Evocation (Chaos)
Level: Sor/Wis 3
Components: V, S
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: 100ft. line
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving throw: none
Spell resistance: yes
Chaos beam is a spell of wild magic; it allows the caster to release a powerful blast of magic dealing damage of a random type. Each time the spell is cast, it releases a random energy. The target hit by the spell takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 15d6). The damage type is rolled on the table below. Appearance is up to the caster and can be anything, bludgeoning could be a ray of kittens that disappear on impact, slashing could be a beam of throwing daggers, or fire could be a blast of cackling demon heads that breathe fire at the target
1d10 role
1: Fire
2: Electricity
3: Acid
4: Sonic
5: Cold
6: Bludgeoning
7: Piercing
8: Slashing
9: re role, subdual damage of that type, ignore any results of 9 or 10
10: role damage type twice and split the damage between the two types

ok any thoughts for this spell?

P.S. is it ok that all my spells have different threads? or am i breaking a rule? Im doing it like this because i like responses to my spells seperately :p

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-03-08, 05:33 PM
P.S. is it ok that all my spells have different threads? or am i breaking a rule? Im doing it like this because i like responses to my spells seperately :p

There's no rule against it, but it does drive other homebrewer's posts off the front page, so I personally tend to consider it common courtesy to condense things like this into a single thread. That way more 'brewers get more time visible on the first page, which I think it a good thing.

Chaos blast!
Evocation (Chaos)
Level: Sor/Wis 3
Range: 100ft. line
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving throw: none
Chaos beam is a spell of wild magic; it allows the caster to release a powerful blast of magic dealing damage of a random type. Each time the spell is cast, it releases a random energy. The target hit by the spell takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 15d6). The damage type is rolled on the table below. Appearance is up to the caster and can be anything, bludgeoning could be a ray of kittens that disappear on impact, slashing could be a beam of throwing daggers, or fire could be a blast of cackling demon heads that breathe fire at the target
1d10 role
1: Fire
2: Electricity
3: Acid
4: Sonic
5: Cold
6: Bludgeoning
7: Piercing
8: Slashing
9: re role, subdual damage of that type, ignore any results of 9 or 10
10: role damage type twice and split the damage between the two types

ok any thoughts for this spell?

Like your other spell I critiqued, this is a fairly bland damage spell, with the only twist being the variable damage source. Spells that have very basic effects are numerous, rather uninteresting, but, thankfully, typically easy to critique.

It should be roughly fine, damage-wise: the increased damage from the typical 10dX cap for 3rd level spells is acceptable given the single-target nature and the random damage type.

That said, it should require a ranged touch attack to hit. Most rays do, and this seems to function exactly like a ray.

inuyasha
2013-03-08, 05:37 PM
well i thought this would be a very long line (see range) but if it should be a ray let me know

also mind peaching my lantern of eternal venom?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-03-08, 05:43 PM
well i thought this would be a very long line (see range) but if it should be a ray let me know

Oh. Right. Sorry: the part about "the target hit" made me think it was a single target effect.

A 100ft line that can deal more than the usual damage and doesn't allow a saving throw is to good compared to other options. It should allow a save.

Bearing that in mind, I might make it Reflex half (like Lightning Bolt) cap the damage die at 10 as per most 3rd level spells, but increase the die size to d8 to account for the randomized damage type and the narrower line of effect.

also mind peaching my lantern of eternal venom?

Sure. I'll do that here, since I don't want to hit "Reply" on another thread. :smallsmile:

Lantern of eternal venom
necromancy
Level: Sor/Wis 6
Range: medium (100ft +10/level)
Area: 30ft
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving throw: fortitude negates
When this spell is cast, the caster throws a green ball of energy that radiates poison. Anyone within 20ft of where this ball goes must make a fortitude save or take 2d6 strength damage. every round someone is in the radius, they must make additional fortitude saves to avoid additional damage

any thoughts?

Strange spell. There are no rules for manipulating the ball, yet you mention it moving. That's an issue right off the bat.

Assuming it moves at your command, this spell is probably a bit to potent, as there isn't a way for your foes to move far enough away to prevent the 2d6 Strength damage save each round. It's very lethal, yet also problematic, since a 20ft radius is fairly large, and it's very easy for your allies to be caught in it as it persists.

I don't really like this one, but that's partly because I'm unclear on exactly how it's supposed to work: can you or can't you move the ball? If so, how? Why is the area 30ft when the effect conjures a ball with an active effect radius of 20ft?

inuyasha
2013-03-08, 05:52 PM
Oh. Right. Sorry: the part about "the target hit" made me think it was a single target effect.

A 100ft line that can deal more than the usual damage and doesn't allow a saving throw is to good compared to other options. It should allow a save.

Bearing that in mind, I might make it Reflex half (like Lightning Bolt) cap the damage die at 10 as per most 3rd level spells, but increase the die size to d8 to account for the randomized damage type and the narrower line of effect.

Sure. I'll do that here, since I don't want to hit "Reply" on another thread. :smallsmile:

Strange spell. There are no rules for manipulating the ball, yet you mention it moving. That's an issue right off the bat.

Assuming it moves at your command, this spell is probably a bit to potent, as there isn't a way for your foes to move far enough away to prevent the 2d6 Strength damage save each round. It's very lethal, yet also problematic, since a 20ft radius is fairly large, and it's very easy for your allies to be caught in it as it persists.

I don't really like this one, but that's partly because I'm unclear on exactly how it's supposed to work: can you or can't you move the ball? If so, how? Why is the area 30ft when the effect conjures a ball with an active effect radius of 20ft?

yeah i forgot to change some things from its transition from my tumblr blog (shopofhorror.tumblr.com all D&D stuff :smallsmile:)
and no you cannot move the ball, it flies out of your hand and it lands and stays there, radiating poison

Zarrgon
2013-03-09, 03:20 AM
Your spell is an auto hit spell right? Then it should give a save for half damage. If you wanted to keep no save, then you'd need to make the spell need a ranged attack to hit.

The damage types are a bit bland. And while that is fine for a Core game, it can be so much more fun if the spell could do say City Damage(from Cityscape).