PDA

View Full Version : Ancestral Relic

sambouchah
2013-03-07, 11:01 PM
My 7th level Fleet Runner of Ehlonna has an ancestral relic worth 9,500 gold pieces but I don't know what to slap on it. I was going to put it on a composite longbow. Any suggestions? Collision from magic item compendium looked good

Thanks, Sam

Kuulvheysoon
2013-03-07, 11:08 PM
Tell me that you're talking about which property to apply after Splitting.

Miriad
2013-03-07, 11:10 PM
Collision looks good at first but eventually it is a waste of a +2 enchantment.

The best enchantment for your bow is splitting. You can get other enchantments on the ammunition.

Precise is also good. Its basically a free feat.

sambouchah
2013-03-07, 11:10 PM
Tell me that you're talking about which property to apply after Splitting.

Oh dear, after splitting? What does this mean? Me=feeling like a N00b

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-07, 11:11 PM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642.0

Splitting, from Champions of Ruin.

sambouchah
2013-03-07, 11:17 PM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642.0

Splitting, from Champions of Ruin.

It is a +3. I can only afford +2 and a couple hundred in materials. :smallfrown:

Xervous
2013-03-07, 11:25 PM
If I'm reading ancestral relic right this time... you can remake the item every time you upgrade it so.....

in that case just grab what you think would be best for the moment, until you can get splitting

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-07, 11:25 PM
So make sure you get a:

+1
either Livewood, Dragonbone, or Serrenwood
Elvencraft
Long Range
Mighty + your strength mod
Composite Longbow

And save up. Remember that you have to get +1 Something Something, so a splitting bow is a +1 Splitting bow -- ie, a +4 weapon.

So save up!

Here's another view of a solid archer character:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10961

Also:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12837

Edit: Forgot Elvencraft, lol!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-03-07, 11:52 PM
Make sure your bow is Elvencraft, from Races of the Wild, which allows a longbow to be used (and enchanted) as a quarterstaff as well. You have to pay an extra 600 gp in addition to the Elvencraft cost for two masterwork quarterstaff ends. Eventually get each end +1 Defending with Greater Magic Weapon and put the full bonus of each end toward your AC.

Than
2013-03-08, 12:06 AM
I feel compelled to state the obvious. You can't change materials of the ancestral relic once you acquire it. You only get to change the enhancement and enchantments.

It has to be masterwork but if you get a composite longbow without the mighty strength bonus you can't add that later. I think there is an enchantment that affects the pull for the same effect though.

sambouchah
2013-03-08, 12:18 AM
I feel compelled to state the obvious. You can't change materials of the ancestral relic once you acquire it. You only get to change the enhancement and enchantments.

It has to be masterwork but if you get a composite longbow without the mighty strength bonus you can't add that later. I think there is an enchantment that affects the pull for the same effect though.

I have -1 str(or an 8 score rather). So composite wouldn't do too much

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-03-08, 12:24 AM
I think Ancestral Relic let's you scrap old enchantments when you upgade.

"This requires a sacrifice of valuable items worth the difference between the market price of the magic item your relic will become and the market price of your current relic."

So, he does need a "for now" +1 equivalent.

Rubik
2013-03-08, 12:40 AM
Ahem. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#seeking)

Think about that for a minute...

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-08, 12:50 AM
A +0 Composite Longbow adds some range.

So get a Elvencraft, Serrenwood or Dragonbone Or Livewood, Long Range, Composite Longbow, as the basic weapon.

Rubik
2013-03-08, 12:53 AM
If you're adding elvencraft, also add wand chambers (3, to be precise). That way you can cast from wands without dropping your bow and quarterstaff. They're from Dungeonscape (p34).

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-08, 12:53 AM
Right, Wand Chambers. Forgot those. But yea, maximize the mundane parts of the weapon as much as possible, before doing ANY Ancestral Relic stuff!

Rubik
2013-03-08, 12:56 AM
Making your bow from aurorum (from the Book of Exalted Deeds) means that it can't be permanently sundered or otherwise broken. If it is, you can just put it back together again.

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-08, 01:00 AM
I think only crossbows can be made out of metals, per the rules... with that Dragon Magazine giving rules for steel crossbows... Otherwise, longbows have to be some sort of wood...

Rubik
2013-03-08, 01:03 AM
I think only crossbows can be made out of metals, per the rules... with that Dragon Magazine giving rules for steel crossbows... Otherwise, longbows have to be some sort of wood...Real world composite longbows are frequently plastic and metal...err...composites. And given some of the crazy crap that gnomes make, the creation of a metal composite longbow isn't that much of a stretch.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-03-08, 01:07 AM
If it helps, Cattie-brie's bow (Taul-maril, the Heartseeker) is a metal bow.