PDA

View Full Version : Tabletop Memes in Everyday Life

Fayd
2013-03-08, 01:43 AM
One thing I've noticed with my RPG groups is that on a rare occasion, a line or short story ends up becoming a facet of the group vernacular. Has this happened in your groups? Do you have any particular favorites? In spoilers below, I'll share a few of my groups.

In my first game, I had the equivalent of the 3.5-Pathfinder Prestidigitation spell usable at-will. My party also had an orc barbarian with the intelligence you would expect of the position. He had a habit of spending his spare money on sticks of chalk, which he would eat when bored. Which was, in hindsight, considerably better than eating some peasant. ANYWAY, in order to keep him in control, I would flavor and scent a piece of the chalk with Bacon, creating "Bacon Chalk," which, while not as frequent as the rest of the memes below, comes up on occasion.

In my second game, we had a swashbuckler who was determined to be famous. And fate was just as determined to not let that happen (You'd have to ask him for the exact details, but it wasn't just the DM doing it. It was UNCANNY). His catch phrase ended up being "HAS NOBODY HEARD OF ME?"

During the same game as the above meme, the party ended up killing an anaconda on our way back to town. We kept the carcass as food, but we realized that we could probably get good money from the town we were headed to (it's primary stated industry was ore delivery and receivership. The primary unstated industry was "flower arranging" and apparently the ladies were rather good at it. As such we thought a large quantity of snakeskin leather might be in high demand). The party's changeling rogue, who had previosuly declared that he is "as bishe as possible" when in this town, went to sell it as his social skills were terrifying. He ended up rolling a nat 1 on the check, and so his sales pitch went as follows: "So. I've got this snake. It's ENORMOUS, like twenty feet long, and I heard you were into that sort of thing?" The (male) tanner slammed the door in his face. That phrase has become quite popular.

Also in this game, two quickies: "AARDVARK!" has become group shorthand for "look away, flashbang grenade incoming" as it is something unlikely to be yelled during active combat thanks to an alchemist. Also, due to the setting (and the fact that we all loved Avatar: The Last Airbender), every non-critical NPC was some variation of the name Lee. "There's a million 'Lee's."

In my most recent game (based on the webcomic Homestuck) the party had to solve a really REALLY simple puzzle in the first session. It was so easy I didn't have anyone roll, literally a square peg in square hole thing. But the Thief of Time wanted to anyway, and so she rolled a 1. In her character's New York-ish accent, she declared "How do I...? I just. I just don't get it." That phrase, especially with her accent, has shown up in our group vernacular SO much.

In this game as well, the Bard of Space had access to the magic of Chaos. She could do tremendous amounts of damage with relatively low checks (note to system designers, when balancing DCs remember to account for item bonuses!). To deal 7 die of damage, she had to roll a 3. She could have burned a feat to guarantee success, but she said that she had this. Naturally, she rolls a 2, and as the spell fizzles, the Witch of Mind shouts "You had ONE JOB Theriz!" which basically gets said now whenever somebody fails to do something that they should have, by rights, succeeded at, in game our out.

Yukitsu
2013-03-08, 01:58 AM
In our group, "PLASMA MISSILES~!" is probably our most consistent meme. We use it to describe any situation where our boss thinks we're BSing them, but are actually telling the truth. Sometimes, when asking if the situation is PLASMA MISSILES~! we'll change the inflection and tone to "Plasma missiles?" "Plasma missiles."

Kol Korran
2013-03-08, 03:33 AM
In our group one player used to play a sadistic murderous halfling (think Belkar, only more refined) who used the cover of "I'm but an honesty business man!". since then any character that used this phrase (PCs and NPCs alike, usually in an overly innocent, "surprised at the accusation to be different" voice) were immediately pegged to be at best shady dealing, at worst absolute bastards. :smallamused:

(thee may be more, but this is the most memorable one)

Maugan Ra
2013-03-08, 03:37 AM
My group had, for a fair while, the warning phrase of 'Cyber-Monkey!', which basically translated to 'fair warning everyone, I am about to do something ludicrously dangerous, so please retreat to a safe distance'.

SilverLeaf167
2013-03-08, 03:39 AM
What system did you use for that Homestuck game? Sounds awesome.

Minitroll
2013-03-08, 03:47 AM
So we did Rise of The Runelords from Pathfinder, and I made one boss (Tutso) much more important as the brother of our Cavalier, Solomon. Now, Tutso had 10 goblins- a tough fight at level one, especially when Tutso's level 3. So they were expecting difficulty. Now, Tutso has only 8 hit points (newb). So, to get to Tutso, they had to get past his goblins, and Tutso just shot away at Solomon.

Tutso, Round 1: Shoot and miss.
Me(DM): Oh, Tutso. Maybe next time.
Tutso, Round 2: Shoot and miss.
Me (DM): Well, Tutso, that wasn't even close.
Tutso, Round 3: Shoot and miss.
Me (DM): Tutso, you have a +6 to hit, why can't you hit a level 1 with 19 AC?
Tutso, Round 4: Shoot and miss.
Me (DM): Damn it, Tutso.
Tutso, Round 5: Shoot and miss.
Me (DM): Tutso, this is getting old. DO SOMETHING!
Tutso, Round 6: Shoot, crit fail, hit self for 7 damage.
Me (DM): Damn it Tutso.

Ever since then, Damn it Tutso has become a meme- whenever your angry you just yell Damn it Tutso.

SowZ
2013-03-08, 03:55 AM
My players will ask me "Does it feel poisoned?" To anything, be it a bullet wound or a grenade explosion or if they pick up a stick in the woods.

This comes from an unfortunate incident when an assassin threw a kunai into a character's back. I told the player. "It feels poisoned." right as he took the wound, which they all found uproarious.

There is also their frequent use of, "Hmm, that must have done a decent amount of damage." after I describe something that, clearly, no one could survive. (I run sci-fi games more than anything.) So a plane crashes in a fireball, an rpg hits someone directly, a lightning storm is directed towards an enemy who is struck with four bolts at once, etc. etc. All followed up with, "Wow, I bet that did a decent amount of damage."

I once said, "Yeah, that does a decent amount of damage," after a player shot an enemy directly in the base of the skull with a deringer. Hence the meme.

I might put up with too much crap from my players.

Kane0
2013-03-08, 06:48 AM
I once had the party of 5 level 1s fight an injured young adult dragon (no breath weapon or bite and 3/4 hp, but still had flight and claws so wasnt an easy fight)

Upon victory, the meme was created in one statement:
"Wasn't a TPK, not good enough. Give us some bad loot and try harder next time"

So yeah, a party of level ones pretty much just handwaved a pretty tough encounter and told me to give them nothing for it and try harder to kill them.

Its usually abbreviated to just "wasnt a tpk, try harder next time"

falloutimperial
2013-03-08, 06:55 AM
If anyone in my group is asked their identity, they all look to one character to give an emphatic introduction, complete with nicknames: "Hello! I am William Hook the Trustworthy, this is Braxton Bragg the Capable, this is Tarnal the Pure, this is Telliel the Ornithological, and this is Ar'kal the Stray! And we are the Guild of Five, dynamic solutions in your industry!"

And of course, in our group the exploits of the Gander Mountain Rangers, an RPG we did two years back, are legend. From our "webmaster" bringing a guest, only to have his character grenaded and robbed by the same, to a weaponized Frisbee, to zombies' trademark "lurching."

EccentricCircle
2013-03-08, 06:57 AM
In one of the first games my original group did someone passed a listen check. there were a group of goblins behind the door. But rather than saying "You hear talking" or "you hear the sound of goblin voices" the DM just said "You hear goblins" which led to a lot of speculation about what was so distinctly goblin about what we were hearing that we could tell their race with absolute certainty.

It quickly became a catch phrase of sorts and spread to other gaming groups i've played in over the years. It is now more usually said in the context of someone failing a listen check "A natural 1? not a chance, all you can hear is the goblins."

I think this use came from one of my later players who used to say "I hear Lemons" when he failed a listen check. the two concepts quickly became merged. No idea what the Lemons were saying, but they must have been as loud as the goblins were...

DigoDragon
2013-03-08, 07:42 AM
A decade ago I ran a wild west campaign and the party met the famous inventor Winchester. However, in-character the PCs didn't know much about him, but one player had a good bit of gun trivia skills so I allowed him to roll in order to identify this person.
The player rolls a 1, and because he was part of an improv group as well, he stood up and pointed at me shouting "I know him! WINCHESTER IS A PHARAOH!!"

Ever since then, the phrase "Winchester is a Pharaoh" is used as our answer whenever we fail a knowledge check spectacularly or just have no clue about a question.

Another meme that keeps on going with my group came out from a Forgotten Realms adventure. I was playing a human cleric and our party was trying to track down a powerful spellcasting undead that was harrasing a city for its valuable magic items. After getting a few clues, I made an educated guess on where the undead was and his "treasure". My guess placed them in different parts of town so we decided to hit the closer lair first.
The party paladin asked if I knew what it was we'd be finding in this dungeon and my response was something along the lines of "Well, we're either going to strike it rich or get manhandled by the undead. It could be good, it could be liches. I don't know."

Since then the gaming group uses "Could be good, could be liches" for any upcoming situation where the outcome is either something mundane or a near TPK. :smallbiggrin:

Angel Bob
2013-03-08, 08:30 AM
Our group's memes include "the elongated purple thing" (referring to an oddly-shaped d4) and consistently using the adventuring group cover-up "We are a band of traveling minstrels!"

Techsmart
2013-03-08, 09:08 AM
In our group, we have 2 memes that come up often.
1 - Always bring 2 tents. Why? In an old campaign we had, the party went and spoke with a general store owner, who was an exceedingly over-energetic gnome. In trying to get them to buy more more stuff, the dialogue went something like this...
shop: You want a tent? I've got tons of tents, lovely tents, and cheap too.
PC: No, I've already got a tent.
shop: You sure? These are really nice. You should really have two. I had a friend once, he didn't bring two tents with him, and he got mauled by a bear. I really think you should bring two tents.
PC: No, I'll be fine.
Random encounter later - I rolled on a table and rolled a bear. In choosing a direction the bear came from, I rolled semi-randomly (bear wasn't gonna stroll down the road). He ended up mauling the guy that didn't want two tents.

2 - beware the gazebo. yes, i killed a player with a gazebo, and yes, there was a valid reason for it.

Moriwen
2013-03-08, 09:25 AM
Oh gosh.

#1: The Dust.

So my first ever game, I was playing covertly with my friend and my little sister because my parents had banned it. I'd read the Player's and Dungeon Master's Guides, but didn't have them to hand (they'd been confiscated). So I made up a sort of "homebrew" from what I could remember. (Actually, there were some aspects of it I like better than regular D&D: for instance, you rolled 3d6 instead of d20, which gave more of a normal distribution.)

In any case, I'd let them pick races and classes: My friend was an elven archer, and my sister was an elven fairy. (She was about seven at the time.) So I made one of the items available in the store "fairy dust," which a fairy could throw for a random one of several minor magical effects.

I am proud to say, I did not start them off in a tavern. Instead, I announced to them that they were on a dusty road, and saw the other character approaching from a distance. Whereupon, my little sister's fairy scooped up some of the dust and threw it at the archer. She hadn't quite gotten the whole "fairy dust" thing.

From that point on, every time I told them "you come into a room," when normal characters might say "I look around" or "I search for traps," my sister would say "Is there any dust here?" If there was, she'd collect it. Every. Single. Time. No matter how dramatic or serious I made the situation--you've managed to ascend into Mt. Olympus, Zeus frowns and asks "why have you come here, mortals," and sure enough, a little voice pipes up, "Is there any dust here?"

Of course, now they do that all the time, since I still play with that friend and that sister (older now, of course). "Is there any dust here?"

#2: Oh, the Description.

In this campaign, one of the key plot points was that a certain powerful noble, thought to just be a recluse, was actually being mentally controlled by his wife (who everyone thought was dead, but was actually a vampire). The PC's had grown up in the town in question, so I was giving them what they knew about this noble. Which went as follows:

"Baron X is renowned as a just and good ruler, but rarely makes public appearances, having become a recluse after the death of his late wife."

Which for some reason my friend found hilarious. "Death of his late wife! Death of his late wife!" This is now his catchphrase, meaning basically "you can stop with the elaborate narration, I want to punch things now."

(Don't even get me started on the Helm of Sauron.)

Alex Star
2013-03-08, 09:27 AM
The story behind "Morth"

We were dungeon crawling in one game using a grid map and dry erase markers. The player assigned to draw on the map for the DM was instructed to draw a compass on the map and told which direction was North. He proceeded to do so and put a very large 'M' at the top of the arrow.

The DM looked at him and said, "Nope, that's not right" so he proceeded to erase the 'M' and the arrow and redraw it facing another direction with another very large 'M'...

The rest of the group starts giggling as the DM says "Wrong again" to which the now very perplexed player erases the 'M' and arrow a second time redrawing them in their original spots.

By this time the DM and the rest of the group are roaring in laughter and the player now very upset and frustrated stands up and says "WHAT! Thats the DIRECTION HE SAID TO DRAW THE ARROW IN!"

The DM pulling himself together says "Yeah, but why do you keep writing an M?"

The player looked down at the map and it suddenly dawned on him why we were wall dying of laughter.

That day our group decided that it would henceforth forever be called "Morth". "Morth" is the 5th cardinal direction. "Morth" is whatever direction you NEED to go to get where you want to go. ie: All quest objectives are located "Morth" of your current position.

"Morth" has now made it into our regular lexicon, even with people outside our gaming group who have no idea of it's origins. Basically whenever you want to tell someone where something is and you don't know exactly where it is, it always lies directly to the "Morth".

Fayd
2013-03-08, 09:43 AM
What system did you use for that Homestuck game? Sounds awesome.

I made it myself, as a modification of a d20 system that fused 3.5, 4, pathfinder and a little of my own details. I can give you some information if you want, but it was fairly well tailored to my group... I didn't make anything I didn't absolutely have to.

SilverLeaf167
2013-03-08, 10:15 AM
I made it myself, as a modification of a d20 system that fused 3.5, 4, pathfinder and a little of my own details. I can give you some information if you want, but it was fairly well tailored to my group... I didn't make anything I didn't absolutely have to.
Well, even though I only have one friend who's a Homestuck fan and thus probably won't get to play it, I'd still be very interested in any information you could be bothered to share. :smallredface:

Fizban
2013-03-08, 11:07 AM
"Hey, at least it's not giant crocodiles."

I was DM'ing the Red Hand of Doom and the party was camping for the night in the swamp. I roll for a random encounter and get a hit. The monster table's pretty weak and the players said they wanted something interesting so I reroll a few times for a non-weak monster and just decide to double the roll for how many. I end up with 5 giant crocodiles. Ever looked at the stats on those guys? The second I open the book I said "no, actually there's only two."

So two 20 foot long crocs come charging up out of the swamp and the party wizard wakes up in the jaws of the "alligator death roll," and immediately drops to negative hit points and falls unconcious. Then he gets healed back up while still in the croc's mouth and finally gets to take an action to item teleport his way out. Both player and character developed a phobia for the rest of the game (funny when the NPC elf druid has the same style croc for a companion), but no matter what they fought after that. . . blue dragon with maximzed lightning breath? Hey, at least it's not giant crocs!

Novagraf
2013-03-08, 01:01 PM
We have quiet a few with our group...

#1: Star Wars SAGA, party full of jedi, we were investigating a smuggling corporation and we stopped in a cantina with one of our members walking up to the bartender asking him. "Do you know anyone selling any 'nefarious goods'?" so now anytime with any campaign something about "Nefarious goods" always shows up in one way or another.

#2: Final Fantasy Ivalice campaign, one member is a Bangaa (basically a giant lizardman), another member is a Hume who basically thinks all races except for hume is beneath him. At one point the Bangaa attempts to talk to him and his response is "...What? I can't understand you? ....Stop Hissing in my ear". So now Stop hissing in my ear has caught on for things.

Warning Vulgar
#3: D&D 2nd edition campaign, this one was a different group of players, it was something for us to do while drinking. This group was more foul mouthed and was only interested in the battles ect. One character was a homebrew monk who had psionic abilities, including one of them was being able to talk to animals. Well as we were clearing out a swamp area the monk wanted to do a listen check randomly. He ended up rolling a natural 20 so with the fact of nothing was around I decided to add a bit of flavor saying in a pool of water nearby you hear a fish splashing at the surface of the pond to your left. Well he decided he was going to use his ability to talk to him...... 30 minutes later of random nonsense questions the dwarf fighter who was a hot head in general just says out of character "MANNNNN **** THIS FISH!!! I'M TIRED OF THIS I WANT TO KILL SOMETHING" So within the group anytime we run into anyone who's being annoying or taking way too long we'll just sit there and say to each other "Man... **** this fish"

That's at least a few of the things that's happened with us.

Andreaz
2013-03-08, 01:13 PM
We had a bard fail so terribly bad that he became, off-character, known as the medieval rebeca black. When that player rolled a bard again he became known only as A Stranger, and often the new places we visited had someone that suffered horrible nightmares about a bard with horrible, horrible music, that looked just like the newly-arrived stranger.

Got us in jail a few times.

Once my group had a half-orc samurai (not the class, the aesthetic and role) who got seasick easily. The only way he found to control his sickness (to avoid "spoiling his image and honor") was to lock himself inside a barrel and meditate. When pirates inevitably struck he didn't want to leave, so we hurled the barrel with a catapult, delivering a whirling ball of razor-sharp hurt.

Quickly became a staple method of putting him in melee.

Fayd
2013-03-08, 02:26 PM
Nice! I'm enjoying all of these! Secondary question for those so inclined: Have any of these infected your regular speech away from the gaming table? A few of mine have.

Slipperychicken
2013-03-08, 03:57 PM
Nice! I'm enjoying all of these! Secondary question for those so inclined: Have any of these infected your regular speech away from the gaming table? A few of mine have.

Not sure if it counts, but I'm fond of using random name generators (Mostly SeventhSanctum) for my PCs, so I can avoid silly names like Dave the Wizard. My first character in this college gaming group got the last name Amberclash, which was so well-received that they decided it was better than my real name and started calling me that OOC, still using it to this day, months after I stopped playing with them.

Additionally, whenever the DM would ask me for my armor class, he sometimes mixed it up with my character's name and said "Armorclash", failing a few times before getting it right ("armorclash, no-Amberclash, wait, -amberclass, no AAAHH"). Good times.

yougi
2013-03-08, 06:45 PM
Here are a few off the top of my head:

- In a 1E game I played in, we were getting in a Hobgoblin fort, and my M-U cast Sleep on guards to get to the leaders in their main room. We slayed them, closed the door and rested for a bit, thinking of what to do. After a short while, other hobgoblins came by and knocked at the door, and we impersonated the boss and tried to make them leave. We then realized we never brought the sleeping hobgoblins inside the room, so they were laying in the hallway, asleep, and about to wake up. The DM said thatour PCs probably remembered the hobgoblins sleeping in the hall, and thought of bringing them in and putting them in the large firepit in the middle of the room. I responded with "Man, I want to make a scroll of this whole Sleep-Teleport-in-firepit spell before I forget how it works!" Whenever the DM went too easy on us, we called in a "Sleep-Teleport".

- I once told my players that when I had no name prepared for my NPCs, I'd make them using the first syllable of two words I had in front of me. This led to Melran (Melee-Ranged), Thronbil (Thrown Build), Wepfin (Weapon Finesse), and Reffalf (Reflex for half). The players bring it up pretty often in game, sometimes they try to name my characters for me ("I have a weapons table here, maybe you should name him Great-Great"), and often when I tell them of my friends with non-american name ("Zarina? What two words are those?" "No I swear that's a real person!").

- Whenever somebody asks for the PCs name, one of them invariably responds with the name of a former PC, "Glim Garrick", which is a gnomish name (one from the PHB!), even if the introduced PC is not a gnome.

- Every now and then, somebody will say "I'm Brutalitops!" in a dark, death metal singer voice, to which we'll all reply "the Magician!" in a girly voice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QRP9EzaL_I).

Silus
2013-03-08, 08:46 PM
A character specific one, my Blight Druid in Pathfinder Society got Wild Shape not too long ago and has been wildshaping into a raptor to eat faces and spreading disease.

Anyway, I've taken to communicating via "raptor noises". Happy, it's "happy raptor noises". Sad, it's "sad raptor noises" and so on and so on.

Also, he's named "The Doctor" as in "The Plague Doctor". I/he have to often reassure them that, no, I'm not playing a Time Lord.

Guizonde
2013-03-08, 09:33 PM
the first and easiest, relating to my dnd 3.5 dm's campaign that boils down to a fusion between call of cthulu and return to the temple of elemental evil.

"*panicky voice* i've only got 3hp left out of X! heal me!"
"don't worry, you'll be fine"

so far, the rogue has said it. the monk has said it. the druid has said it. the first cleric has said it. the wizard has said it. i've said it (second cleric). and now, the sorceror has said it. whenever we're arbitrarily low on hp (like 1 or 2), instead of saying it, we just say "i'll be fine, throw me a boss", or something to that effect.

the second comes from the same campaign:

i play a dwarven cleric of pelor by the name of corbec girderson (the subtle).
my character is devout to a very annoying point. not bigotted, but prays whenever he gets the chance. also, whenever he speaks, he invokes pelor's name... during a tough fight, the monk's player asked me my name... as a reflex, i bellowed "PELOOOOOOOOOR!!!". when the laughter died down, we knew my dwarf had been rechristened. it's become a meme when a player is derping or not listening that he bellows "pelooooor!" before finally getting the message that he needs to listen. go me and failing at getting out of roleplay...:smallannoyed:

the third one needs a bit of backstory:

i'm a lousy dm. i lack conviction, so i fall back on tropes. my group is very experienced, and it's my first dm'ing campaign. i'm scared. i was RP'ing an npc rogue in riddle-port, and i had to fall back to a canned response.

"times are hard 'round these here parts" was what i came up with. it was a phrase uttered by beggars in the french version of neverwinter nights... i made 5 rogues in a row say it to the pc's. first 2 times was accidental. by the third i was creating a running joke. by the 5th time, the pc's preempted the npc's. best time ever was when my dnd dm's girlfriend threw me a knowing look and said the phrase during a party after a friend of hers told us a sob story why she couldn't buy an iphone 5. ever since it's fallen into common use as either a canned npc response or when we snark a pity hound. i've never been prouder to dm so hard it affected reality :smallbiggrin:

the last ones comes from my warhammer campaign:

there's a wizard in the party who introduces himself as "dorkenmeinen, greatest wizard in the world". after 7 aced bluff checks, we now chorus "greatest in the world" whenever someone says the word "wizard".
i roleplay a chameleon skink, who so far fails rolls only when the dice gods deem it's funny. i'm running on the ceiling, then gravity reasserts itself at the most comedic moment, and it's become a running joke that "lizards have hated enemy (laws of physics)". my dice also hate making me pass alcohol resistance tests, so i'm always "drunk as a skunk skink". let's just say that any attempt at a serious session can be resolved by a lizard jumping into a barrel of beer.

Jay R
2013-03-09, 10:22 AM
Somebody wanted to play a Belkar-like character in a modern superhero game. Several times, when he tried to do something unacceptable, I said, "Can we be the good guys?"

Within a few episodes he was using it on me when I wasn't being stalwart or heroic enough.

hymer
2013-03-09, 10:44 AM
Well, we do have a few, and we've had a lot more. Some have more longevity than others.

"SQUAWK!" means "danger" or "help me" or somesuch. Uttering it is usually done with much pathos, as it's often a sign of considerable distress or desperation.

"Can you see through the grate/portcullis?" A wonderful question asked by a player confronted by a portcullis, now asked every time one of these occurs in game.

"It's a risk I'm willing to take." Said when you're not at risk yourself at all, but someone points out that someone else is lisable to end up dead or in a bad place because of it.

"The king's a fake!" is a comment usually attached to saying something incredibly unfortunate to an NPC. It comes from this being said to the king's loyal court wizard, who was trying to figure out if he should just kill the PCs who had broken into his fortress. The campaign ended there.

Slipperychicken
2013-03-09, 03:03 PM
Brutalitops!

I feel like someone needs to stack a bunch of templates on a Triceratops and rename it "Brutalitops". Then stick it in a crazy Wizard's lab as a Battletitan prototype, and/or have it released into the wild.

Warbeast Triceratops?

yougi
2013-03-09, 05:04 PM
I feel like someone needs to stack a bunch of templates on a Triceratops and rename it "Brutalitops". Then stick it in a crazy Wizard's lab as a Battletitan prototype, and/or have it released into the wild.

Warbeast Triceratops?

I'd go with Half-Golem (Iron) Half-Dragon (White) Three-Headed Monster of Legend Warbeast Triceratops.

Now, I want to put that in my party's face.

Linkavitch
2013-03-09, 05:18 PM
We had a Half-Orc Fighter Barbarian who would speak in the first person all the time. "Krudak smash." "Krudak want shiny object. Put in armor." At several points in the game, when the entire party fails a Spot Check trying to read label on a bunch of vials in a medicine cabinet, Krudak who could not read and had INT and WIS in the negatives, would roll a natural 20, and say "Krudak see EVERYTHING. But don't understand." It became one of our memes.

Minitroll
2013-03-09, 08:12 PM

I'm in drama, and 'Damn it Tutso' caught so well, that all nerds and drama students in the entire school all use 'Darn it Tutso' as a substitute for a happy happy word beginning with the letter 'F'. It doesn't get us in trouble in class AND outside of class, Damn it Tutso is much better then dropping f-bombs.

The thing that makes it better? I heard a jock use it a few days ago. WE HAVE CHANGED MY SCHOOL'S CUSS BANK. Now, we yell at Tutso.

Surfnerd
2013-03-09, 08:23 PM
In an early shadowrun game, the group was disguised as janitors and infiltrating a small time facility. While shuffling around the loading docks the office phone rings and one of the players answers it. I asked are you sure they are vidphones....

...he throws his hand in front of his face, bringing the back of his hand up to his forehead! and proceeds to struggle thru the conversation. Everyone laughed so hard I gave it to him... but let him sweat it on whether they would send someone down there.

Now if ever there's a question on to how to disguise, deceive or dupe in any of our games some one brings their hand to their forehead..... the perfect disguise.

Guizonde
2013-03-09, 11:34 PM

Warbeast Triceratops?

just strap on the sucker about 5 heavy machine guns (read unlimited wands of magic missile) and the same for flamethrowers (read hadoken searing light)
that should do it! :smallbiggrin:

note to self: keep that idea in the backup folder for unruly munchkins

Slipperychicken
2013-03-09, 11:39 PM
just strap on the sucker about 5 heavy machine guns (read unlimited wands of magic missile) and the same for flamethrowers (read hadoken searing light)
that should do it! :smallbiggrin:

note to self: keep that idea in the backup folder for unruly munchkins

I suggest Scorching Ray over Searing Light, and they're more like lasers (but still totally awesome). Burning Hands more closely resembles a flamethrower (there's got to be a higher-level conical fire spell).

Lucid
2013-03-10, 12:20 AM
Years ago when we were teenagers playing AD&D one of my friends introduced his character. Completing an elaborate description with the now famous words, "...and he carries two life-sized scimitars!", as if he were carrying 6 foot long blades.

Now whenever somebody is introducing a character or npc, we often declare some insignificant detail to be "life-sized".

HuskyBoi
2013-03-10, 12:28 AM
One of our most popular memes was the word "Cracking". As in, if something's going well, you'd say it was "Cracking!" (we're Brits, we say this sort of thing).

Me having a Welsh accent though, when I said it, it sounded like "Crah-ken". During one game, whilst on a ship at sea, I said it exactly that way and another PC shouted "Kraken? Where?!"

Ever since, the word "Cracking!" must always be followed with that same reply!

Zahhak
2013-03-10, 12:50 AM
About the closest thing to a meme in my group is just common characters. I'm normally melee DPS with a massive amount of sarcastic *******-ism; Taylor is almost always an irritable archer; Erin is the DM and when not, he's the guy who breaks the campaign, unintentionally or otherwise; and Dayton is just insane.

Although there are two from our current game:

I'm a red skinned demon from the pit of hell playing with a bunch of superheros, and my character keeps asking "Does he have a particular aversion to having nails driven into his eyes" when trying to gather intelligence on enemies, and "does it involve summoning a demon? Because I'm OK with that" or "I suggest we summon a demon"

This character's major method of attack is to teleport. He grabs someone, teleports high up, and then drops them, generally onto their allies. Now, we had just gotten done watching Deadpool: A Typical Tuesday (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDpXu4j7ibM), which includes a scene were Deadpool says "I left your friends in a cuddlepuddle". My teleportation attack is now called "cuddlepuddle", or "ranged cuddlepuddle". I routinely say "I'm going to cuddlepuddle him". Or I'll pick up some big object and say "I'm going to cuddlepuddle this car onto the BBEG". We decided I'm not allowed to buy points in "cuddlepuddle"