PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfire Adept Prestige Classes

Yogibear41
2013-03-08, 02:37 AM
Are their any Prestige Classes that have a requirement of spell caster level instead of level of spells being cast that have full casting progression or very close to full casting progression and good or average BAB bonuses?

HunterOfJello
2013-03-08, 02:53 AM
Lots of PrC's have the line "arcane caster level X". DFA aren't arcane though, so you should run these by your DM before he's likely to accept them.

~

A list can be found in the Dragonfire Adept Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870954/The_New_Dragonfire_Adept_Handbook!) near the middle.

Cog
2013-03-08, 08:47 AM
DFA aren't arcane though, so you should run these by your DM before he's likely to accept them.
DFAs explicitly qualify for "Arcane Caster Level X", so that's fine. It's "Spell Level X" and "Spellcaster Level X" that they can't do.

Man on Fire
2013-03-08, 08:56 AM
DFA qualifies for sorcerror PrCs the same way Warlock does.

Duke Arioch
2013-03-08, 09:08 AM
Try a dip of Mindbender (Complete Arcane) for telepathy. Other than that, I strongly suggest you stay DFA for majority of levels, because, although many PrCs continue your invocations, none advance your breath (which is the strength of the class). If you look at DFA, you will see that you can only drop 2 levels without any real loss (19 and 20 are dull). So, as I said, you could get Mindbender 1 level dip for telepathy, and 1 whatever (martial adept or rog for skills/maneuvers, although these would drop your CL by 1 if you care for that).

stack
2013-03-08, 10:17 AM
The real question is: Why do you care about BAB on a DFA? Unless you are UMDing wands of attack spells, you should not be making attack rolls.

Draz74
2013-03-08, 12:22 PM
I thought the sidebar for DFAs stated that casting-advancing PrCs also advance their breath damage?

Anyway ... there are some that meet the OP's requirements, but probably aren't desirable anyway, because of their harsh prereqs. Arcane Trickster. Unseen Seer. Virtuoso.

Others not so desirable because their special abilities mostly just enhance spellcasting (not Invocations). Blood Magus. Daggerspell Mage (also nasty prereqs). Divine Oracle. Sand Shaper.

In the end, the only PrCs that I've found that truly seem viable are Mindbender (1-level dip), Paragnostic Apostle (only minor perks, but you don't really lose anything), and Ruathar (same).

stack
2013-03-08, 12:37 PM
Advancing breath damage doesn't grant you new breath types.

Karnith
2013-03-08, 12:43 PM
I thought the sidebar for DFAs stated that casting-advancing PrCs also advance their breath damage?
Dragonfire Adepts advance their breath damage and invocation-using from prestige classes that advance spellcasting.

Dragonfire adepts benefit in a specific way from prestige classes that have a level advancement benefit of “+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class” or “+1 level of existing spellcasting class.” A dragonfire adept taking levels in such a prestige class does not gain any other benefits of that level increase, but she does gain an increased caster level when using her invocations and increased damage with her breath weapon. Levels of prestige classes that provide +1 level of spellcasting effectively stack with the dragonfire adept’s level to determine her breath weapon damage and save DC. She also gains new invocations at each prestige class level as though she had risen a level in the dragonfire adept class.
This doesn't, unfortunately, advance their breath effects.

On topic, one to three levels in dragonslayer (from Draconomicon) is pretty good for what you want to do, though it will probably need to wait for a while as it requires BAB +5. The dragonslayer class has good BAB, two good saves, d10 hit dice and advances spellcasting at every odd level (starting at first). It also doesn't require spellcasting at all, even though it advances it.

stack
2013-03-08, 01:01 PM
Takes feats to get in though. Still curious why the OP wants the BAB, might inform the discussion.

Psyren
2013-03-08, 02:11 PM
Why do you need BAB as a DFA? Your breath weapon is point and shoot, it doesn't need an attack roll.

Anyway, just check the PrC section of one of the Warlock handbooks, they qualify for most of the same things. They can even get into stuff like Eldritch Disciple.

Draz74
2013-03-08, 02:14 PM
This doesn't, unfortunately, advance their breath effects.

True. However, most breath effects are pretty weak anyway. So missing one or two of them isn't a big problem. At the very least, this lets you take 5 levels of PrCs, even if you're set on picking up Fivefold Nuke of Tiamat.

Yogibear41
2013-03-08, 03:23 PM
The real question is: Why do you care about BAB on a DFA? Unless you are UMDing wands of attack spells, you should not be making attack rolls.

Had the idea for making a were-dragon lycanthrope using the phynxkin as the base class and was going to go dragon shaman for character class. contemplating using dragon adept instead but due to its low bab hitting in melee with natural attacks would not be as effective I will most likely just go dragon shaman but was wondering if some prestige classes could help out with the bab while still advancing the breath weapon.

I have another thread open about the were-dragon but as of my last checking it not one person has responded with ideas for it :smallfrown:

Edit: I lied it has posts in it now! yay! :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2013-03-08, 03:38 PM
Advancing breath damage doesn't grant you new breath types.

I would rule that they do get them. After all, Warlocks keep getting new blast shapes and essences when they PrC, so it's only fair.

Greenish
2013-03-08, 03:56 PM
I would rule that they do get them. After all, Warlocks keep getting new blast shapes and essences when they PrC, so it's only fair.Don't warlocks have to use their invocations known for the blast shapes and essences, where DFA get their breath effects on a separate track?

Karnith
2013-03-08, 03:56 PM
Don't warlocks have to use their invocations known for the blast shapes and essences, where DFA get their breath effects on a separate track?
That is correct, though why exactly WotC made a distinction for dragonfire adepts and not for warlocks is beyond me.

Psyren
2013-03-08, 03:58 PM
Don't warlocks have to use their invocations known for the blast shapes and essences, where DFA get their breath effects on a separate track?

Yes, but they also get less invocations than Warlocks do so it does even out a bit.

Greenish
2013-03-08, 03:58 PM
That is correct, though why exactly WotC made a distinction for dragonfire adepts and not for warlocks is beyond me.Oh, that's easy. Warlocks were an early try, a proof of concept if you will. After the warlock had demonstrated that at will SLAs aren't overpowered (or even as powerful as they thought), they went easier on DFA.

Draz74
2013-03-08, 05:30 PM
Oh, that's easy. Warlocks were an early try, a proof of concept if you will. After the warlock had demonstrated that at will SLAs aren't overpowered (or even as powerful as they thought), they went easier on DFA.

More than that, they got a bunch of feedback where Warlock players complained that they wanted to take essences and shapes, but just couldn't bring themselves to do so when the opportunity cost was giving up a larger menu of non-shape/essence invocations.

Amnestic
2013-03-08, 06:43 PM
That is correct, though why exactly WotC made a distinction for dragonfire adepts and not for warlocks is beyond me.

Streamlines the concept. While some people appreciate the Warlock flexibility, I've always preferred the DFA method. DFAs are even more "out of the box ready" than Warlocks because of this. Different strokes for different folks really. I'm sure most DMs would allow you to take an invocation over a breath effect and vice versa anyway, should you want to.