured weapon, weapon augment crystals (from the Magic Item Compendium) work just fine. Just find a way to give yourself a numerical enhancement to your body (such as via Greater Magic Fang) and you can even use the greater ones. Also note that you can stack weapon augment effects, if you pay a +50% surcharge for them, according to the same book.

This has the benefit of being REALLY inexpensive, comparatively, and you don't even need to houserule anything to make it work.

One or two levels in monk + psychic warrior + the Tashalatora feat means you can use the Weapon of Energy power to give yourself additional energy damage as well.

Joe Eskimo
2013-03-07, 09:34 AM
You cannot socket it with augment crystals as it is not a weapon.

Okay. So could I apply an enhacement right away? So if I wanted to add the frost property I would spend 8,000 gp to add it to the necklace. Is that correct?

Joe Eskimo
2013-03-07, 09:36 AM
Since a monk's unarmed strike counts as a manufactured weapon, weapon augment crystals (from the Magic Item Compendium) work just fine. Just find a way to give yourself a numerical enhancement to your body (such as via Greater Magic Fang) and you can even use the greater ones. Also note that you can stack weapon augment effects, if you pay a +50% surcharge for them, according to the same book.

This has the benefit of being REALLY inexpensive, comparatively, and you don't even need to houserule anything to make it work.

One or two levels in monk + psychic warrior + the Tashalatora feat means you can use the Weapon of Energy power to give yourself additional energy damage as well.

Where do I put the augment crystals in?

Rubik
2013-03-07, 09:59 AM
Where do I put the augment crystals in?Strap it to your wrist. Affix it to your chest. Wear it as an earring. Where would you put the augment crystals "in" to a longspear? Or a quarterstaff? The book never mentions just how crystals are attached, and a "weapon slot" is no more difficult to address than a "body slot."

Shaynythyryas
2013-03-07, 10:03 AM
Okay. So could I apply an enhacement right away? So if I wanted to add the frost property I would spend 8,000 gp to add it to the necklace. Is that correct?

Frost only cost +1 so the necklace cost would be 2000, I think.

Rubik
2013-03-07, 10:06 AM
Frost only cost +1 so the necklace cost would be 2000, I think.But weapon rules still apply, so you need to waste that first +1 on...a +1.

Gwendol
2013-03-07, 10:43 AM
Yeah, the fiery fist feat is really not that great. Had the duration been over a few rounds, ok, but as it stands it has to be among the less desirable feats in existence.

XionUnborn01
2013-03-07, 12:09 PM
I've always allowed then firey fist feat to change it's element between two opposing elements, chosen at taking the feat. Also, I let it last 1+wisdom modifier rounds, and I increase it from 1d6 to 1d6/4 lvls. 5d6 isn't a lot aat 20th, but 5d6 from a feat i feel is pretty decent

Joe Eskimo
2013-03-07, 07:55 PM
But weapon rules still apply, so you need to waste that first +1 on...a +1.

Just as I thought. So it becomes a +1 necklace of natural weapons of frost? Is that correct? Granting a +1 on attack and damage and adds +1d6 cold damage for only 8,600 gp?

TuggyNE
2013-03-07, 08:43 PM
Just as I thought. So it becomes a +1 necklace of natural weapons of frost? Is that correct? Granting a +1 on attack and damage and adds +1d6 cold damage for only 8,600 gp?

Yeah, I believe that's correct.

Joe Eskimo
2013-03-07, 09:16 PM
Cool. Frickin cheap too. Thanks to everyone who contributed. Cheers to you guys! :smallbiggrin:

Rubik
2013-03-08, 12:23 AM
Cool. Frickin cheap too. Thanks to everyone who contributed. Cheers to you guys! :smallbiggrin:If you don't like the idea of adding weapon crystals directly, what about adding one to your necklace?