PDA

View Full Version : Mithral Crafting

Yogibear41
2013-03-08, 01:19 AM
Since Mithral Armor is considered masterwork would one need a craft roll of 20 in order to make it? or would the standard 10+ac of the armor being made be enough?

Miriad
2013-03-08, 01:25 AM
When crafting a masterwork Item the masterwork component is crafted separately.

You would need a DC 10+AC for the armor and a DC 20 craft check for the masterwork component.

Yogibear41
2013-03-08, 01:29 AM
yes I was aware of this but Mithral cannot be non masterwork, so what happens if you craft some mithral armor with an appropriate check but then fail to reach the 20 for the masterwork check?

Basically im asking if its automatically masterwork without having to roll the 20 check

Matticussama
2013-03-08, 01:33 AM
Since it has to be mastercraft, then you have to make the mastercraft DC and not just the normal 10+AC DC.

Yogibear41
2013-03-08, 02:12 AM
Thanks thats what I needed to know, that many more skill points I have to use :(

Matticussama
2013-03-08, 04:20 AM
Make sure to take advantage of as many situational modifiers as you can. With help from someone else (Aid Another +2), Masterwork tools (+2), decent Int (+3), and 3 skill ranks you can take 10 to make the DC 20 Craft Check.

Ashtagon
2013-03-08, 04:38 AM
yes I was aware of this but Mithral cannot be non masterwork, so what happens if you craft some mithral armor with an appropriate check but then fail to reach the 20 for the masterwork check?

Basically im asking if its automatically masterwork without having to roll the 20 check

Basically, you craft the non-masterwork version as per standard crafting rules, presumably with a DC of around 12-18 or so, then craft the masterwork component, with the DC 20. Failing any roll results in the usual penalties.

The armour is not complete until you finish both parts. You can't finish the non-masterwork component and have non-masterwork armour; you simply have an incomplete set of armour. The decision to make a masterwork item must be made before you make your first Craft check.

Pancritic
2013-03-08, 05:09 AM
Based on this:

Weapons or armors fashioned from mithral are always masterwork items as well; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below.I'd rule that you follow the same procedure as when crafting normal masterwork items, with the exception that you substitute the price given in the mithral price table for the normal +150 gp masterwork price. There would be no change to the craft DCs.