PDA

View Full Version : High int monsters/races?

Nornalhorst
2013-03-07, 04:58 PM
I was wondering are there any monsters from any book that isn't undead that would make good wizards preferably with a hit dice of less than or equal to 3 or a PC template with a level adjustment less than or equal to 5?

Also alternatively monsters with innate spellcasting or some useful spell-like abilities would be nice as well.

Story
2013-03-07, 05:03 PM
Good Wizard races?

LA 0
Human
Strongheart Halfing
Whisper Gnome
Human
Illumian
Grey/Sun/Fire Elf
Lesser Air Genasi
Human

This is a list mainly aimed at PCs, so they all have no LA. If you want a more 'monstorous' approach, you could go with the Primoridal Half Giant at LA1. As far as SLA's go, the obvious answer is Spell Stiched Necropolitan, but you said no undead. If you're using LA, the Phrenic template is decent.

Vaz
2013-03-07, 05:51 PM
Phrenic Grey Elf (1 RHD, +2 LA) = -2 Str+Con, +2 Dex, +4 Int, +2 Wis, +4 Cha, 1 Bonus Power Point, Power Resistance 10+HD (28 at ECL20), a ton of scaling PLA's.
Spellwarped Grey Elf (1 RHD, +3 LA) = Str +2, Dex +4, Con +2, +6 Int, very nice immunities, 11+HD SR (28 at ECL20), Gain Temporary bonuses if a spell fails to breach SR, +2 NAB.

Andion Isurand
2013-03-07, 07:37 PM
More LA 0 Races good for wizards

Deep Imaskari (-2 Dex, +2 Int and qualifies for able learner)
Lesser Tiefling
Lesser *Cansin
Lesser *Axani
Lesser *Dust Paragenasi
Lesser *Smoke Paragenasi
**Arcane Gnome

"Lesser" from PGtF 191
*from Dragon 297
**from Dragon 291

Plus the arctic template from Dragon 306 for (+2 con, -2 cha) among other things.

SaintRidley
2013-03-07, 07:51 PM
Blue Goblins are LA +1, but I tend to drop them down to LA 0 when I'm running things.

ksbsnowowl
2013-03-07, 08:00 PM
Ethergaunts from Fiend Folio. They come in three flavors: White, Red, and Black.

The black ones cast spells as 17th level Wizards. And have an intelligence of 30.

They also have an LA of +3, so you can play one as a 20th level character.

The White and Red also cast spells, as lower level wizards.

Uhtred
2013-03-07, 08:06 PM
Don't Vanara from Oriental Adventures get an Int bonus, too?

UnjustCustos
2013-03-07, 08:07 PM
Spellwarped Grey Elf (1 RHD, +3 LA) = Str +2, Dex +4, Con +2, +6 Int, very nice immunities, 11+HD SR (28 at ECL20), Gain Temporary bonuses if a spell fails to breach SR, +2 NAB.

Was the speed issue ever resolved? It most likely should have been temporary but never listed as such, if I remember correctly.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-03-07, 08:08 PM
Spellhoarding + Loredrake on either a Steel Dragon or a Tome Dragon.

Karnith
2013-03-07, 08:14 PM
Don't Vanara from Oriental Adventures get an Int bonus, too?
As I recall, they have +2 Int (and -2 Str and +2 Wis) in Oriental Adventures, but they were updated in Dragon Magazine for 3.5, and in that version the vanara lost their stat adjustments.

Nornalhorst
2013-03-07, 09:02 PM
Spellhoarding + Loredrake on either a Steel Dragon or a Tome Dragon.

Unfortunately no dragons:smallsigh:, and I don't think I can use dragon mag stuff either.

That spell stitched template looks really nice however makes me want to consider being undead.

As for races/monsters it seems high int races/monsters are very rare, unfortunately.

SaintRidley
2013-03-08, 12:42 AM
Unfortunately no dragons:smallsigh:, and I don't think I can use dragon mag stuff either.

That spell stitched template looks really nice however makes me want to consider being undead.

As for races/monsters it seems high int races/monsters are very rare, unfortunately.

If you go undead and spellstitch, make sure you have a 19+ wisdom so you can get two spells for each level 1st-5th and one 6th level on you.

If you go Necropolitan, you can pair it with one of the +Int races here, too.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-03-08, 12:45 AM
If you're going to use Spellstitched, pick a race that can take the feat Magic in the Blood (PGtF). Since Spellstitched is a template, the spell-like abilities it grants will be considered racial abilities, and any usable 1/day will be made usable 3/day via that feat. So split the four uses 1/3 or 3/1 and it becomes 3/3.

J-H
2013-03-08, 01:04 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/aranea.htm

Nornalhorst
2013-03-08, 01:22 AM
I saw a half Titan template in Bastards & Bloodlines.

It gives innate spell casting of a cleric or wizard at a level the same as your hit dice, +8 natural armor, +20 ft speed, a collection of okay spell-like abilities based off of hit dice, for a 1-5 hit dice half-titan you get 5 DR/Silver and 12 SR, +14 Str, +6 Con, +4 Int, +4 Wis, +2 Cha and the power attack feat, and I'm not sure but I believe it also gives Large Size. And at the cost of a 8+ LA, a bit too high for my tastes, but still what do you think?

Vaz
2013-03-08, 05:59 AM
Was the speed issue ever resolved? It most likely should have been temporary but never listed as such, if I remember correctly.

Just had a quick look at the template, and as far as I can see, no. Edit, @ Bastards and Bloodlines, apparently, a good many of those things are "broken", or bypass restrictions like race, or allow casting stats to be keyed off other stats for the price of a feat; i.e a Cancer Mage/Incarnate Dustform with his stat keyed off Strength, for example