PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Is Out There!

Karoht
2013-03-07, 08:31 PM
So my fiance and I are getting married in October. And in the first week of November, we are attending Blizzcon 2013. Yes, I already have my ticket. No, they aren't actually on sale yet. No, I can't use my contacts to get you a ticket.

So we will be in Anaheim for about a week. 2-3 days to ourselves, 2 days for the convention. Likely staying at the Annabella hotel across the road from the convention center and Disneyland.

We will likely rent a car to get around, so Los Angeles/Hollywood, San Diego, those sort of locations are within easy range.

What should we go see?
Any local-ish 'must see' attractions?
Anyone from the area up for some shenanigans around that time?
Are Disneyland or San Diego Zoo worth it?
Any restaurants that are absolutely critical to dine at?

Discuss!

Frathe
2013-03-07, 10:05 PM
I live in the L.A. area.

Well, Disneyland is in Anaheim, but it is expensive, so that'd have to be your call.

Knott's Berry Farm isn't too far.

You could go to Medieval Times, for cheaper semi-thematic entertainment in the general area.

San Diego isn't that close, but if you drive down there you could visit Sea World and visit Legoland in Carlsbad. I've always preferred the Wild Animal Park to the Zoo.

You could always go to the beach (that is, if you live inland). :smallbiggrin: Of course, October's not the best time for that, but it's fairly warm year round here, and at least it won't be crowded like in summer.

Restaurants--I don't know any I'd call essential; it really depends what you like. Just for LA, Pink's is pretty famous if you like hot dogs. I should really be able to think of more than that, but fine dining's not my field. :smalltongue:

Karoht
2013-03-07, 11:58 PM
Pinks! That's pretty iconic. It's on the list now.
Need more stuff like this.

I was considering hitting up the London West Hollywood. Gordon Ramsay's restaurant. Mostly because it is likely to be the only time I am anywhere near one of his restaurants. We'll see how finances shape up before we decide on that.
Medieval Times we will likely hit the night we fly in (tuesday). Easiest time to squeeze that in.

We really only have 2 days before the con (wednesday and thursday), and we are flying back the day after the con. Friday and Saturday nights of the con will be taken up by a pair of major parties.

Knott's Berry Farm is going on the list.
Not a fan of Seaworld (I don't believe whales or porpoises should be in captivity), the Wild Animal Park I've never heard of. Cool, looking that up now.
On the other hand, I remember San Diego Zoo from a previous trip, hard to compete with that. Maybe we can squeeze in both if we're fast? What in your mind makes Wild Animal Park interesting?

Frathe
2013-03-08, 12:17 AM
On the other hand, I remember San Diego Zoo from a previous trip, hard to compete with that. Maybe we can squeeze in both if we're fast? What in your mind makes Wild Animal Park interesting?Well, I've never been that fond of zoos. The Wild Animal Park is like a safari park; instead of cages, there are giant open-top enclosures that you can take tram rides through. It's more like natural habitats, and they have a bunch of endangered species.

Research: Oh, I guess it's called the San Diego Zoo Safari Park now.

Karoht
2013-03-08, 12:58 AM
Well, I've never been that fond of zoos. The Wild Animal Park is like a safari park; instead of cages, there are giant open-top enclosures that you can take tram rides through. It's more like natural habitats, and they have a bunch of endangered species.

Research: Oh, I guess it's called the San Diego Zoo Safari Park now.
Cool sauce.
Might have to nix Knott's Berry Farm then. Fit in the Zoo and the Park instead. Fits more into our adventure theme we have going with the wedding as well. Might have to visit the zoo/safari in costume perhaps.

Our follow up adventure after this is a trip to Japan in 2015.

Frathe
2013-03-08, 01:42 AM
Cool. Hope you have a nice wedding and a good adventure to follow!