PDA

View Full Version : [PF/3.5] Help me break a Summoner with 3.5 Content

Jhango
2013-03-07, 03:01 PM
Hey Guys!

I have a new game I am playing in coming up next week, and I am considering playing a Summoner. I know there is an excellent Summoner's handbook a few posts down, but we are allowed to use all 3.5 content available, and it doesn't seem to cover any 3.5 content.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The lack of flexibility in Multi-classing it not helping me on this one...

ZamielVanWeber
2013-03-07, 03:02 PM
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872758/Mastering_the_Malconvoker

Here you go. Guide on Malconvoker (an excellent summoning class),

kestrel404
2013-03-07, 03:53 PM
I've broken summoner with just PF content.

Half-elf, use the +1/4 Evolution Point favored class bonus. Take Skill Focus (Knowledge Nature) as your bonus skill focus feat. Charisma is the only stat you care about, but a good Con & Dex help.

Take the following feats in order: (3rd) Eldritch Heritage (Sylvan), (5th) Boon Companion (Animal Companion), (7th) Eldritch Heritage (Arcane), (9th) Improved Familiar.
Your level 1 feat is not terribly important.
The Improved & Greater Eldritch Heritage (Arcane) are worth taking.

So at 9th level, you end up with:
An eidolon with 2 extra evolution points
An animal companion of equal druid level
A familiar (Faerie Dragon is best option)

If you build the Eidolon as a striker and the Animal companion (I prefer Apes, they can use normal gear and only require 1 int increase to be able to choose any feat) as a defender/fighter, then give your familiar a bag full of utility wands (cure minor, grease, faerie fire), you can play to the Summoner's strengths as party buffer really well.

Now, since you asked about breaking the summoner with 3.5 material, the biggest source of unexpected oddities you can pull out are the Magic of Incarnum feats Shape Soulmeld and Open X Chakra. Shape soulmeld basically gives you one soulmeld of your choice from the list in the book - a soulmeld is basically a free magic item that occupies a magic item slot without preventing you from using that slot. The Open X Chakra feat allows you to enhance that soulmeld significantly at the cost of the soulmeld actually taking up the item slot in question.

For example: Blink Shirt - for one feat, your Eidolon gets the ability to do a 10' dimension door at will. For a second feat (Open Greater Chakra(Waist)) he can do it as a move action instead, but he wouldn't be able to wear a belt anymore.

I think that's the most broken easy add-on from 3.5. Of course, you can skip 'eldritch heritage arcane' and go for 'Acquire familiar', but then you wouldn't be able to take improved & greater eldritch heritage arcane.