PDA

View Full Version : Warblade's Sudden Leap = Bouncing Halfling?

Laserlight
2013-03-07, 10:16 PM
I've gotten a recommendation for Tiger Claw's Sudden Leap as one of my (few and precious) warblade maneuvers. The benefit seems to be that I can move and still be able to Full Attack, but I want to clarify the details before my DM carves it in stone.

The text says "Make a Jump Check and move the distance determined by your check result." Let's say I have Jump 10.

Is my Jump check just d20+10, or must I subtract something for "no running start"?
What if I roll a 20 but only wanted to move 15 feet. Do I have to move the full distance? I would presume RAI to be "move up to the distance determined by the check" but it doesn't actually say that.
I'm a halfling, with a normal speed 20. Let's say I roll a 20 on my check, for a total of 30. Am I floating in mid air for a round?
Can I Sudden Leap and then make a 5 Foot Step?

Any other tips, tricks, and tactics?

Deophaun
2013-03-07, 11:03 PM
Is my Jump check just d20+10, or must I subtract something for "no running start"?
Do you have something that eliminates the penalty for running start? Your check includes all relevant bonuses and penalties.

What if I roll a 20 but only wanted to move 15 feet. Do I have to move the full distance? I would presume RAI to be "move up to the distance determined by the check" but it doesn't actually say that.
Up to. Your check determines the range you can jump, a 10 foot jump is no more or less determined than a 20 foot jump on a roll of 40.

I'm a halfling, with a normal speed 20. Let's say I roll a 20 on my check, for a total of 30. Am I floating in mid air for a round?
Assuming you're trying to jump 30 feet and you used up your first twenty for the running start? Yup. From the SRD:

If you run out of movement mid-jump, your next action (either on this turn or, if necessary, on your next turn) must be a move action to complete the jump.

Now this is "ask your DM" territory, as it depends on how you define "movement." The broadest reading will include swinging a sword as movement. I prefer equating movement with move actions. Others disagree, and equate it with any action that lets you change squares.

Laserlight
2013-03-07, 11:25 PM
Do you have something that eliminates the penalty for running start? Your check includes all relevant bonuses and penalties.

So it would be +10 -6 for having a base speed 20. "No running start" means the DC is doubled...which I suppose means that my move distance is halved? So I'd end up moving 2.5ft on a roll of 1, up to 12ft on a roll of 20. Rounding to 5ft map squares, I have a 55% chance of 5ft and a 45% chance of 10ft.

Alternately I could run 20ft and jump. Would still be +10 for my skill, -6 for having a base 20, but my result wouldn't be halved. Possible results would be 5ft on a roll of 1, to 24ft on a roll of 20. But all of that would exceed my base movement speed, so I'd have to spend my next action completing the jump, and don't get to make even a standard attack, much less a full attack.

In which case I might as well walk.

Feint's End
2013-03-07, 11:27 PM
I've gotten a recommendation for Tiger Claw's Sudden Leap as one of my (few and precious) warblade maneuvers. The benefit seems to be that I can move and still be able to Full Attack, but I want to clarify the details before my DM carves it in stone.

The text says "Make a Jump Check and move the distance determined by your check result." Let's say I have Jump 10.

Any other tips, tricks, and tactics?

*yes the normal penalties apply
*you determine the distance you want to jump before the jump ... if you get over the dc it doesn't do anything to your jumping distance
*no you are not ... the whole jump is handled as a swift action and therefor you can jump as far as your jumpskill allows ... basically like traveldevotion as a jump with a variable movementspeed (about that I'm sure)
quote: "You can make a Jump check as a
swift action and move the distance
determined by your check result."
*Well Jump is part of a movement and therefor I'd say no but depends on your dm (note it would be kinda cheesy to allow it though)

Deophaun
2013-03-07, 11:32 PM
In which case I might as well walk.
If you don't take steps to optimize jumping, which means at least gaining an enhancement bonus to your speed to get rid of that -6, it's not going to do much for you. Otherwise, gaining an extra 10 or 15 feet of distance on a swift action is not a bad deal, and it becomes fantastic once you get rid of the running start requirement. Also, Leaping Dragon stance helps out, as it gives you a 10ft bonus to your jump checks (not +10, 10ft).

Feint's End
2013-03-07, 11:35 PM
If you don't take steps to optimize jumping, which means at least gaining an enhancement bonus to your speed to get rid of that -6, it's not going to do much for you. Otherwise, gaining an extra 10 or 15 feet of distance on a swift action is not a bad deal, and it becomes fantastic once you get rid of the running start requirement. Also, Leaping Dragon stance helps out, as it gives you a 10ft bonus to your jump checks (not +10, 10ft).

second this
take leaping dragon stance, get ways to boost your movement (boots for example), boni to Jump etc etc and suddenly you are looking at 50ft+ additional movement a turn as a swift action

kardar233
2013-03-07, 11:37 PM

Leaping Dragon Stance also removes the penalties for not making a running jump, so you get a 2-for-1 there.

Feint's End
2013-03-07, 11:38 PM
Assuming you're trying to jump 30 feet and you used up your first twenty for the running start? Yup. From the SRD:

you can't do a running start in the swift action itself
the only way would be moving 20ft as a movement action and then using sudden leap. That would not count against your movementlimit per round though and therefor no .... What you are referring to is if you jump as part of your regular movement.

juicycaboose
2013-03-07, 11:50 PM
Leap of the Heavens feat from PHB2 is good if you don't want to take the Leaping Dragon Stance

Eliminates the penalties for not getting a running start, and when you do take a running start you gain a +5 competence bonus to your jump check.

Spuddles
2013-03-08, 12:38 AM
Not having a running start doesn't do anything to the DC. There is no DC. You make a jump check. You add appropriate modifers. You then move that distance.

You aren't actually moving via a jump, but via a maneuver. If you get a result of 30, you move 30 feet. No halfling hang time.

Read the text again carefully. It says you move the result of a jump check. The maneuver isn't actually letting you jump as a swift action. It's letting you move via a jump check. It's a subtle difference, but it is how you are avoiding "doubling" a non existant DC. You still get -4 for 20 move speed, ACP, str bonus, etc, because you are making a jump check.

Laserlight
2013-03-08, 05:50 PM
Read the text again carefully. It says you move the result of a jump check. The maneuver isn't actually letting you jump as a swift action. It's letting you move via a jump check.

Ah. Good point.

So if I take Skill Trick: Extreme Leap ("Horizontal jump of at least 10 feet allows 10 extra feet of movement that round", which would add to my base 20 to bring me up to 30ft), then I should be able to make this work.