PDA

View Full Version : A World for a Druid and Paladin

Greyheart
2013-03-08, 05:45 PM
Hi there, I'm relatively new to these forums but I'm hoping I can find some assistance in you good folks. Now, this setting I'm creating is a fantasy setting, with what I'd call mid-magic levels (in that magic is present and can be powerful but is not a part of everyday life). There are multiple gods including but not limited to: a sun god, a nature goddess, a moon god, and an ocean goddess. There will also be other supernatural entities that for now I will refer to as "spirits". These do not have as much power as a god but are still above mortal status. One of these spirits is the Shadow, a genderless, malevolent entity that seeks to attain godhood.

Now, to explain the title of this thread, I conceived the idea for this world through a thought that came to me about a month ago: could a vampire become a druid? I turned it around in my head and came up with a short story about such a character: the Baron of Duskvale. After that, I decided to write the story of another character for this world, one whose tale is tied to the Baron's. I settled on a young man from Duskvale, who watched as the Baron's wife stripped his home's freedoms away and could not stop it. After the Baroness kicked him out of the valley for "disturbing the peace", he discovered the larger extent of her villainy and became a paladin of the sun god.

Apart from this, I started making a map of the lands in which Duskvale is set, and then things started to flow from there. I'll detail that in the next post.

EDIT: First summary post can be found here. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14929040&postcount=21

Greyheart
2013-03-08, 06:13 PM
So, attached to this post will be the map I decided to make for this world. Now, as some of you will plainly be aware, I based this off of the Geography article by Rich Burlew under the Gaming section on the left-side of the page. I thought it worked very well, and I figured I would try it out. So far, I'm only focusing on the left continent/sub-continent, which is where Duskvale is. Of course, it's not just the valley town: it's a whole kingdom, and is divided into Duchies and further into Baronies (which explains the -Baron- of Duskvale).

Now, this is the Kingdom of Campes. It isn't relatively old, but it's still been around for a while: at least one to two-hundred years. The biomes here are mostly plains, forests, and mountains, but I think there should be some rocky lands in the north-west corner, which will explain why there's not many people living there (related to something later). Each of the colored sections is a duchy. I've decided not to further divide into the baronies just yet, because I'm not sure exactly how far their control actually extends into the wilderness. And as for the little grey island in the north-east of Campes? That's an "independent" state called Kalloh, which was inspired by something but is not really like it at all. Anyways, back to Campes.

The duchies are really A2 through A5. "A" is the King's/Queen's duchy, which in my opinion shouldn't have a duke, right? Opinions on that are welcome. But, anyways, I feel I should now clarify about the black dots because I didn't clarify earlier. I'm guessing that most of you are already aware (again) what these are, but for those of you who don't I'll explain. The large dots are the cities, while the small dots are towns or villages. Why didn't I say that earlier? I don't know, I'm not writing a formal essay here. Ah, screw it, let's move on. Wait...crap, I'm already three paragraphs in and I promised myself I wouldn't go past that limit per post. Welp, to the next post then.

...Aaaand I can't find a way to attach the image. I'll try to get it in with the next post. Blargh.

Greyheart
2013-03-10, 01:23 AM
http://sta.sh/0281xjyp1ibg

Okay, so I couldn't figure out how to get the image into the post itself, so instead here's a link to the pic on my deviantArt account. Now, let's start talking about Campes' history.

One of the reasons why I'm bringing this world to you lords and ladies is because I'm having trouble figuring out the past besides vague ideas. What I'd like is for Campes to be composed of two or three different cultures that were brought together under one name. Actually, on second thought, only the two cultures. Now, the larger culture is the more recent one, and my idea for it was that it is descended from settlers, probably from the eastern continent. The native culture I'm basing off of Scandinavia, including the names, which I'll detail later. The reason why the native people were absorbed was because they actually chose to do so.

As I've been writing this, an idea as for how that happened has been crystallizing in my mind. I had previously considered that the Campans (officially declaring that) and the natives (will figure out their name) allied together in the past to assist each other militarily. Also, I had been thinking that the natives hadn't expanded much on western continent, but hadn't decided why. Now I see that a good reason would be a dangerous enemy which kept them in old, well protected settlements. Not sure yet what such a foe might be, but until the Campans' ancestors showed up the natives didn't have much chance of going on the offensive.

After a long campaign, the united peoples were victorious and the Kingdom of Campes founded, with the natives' ancestral lands organized into their own duchy. Huh, well, look at that- I figured out some of the past on my own. But what do you guys and gals think of it? Do you think that it makes sense? Does anyone have any ideas for the great enemy of the ancestors? Damnit, Stargate Atlantis thoughts are popping up now. I'll leave this for now to see if anybody replies.

Greyheart
2013-03-11, 09:59 PM
Alrighty, since no one has replied yet, I'll just continue. Now, let's see, we've covered: genre; very very basic cosmology; a few names/basic map explanation; some history; aaand...that's it? Huh. Okay, well, let's get back into it. With an updated map! : D

http://sta.sh/01n3vdk416dd

Well, MOSTLY updated. Eighty percent updated. That's enough updated, right? I'm going to say yes.

Now, as you'll see, I've added something of crucial importance to this version of Campes: names. I decided to go with basic English stuff for Campes and Swedish for the natives, as mentioned last post. So- TO EXPLANATIONS! Let's start with the yellow area.

Northmont: Mostly mountains and rocky terrain, but a small amount of farm-able land around Lochside and in Duskvale. The former is the ducal city, while the latter is an isolated valley village. Stoneroot is a mining town which sends goods down to Lochside, and Riverheart sends such goods down the Longsleep River. The reason there aren't any official towns in the northwest (where the big name is being kind of obnoxious) is because it's mostly rocky hills with bad soil.

Now, to the green area.

Longcoast: Distinct rivers flow through this duchy, specifically the Longsleep and Palewater, which eventually merge together to become the Longwater (is that just way too easy?). The ducal city if Farshore, which is the only major port on the western side of the Kingdom of Campes, which is important because it gets the stone and jewels of Northmont to other countries. Dashford is important because it sits at the meeting point of the rivers, and has a large bridge. In the past, criminals from Ekemborn and Fairfallow would escape from pursuers by fording a certain shallow area into the town.

Okay, so that's two duchies down, three to go. Now, please, somebody tell me SOMETHING that they think about this world? Is Lochside an appropriate name? I'm really not sure. Are the names in general too simple? Should there be more rivers in Longcoast? Do the mountains in Northmont not make ANY sense? Please people, INPUT. I BEG OF YOU. For the sake of my sanity! D :

Frathe
2013-03-11, 11:01 PM
Okay, so that's two duchies down, three to go. Now, please, somebody tell me SOMETHING that they think about this world? Is Lochside an appropriate name? I'm really not sure. Are the names in general too simple? Should there be more rivers in Longcoast? Do the mountains in Northmont not make ANY sense? Please people, INPUT. I BEG OF YOU. For the sake of my sanity! D :I'd actually go for simpler names: Lakeside. Loch isn't really a normal/common English word; it's really Scottish. Simplicity vs. complexity isn't what matters; it's how well though out and fitting-an-aesthetic that separates good names from mediocre ones.

Stoneroot sounds kind of odd and is rather unsubtle in its connotations. Same with Riverheart, and I don't entirely understand its logic. I actually like Longwater (it sounds plausible), but don't like Longsleep (I don't understand the logic; is it calm?--seems stretched) or Palewater (that seems too easy, just naming a river after its color/paleness).

Duskvale is fine.

Greyheart
2013-03-12, 11:26 AM
I'd actually go for simpler names: Lakeside. Loch isn't really a normal/common English word; it's really Scottish. Simplicity vs. complexity isn't what matters; it's how well though out and fitting-an-aesthetic that separates good names from mediocre ones.

Stoneroot sounds kind of odd and is rather unsubtle in its connotations. Same with Riverheart, and I don't entirely understand its logic. I actually like Longwater (it sounds plausible), but don't like Longsleep (I don't understand the logic; is it calm?--seems stretched) or Palewater (that seems too easy, just naming a river after its color/paleness).

Duskvale is fine.

Yeah, I was really not feeling Lochside in the long run. To explain the rivers, though: Longsleep, as you guessed, is mostly a calm river- but I also wanted to tie it in with something to do with death. I know that sounds kind of morbid but it just seemed to jump at me. Palewater comes from the Palewood Forest, which stretches between the north of Longcoast and part of Ekemborn.

Frathe
2013-03-12, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I was really not feeling Lochside in the long run. To explain the rivers, though: Longsleep, as you guessed, is mostly a calm river- but I also wanted to tie it in with something to do with death. I know that sounds kind of morbid but it just seemed to jump at me. Palewater comes from the Palewood Forest, which stretches between the north of Longcoast and part of Ekemborn.Okay, I can see Palewater more then. Still not convinced about Longsleep--it almost now seems like a pun on "the long sleep", death. Unless you want pun names, I'm not sure.

For the mining town, instead of Stoneroot ("a source of stone"), how do you feel about Ironroot ("a source of iron")?

The Longsleep and Longwater do seem kind of similar. I have a suggestion for the Longsleep: the Sleeping River.

You've already heard my suggestion "Lakeside".

Greyheart
2013-03-12, 02:46 PM
Okay, I can see Palewater more then. Still not convinced about Longsleep--it almost now seems like a pun on "the long sleep", death. Unless you want pun names, I'm not sure.

For the mining town, instead of Stoneroot ("a source of stone"), how do you feel about Ironroot ("a source of iron")?

The Longsleep and Longwater do seem kind of similar. I have a suggestion for the Longsleep: the Sleeping River.

You've already heard my suggestion "Lakeside".

Ironroot would make more sense, really. A mining town doesn't become prosperous just because of stone. And the Sleeping River sounds great. I think I got wound up in the two-word names. Also, Lakeside will definitely be the new name for the capital of Northmont. For Riverheart, how about Riverhead instead, since it makes more sense as the beginning of the river?

Frathe
2013-03-12, 05:40 PM
Ironroot would make more sense, really. A mining town doesn't become prosperous just because of stone. And the Sleeping River sounds great. I think I got wound up in the two-word names. Also, Lakeside will definitely be the new name for the capital of Northmont. For Riverheart, how about Riverhead instead, since it makes more sense as the beginning of the river?Glad you like "Sleeping".

Riverhead is better, but I can almost take it as a weird insult ("Hey, you riverhead... always going on about rivers.")

Greyheart
2013-03-12, 10:32 PM
Glad you like "Sleeping".

Riverhead is better, but I can almost take it as a weird insult ("Hey, you riverhead... always going on about rivers.")

Huh. I never even considered that. But does that make it better for interduchy rivalries and such?

Frathe
2013-03-12, 10:55 PM
Huh. I never even considered that. But does that make it better for interduchy rivalries and such?I don't really think so. I meant that was a weakness. I guess this name works, though I feel vaguely unsatisfied and I wasted some time earlier trying to find a synonymous name (Like Riverroot, which sounds more like a plant, or Wellspring, which is incredibly generic--it's just a word).

Greyheart
2013-03-13, 12:19 AM
I don't really think so. I meant that was a weakness. I guess this name works, though I feel vaguely unsatisfied and I wasted some time earlier trying to find a synonymous name (Like Riverroot, which sounds more like a plant, or Wellspring, which is incredibly generic--it's just a word).

Perhaps something to do with a different form of water? A waterfall, maybe. Yes, I can see that. It does come out of the mountains, so a waterfall is plausible at the nearest point to the river's source.

Frathe
2013-03-13, 02:12 AM
In that vein, what about Riverfall? Or Whitewater, to indicate rapids (but maybe that's too much like Palewater).

Greyheart
2013-03-13, 06:43 PM
In that vein, what about Riverfall? Or Whitewater, to indicate rapids (but maybe that's too much like Palewater).

Riverfall sounds good. I would like to keep the word "river" in the name, so that fits quite nicely. I think I'll put together the post for Ekemborn and Fairfallow now.

Greyheart
2013-03-13, 08:11 PM
Okey dokey, so, here's some more explanation of places and such.

Ekemborn: The duchy of the native's ancestors, who happily joined the settlers in building a new nation. Small but important, Ekemborn provides quality timber with its large, ancient forests. The ducal city is the ancient stronghold of Berghem, with high walls and towers of strong mountain stone fused together with countless hours of chanted magic. On the eastern coast lies Havstad, a fishing town that doubles as small port. Originally, the island of Kalloh was part of Ekemborn, but that is now history.

Fairfallow: The duchy of the king or queen, who rules from the capital city of Highrock. Surrounded by great farming land, Fairfallow is the breadbasket of Campes.

That's all I have for Fairfallow right now, I'm having a bit of writer's block with it, as well as a complete writer's block with the fifth duchy. I figure it must be something important to not simply be part of Fairfallow. I'll work on it. Next, I'll explain Kalloh and why it's not simply a part of Ekemborn.

Frathe
2013-03-13, 08:27 PM
Just a thought, it'd be convenient and you might get more feedback if you organized all the stuff you have so far in a single post (maybe the first one).

Also, Highrock seems a little bland as a name. I might have suggestions if you can describe the city a little.

Greyheart
2013-03-13, 10:13 PM
Just a thought, it'd be convenient and you might get more feedback if you organized all the stuff you have so far in a single post (maybe the first one).

Also, Highrock seems a little bland as a name. I might have suggestions if you can describe the city a little.

Might be worth it. I would like to see some more people in here.

As for the capital city, I originally named it that because I planned for the royal castle to be built on a stony bluff that would allow it to look over the rest of the buildings.

Grinner
2013-03-13, 10:45 PM
Okay. The the larger culture that comprises the Campans is composed of political refugees fleeing the rise of a tyrannical warlord in their homeland to the west. The warlord's armies marched onto the eastern continent, but the combined efforts of the refugees and the natives drove them back. The war ended, perhaps with the warlord's death, but many of the refugees stayed, having already made their homes in the east.

Frathe
2013-03-13, 11:30 PM
Might be worth it. I would like to see some more people in here.

As for the capital city, I originally named it that because I planned for the royal castle to be built on a stony bluff that would allow it to look over the rest of the buildings.Ah, I was hoping it was something like that. I'd already thought of the name Highcastle for a map I made on my own. I offer the name to you now. How do you feel about it?

Greyheart
2013-03-15, 05:31 PM
Okay. The the larger culture that comprises the Campans is composed of political refugees fleeing the rise of a tyrannical warlord in their homeland to the west. The warlord's armies marched onto the eastern continent, but the combined efforts of the refugees and the natives drove them back. The war ended, perhaps with the warlord's death, but many of the refugees stayed, having already made their homes in the east.

Sounds interesting, and it would give me something to start on with the eastern continent. But I'd still like an enemy that the natives couldn't defeat on their own. Maybe the warlord coming after them could have come after, after he/she had consolidated their power. Similar to the War of 1812? Sort of.

Ah, I was hoping it was something like that. I'd already thought of the name Highcastle for a map I made on my own. I offer the name to you now. How do you feel about it?

Highcastle sounds fine, yeah. The other choice is Castlerock, and I don't think I need to explain what that sounds like. Alrighty, guess I'll be trying to make that summary post now.

Greyheart
2013-03-19, 09:48 PM
Here is the information on the world that has been confirmed thus far. I would like to thank Frathe and Grinner for their contributions.

-SUMMARY START-

-The world has multiple gods and lesser supernatural entities known as spirits.
Known entities:
+Thron, the Sun God
+Reah, the Nature Goddess
+An unnamed moon god
+An unnamed ocean goddess
+The Shadow, a spirit of darkness

-Magic is present but not available to everyone and not a part of everyday life.

-The western continent is home to the Kingdom of Campes, which is composed of two cultures: the Campans and the natives (who I have yet to properly name).
+Campans are descended from settlers who originated on the eastern continent and were fleeing from a vicious conqueror.
+The natives are based on Scandinavians, and I based their names for people and places on Swedish.
+These lands were spacious but the natives had not expanded far beyond their homes near the southern edge of the northern mountains. This was because a great enemy had fought with them for centuries. When the eastern settlers arrived they were at first caught unprepared, but quickly went on the defensive and kept the enemy at bay. The natives contacted these new people, and an alliance was formed to end the threat. With a joint army, the allied peoples defeated the enemy. Afterwards the settlers decided to found a new kingdom and offered the natives a place in it. Having enjoyed victory with their new allies, they agreed and so Campes was born.

-The Kingdom is composed of five duchies: four are controlled by a duke or duchess, while the last is under the king or queen.
+Northmont: Mountains and forests fill this duchy. Its iron mines provides for much of the useful metal of Campes, but the soil is mostly poor for farming.
+Longcoast: With the longest river in the kingdom, and the only major port on the western shores, Longcoast sends goods from Northmont on ships to other markets.
+Ekemborn: The natives’ duchy which has tall, ancient forests utilized for a logging industry. The ducal city is the fortress where their ancestors defended against the great enemy.
+Fairfallow: Rich soil persists through most of the royal duchy, making the area around the capital of Highcastle the breadbasket of the kingdom.
+The Unnamed Duchy: UNDER CONSTRUCTION.

Greyheart
2013-03-19, 10:18 PM
I think I'm going to make another actual information post with that summary because I haven't continued with this thread in a timely fashion. So, let's talk about the grey colored island on the north-east edge of Campes. The large part of this I figured out already but some I'll be putting down for the first time.

This island is called Kalloh, and it's a chilly place with lots of rock- both on the island and in the water around it. Originally settled by the natives (man, I really need a name for them), the island was a safe haven away from their natural enemy who could not cross the sea. Hmm, that also gives us a good explanation for why this great foe was never heard of on the eastern continent. Anyways, Kalloh didn't have much but it became self sufficient as the people living there became excellent fishers and capitalized what little useable ground there was. But because of this they became less and less concerned about what happened on the mainland. Eventually they could only be relied on for assistance in the worst circumstances.

When the eastern settlers arrived, the people of Kalloh distrusted them immediately. Throughout the entire war to wipe out the enemy, the Kallohni (?) never participated in any efforts that involved the settlers. Unsurprisingly, this meant they hardly contributed at all. But when Campes was formally founded, Kalloh was automatically considered part of the duchy of Ekemborn. The mainland natives always thought of their chilly cousins as still part of the ancient nation, but the Kallohni thought differently. In fact, they were pretty pissed about it. Almost immediately after hearing the news, Kalloh declared itself independent from Ekemborn and especially from Campes.

At first, the original Campan king was planning to retake the island. But the newly appointed duchess of Ekemborn told him that there was no way to take the island without knowledge of the rocks surrounding it. And besides that, there wasn't much to take: it hardly had any resources and there was not much room for growth. So, Kalloh was granted its independence- which actually left some Kallohni disappointed since they were hoping for a fight.

Today, Kalloh remains an independent state in theory. However, in practical terms it relies on its relation with Campes. Over the years, the rocky isle has become a northern port for ships coming from the southernmost duchy and parts of the eastern continent. But it only remains so due to its convenient proximity to the kingdom. While the Kallohni would have continued to sustain themselves without this, the port business has provided more wealth to many families. So, they keep a friendly if tense relation with the Campans and their old mainland cousins.

RolandDeschain
2013-03-24, 09:49 AM
If you've based the native culture on Scandinavia, particularly the Swedish, why not just pull up "google translate" set it on English to Swedish and generate some names, or at least the roots for some names. For example, if you haven't come up with a name for the native culture yet you could simply have them refer to themselves as "The People"(very similar to many native american cultures). The Swedish word for people is, människorna. The Swedish word for natives is infödda. This would also allow you to have "twin names" for all of the natural geographic features like mountains and rivers. Just a thought....

Greyheart
2013-03-25, 11:31 PM
If you've based the native culture on Scandinavia, particularly the Swedish, why not just pull up "google translate" set it on English to Swedish and generate some names, or at least the roots for some names. For example, if you haven't come up with a name for the native culture yet you could simply have them refer to themselves as "The People"(very similar to many native american cultures). The Swedish word for people is, människorna. The Swedish word for natives is infödda. This would also allow you to have "twin names" for all of the natural geographic features like mountains and rivers. Just a thought....

Actually, that is exactly what I did. Ekemborn is a combination of the words oak, home, and bear in Swedish. Berghem is "mountain" and "home". Kalloh is based off of "kall" which means island and "ö" which is what I got for cold. I like that idea for the native's name as "The People". How about we turn "människorna" into the Mänisk? Or the Manskorna? Other suggestions are also welcome.

RolandDeschain
2013-03-26, 11:27 PM
Actually, that is exactly what I did. Ekemborn is a combination of the words oak, home, and bear in Swedish. Berghem is "mountain" and "home". Kalloh is based off of "kall" which means island and "ö" which is what I got for cold. I like that idea for the native's name as "The People". How about we turn "människorna" into the Mänisk? Or the Manskorna? Other suggestions are also welcome.

Ooops, I shouldn't have just made the assumption that you hadn't. I kind of like the sound of 'skorna.

Greyheart
2013-03-27, 08:09 PM
Ooops, I shouldn't have just made the assumption that you hadn't. I kind of like the sound of 'skorna.

It's fine, it's not like it was obvious. Unless you speak the language, I wouldn't think so. "Skorna" to me sounds too much like "scorn" which I don't think is a good association to make with the natives. Maybe I should try something in Danish or Norwegian, since they're the other two Scandinavian countries and from what I've heard all three languages are closely related.

Greyheart
2013-03-29, 12:43 AM
It's fine, it's not like it was obvious. Unless you speak the language, I wouldn't think so. "Skorna" to me sounds too much like "scorn" which I don't think is a good association to make with the natives. Maybe I should try something in Danish or Norwegian, since they're the other two Scandinavian countries and from what I've heard all three languages are closely related.

Hmm, well after looking at Danish and Norwegian translations for "The People" and various synonyms, I think I'm going to go with a previous idea I stated and- for the time being- call them the Mänisk. So, we've finally given them a name. Wow, that feels really good to have gotten that done after what seems like a long time but really isn't.

Now, I feel like I really need to flesh out the enemy that the Mänisk couldn't defeat alone. I've been considering undead, but they seem rather overused as a large, long-standing foe-that-could-only-be-defeated-by-the-timely-arrival-of-outsiders. You know, I've had a growing urge to incorporate centaurs in this setting, but I feel like they belong more on the eastern continent. I think I'm going to set them as significant force there, but for now I have to figure out the western foe.

Hmm... undead doesn't necessarily mean just zombies and/or skeletons... but vampires and ghosts was a major point in Magic: the Gathering's Innistrad. Ogres? That's as cliched as orcs and goblins... wait. A thought has occurred to me while dragons flicked across my mind. What about some sort of avian race? Harpies, or something similar? And maybe some few of them still survive in the mountains of the south? Raiding parties that would descend on settlers trying to set up in that area, which is why Fairfallow doesn't extend to that area: nobody really lives there except for in that one port city, which could be just far enough from the mountains to deter most raids and heavily defended enough to ensure the failure of the rest.

What do you good folks think, could that work? An avian race would have a pretty big advantage over regular humans. Does it sound like I'm pulling too many aspects from Guild Wars? Do let me know. As always, thanks for the ideas and comments.

Frathe
2013-03-29, 03:15 AM
What do you good folks think, could that work? An avian race would have a pretty big advantage over regular humans. Does it sound like I'm pulling too many aspects from Guild Wars? Do let me know. As always, thanks for the ideas and comments.I don't know any detail about Guild Wars, but an avian race sounds fine. Do you want to go for disgusting harpylike bird-people, or more angelic (in appearance) winged humans? It'll make a lot of difference to people's perception. Actually, I'd find it interesting if you managed to balance both the disgusting and noble aspects of birds, and had a race of no inherent alignment, where some were noble and eagle-like while others were vile and vulture-esque. Maybe these would be humanoids with wings, and beaks or beak-like noses; I'm not sure.

Greyheart
2013-03-29, 03:06 PM
I don't know any detail about Guild Wars, but an avian race sounds fine. Do you want to go for disgusting harpylike bird-people, or more angelic (in appearance) winged humans? It'll make a lot of difference to people's perception. Actually, I'd find it interesting if you managed to balance both the disgusting and noble aspects of birds, and had a race of no inherent alignment, where some were noble and eagle-like while others were vile and vulture-esque. Maybe these would be humanoids with wings, and beaks or beak-like noses; I'm not sure.

In terms of balancing noble and vile aspects, I could always go with something akin to tengu. Although, they also make an appearance in Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. I think I'd prefer for the avian race to be more vile than noble, though, so let's go with harpies for now. So, this flying scourge, who forced the Manisk to build their fortress into the side of the mountains where they couldn't descend from above. I'm thinking either the Campans' ancestors brought bows, magic, or sheer numbers- possibly a combination of two or all.

Greyheart
2013-04-03, 12:39 AM
In terms of balancing noble and vile aspects, I could always go with something akin to tengu. Although, they also make an appearance in Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. I think I'd prefer for the avian race to be more vile than noble, though, so let's go with harpies for now. So, this flying scourge, who forced the Manisk to build their fortress into the side of the mountains where they couldn't descend from above. I'm thinking either the Campans' ancestors brought bows, magic, or sheer numbers- possibly a combination of two or all.

Don't you die on me, thread! *USES SHOCK OF LIFE* ...It's breathing! The thread's gonna make it!

Okay, now that I've gotten THAT very odd thing out of my system: hello, and welcome to a long overdue new installment of A World for a Druid and Paladin. Tonight, we've got a very special topic: the birdmen of Campes!

That's right, guys and gals, I've decided not to go with harpies after all, but rather a mix of them and tengu: they'll still have the general appearance of tengu for most of the body, but will have large wings on their backs to allow powered flight and gliding. They'll come in a variety of colors and have multiple sub-cultures but I haven't decided if I'm going with full-on differences based on varied birds, i.e. owls, hawks, eagles, ravens, etc.

Some things I am currently contemplating are: their culture, their place in history, and their current standing. Let's be simple and start with the first item on that list.

The birdmen have lived on the eastern continent at least as long as the humans, possibly longer. But no human scholar knows for sure because of a distinct lack of evidence. The Manisk's name for them is "Kurreh", which means "bird-folk" (which is an adaptation of the Swedish word 'kurre' which [according to Google] translates into both 'bird' and 'fellow'). But this is not the flying race's name for themselves: no one knows what their real name is, as they will not speak with humans. Even the Manisk, who fought with the birdmen for centuries, don't know anything beyond a very few snippets of their culture.

I think I might make the Kurreh matriarchal, but for now I'm going to keep them pretty secretive. I kind of like the idea of the humans thinking of them as the ancient bogeymen of the skies. Anyways, that's talk for a later time. Next post (which should be tomorrow) will be on their significance in the past, and some ideas about the Founding War.

Greyheart
2013-04-04, 11:01 PM
Don't you die on me, thread! *USES SHOCK OF LIFE* ...It's breathing! The thread's gonna make it!

Okay, now that I've gotten THAT very odd thing out of my system: hello, and welcome to a long overdue new installment of A World for a Druid and Paladin. Tonight, we've got a very special topic: the birdmen of Campes!

That's right, guys and gals, I've decided not to go with harpies after all, but rather a mix of them and tengu: they'll still have the general appearance of tengu for most of the body, but will have large wings on their backs to allow powered flight and gliding. They'll come in a variety of colors and have multiple sub-cultures but I haven't decided if I'm going with full-on differences based on varied birds, i.e. owls, hawks, eagles, ravens, etc.

Some things I am currently contemplating are: their culture, their place in history, and their current standing. Let's be simple and start with the first item on that list.

The birdmen have lived on the eastern continent at least as long as the humans, possibly longer. But no human scholar knows for sure because of a distinct lack of evidence. The Manisk's name for them is "Kurreh", which means "bird-folk" (which is an adaptation of the Swedish word 'kurre' which [according to Google] translates into both 'bird' and 'fellow'). But this is not the flying race's name for themselves: no one knows what their real name is, as they will not speak with humans. Even the Manisk, who fought with the birdmen for centuries, don't know anything beyond a very few snippets of their culture.

I think I might make the Kurreh matriarchal, but for now I'm going to keep them pretty secretive. I kind of like the idea of the humans thinking of them as the ancient bogeymen of the skies. Anyways, that's talk for a later time. Next post (which should be tomorrow) will be on their significance in the past, and some ideas about the Founding War.

Whoops, that whole "next post the day after the last" thing didn't go so well did it. Anyways, it's time for the Kurreh and their place in history.

These avians were once the dominant people of the western lands. The humans, under continued attacks, were forced to heavily defended towns and a few mountain fortresses. One of these was Berghem, which while under near constant assault was protected by great warriors, magical wards, and by building the city further and further into the far more defensible interior of the mountain.

Kalloh, though easily assailed from the air, was far enough away that the Kurreh had little motivation to make any serious assaults there. Havstad was abandoned for a long time, so the birdmen didn't care about it.

One day, the ancestors of the Campans landed on the eastern shores, and began to set up a colony there. Very soon, though, the Kurreh attacked; the surprise assault seemed devastating at first, but then the foreigners struck back with longbows and offensive magic. After driving back their attackers, the Campans immediately retreated to the relative safety of the ocean, and their mages and few remaining clerics (more on that later) began to inquire about this threat. A cleric of the ocean goddess revealed he had been told to travel up a river, to the north. When asked why, the cleric said that it was all the goddess could advise them to do.

But this post has gotten too long, so next time will be Kurreh in History, Part 2: The Birdmen Driven Back