PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Mercy IC

Pages : [1] 2

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-08, 10:18 PM
The whole tavern fell silent when the lumbering minotaur walked through the door. The gamblers let the dice lay where they had dropped, and even the barman stopped washing glasses to watch the giant.
That's you, Belisarius.

In a corner sat a pair of magic users. They too had turned to watch the door, the bard's fingers going to rest lightly on his blade as the wizard shifted in his seat.
Fennel and Rowan.

Closer to the door sat a trio of humans. The male, a bard, shifted uneasily; he was closest to the tauren. Meanwhile, his companions sat more relaxed; one, a duskblade, sized up the potential opponent as he approached the bar.
Ruwar, Peregrin, and Leandris.

"We don't want any trouble here, cowboy," drawled a man seated at the bar. "Why don't you just head right on back the way you came. Find some of your own kind. There's a stables cross the street as'd give you a drink."

The bartender looks uneasily at the man, as if he is unhappy with him goading the half ton behemoth that had by now reached the bar. However, he was clearly unwilling to protest, and returned to washing glasses with his hands shaking slightly.

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-08, 10:30 PM
His body ached. Every motion, strained.
How... did I… get here? He seemed almost surprised to hear his own voice.

Did they not know the war was over? Theirs was supposed to be a new
generation – a new start! Yes, he was a product of cruelty, an instrument of war forged in the foul breeding pits of his arcane masters – but he was free!
Was he unique? He’d never dared to ask – it was this caution that helped him survive.

That hamlet was his home. He had cleared those pesky gnolls, settled in a small house, and worked the land. It was good. The villagers grew to appreciate him – some may even say like – but no.
Adventurers. Thinking before acting, they broke into his house and attacked him without warning. Despite his protestation, their blades cut into his body.

Their arrows piercing his hide. There was nothing he could do, it was self defense.

The villagers thought otherwise. Seeing the bodies, they immediately casted aside their former protector. Sure, they didn’t pose a threat, but he couldn’t harm them, they were, for better or worse, his family.

Since then, he’s been harried and chased.

The last bunch, they’d packed quite a punch, I almost didn’t make it…

But now, Tell’s Howe. He can finally prove himself! His name shall be cheered from Loogan to the Hardaac Citadel; from Zackron to Nitchel. They will know Belisarius Sand.

"We don't want any trouble here, cowboy,"

Belisarius was pulled back to reality.

You show bravado human. That I can respect .
With each step shaking the floor boards, we walks towards the bartender.

What I cannot respect is that you should treat me as a beast.

Now give me a tankard of your finest ale.

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-08, 10:41 PM
The bartender hurries to fill a flagon, lips pursed. As he does, his eyes flicker back and forth to the man who insulted you, who stands up to face you now.

"Yo, cow! I said we don't want you stinking up our bar! Go **** in the grass - we're eating here!"

The woman seated by her side reaches up to pull him down, but he shrugs her off. She sits with a huff, but seems pleased with the mans nerve anyway.

Around the room, the patrons seem to grow more nervous. The gamblers have begun to pack their dice and cards away. One of the cardplayers seems irate that the game has ended while he was ahead, and begins to argue with the dealer in hushed tones. In the back, a few men slip out the door without paying for their drinks, unnoticed by the bartender, the minotaur, and the insulting man.

supernerd
2013-03-08, 10:56 PM
Fennel sat back in his seat, and waited alert to see what all would happen. He wasn't too keening a bar fight, so he decided to take matters into his own hands. Reaching for his ocarina, he stood up as to command a greater presence before using his charming song on the two future belligerents and his music to calm the rest of the bar.

Fascinate on Mean Guy and Cow
DC[roll0] Will save.

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-08, 11:08 PM
Bel can make his own save.
The stranger gets a 33

The man at the bar turns to the bartender with a snarl. "The hell'r you doing? Put that back! What'dyou think your doing, serving an animal like that in here?"

He grabs the girl's hand, tugging her towards the door. "Screw this, man, I thought we came to a bar, not a friggin stable!"

The barman calls out, "Sir, wait, please!"

Turning to Bel, he says hesitantly, "I'm sorry, sir, you have to leave."

Shinovar
2013-03-08, 11:48 PM
Leandris' eyes follow the irate man till he passes through the door. Then his focus shifts to the minotaur. Leandris is no expert on their kind, but this one does not seem like the kind to take these insults and rejections. Leandris shifts his weight in his chair so getting up quickly will present no difficulty. To any outside observer, Leandris is as calm as can be. Inside, he mentally plans both attacks and escape plans.

Saskia
2013-03-09, 12:04 AM
With her hand on her short sword beneath her coat, Peregrine eyes the belligerents carefully over her shoulder as her friend played his enchanting tune. Her great sword would be dangerous to wield in the bar.

The bull seemed alright, just ignorant peasants giving him trouble; if he really wanted to start anything he'd have half the bar in ruins by now. The bartender was nervous, but hell, she would be too if she were a simple civilian approached by a walking engine of destruction, no matter how polite or restrained it was.

The man was harmless. Just an ass, probably the type to obsess over the size of other men's pricks. Disgusting.

Still, Peregrine was in a foul mood anyway, having lost a major score to some kobold bandits recently, and was not keen to let something like this go. She knew something of bigotry, and if the bull-man stood up for himself it would only confirm their suspicions.

With a wicked grin she briefly whispers an incantation, and stands up with her drink, putting on a straight face.

Thanks be to Pelor, somebody here has some sense for once, she says, offering the man her hand in congratulations.

Knowledge (local) [roll0] [edit: 32 grants a +4 bonus] (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-champion--57/knowledge-devotion--1727/) for knowledge devotion to identify what sort of humanoid he is, and gain an attack and damage bonus against him (and any others of his race) if things turn south.

Casting shocking grasp, but using nonlethal substitution; just because he's a prick doesn't mean he should die. It just means inflicting intense pain is not something to lose sleep over.

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-09, 12:13 AM
1d20+4 against fascinate, rolled an 18 as per OOC thread.

The cities were suppose to be better...You have no quarrel with me bartender, why should I leav... but before he can complete his thought, Belisarius notices the sweet sounds of an ocarina.

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 12:18 AM
The movement of Peregrine gives Leandris pause.

What is that hotheaded fool up to? He thinks. Surely he knows to let well enough be. We want no trouble here.

Still, Leandris knows better. He puts his hand to his chain and his feat under him and readies himself for the worst.

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-09, 12:29 AM
They bartender looks panicked now. As the stranger leaves the bar, he slumps over with a sigh; "Whatever. Here's your beer; drink it and get out."

Turning to adress the crowd, he shouts, "You all heard me. Finish your drinks and GET OUT!"

He then turns and goes into the other room.

The bar is quiet now, filled with a sense of unease. You may act freely within it, gather information, ect. Nothing else is going on.

Saskia
2013-03-09, 12:49 AM
Peregrine curses in disbelief; she was really hoping to take out some stress on that pitiful sod. She turns and takes a seat next to the minotaur, apparently unphased by the air of discomfort settled over the tavern.

Well I tried to get him for you, but the prick didn't bite. Looking at the bar's selection, she hops over the counter as if she owned the place and takes a bottle down, leaning back over the counter to inspect it more thoroughly, and pours herself a drink. Shame, really, she says, swirling the tankard and watching the liquid with mild interest. It'd be a hell of a time if- She looks up at the half-minotaur and sighs, realizing she's effectively talking to a wall, except a wall would be less responsive to the bard's song. She looks around the tavern at the other patrons and points to the closest one and asks Who was that fetcher? pointing lazily toward the door with the bottle.

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-09, 12:51 AM
edit 2: can I assume Fennel stops playing his ocarina?

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-09, 01:04 AM
The girl she points at grins lazily. "Oh, you can't be local. That's Tonks. He's an... interesting man, as leads an... interesting life, if you catch my drift. Not a man to cross, but your friend there... well, I reckon he can handle himself." She tosses her red hair.

The girl is short, only about 4'11". She is dressed in a white cotton robe, but she has red leather shoulder pauldrons, and by her side is a sword, sheathed in red leather as well. Her hair is copper coloured, and her eyes are warm and hazel. Before her is a bowl of stew, and she is drinking what looks to be a flagon of mead. She reaches up to brush her hair back, revealing a topaz ring set in silver. It glitters brightly in the dark tavern.

"Don't worry about Pete. Tonks is always in here bitching about something, but he wouldn't do anything to the old man."

Saskia
2013-03-09, 01:27 AM
I'm not local, and I'm afraid I don't catch you, hun. Her tone is blunt. You mean like leader of a dark cult sacrificing virgins in his wine cellar interesting, or run o'the mill crime syndicate demanding protection money interesting?

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-09, 01:44 AM
"Oh, you know how some men are... He's strictly a lowlife, though. Smuggling, mostly. Drugs and whores." She grins. "Anyone could tell you that."

She takes another draught from her mead, draining it.

"Come look me up sometime if you and your friend are looking for somewhere safer to spend the night. My friend runs a tavern on the other side of town, and she doesn't mind the occasional oddball."

She lays a round metal disc on the table in front of you.

The coin is about five centimeters across, and only millimeters thick. On the front is a strange mark, etched into the bronze. It looks like this:

Ѧ

"I was just casing this place out for her, you know... Sizing up the competition, so to speak. Imma bust out of here now, though."

She gets up, gathering her things. "You'll see me. Show that to anyone local if you feel the urge to find me."

With that, she leaves, vanishing into the crowded street.

Macros
2013-03-09, 04:19 AM
It was amazing, Rowan thought, how little sense of preservation some people seemed to possess. For one, he made it a general rule to not antagonize someone twice his size, with a blade bigger than he was. Apparently this bartender operated under different rules. The wizard suspected that drunken courage was involved. Unfortunately, it now meant that his downtime was about to be cut short. With a resigned sight, he turned toward his bardic companion and whispered.

" Was resorting to magic straight away really our best option ? "

Saskia
2013-03-09, 04:45 AM
Peregrine puts the bottle down and picks up the coin to inspect it, taking a drink from her flagon. With a shrug she pockets the odd token and pours a drink for the odd creature. Last call! she calls out jovially from behind the counter, the bottle held aloft. Who's dry?

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-09, 04:49 AM
By this point the bar is mostly empty. Only a handful of people remain.

That's you lot, by the way.

Outside, the sky has begun to turn pink. By any reckoning, there are about one and a half hours until dark.

Macros
2013-03-09, 05:08 AM
Rowan raised his head toward the counter at the call. Maybe this evening would not be a complete waste, after all.

"Thanks, I think I'll take you up on your offer."

Rising up from his chair, he approached the pair, throwing Peregrine a grateful look.

"Well, so much for a quiet evening, I suppose. Is it always like this, around here ?"

Yas392
2013-03-09, 06:05 AM
She watched as events unfolded, tension disparage.Finally, another one who appreciates music. She claps his hands in anticipation. She actually sympathized with that stupefied bull, tearing up. Aww, poor moo moo, his melody is so sad.Ruwar skips along the bar, wiping her eyes. She sat on a table, cross-legged. She looks at the people who were finishing their drink.

"Hiii, you friends with that grinch?"

Ruwar's head tilts in confusion, smiling awkwardly.

Gather Information - [roll0]

Note: This was before the few people remaining which consists of the players.

supernerd
2013-03-09, 06:11 AM
Fennel looked to his companion, slightly distraught. Come now, that's not magic, that's just a trick. And it seems as though that was a very viable choice. Listening in on their conversation across the room, he said, Well whoever he is, he is incredibly powerful. That ability is made to work almost definitely and he seemed as though it barely turned his eye. If he's a smuggler, then he's either going to be appeased or you'll need far beyond any Great War hero to take him out.

i can only fascinate for 36 seconds, so yes.

Macros
2013-03-09, 08:44 AM
" Well if by "very viable choice" you meant "scaring away the whole place", then, yes, I concur. " joked Rowan, before downing his drink - almost chocking in the process. "As for the bartender, perhaps he simply is incredibly stubborn. He did seem quite prejudiced toward..." The archaelogist turned toward the massive Tauren, trying not to focus too much on the gigantic blade he was carrying. "I am sorry, I don't think I got your name ?"

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-09, 09:21 AM
Belisarius, and you are?

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 11:29 AM
When Peregrine offers free reign of the bar, Leandris knows its going to be a good night. He walks over to the counter and reaches under it until he finds a bottle.

"I'm dry, but I'm going to try this instead. They always leave the best stuff where the patrons can't see it."

Macros
2013-03-09, 12:32 PM
Quite oblivious to the ransacking taking place near him, Rowan extended his hand toward the - quite intimidating, he had to confess - tauren.

" My name is Rowan Emerich, pleased to meet you. "

It suddenly occured to him that living his hand at the mercy of someone who could probably rip off his arm without even trying perhaps had not been one of his brightest ideas. The wizard inwardly cringed, hoping he didn't just made a terrible mistake...

Saskia
2013-03-09, 01:43 PM
Oh, come on, Peregrine says idly, I may be in the fortunate position of preferring a decent applejack to a hundred-gold brandy, but the guy still needs to make a living. Can't do that if his good stock disappears.

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-09, 01:59 PM
Outside, the sun has begun to set. It would be best to secure shelter soon, or risk being stuck outside at night.

The bartender seems to have vanished, so there's no chance of getting a room here.

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 02:18 PM
"I'm just getting what he sold me. I ordered his finest brandy and he charged me for it, but what I was served certainly wasn't of this quality." Leandris replaces the bottle after pouring himself a drink. "Well, I suppose we should be off. We won't find a room here and I would much rather sleep in a bed than on the hard ground."

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-09, 02:43 PM
If you head out:

Exiting to the street in front of the tavern, you see the road lead off to the left and right. Across the street there is indeed the mentioned stable. Only a handful of adults are out, but the street children are still playing in the road. To your left stands a haycart, with a horse harnessed to it. To your right, a pair of guards are surveying the street.

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 03:06 PM
Leandris leaves the bar, hiding payment underneath the counter.

He smiles to himself as he sees the children playing. Oh, to be young. To think, this is the first generation to have any sense of peace. Leandris turns to the guards on his right. "Hello friends, might I bother you for directions to an Inn where I might find a decent room?" Leandris nods his head back to the bar he just left. "The proprietor of the one I was just at seems to have better things to do than take in guests."

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-09, 03:29 PM
Rowan Emerich? That's a good solid name, Belisarius chortled. His massive hand fully encasing Rowan's, the half-minotaur gave it a gentle shake.

Noticing the few remaining patrons, Belisarius remarks Its quite obvious that nothing's really gonna happen here, once you and your friends are done drinking, you've got a plan?. Perhaps a plan that could use a little muscle...

Saskia
2013-03-09, 03:41 PM
Peregrine leans over the bar with a mischievous grin toward the minotaur-man. Come on, sweet thing, you're moving in on my territory now. Those two boys belong to me, protection and breaking stuff is what I get paid for.

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-09, 03:46 PM
Taken back at being called 'sweet thing' by someone, who by all standards appears to be quite attractive, Belisarius attempts to quickly recover his composure.

On the first. I am fine with these boys being yours.
On the second. I think you'd agree that there is plenty protecting and breaking to go around.
On the third. I have just met you, and I think I like you already

supernerd
2013-03-09, 03:48 PM
You can call me Fennel, Bell, he says to the large tauren, not nearly as anxious as his companion. He could take him, after all, he'd proved it just then. This Tonks fellow seemed to be off so hopefully he wasn't too dangerous. The others left over had trickled out, so he looked to the door, It seems dark, and I don't think we'll be getting a room here, I'll head out and ask around for an Inn. Looking about, it seems the best bet would be the guards, though if that didn't work he could ask the children. So beautiful was the sight of children playing.

Gather Information: #thatinn
Will pay a small amount for info. determined upon getting the info.
[roll0]

Macros
2013-03-09, 03:56 PM
Still carefully checking his hand - and pleasantly surprised to find it entirely undamaged - Rowan commented offhandedly "I'm not sure of what those talks of belongings, protections and breaking stuff are about - though I do not doubt you to be good at it - but to answer your question" he turned toward Belisarius " we have nothing really planned right now, though my friend and I occasionaly partake in exploring unknown ruins and the like. You'd certainly be a welcome addition."

Watching on the outside, he added "For the time being, I'm more concerned about finding a place to sleep. But Fennel seems to be taking care of it."

Saskia
2013-03-09, 04:24 PM
Peregrine looks at Rowan, annoyed, and says Hush, you just don't know yet how badly you want my services. You're under my protection, you belong to me. Ask Leandris.

Turning back back to Belisarius her grin returns and she says Strong, scary, and diplomatic. I think we can work something out. Her grin broadens, showing a bit of her violent teeth: sharp, stout, and polished white. Holding her hand out to the bestial man she says Peregrine. And you are?

She hasn't discharged her nonlethal shocking grasp yet. [roll0] nonlethal if he takes her hand.

Macros
2013-03-09, 04:30 PM
Rowan was definitly getting confused.

"Err... who is this Leandris ?"

Saskia
2013-03-09, 04:43 PM
Peregrine drags her eyes back and stares blankly at Rowan for a moment, realizing she wasn't talking to who she thought she was talking to. I assumed you knew him, too. My mistake.

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-09, 04:59 PM
I'll admit that I am quite anxious to get out of here... I assumed the city would be more accommodating.

Seeing Peregrine's violent grin, Belisarius can't help but grin himself.
Well, aren't you full of surprises! The name's Belisarius

Returning the favor, Belisarius heartily grabs this increasing intriguing woman's hand, and shakes it.

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-09, 05:13 PM
Where we are right now -
I take a two hhour nap, you guys...:roach:

So, just so we're all clear, I'm going to smooth things out a bit here.

Belisarius - At this point, you have been introduced to everyone, and Peregrine is flirting with you.

Rowan - you are confused by Peregrines flirting with Bel, and hoping Fennel finds a room.

Leandris - You are asking the children where to find a room.

Fennel - you are also asking the children where to find a room. I'm going to assume that you and Leandris are doing this together, so as to make things simpler.

Ruwar - You are sitting somewhere, presumably awaiting your lost GI check. Sorry! One second.

Pere - You... seem awefully determined to zap this unfortunate cow. Why? Have you noticed that his health is double yours, and failing that, that his strength of 30 means that he could absolutely crush your skull? Regardless, have fun with that.

Ruwar's GI Check
From the townsfolk who are finishing the last dregs of their beers, you don't glean a lot of information. Most of them are not eager to stick around, but it doesn't seem to be the tauren that they're worried about.

As the last man leaves, he mutters something about a "damn young fool, always interfereing in the buisness of travellers. Going to get himself killed, running his mouth against a skull-crusher like that."

Lelandris and Fennel's Room Search

Lelandris:
The guards are happy to talk to you. When they here you are companioned by a minotaur, they don't even falter in recomending The Harversow, a inn a few streets away. However, as you talk, one of the guards makes a hasty excuse to go talk to Fennel, who has just come outside to ask the kids.

Fennel:
The children are hesitant to let you approach after dark. Upon seeing a man pestering children after dark, one of the two town guardmen approaches.

"Excuse me, sir, what do you think you're doing?"

Everybody Else
Is currently introduced, right?

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 05:24 PM
Leandris is asking the guards, not the children.

Yas392
2013-03-09, 05:27 PM
Ruwar, finishes the leftover drinks, flinging it blindly, the liquid sloshing the floor.

"Ah ha, he is a grouch after all. Hmm, what shall I name his song?"

Her hand is icthing to play her instrument. She begins to fiddle with it, giggling as she plays to the impending fall, sprinting as her song begins to take shape. It is a very daunting tune, conveying a warning to the people of Fidel.

Night time already. Seems like time runs by really quick when you are having fun. Nap time..

She sees a group of people heading outside the bar. OOooo, Gaga is with Moo moo. So cuteeeee. And there's stone-face, music buddy and pick axe.

supernerd
2013-03-09, 05:28 PM
Fennel was only asking the kids if the guards were comparable to the orifice for the excretion of fecal matter.

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-09, 05:30 PM
Um... what?

and, Lel, fixed.

Saskia
2013-03-09, 05:43 PM
Having remembered only too late that her spell remained undischarged, color drains from Peregrine's face.

I'm so sorry, she says weakly. I forgot about... Looking somewhat scared, she says with a strained smile At least you're tough, that's actually really a good thing...

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-09, 05:54 PM
As Belisarius' hand touched Peregrine's, he felt a release of electrical arcane energy.

He instinctively pushes away Peregrine as his muscles move on their own accord. Hand clutched, he was already drawing his falchion when Peregrine apologised.

Relaxing from his combat stance, Well we certainly got the sparks a-flying Belisarius grins. Now I know I like you

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 06:02 PM
Leandris thanks the guard and walks back to the bar.

"Hey Peregrine, I found an Inn that will take us. Even the Minotaur if he wants. It's called The Harversow and its just a few streets down."

Saskia
2013-03-09, 06:53 PM
Obviously somewhat relieved, but still apprehensive as blood rushes back to her face. With a nervous giggle and slightly trembling, Peregrine says to Belisarius Thanks, I... Sorry. Looking quickly around she adds Are you okay? Breathing fine? Do you need something for the burn?

When Leandris comes back in, she looks at him and says Great, maybe they'll have something for a burn, too. Come on, Bel, let's go. Gathering her pack and her great sword, she walks quickly and stiffly out.

Yas392
2013-03-09, 06:53 PM
"Aren't you two a darling."

Ruwar's face came between their space. She is still sustaining her music but at the sign of romance, switching it to match the mood.

"Short time and you're already mating each other, meoowwwww."

Her breathing is aroused with delight.

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-09, 07:07 PM
The hand is fine Belisarius grunted while opening and clenching his fist for a few times.

Turning to Ruwar I think you need to calm down....anyway, as Peregrine said, we best be moving

Signalling to Rowan, Belisarius follows Peregrine and Leandris' lead and heads outside.

Yas392
2013-03-09, 07:17 PM
"Okie."

She trails the half-minotaur, catching up to him. Her mood lightens, to a managable level where she's no longer hyperactive.

Macros
2013-03-09, 07:22 PM
The scholar watched the common room emtying itself, quite bemused by the recent developments. Muttering something about giving arcane spells to people with the memory of a goldfish, he exited the tavern, following this improvised group. He still needed to check if Fennel had any luck on his endeavor though. He had not make one step outside that an owl immediatly landed on his shoulder.

Hey, didja make any friends ? Those blokes are kinda funny.

Rowan repositioned himself to make his familiar more confortable.

Well, they are quite a lively lot, I'll give you that.
Hey, hey, I know ! Since you're lookin' fer an inn, and they're lookin' fer an inn, that means you're gonna stick to them, right ? Right ? Will they come the next time you go on dark underground place-thingy ?

The wizard gave his companion a strange look. Sometimes, Cael's thought took a strange turn.

No, I don't think that's how it works.
Why are you lookin' fer an inn anyway, uh ? Last time I checked, your house was in this city, true ?
It's complicated.
Oh, I know, I know ! It's the family, right ? What, ya scarred ?
... Shut up. Go check for Fennel instead.

Sometimes, Rowan really wondered which god he offended to have his familiar being such a pain.

supernerd
2013-03-09, 07:32 PM
Fennel sighed as the Guards came up to him, Emanating his Daylight. Now, Now! What on Terra is so wrong with asking children where to find an inn in not quite broad Daylight. Just because I like men doesn't make me a pedophile, show some sense. He sparkled as he talked, as his grandfather was Half Battle Dragon/Half Nymph. He handed three gold pieces to one of the children, break this however you want. It shouldn't be too hard to break them in half if you need to. He hoped Rowan had found a room for the two of them.

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-09, 07:48 PM
The guard looks offended. "Now, I said nothing about any of all that! But it's my job to make sure that no one's stealing these kids off the street, and I'd thank you to keep a civil toungue in you're head while adressing a Proverst's guard, or you may find yourself cooling off in jail overnight!"

He takes a step forward, moving his hand to the pommel of his sword. "Now, what'd be your business with these young ones?"

supernerd
2013-03-09, 08:46 PM
The guard looks offended. "Now, I said nothing about any of all that! But it's my job to make sure that no one's stealing these kids off the street, and I'd thank you to keep a civil toungue in you're head while adressing a Proverst's guard, or you may find yourself cooling off in jail overnight!"

He takes a step forward, moving his hand to the pommel of his sword. "Now, what'd be your business with these young ones?"

They'd be the only sociable looking locals, and I was asking where the inn is. Is that so bad? Me and my friend are new in town and we need a room. I'm sorry for your trouble, here whenever you get off duty, have some whiskey on me. He says giving then four silver each. He didn't want any trouble. Now do you know of any place? Oh, And
I'd like to play the children a song before it gets too dark. He pulls out his Ocarina and sits down.

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-09, 08:58 PM
"I'd advise you to move along now, sir. Come back and play for them tommorrow, if your intentions are good." The guard bends over to grab your shoulder, but as he does...

A massive explosion rips through the back of the tavern you had all previously occupied.

"Holy -" The man pushes you flat to the ground, and begins blowwing madly on a silver whistle. His companion rushes over and begins to herd the crying children away from the blaze.

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 09:04 PM
Leandris jumps and spins, facing the tavern. "What in the world was that?"

supernerd
2013-03-09, 09:36 PM
Why yes I am, now get off! He wrestles his way out from under the guard and stands up, You take care of the children, make sure they stay safe. Meanwhile it looks like there's business to attend to. ROWAN, IT'S GO TIME! He calls to his Wizard companion. He runs towards the tavern. If there was any a time for brash action...

Yas392
2013-03-09, 09:37 PM
Ekkk, what is that?

Her romantic overture is broken by that occurence.

She rushes towards the scene.

"Cmon, mister, we have to help."

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-09, 09:55 PM
The HELL?!? drawing his sword, Belisarius senses danger and instinctively meditated to become psionically focused

[roll0]
Once focused, he hurries towards the burning remains of the tavern.

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-09, 10:26 PM
Looking towards the building, you can see that the entire inside has just been annialated. The building is already nearly consumed by the conflagiration, and even the two guardsmen seem content to let it burn.

When you approach, one of the men calls out to you, "Wait! Stay back!"

Jogging over, he tells you that there's nothing worth going into the blaze over - anyone inside is either going to be fine, or is already dead.

"What are your names and where are you staying?" He finally requests. "We will be in touch with you within the week; as the last people present we'll need to question each of you."

supernerd
2013-03-09, 10:32 PM
Dammit! Ah well, I'm known by Fennel. I haven't answered to my first name for quite some time. I actually don't know where I'm staying.

Shinovar
2013-03-09, 10:35 PM
Leandris. I haven't booked a room yet, but I was headed to the Haversow to see if any were available.

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-09, 10:55 PM
Belisarius Sand. I'll be at the Haversow as well.

Yas392
2013-03-09, 10:58 PM
"You can call me Ruwar, dear. As for accomodation, it would be appreciated if you provide this poor kitten one."

The abrupt silence suddenly springs to life, resurging a new score as she beams charmingly to the guards.

"But otherwise, I would be going to the same inn as them"

She gestures to the group, resuming her music.

Macros
2013-03-10, 03:16 AM
Still looking at the annihilated building, the wizard answered the guard's query, while trying to reconfort a suddenly quite scarred - and very silent - familiar.

" Rowan Emerich. I did not yet decide were I was going to stay, but I suppose you'll be able to find me at the same inn - provided there is any room available and that my friend here is willing " he said while looking at Fennel, before looking back at the place of the disaster.

" Shouldn't something be done with this fire ? The last thing we need is a full-on conflagration... "

Was it magic ? The question could not leave Rowan's mind. He focused on the scene, trying to watch for any sign that might help him understand the cause of the explosion. Maybe there still was some residual effect that could be identified...

Spellcraft check : [roll0]

Saskia
2013-03-10, 05:59 AM
Feeling the explosion and seeing the blaze, Peregrine casts a spell and runs back into the building without a word. Even if the tavernmaster was dead, it would not do to let his body burn.

Using resist energy [fire], kicking in the door the barman went through, and recovering him or his body (if it's recoverable). Shouldn't be too dangerous since most fires like this would deal at most 2d6 damage per round, for a maximum of 2 damage on the worst round possible, and she has dimension hop if things get too dicey.

supernerd
2013-03-10, 07:00 AM
Fennel looked to Rowan. Let's get going. There's no use in looking into this more as it is. We'll help in any way we can, and we'll be at the inn then. It was a rare sight to see Fennel even close to dejected, but he'd fallen short tonight, and that was unacceptable. He walked off in the direction of the inn, dismissing his Daylight, the scene once again shrouded in the darkness of night.

So, later I'm so using daylight on my face, then pulling my cloak over my head to use my face as a flashlight.

Shinovar
2013-03-10, 09:56 AM
Not again, thought Leandris, as he watched Peregrine run into the blazing building. She is always playing the hero fool. The guards told us there would be no point.

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-10, 03:04 PM
As Peregrin runs towards the door, the female guard makes a gesture with his hand, and calls out "Halt!"

The other guard charges foward and attempts to tackle you and drag you back.

"We have a mage squad on the way!" He shouts at you. Then "I'm sorry for your loss... but that place is just gone. You won't be able to save anyone."

Returning to the group, he asks, "Before I let you all go, is there anyone you saw here earlier who could have caused this?"

supernerd
2013-03-10, 03:23 PM
I'm blaming that Tonks guy. Whoever he was, he was mad, and on top of that, incredibly powerful. He broke free of a Bardsong, and it wasn't one of those chance triumphs, I could tell. And it was one of my better performances, too, so he either has spent his life gathering willpower and insight of the universe, or has plenty of power to spare after killing a dragon with his bare hands. He remembered legends of people like this, only the world had been fortunate enough that they were either heroes, content, or put in check. Ir was an unnerving experience, meeting this man, and he'd be playing plenty of lullabies before bed tonight.

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-10, 03:23 PM
Belisarius couldn't help but smirk a little at the sight of a guard trying to tackle Peregrine.

Turning to the guard, I was in the tavern before. The human male that Fennel here described, didn't take kindly to me being there and caused a scene. I don't want to point any fingers, but if you ask me, his leaving the tavern and the it ending up as a pile of flaming ruins a few moments later is not a coincidence signaling to Peregrine I think she may know more

Macros
2013-03-10, 03:28 PM
So nothing on the spellcraft check ? Not entirely unexpected, I suppose.

Rowan considered Belisarius words.

" Well, a tavern patron leaving his establishment with such haste, and giving free reign on it to a bunch of strangers is highly unusual. Now, that's hardly a definite proof, but one could consider that course of action... suspicious. "

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-10, 03:40 PM
His brow furrowed in equal measures frustration and thought, Belisarius tentatively comments What my acquaintence here says does make sense...No sane man will leave their best wares to a half-full tavern...maybe there's a tie between him and this Tonks man?, continuing with more certainty in his voice Whatever the case, there must be something we can do?

supernerd
2013-03-10, 03:41 PM
Or at least fearful. He grew even more uneasy, thinking, what on Terra is going on here? This man's story was sure to be an interesting one, but with all the worries and thoughts whirling around, he needed something to calm him down. He pulled out his ocarina, harmonizing to the Catfolk's gentle strumming.

Saskia
2013-03-10, 03:43 PM
Piss on your magi! Peregrine shouts furiously. I'm here now! Get off me or I will drag your soul to Baator myself! she screams, struggling against the guard holding her down. You and that whoremongering Tonks prick!

Yas392
2013-03-10, 04:01 PM
"Nyaaa, maybe Beru here has blew his plans to smithereens and it has to do with that explosion?" Ruwar added to the pool of possibilities. "Or maybe the one behind this might be the one serving us before. He might in allegiance with him?"

She spied Peregrin being grappled.

Uh, oh, Gaga's in trouble. Woman needs to hold her horses, hehe.

Then, a glint came to her eyes. Ruwar changes her melody to a slow melody to calm the tension.

Performance (To sway attitude of all the guards) - [roll1]

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-10, 06:03 PM
Ruwar:
The spell seems to calm the guards a bit, but they are still restraining Pere. Note that the guards are attempting to protect her from jumping into the fire, not actually being angry at her. They think that she is doing something crazy.

Your spell does prevent them from getting upset at her shouts, though... However -

"Well, I'd thank you not to piss on me, but the honesty is appreciated. Hold Person. Hello, Guardsman Balor, Guardswoman Omman."

Pere only:
I rolled the Hold Person, and it suceeded. PM me if you need to know more, I don't want to post numbers for it, as that'd give you TMI about the caster. Rest assured that it worked.

Turning to see the speaker, you can see that it is a pale-skinned woman, dressed all in the blue and black of the Tell's Howe Watch. She has long hair and her eyes and fingertips spark slightly with the flare of repressed magic.

Turning to the fire, she speaks strange words in an incomprehenseble language. The sylables hiss and crack from her like water on a hot griddle.

Rowan only:
Cease, flames, and be mastered!

From the fire a figure emerges, 10 feet tall, and wrot of flames. It lets loose a stream of snarls and hisses.

Rowan only:
I have a master: It is not you!

The sorceress contemplates this for a moment. Then burn yourself out!

The figure snarls at the sorceress's response, then vanishes. She makes an arcane gesture, then mutters a single word. The flames rise in a tower, burning hotter and brighter, and then in a second extinguish themselves.

Where the tavern once was, there is now a smoldering crater. A few small pockets of fire remain, but the buildings on either side are completely unharmed.

The sorceress then turns her attention to the group. "Now, what is going on here?"

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-10, 06:12 PM
With caution (and carefully as not to offend), Belisarius approaches this sorcerss With respect, I would like to know what happened here as well? Is this the norm in Tell's Howe! One moment I was chased out of [a tavern because of bigotry, the next the verysame tavern explodes in a fireball? By this point Belisarius' exasperation had overcome all attempts at politeness....attempting to compose himself, the half-minotaur says with clear diction If it pleases you, I think we would appreciate it if you release our acquantence from your spell

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-10, 06:29 PM
"Tell her to keep a civil tounge in her mouth when she speaks to my guardsmen." She snaps her fingers, and the spell fades.

"My name is Naii. I am the vice-captain of the Guard in Tell's Howe. And no, an explosion like this is not typical; but there are lots of reasons it could occur. None of which, I might add, are the concern of a group of foreigners, unless you have some evidence as to what caused this. Go home. Tomorrow, we'll send a guardsman to talk to you."

Rowan only:
Rowan would know the name, if not the face, having lived in Tell's Howe before.

Naii is renown in the city as the woman in charge of the mages of the Guard. The captain of the guard, Liir, is also her mate. She is a powerfull sorceress, and a veteran of the Children's War. It is rumored that only her love of her home city prevented her and Liir from leaving with the Arranclancy.

She is rumored to be the daughter of a dragon/elf romance, but it would be ill advised to bring the matter up with her, as she can be touchy about it.

Macros
2013-03-10, 07:42 PM
Rowan frowned, but hold his tongue. He had met with too many spellcasters with this kind of attitude, flaunting their magic to the face of the world when mere words where sufficient. Though he supposed that the tiefling had been rather agitated... and a bit rude. But at least, she meant well. Naii, on the other hand, did not improve is preconcieved image of those so-called war heroes.

As if anything in war is remotely heroic.

But his irritation was tempered by his curiosity. This... thing had been some kind of fire elemental, the language did not leave any doubt on the matter. Was that thing summoned ? It meant that a powerful magic was at works here. This... this was out of his usual field of expertise. But he did not intend to give up on the matter. He turned toward the rest of the group.

"We're not needed" nor welcomed, he thought "here apparently, I think it would be best to find a quiet place to talk about the recents... events."

Saskia
2013-03-10, 08:15 PM
I'll keep a civil tone when your guardsmen aren't telling me to leave your people to die! Peregrine says, pulling herself to her feet. Criminalize compassion, whinge when people take offense, and call me uncivilized. Typical ****ing barbarian. she says, shaking her head as she wanders off to find somebody and show them the coin for directions to the advised inn. If nothing else she might stumble upon it later, and she was hardly interested in giving the bitchy spellcaster the grace of her presence.

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-10, 08:26 PM
"Leave someone to die? No one was in there..."

Naii whispers to one of the guards, softly. "You did the right thing, Balor, Omman. Take the rest of the night off. I'll see you in the morning - I'm going to stick around here."

Turning to the rest of the group, she says, "You lot had best be off. If someone tries to stop you for curfew, tell them you have temporary clearence from Naii Ushetadama. Be off with you, now; the Guard will be in touch."

As she turns back to the building, she has one more comment. "And put a leash on that savage."

supernerd
2013-03-10, 08:41 PM
Fennel looked at the two affronting each other, When you leash up someone capable of thought, who are you to decide who is savage? So much hate this world breeds for itself, I only hope that time will mend. done with his inner cynic, he followed Rowan to the Inn, then noted the other bard for the first time officially, You know, kitten? I think we'll get plenty well along. cheering himself up with a tune.

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-10, 08:45 PM
With a heavy sigh, Belisarius turned from the sorceress and followed the rest of the group I know that Fennel's just being cynical, but what if this is all that we're going to get in this new world of ours... trying to shake the thought from his head, he cheerfully remarks Perhaps this inn will stay intact long enough for a proper drink

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-10, 08:58 PM
FYI, by savage, I was referring to Pere, not Bele.

Good, I just wanted to make sure.

The city has begun to get dark. To one side, the scattered light from the remaining fires continues to burn.

As you walk down the streets, following Guardswoman Omman's directions to the Haversow, you see no other people. However, when you arrive at the inn, it is warmly lit, and you hear laughter and music inside.

You are standing outside the Haversow. What do you guys want to do?

supernerd
2013-03-10, 09:34 PM
FYI, by savage, I was referring to Pere, not Bele.

FYI That's what I was referring to. She is calling her a savage while suggesting a savage practice. I think a triggered cynic/goth statement is warranted.

Yas392
2013-03-10, 09:51 PM
Eiiya.

She spurs into slick tarantella choreography on the way to the inn, synergizing with her vibrations.

She heard the remark of the other bard but she's not paying attention. The graceful feline continues what she's doing, in a world of her own. If inattentive, one expects nothing. The ears have to be capable catch the owner's feelings in the drift. The bard that she labeled "music buddy", judging by her current volume, would know that she's happy with just about anything.

Macros
2013-03-11, 03:49 AM
Hey, is that the Inn ? Is it gonna be on fire, too ?
I certainly hope it does not. Wait for me outside.

Rowan watched his familiar fly away to a nearby roof, before turning toward the Inn. After a short moment of hesitation, he pushed the door open, gesturing to the others to follow him. Judging by the sound of it, the place seemed cheerful enough, he simply hoped their arrival wouldn't change that.

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-11, 04:10 AM
Following the mage's lead, Belisarius hunched down to maneuver his bulk through the door all the while absentmindedly muttering Here's to a better reception...

Saskia
2013-03-11, 04:31 AM
I wouldn't worry too much, Bel, Peregrine says, patting him on the back following him through the door. That redhead said we shouldn't have trouble here.

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-11, 05:20 AM
Upon entering the inn, you are greeted with a much wider variety of humanoids that you encountered at the last. Most notable is a massive white Dragonkin who sits at the bar, wings loosely furled, with his tail curled around the barstool. He is talking to a Tiefling and a Drow, both of whom seem to be arguing with each other. On the other side of the room, three devils sit playing cards with a blushing Assamiir, and next to them sits a group of Gnolls, their long spears leaning against the wall. A trio of Rakaasha sits in a booth, swilling what looks to be some kind of thick, mollassis-like rum. In the next, three Lizardfolk and a drow talk exitedly with what appears to be some kind of spider-woman.

At the booth sits the redheaded girl from the first tavern. When you walk in, she turns, sees you, and waves you up to the bar.

supernerd
2013-03-11, 07:34 AM
Fennel sighed at the other bard, lost in her own world, and set to his harmonies. The kitten would be a wonderful comrade should she ever be open to conversation. He entered the inn, looking around at what seemed to be a plethora of those seen as denizens to the Paladins of the celestials. Such a crowd will make for and excellent story. Upon seeing the red haired woman, Fennel looks a bit bepuzzled. Curiouser and curiouser. walking over to the woman, putting his ocarina to his side, he spoke with a flourish Ah, M'lady! What a wonderful evening, I presume this is your inn?

she's a succubus. I'm calling it now.

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-11, 07:38 AM
... That's not Nessa. Nessa is the girl who was with Tonks.

Macros
2013-03-11, 08:38 AM
Actualy did we even heard the name "Nessa" ? I only remember it in the characters description on the OOC topic (and made me automatically think of the cow in Baldur's Gate ^^).

Well, Rowan did not expect that. He knew that this city had quite a diverse population, but this... this was something else, all right. He couldn't help but feel that if he had more knowledge about planar creatures, he would feel much less confortable. For now, he would have to trust their hostess on her ability to maintain order.

" This is quite an impressive place you have here, miss... ? "

supernerd
2013-03-11, 09:20 AM
... That's not Nessa. Nessa is the girl who was with Tonks.

what on earth are you talking about? >.>

Shinovar
2013-03-11, 09:59 AM
After the sorceress sends the group packing, Leandris follows for a time. After they have walked a little, Leandris meets Peregrine's eyes and nods, then disappears into the shadows.

Leandris uses Shadow Jaunt to teleport away. Leandris is now in full on sneak mode.

Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]
Leandris also has concealment as long as he moves from Child of Shadows stance.

Leandris then doubles back to the burned out inn and attempts to watch/listen to the sorceress and her guards from afar.

He will not be breaking any laws that he knows of. He will just be trying to stay undetected on the street in view of the scene of recent destruction.

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-11, 01:32 PM
"Haha! I knew that you guy'sd be along eventually. Welcome to the Haversow! I'm not the owner, though, just helping out a friend. Keep things peaceful, you hear?" She smiles at you guys jokingly, but her eyes are watching you calculatingly.

She grins and gestures at another woman, a tall, dark-skinned woman with an elaborate set of braids, who comes over. " Laakim, a round for my friends, on my tab, please."

The taller woman nods, and hustles off to get the beers.

"So, what're your names? I don't think we've introduced ourselves yet. The name's 'Shaada, by the way."

Lelandris only:
The two guards leave shortly after your group. The mage remains, searching the area using various complex spells, presumably to detect magical traces. She carefully examines the nearby houses, then utters the word "Raavakos".

Blue symbols appear in the air in a rough sillohetto to a houses frame. They are dim in places. She repeates the words twice more; the runes that appear on the adjacent buildings are a consistant, brilliant blue.

When she is done surveying this magic frame, she waves her hands and the runes dissapear. She then turns to you, and speaks. "Seen anything interesting?"

Roll for Hide - 18+17+15 = 50
Roll for Spot - 12+39+5 = 56

You are still concealed, but Naii is aware of your location. Moving from location to location will not make her loose track of you, but a sucessful Shadow Jaunt will.

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-11, 01:58 PM
Chest slightly puffed out as if trying to impresss this stranger, Belisarius' voice takes on an almost courtly cadence I am Belisarius Sand gesturing to his companions, the half-minotaur continues and this is Rowan, Fennel, Ruwar, and Peregrine.

His eyes darting around the room Shaada, if I may be blunt, how can someplace as diverse as this exist in the same city as the tavern we were in? at the word 'diverse', even the most casual of listeners can detect the change in his voice. It sounded somehow, softer. Belisarius would dare not admit it, but he sounded almost...hopeful.

Shinovar
2013-03-11, 02:10 PM
Leandris is surprised at being seen, but not unduly so. She is a powerful sorceress after all. Swallowing fear and apprehension, Leandris says confidently "Yes actually. Do those help you to determine what caused the fire?"

Leandris tells himself that playing it confident is the right move here. He isn't actually doing anything wrong. There are no laws he knows of against not wanting to be seen. Hopefully Naii sees it the same way.

Saskia
2013-03-11, 02:41 PM
Nice to meet you, Shaada! Peregrine says happily as she takes a seat at her table, dragging a hand across Bel's back as she does. And you haven't got look at me like that, she adds grinning, I only steal from people who treat my friends badly.

Looking around as Belisarius speaks, she nods to him and adds Yeah, doesn't look like you treat anyone bad, I've never seen a rakshasa not ripping some poor sod's lungs out. That is a happy customer!

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-11, 03:10 PM
"Hmm? Oh... Not everyone in the city is as hateful as Tonks. Laakim over there?" She nods toward the woman. "She's a well known face in the city. Has some close friends who are 'monsters'. She wanted at least one place folks could meet peacefully, and so she made one. Noone in the city is willing to cross her, and she's powerful enough to enforce peoples behavior in here - even the Rakshasa."

She nods at the assembled crowd. "We all find safety here, and repay it in kind."

Naii looks at you with a grin. "Flutter your way back into the visible spectrum and I'll see if I can't find some use for you."

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-11, 03:28 PM
Belisarius jumped slightly at the sensation of Peregrine's hand on his back - he half expected to be shocked by yet another spell. It was quite the relief that his back remains burn-free.

I don't suppose you have lodgings for the night? Recalling the coin that Shaada had previously given to Peregrine, Belisarius places one of his massive hand on the latter's shoulder I know we just met, but I recall you were talking to Peregrine here - what exactly is the meaning behind the coin you gave her?

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-11, 03:41 PM
"My Baezel? It's just a symbol I use." She produces one from her pockets. "It means you have my permission to be looking for me. Without one, no one would help you find me. A little... insurance. Not everyone is a fan." She gives him a wink.

"I'll get you guys set up with a room, sure. The building next door is part of the inn, so we've got plenty of room."

"So, did old man Ekler ever come back? Tonks seemed to really freak him out - he can be pissy, but he's usually not dangerous."

Shinovar
2013-03-11, 03:43 PM
Leandris steps out of concealment towards Naii. "What sort of use do you mean?"

Macros
2013-03-11, 03:56 PM
Rowan wasn't too sure how to break the news.

"Well, there was an... incident. The Inn kind of burned down. " he finished with an embarrassed smile. " I wanted to discuss this occurence with the present company. "

supernerd
2013-03-11, 04:11 PM
Fennel sighed at the mention of selective clientele and forced civility, hoping it would hold. What a truly marvelous place this is. I'm glad something like this can exist. Oh, an it seemed the fire was a fire elemental, though not one that was summoned. Now if you'll excuse me, Rowan, I'll be off for a bit. Oh, and miss, how are the patrons to the ocarina, I've had some time since my last tavern performance.

Hoping he could perform for the crowd, such a hopeful place filled him with joy. He looked about the crowd, trying to find one who shared his preference in affections, the armistice of the inn a perfect place to see what the presumed denizens of society had to offer.

So, this stereotype will be enforced, but only a little bit. At least he doesn't have a lisp, oh gods that would be unbearable!
Sense Motive for gaydar:
[roll0]
DC10 for general, oppose bluff only if they are hiding it.

Yas392
2013-03-11, 04:21 PM
Ruwar opens one eye. Naii, Nessa, Tonks, Shaada, Balor, Omman, previous barkeep, Laakim, Ekler. Those names, her company, differing mileage, seems to be wary about them or recently added to their list of "concern." Maintaining her ongoing guise, her song, she tries to discern whether she truly know anything of relevance about them.

Bardic Knowledge (Naii) - [roll0]
Bardic Knowledge (Tonks) - [roll1]
Bardic Knowledge (Nessa) - [roll2]
Bardic Knowledge (Omman) - [roll3]
Bardic Knowledge (Shaada) - [roll4]
Bardic Knowledge (Balor) - [roll5]
Bardic Knowledge (Ekler) - [roll6]
Bardic Knowledge (Previous Barkeep) - [roll7]
Bardic Knowledge (Laakim) - [roll8]

supernerd
2013-03-11, 04:29 PM
and a reiterive.
Same order.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

Saskia
2013-03-11, 04:39 PM
Yeah, and apparently running into a burning building to save a bartender's life when the guards won't risk their sorry asses is a crime. Leaning back in her chair, she adds, Makes you a savage, apparently, she adds with a grin. Your town is run by a bunch of idiots. Oh, that barman is also probably dead, thanks to the illustrious, uh, hell what was her name? Mia?

Macros
2013-03-11, 04:56 PM
"Naii" answered Rowan absentmindedly. " And unfortunately, I think stupidity is not an exclusivity of this town. How else would you explain a thousand years of... ah, no matter." He sounded almost dejected, before schooling his face to a more neutral expression and turning toward Peregrine.

" What led you here, anyway ? You don't seem that fond of this place... not that I blame you. "

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-11, 05:24 PM
"WHAT?" Her shout draws the attention of many in the bar. She lowers her voice. "But, I mean... seriously? Someone blew up Ekler's?"

She bekons over Laakim, and they whisper in a language none of you understand.

Then she turns to Pere. "That was probably for the best. A fire strong enough to break the firewards in the city... and with an elemental besides? You would have been killed. Besides, would you even know where to find him, if he were in the building? So who did they call to handle it?"

Leandris only:
"Now, these Glyphs are the city's fireward. Each building has them; they protect buildings from catching on fire and prevent it from spreading. Here," she gestures to the darkened spot, "Is a corruption. Someone unwound the magic."

She looks at Leadris. "Unfortunately, I cannot unwind them and search for tampering at the same time. I need someone else to hold them. If you would be amicable?"

Ruwar only:
Naii:
Naii is renown in the city as the woman in charge of the mages of the Guard. The captain of the guard, Liir, is also her mate. She is a powerfull sorceress, and a veteran of the Children's War. It is rumored that only her love of her home city prevented her and Liir from leaving with the Arranclancy.

She is rumored to be the daughter of a dragon/elf romance, but it would be ill advised to bring the matter up with her, as she can be touchy about it.

Nessa:
You know nothing about her - She is a black haired woman who was seen with Tonks.

Tonks:
A racist *******. He is supposedly a drug dealer, smuggler, and all around criminal. The name is vaguely familiar, but not as if you have a lot of knowledge of it.

Shaada:
A redhead from the first bat, the Bat's Talon. She's wellknown in Tell's Howe, apparently, but you've never heard of her. She appears to be a 17 year old human.

Balor & Omman:
A pair of town guards. They seem competant, if a bit rigid. The pair are somewhat well know for their investigation into a series of warehouse robberies a few years back.

Laakim:
The bartender at the Haversow. She seems nice enough. Apparently, she's well known. You've heard about her - she's not particularly popular amongst the upper class, but she's well liked amongst the undercityfolk.

Ekler:
Owner of a bar called the Bat's Talon. You know nothing else about him.

Fennel only:
I'd prefer to avoid steriotypes about gays, being as I, myself am gay.

Also, I'd make it DC 15 for creatures without human emotions or faces (like Rakshasa) and DC 20 for inhuman outsiders and monsters without human form (like purebreed elementals or dragons).

Shinovar
2013-03-11, 05:36 PM
Leandris is a bit uneasy about testing anything with magic, but its probably safer than angering her.

"How do I hold them? This isn't going to get me blown up or dismembered or anything like that, is it?" He says the last in a joking matter, but is keen to hear her response.

supernerd
2013-03-11, 05:40 PM
Fennel only:
I'd prefer to avoid steriotypes about gays, being as I, myself am gay.

Also, I'd make it DC 15 for creatures without human emotions or faces (like Rakshasa) and DC 20 for inhuman outsiders and monsters without human form (like purebreed elementals or dragons).

Oh, I'm gay too, which is why I wasn't going to rage over it. I was more supporting rather than enforcing, poor choice of words, anyway, I've succeeded with a 23. I was just going to joke around, but you don't need to do that if you don't feel comfortable. It was a reference of how I was making fun of the stereotype from the 70s of gays being pedophiles. I'm sorry if I offended you.

Also, bardic knowledge on those I didn't already use it on?

Saskia
2013-03-11, 05:45 PM
Killed? I don't know, maybe. It's not like I was running in naked. But yeah, place is cinders now. My money's on that ragging bitch Naii, nobody is so casual about a bar being burned down and a barkeeper burning to death inside. She's a killer, but not like I am. I don't trust her.

Peregrine nods back to Rowan. Mostly motionlessly, she says A thousand years of war? Genocide? Hatred? Burning each other to the ground or at the stake? That's a big part of why settled life isn't for me. I tried, just, peoples' barbarism rubs off on me, you know? Good a reason as any to wander. Met a guy who needed somebody to scare off the scary **** and help kill what can't be scared, and he's good about finding ah, lost chaches of gold and valuables, among other income sources. Wasn't my idea to come here, but I'm also not too enthusiastic about living off the land like a wild animal either, so I follow the guy who knows how to make money.

Macros
2013-03-11, 06:13 PM
" The world has barely begun to heal ", the wizard muttered, " and yet so many seem to act like the war is still going on. It's been twenty years, and they are still looking for an enemy to fight. What happened earlier was a blatant demonstration of it. "

He watched from afar the two bards, who were moving among the customers, seemingly without a care in the world.

" Still, it's not all bad. Some seem able to move on. " He turned toward the Tauren. " What about you ? What led you to this place of gloom ? "

Aard_Rinn
Fennel only:
Yeah, I'm not really comfortable with that sort of thing. RPing a gay character is fine, though. I think Ruwar got everyone, though, so you can read the post for his BL check.

"Don't." The word is practically snarled."Don't you dare make insinuations against her, you stupid little child, she has given everything she has ever had for this city - she is a good person who has devoted her life to healing the wounds of the Children's War and I will not hear you speak ill of her!" The last words escape Shaada as a roar.

Around the bar, all eyes focus on the enraged girl and Pere. Hands slip to weapons, but in the background you can see Laakim wave the patrons down commandingly.

Leandris:
"No, it's only a common ward. Just reach up and grab the glyphs, then pull. The magic is made to be manipulable; it should just unfurl."

As the two of you begin to work the energy, she examines it carefully. After you have settled into a even pattern of moving the energy, she begins to question you.

"So, what's the deal withyour friend? The psycho?"

The Bureaucrat
Taking a sip of his beer, Belisarius appears to be lost in thought. Still starring off into the distance, he interrupts Peregrine Naii may very well be a suspect, but we certainly can't rule out Tonks either. However you cut it, there just isn't enough facts for us to come to any meaningful conclusion letting out a sigh Look Peregrine, I admire your passion, but if you jump to conclusions about Naii you're just as bad as Tonks and his comment about me..

Shaada's outburst triggered Belisarius' instincts. Barely stopping himself as he sprung up and clutched his falchion.

SHAADA, I apologies for my companion's words, but based on what she has seen Peregrine has every right to say what she has said and dont you dare tell her how to behave turning to the Tiefling Words. Please use your words carefully

Now can we sit down and enjoy our drinks?

Saskia
2013-03-11, 06:43 PM
Peregrine shakes her head and rolls her eyes, idly digging through her pocket for the coin. Rolling it around in her hand, she says Thanks, Bel. I'll use my words carefully, for you. She takes a deep breath and says You know what I hate about settled towns, Shaada? It's always the "heroes" everybody cares about; the generals and their shining armor can do no wrong. When they die it's a global ****ing tragedy, but the veterans? The gutter snipes sent to actually fight and die for your precious heroes? The little girls used as shock troopers against trained soldiers? Patched up if we survived and thrown right back to the wolves before our wounds heal? Always treated like trash, just like we were during the conflict. They look at girls like me as a reminder of the "bad times". Nobody cares about us, just their sense of peace, that everything's over. If you just want to feel safe, fine. I get it. But don't ****ing lecture me on the "wounds of the war".

Peregrine flicks the coin back at Shaada. Not all of us came out of it whole. Just be grateful you you can feel safe. She stands, nonchalantly kicking her chair aside, and walks casually out the door.

...to find a secluded place away from passersby so she can maintain her dignity crying. Probably a roof across the street or a tree somewhere.

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-11, 06:55 PM
I..look.. the words just can't seen to form in the half-minotaur's mouth sigh Shaada, I sincerely hope we can remain on good terms despite what just transpired - you showed us hospitality, for that I am grateful. But the war is still fresh in our..her mind. Now if you'll excuse me I may just take up your offer and retire for the night.

Macros
2013-03-11, 07:04 PM
Rowan shook his head. The contemplative mood that prevailed had been quick to disappear. He reached Cael through their bond. Follow the tiefling that just went out. Keep her in sight.

"I'll join you in a moment, I just got to make sure that everything is alright." he said to Belisarius, before turning toward Shaada. "I am truly sorry for this."

With that, he moved toward the exit.

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-11, 07:09 PM
"Does she think she's the only one?! Does she honestly have the gall to think that nobody else sacrificed for the war? I lost both my brothers at Sagen Hoch - Look at me!"

She twists the topaz ring off of her finger, disrupting it's glamour. Her arm is made of smooth, cool looking metal; around the stump, the skin is pitted and grey. Her face is disfigured by a deep scar along the cheek. Her voice turns cold and mechanical.

"I remember - everyone here remembers the war. Taking peace for granted? It makes me burn with joy inside to see someone happy, untouched by the war; to see children... Laakim, set them up with a room. I am going out."

She leaves the room, and the tavern, in a swirl of her white cloak.

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-11, 07:15 PM
Belisarius takes a final sip of his beer, catching Rowan before he exited Please look after her...I suspect she's not as strong as she makes herself out to be

Impossibly, his already massive frame, seemed weighed down even more with what just occured.

Yas392
2013-03-11, 07:44 PM
It was commonplace as the summer's leaves turning drenched in autumn. She remembered it. Vague images of guards were scrambling around, jeering those geared for battle. She was still a kit that time. She can't see what was beyond the veil. That's why the confusion was evidence on her features when Scar-face and Gaga emerged from their argument with defeated looks.

Putting a paw on his shoulder as he is led away, she asks.

"Beru, should I get Stone-Face to Gaga too? I think he is the only one that can calm that sourpuss."

supernerd
2013-03-11, 07:48 PM
As Shaada left, Fennel help it, Please forgive her. It would be a shame for more hatred to come of our long fought peace. For what it's worth, it's what I lost that gives me hope. And Rowan, help the girl see reason, she's likely been tormented in her own right. She needs a friend, especially now. Don't worry, Bel, Rowan will be able to do this.

He resumed his song, though this time with a different song, one that resonated through his past. He stood perfectly still, not moving about with the song he and the kitten shared. This one was painful, yet full of heart. The best performances came not in theatrics, but from the artist. When one exposed oneself and bled for the audience.

The actual song is "Sadness and Sorrow" from Naruto, and this is the song he played at his boyfriend's grave just before the end of the war, hence why he's a wanderer and not a war hero. I rather like this song, though I'll be double posting to see how the patrons do.

supernerd
2013-03-11, 07:53 PM
Perform this song.
[roll0]

Macros
2013-03-11, 08:12 PM
Rowan was glad that Fennel seemed to trust him on this. Because at the moment, he wasn't really sure to trust himself. That... situation was quite outside his comfort zone. Well, he had to try anyway.

Repeated hoots guided him toward Peregrine. Sure enough, he found her sitting on the ground under a tree, with his familiar perched on one branch upside her. The scholar hesitated, unsure of what to say, before moving forward and sitting a few feet from her.

“You should not stay here. Everyone's worried.”

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-11, 08:25 PM
The people in the tavern seem unaffected by the song.

Laakim tosses you a set of keys, and a wooden chit with a room number. You can talk to people or go to bed.

Shaada:
After a little while, you come to a small park. It has a few walnut trees, and a small pond. A stone statue of a woman dressed in armor sits over the pond, along with four plaques at the base, one on each side:

I lost my hope at Sagen Hoch,
My friends, they march no more.
I carry back their coffins, now,
Where once I marched to war.

We remember what they gave;
our hopes in armor clad.
The ones who came back on that day,
Were men, no longer lads.

I lost my fear at Issin See,
I saw the gods themselves.
Though all are only bodies here,
It was a worldy hell.

I pray forgivness for my sins;
For those I left behind.
A cost, in lives, it took to win,
And may good men died.

The poem is a well-known one, anonymous, coposed at the end of the war. The statue itself is a war monument; around it's base are coins, bottles of liquor, bolts of cloth, and stone and wood carvings.

Rowan:
Give her a minute to interact, then you will arrive here shortly after.

supernerd
2013-03-11, 08:34 PM
So then... My special song does absolutely nothing? A performance beyond the requirements for interplanar recognition just seems like normal music? Hmph... Tough crowd. I figured that since ten is average, and 20 is the best the average person could ever possibly manage, that 34 and a sudden change from jaunty to mournful would have at least caught some attention.

Saskia
2013-03-11, 08:37 PM
Thank you, she says softly, with an almost childlike quality in her voice. It means a lot just for you to say it. Tell them not to worry. I'll be fine, but I can't be seen like this. Not now. She pulls her legs up tighter against her chest, dropping her head.

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-11, 08:46 PM
I read the boulded number, not the last one, so I thought it was an 11, sorry.

The crowd seems to relax, lost in memories. Laakim begins to tap the same beats on the counter. Several people seem to recognize the words, and a Drowish word begins to sing along in Undercommon.

Keep in mind that many times, unless you have a specific, stated goal, most songs are just music, which people will like or dislike on preference, not just according to rolls. Also, other races, for example the group of Rakshasa, will not be affected by magic due to their own powers, and even civilians may have 2-3 class levels, depending on whether they fought or how old they are.

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-11, 10:11 PM
Ruwar, I think they're both gone now. But thank you for your suggestion anyway Belisarius really did admire the naivety of the catfolk, it must be wonderful to see the best in a world that so often disappointed...

Picking up the key Laakim tossed him, Belisarius retired for the night. Sleeping and waiting were the only thing he could do right now. Peregrine will be fine, Rowan's a smart man...as for Shaada, perhaps we'll find out in due course...

Shinovar
2013-03-11, 11:08 PM
Leandris gets more comfortable as they settle into a rhythm. He is relatively certain that Naii isn't going to just kill or arrest him. You never can tell with mages though. Still, he was more at ease with Naii than he thought he would be.

Her question gives him pause though. Peregrine was....complicated. Naii's question was not a simple one to answer.

"Peregrine. Shes not psycho, shes....passionate. She, like most of us, has been trough a lot. It affects some of us more than others."

After a pause of a few seconds, he decided Naii deserves more. Besides, if she can understand Peregrine, maybe there won't be as much conflict between the two.

"She doesn't necessarily think much of authorities ability, or more truthfully will, to do what needs to be done. We live in a harsh world. I know that hard choices need to be made and there will always be complaints, but Peregrine longs for justice. If she thinks that people are being mistreated, she flings herself at that latest quest, and lo to those that get in her way. Back there, she saw that no one was trying to save whoever might be trapped in that building. When your guards stopped her, but didn't do anything about it themselves, she saw you as callous and perhaps evil."

Leandris turned to meet Naii's eyes. "Look, I know that she can be a handful, but she's got a good heart. She would be much more useful to you as an ally than as an opponent."

Leandris thinks to himself I hope Peregrine appreciates all the bridges I try to unburn for her. He laughs inward to himself Probably not. If she knew how many I tried, she would just resent it. Still, it's for everyone's good.

Macros
2013-03-12, 03:19 AM
"We're in no hurry. Take your time."

With a sigh, he absentmindedly looked at the dark sky.

"I guess I keep forgetting how young many people have been during this war. Many are still grieving... I guess that applies to people like Naii, too." A pause, then "I remember something Fennel told me, once. Do not criticize someone until you walked a mile in his shoes." He offered Peregrine a small smile. "At least then, you'll be one mile away, and you'll have his shoes."

Yas392
2013-03-12, 03:51 AM
Ruwar watches as Beru went into his room. She couldn't let Gaga go on her own, it's good that Pickaxe was sent to help her except that Stone Face is better at connecting. Music buddy is still in his melancholic tune so she shouldn't bother him. Nyaa, so troublesome.She departs to where she last seen the sorceress and her pack of dogs. Stone Face is still there with Mage Piss. She sneaks behind him while he's occupied and whispers into his ears. "Stone Face, Gaga needs backup on the double, meow." Her sudden presence may cause some ruckus going on due to the interruption of the flow. Her guard is up just incase.

Sense Motive (Naii aka Mage Piss) - [roll0]
Sense Motive (Balor aka Bailer) - [roll1]
Sense Motive (Omman aka Rocky) - [roll2]

supernerd
2013-03-12, 05:01 AM
It's okay, that was the d20 roll. I use rollv just for future reference. This will be more obvious when we start finding things things to kill.

Also, ERMEHGERD! Ruwar has acknowledged my character?!

Fennel had put his heart into the song, memories of events, people long ago coursing through his mind. Memories of despair, loss, pain. Memories of love, of hope for peace. The song was just as much a plea as a reminiscence, begging for the grace of never letting this happen again.

He was drained after the song had finished, and subsequently moved to sit down with the nearest friendly batch at the tables. May I sit down, [Sirs/Madams]?

Saskia
2013-03-12, 05:06 PM
Peregrine snorts with a smile. Yeah, my brother used to say that. She sighs heavily and says I'm sorry for freaking out. People like that Tonks bastard and Naii and the sheep that worship them just really get under my skin. I know, Naii and Shaada and basically everybody over the age of nineteen lost a lot, and I know it's me who's the bitch that keeps starting fights.

She really didn't want to say any of this. At least if people thought poorly of her it was in a way that would keep them away--and not a threat. It was so much easier that way, but if somebody was going to go out of his way to treat her like a friend, then he deserved better than a slap in the face. I just, I guess I just have trouble sometimes. Nobody's tried to kill me without going out of my way to put myself in danger in, hell, six years? Seven? but I still always feel on edge, you know? Like every unpleasant look I get could be an attacker if I don't beat them into submission first. She waits for a moment, as if trying to find the proper words before apparently giving up. ****ed up, I know. I'm too aggressive, too... Too much still a soldier, always shooting for the jugular immediately at any slight provocation. Sometimes I don't even know why I perceive a threat. She looks idly toward the street with a slight laugh. That's how I got my nickname, y'know; the peregrine falcon, fastest hunter there is. Kills its prey before it knows it's in danger. Really an impressive animal. She opens her mouth to say something, but it catches briefly before she can get it out. I think I'd rather be an owl, though. Cautious, subtle, precise. Smart enough to avoid predators instead of getting herself into pointless fights. Leaning her head back against the tree, she says finally, Thanks for listening to me piss and moan. I don't deserve it, but I appreciate it.

Macros
2013-03-12, 06:51 PM
At Peregrine's avian analogy, Rowan couldn't hold back a small snort. "Well, I know one particular owl that isn't too bright most of the time." He lifted his head to give his familiar a pointed look, before going back to the tiefling. "And you're not solely to blame for those recent arguments. Naii did not strike me as the most diplomatic person there is. Besides, we did come close to get killed earlier. That would put any one on edge."

For the first time, he wondered if one of them had been the target. It did not make much sense, and yet... He decided to put away that uneasy thought for the moment. He'd need to talk about this with the others.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is... do not sell yourself so shortly. It doesn't seem that life has went easy on you, but you endured. Not anyone can make the same claim." He knew he couldn't. "Anyway, I was thinking... it could be worth our time to try to find what happened in that inn earlier with the others. And, if we do manage to find the culprit before the city guards... well, I think we'd be entitled to gloat a bit about it." He smiled. "Would you care to come back and see what we can do about that?"

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-13, 02:59 AM
Leandris only:
"Justice... I have spent the last 20 years of my life looking for justice. Liir and I... We were both close to Arram. But we chose to stay here, in this city, to rebuild, because we didn't think it was just to hide ourselves away."

The glyphs flow like water through her hands, casting a blue glow over the two of you.

"I was 14 when I first joined the Children's Army; me and Liir. We came from the same hometown; burnt out by the Kerriganna. I wanted to avenge my mother; he came along to protect me.

I remember the first person he killed for me."

She lasps into silence for a moment.

"I was a healer, you know. I only learned arcane magic in the last two years of the war, after the See. I spent 26 years as a healer, saving lives - I never, not once, killed anyone for those 26 years. But I saw so many people die... The worst ones were at the end of the battle, minor injuries, healable ones, but you were out of spells and they slipped between your fingers. Good healers, the very best... we lost a lot of them early on, those who gave the last of their own lives to save just one more... But then you lost a dozen men the next battle with no healer to fix them, and so we learned to control ourselves, even when that meant letting someone we could have saved die."

A splotch of purple fire shakes along the spell now, but Naii pays it no mind.

"There were never enough healers."

The sorceress glances towards you briefly before returning to her work.

"Your friend was a frontlinesman, anyone who's been there could tell. Good people, but they forget themselves. Liir and I, we taught our guards the things we learned. They know that it is there duty to protect who they can - and they know not to get themselves killed for no reason. No one could have survived that explosion. The risk to their lives... a body isn't worth it, especially when they knew that a mage was on the way."

She smiles softly.

"I don't usually talk this much - your friend got under my skin. And... it's nice to work with another caster, for once."

Leandris and Ruwar

The pair work in silence for a while, until: "Stone Face, Gaga needs backup on the double, meow."

Naii recoils, lashing the magic out of Leandris's hands. It furls around her, vanishing as she bares her fangs.

Ruwar only:
You sense that Naii is about thirty seconds from ripping you in half. Her eyes are narrowed, but the way she stands tells you that she is frightened, rather then angered.
Balor and Omman left when you guys did.[/

Fennel
The three Rakshasa nod, and you drag up a seat. The white-maned one grins at you savagely.

"Hello, little mortal. Tell me, what did your little... friend say, to enrage our Shaada so?"

"Now, now, manners." The tigerlike female speaks up. She gestures to the one on the left, the lion, and herself. "Or'eth. Yesuba. Khoe. And yourself, mortal?"

Sense Motive - since I know you'll do one.
The three Rakshasa, while condesending, seem uninterested in your immediate death, which is all one can hope for with the catlike beasts. Surprisingly, their interest in Shaada seems genuine, although you have no way to tell if this is because of concern or just curiosity.

Saskia
2013-03-13, 03:07 AM
Peregrine perks up at the prospect of investigating the occurrence. She hadn't thought of that herself, and felt somewhat stupid for the obvious oversight. Damn straight! Just give me a bit to clear my head.

supernerd
2013-03-13, 08:06 AM
Come now, you told me no standard high-Charisma+inn behavior because I mentioned a stereotype, so I wasn't gonna go there, and I supposed that there was an semi spoken truce within the inn. Though if you're gonna be like that then I need a comprehensive list of tables, individuals, and sexualities, as I never got that result. I didn't need SM where 16Int and personal logic suffice. Also, I didn't roll, so there's nothing to go on.

Fennel smiles, giving a slightly amused look at how he was referred to, Fennel, madam. And I'm not quite mortal, just young. So I guess mortal Could be a proper term. It's nice to meet you Khoe. Well, Yesuba(I assumed mane meant he was the lion), Peregrine spoke rather ill of Naii. It was mostly a misunderstanding. She confuses Naii's guard preventing her from needlessly risking her own life with preventing her from saving a life. But Naii was a healer in the was, where we had to conserve ourselves to be alive the next battle. I wasn't much help there, but I made a nice front line medic with my bard song. Though I came in late.

Peregrine was probably front line, where you had to always give everything. I hope they work things out. It would be a shame for so much blood to lead to the loss of more life. A drawn out explanation for sure, but sometimes motives could help foster empathy.

Shinovar
2013-03-13, 10:09 AM
Leandris listens to Naii's story. Some of it was to be expected, and all of it was useful for understanding Naii. Leandris realizes it will be difficult for Naii and Peregrine to get along. They are just so very different. Still, perhaps they can be kept out of direct conflict.

"I am sorry for your loss. We all had difficult years, but your role was harder than most. I was merely a scout and a spy in the war. No one to worry about but myself. It was lonely, but safer than most jobs, as long as I didn't get caught."

He smiles as she finishes, but grows slightly confused at her last words. "Peregrine seems to be rather good at getting under people's skin. I may have special skills, but I am no cast--"

Leandris jumps back from the surprise, drawing his chain and slipping into his shadow stance before he even processes the words. When he does, Stone face? Gaga?

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-13, 02:26 PM
Fennel & Ruwar:
Sorry for the misunderstanding. You can still do charisma-based stuff in inns, I just want to avoid stuff that has to do with homophobic stereotypes. To wit:

You can bardsong, but unless you state a specific intent with the piece, there will be no magical or serious charisma-based effect. You can tell me that you want to do something with it at any point, and it'll do it.

Any sort of check.

Any magic spell that you can do with bardsong, as long as you keep in mind the potential reactions of other groups.

Sense Motive and Gather Intellegence.

Anything else useful you can think of, and think you could pull off.

A warning to you to, as bards, though - most people in the cities are a simular level to you guys. We're starting at six so we don't have to fight frigging bears, but humanoids are mostly simular enough level to have decent will saves. (2-8, levelwise.) I have a binder full of NPCs with character levels right here, too, so everyone is fully statted.

And I put you at the table with the Rakshaka because it was the nearest friendly table. There is a truce within the inn, albiet one that is enforced by a single woman, and the result you got as far as the Rakshaka is actually quite good - not actively planning your imminent disembowlment or otherwise is really about all you can hope for.

Also, the Rakshaka are going to be the most useful table for you.

Fennel only:
"Ah. How... Unfortunate for your friend. And you, too, a healer in the war? How... tragic?"

The female wears a smirk, but she seems to have lost interest in you. The panther to the left, on the other hand, has focused his attention on you. "You fought in the war? Tell me of it." he asks brusquely.

Macros
2013-03-13, 02:56 PM
"That's the spirit ! I'll go on ahead, then, join us when you want."

With a final nod, Rowan rose up and walked back to the inn, followed by his owl. That went well, better than he hoped, truth be told. He had half-expected Peregrine to shut him out, but his clumsy attempts to get her out of her depression did seem to have an effect. Once back in the common room, he looked for any familiar face, and saw Fennel in a lively conversation with two... what were those things ? He really should learn a bit more about the planes, given more time. Not wanting to interrupt, he settled for giving him a reassuring sign from afar.

supernerd
2013-03-13, 04:43 PM
Responses in bold inside quote:

Fennel & Ruwar:
Sorry for the misunderstanding. You can still do charisma-based stuff in inns, I just want to avoid stuff that has to do with homophobic stereotypes. To wit:

I meant that taking a bedfellow is a standard for just about any character of mine with Cha 14+, it's not because he's gay. It might be because I'm gay, but other than that, no. I mean, even the one straight bard I played(and only because he was from a book I'm writing) was seducing people before the first encounter. As for homophobia, I don't think I can hate myself. And I don't think anyone here hates gays.

You can bardsong, but unless you state a specific intent with the piece, there will be no magical or serious charisma-based effect. You can tell me that you want to do something with it at any point, and it'll do it.

Any sort of check.

Any magic spell that you can do with bardsong, as long as you keep in mind the potential reactions of other groups.

Sense Motive and Gather Intellegence.

Anything else useful you can think of, and think you could pull off.

A warning to you to, as bards, though - most people in the cities are a simular level to you guys. We're starting at six so we don't have to fight frigging bears, but humanoids are mostly simular enough level to have decent will saves. (2-8, levelwise.) I have a binder full of NPCs with character levels right here, too, so everyone is fully statted.

Thanks for this, this is actually pretty useful, I won't be needing to use Bardic Music it seems though. Maybe a little social skill if I need it. So since most adults were soldiers, I'm assuming.

And I put you at the table with the Rakshaka because it was the nearest friendly table. There is a truce within the inn, albiet one that is enforced by a single woman, and the result you got as far as the Rakshaka is actually quite good - not actively planning your imminent disembowlment or otherwise is really about all you can hope for.

Was there something better I could hope for as a CG Aasimar?

Also, the Rakshaka are going to be the most useful table for you.

Hopefully things will go well so I can get some info/a non-enemy.

Fennel only:
"Ah. How... Unfortunate for your friend. And you, too, a healer in the war? How... tragic?"

The female wears a smirk, but she seems to have lost interest in you. The panther to the left, on the other hand, has focused his attention on you. "You fought in the war? Tell me of it." he asks brusquely.

Fennel, almost amused by the panther's short attention span to him, as to be expected. Curiouser, was that the third one seemed intrigued, so he was happy to oblige the curious, albeit blunt panther, Or'eth, was it? Well I guess there's a story there. I wasn't quite a healer. I'm a bard, so with that I chose to learn some healing tricks with my magic. I didn't have too many, mostly for closing the wounds of those we could save and getting them stable for transport, and some front line boosts to stamina. One more wave was all they needed to survive, and so they did. A lot of them didn't make it afterwords though. And I didn't have any skill in healing beyond magic, so I couldn't do anything else except hope my song gave them the power to get the enemy down quickly.

There was so much death, I'm glad I won't age much past what I look like now, but it does mean I'll see many of my friends die. And perhaps all of them. I guess with longevity will come wisdom, and realization of the cycle. But death hit me hard then. Especially since the war was where I met my first love. We protected each other, comforted each other. We'd been lovers for seven months and good friends for two years when he died, just before the end. That's why I'm here and not some royal court. That song I played was our song. He always spoke of peace so sweetly. I carry him with me even as I move on. So the war gave me the pain of seeing things die, and of losing things I hold dear, yet it also gave me my greatest hope.

Oh, gods, what a sad sap that sounded like. It was hard, there was so much death that life seemed a resource after a while, and I wish a major war never comes again. And hopefully the populations will stay down so we don't fight over resources.

Yas392
2013-03-13, 04:51 PM
She immediately backflipped when she saw his weapons out. The fur on her back arched up and her tail wagging dangerously. The wariness was replaced with complacency when Stone Face and Mage Piss were freaked out as if by their own worst nightmare who was a chubby, amicable home groomed cat. "Nyaa, Ruwar no violent, Ruwar no violent. Ruwar civil." She rubs her head against Leanderis and purrs playfully, followed by twirling herself back to her original place.

"Stone face is Stone Face because chatting with Mage Piss over there without conceding and is very calm. Gaga got pissed off by Red Head or Scar Face with her trinky off and went off to nurse her boo-boo. Same with Scar Face. I think Gaga's happy happy now. Music Buddy sent Pickaxe to check on her. Named her Gaga when Gaga made "first contact" with Beru."

She shrugs. Facing Naii, whose defensive mechanism barely in control, she clarifies about Leanderis.

"Stone Face is no magician. Stone Face only good at petty tricks because experience in darkness and butter knife. I know Mage Piss team up with Stone Face because Mage Piss thinks he's good at shiny stuff. Nyaa, Mage Piss so tense now, no need to. Ruwar just here for Stone Face. Mage Piss gave team "express pass" so team should sleep for Mage Piss questioning tommorow. So excuse us, nyaa."

Ruwar giggles.

"Ruwar not responsible for naming Mage Piss Mage Piss. Blame Gaga for shooting pea comments. No piss fire on Gaga, she got good fiery temper but softy inside. Ruwar sorry if name offends Mage Piss"

Then, she starts to drag Leanderis to the Inn by his hand.

"Stone Face come. Team will worry where you gone to, especially Gaga. Gaga will think Stone Face is not suited to talk to Mage Piss."

Shinovar
2013-03-13, 08:10 PM
Leandris calms once he realizes what was happening. He puts his chain back and steps out of the shadows.

Laughing to himself, and more than a little afraid of Naii's possible reaction, Leandris waits to see what she does before he goes with Ruwar.

Yas392
2013-03-14, 02:24 AM
Forgot to roll diplomacy check. :smalltongue:

[roll0]

Still waiting to see if Song of Heart is compatible. :smalltongue:

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-14, 05:11 PM
Settling once she realizes that the catfolk is not a threat, Naii begins to plod along behind the pair of you as you walk back to the inn.

"You guys are staying at the Haversow, correct? I haven't seen Laakim in a while. I'll tag along, if you don't mind."When did you use Song of Heart?

The panther laughs. "Always happy to be of service," he grins, lips pulled back revealing sharpened incisors. "I was away on the Plane of Elemental Light for the last hundred years or so; I always find stories about these little mortal wars so interesting. It is a shame that I missed it; I do so love battle..."

Shinovar
2013-03-14, 05:23 PM
Leandris is not pleased with this turn of events. Sure, he liked Naii and got along with her fine, but Peregrine would be there. Not a good combination. Still, there was nothing he could think of to prevent it.

"Of course. I do ask that you be gentle on Peregrine though. It takes her awhile to cool down and she may do something she would regret." Or at least should regret. You never could tell with Peregrine.

supernerd
2013-03-14, 05:30 PM
Fennel couldn't help but give a light sigh of a laugh at the panther's response, noting that Rowan had returned, giving his friend a nod in response before returning to the panther, Oh, the battle was very invigorating, however, having been in one while barely past an infant is a bit... Unnerving to say the least. I know things will change when I start plane hopping and have lived a few centuries, but right now seeing so many people lose their lives while I'd barely started my own left a bitter taste. I know I'll be able to see the big picture a few hundred years years from now. But for now I guess I'm living within a mortal generation so it hurts. Wanting to stay away from his own melancholy, he changed the subject to the panther, So how was the Plane of Elemental Light? I've yet to find a means off this plane, so any stories from the others would be quite appreciated. I am a bard, and a collector of stories.

Yas392
2013-03-14, 07:36 PM
Realizing that Mage Piss is so-so and cannot be unhooked because of her decisive action, Ruwar abandons her mischief in primitive language, going back to her passion, releasing her hold on Leanderis. Hey, everything works out in the end, right?

Harvesow, Harvesow,
Tigers, Dragons, Dark-scorned,
Find it there, there and there,
Motes harvested from the clusters of golbubaeser,
Rich, rich, riches,
There's none because they despise
The blights borne that
Encroached themselves in their promised land,

Ruwar pauses to catch her breath, reciting another verse of her song.

Harvesow, Harvesow,
Your beams hold strong,
Bracing the scions of war,
Who had triumphs and failings,
Drink away in the night Harvesow,
Forget all the horrors of war,
Even there's reminders,
Remind yourselves that
you bear the pride of Arram
in the signet of her.

She harps down, her harp resonating soft, still in motion but starting another song.

"We're here at Harvesow, nyeh."

Without wasting time, she dunks into the roars of never-ending activities. She sniffs the air.

"Is that MIRUKU?"

Her body acts up from instinct, she leapts, spinning her body and landing near the counter where Laakim had finished her lamentation symphony and was serving her regulars.

"Lila, cAN I haVE MiRuKU, Puweassse. Meow Meow, is so so HunGAry"

Ruwar blinks continuously, asserting her charm towards Laakim, her song still on play despite all the acrobatic maneuvers she did. Her speech was slurred, raising and lowering pitches. You could tell that she's really almost demanding.

Macros
2013-03-14, 08:51 PM
Rowan was sitting quietly at one table, thinking about what could be done before tracking their mysterious arsonist. Finding some reading material on the natives of the Fire Plane would be a start. Learning a spell able to protect him and his companions from fire - something that ranked pretty low when you spent most of your free time exploring ancient and deserted ruins, but was much more attractive when you were after a guy who had a fire-elemental pet - would be perfect, except he currently was low on coins. Perhaps...

His train of thoughts was interrupted by a familiar voice. A few seconds later, Ruwar made a dramatic entrance - when did she left, he had no idea - followed by her other companion from before, and was that...

Oh good grief.

That was Naii, no doubt about it. That could become... troublesome. The last thing anyone needed was an encore from this afternoon. Still, ignoring her was not really an option, not to mention rude. And maybe some progress had been made on the investigation.

"Greetings, officer. I did not expect to see someone from the city watch until tomorrow. Is there a problem ?"

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-15, 02:25 AM
@Yas
What?:smalleek:

Everyone in the Haversow:

"No, no issue, citizen. Just here for a drink - I'm off duty. Laakim, my usual; hello Cosca, Efrim, Raschel." She nods a greating to the three at the bar, the half-dragon and his companions.

"Hello, mage-commander. How are things; this lot said something about Ekler's? And an explosion?"

Naii nods magnanimously. "You wouldn't have anything to do with that, rival businessman and all, now would you?"

The two laugh together, and Naii sits down at the bar beside Rowan.

"So, how's business, barkeep?"

"Oh, you know, a little of this, a little of - oh. Oh." Laakim turns to look at Naii, but it's only when you look behind her at the door that you see who's returned.

Naii glances over her shoulder at the figure in the door at her friend's exclamation. Her eye's meet Shaada's, and her face becomes expressionless.

"Naiivete. What a surprise to see you here."

"Shaada. It's been a while."

The tension snaps between the pair like lightning. Shaada's scarred face is curled in a faint grimace, but Naii's doesn't falter or flinch.

"How long will you be in the city?" The words are cold.

"Another week, probably." The answer is cold enough to match.

"... Good." At that, both sides seem to back down. Shaada drags up a stool, the half-dragon and his cohorts hustling to get out of her way. Laakim looks unworried, perhaps just a hint nervous, and brings both women flagons of a tall, black gin.

The entire bar is quiet as a grave while this goes on, soft conversation only returning when the patrons are certain that the pair have no intent but to sip their alcohol in stony silence, ignoring both each other and the rest of the bar.

Fennel
Both you and the Rakshasa watch the scene play out before you. When conversation resumes, the panther begins to tell you about his adventures amongst the planes.

"Now, of course as a Rakshasa, my native Plane is the plane of Tre'ance, but I have wandered the planes myself for long enough that I am aquainted with the ins and outs of many foreign planes. You are a Assamir, are you not? Of Shomese herency?"Yes, yes you are.

"The Plane of Light... It's vast, and bitterly cold. The beings that live on it are silent, sliding like wrathes through the emptiness, as big as mountains. To look at the sky would blind you, and to look down... It is disorienting, frightening even, one might suppose, were one inclined to such mortal emotions. I will confess that my stay in that place was not entirely, shall we say, voluntary..."

"My home Plane is far better. It is a warm and arid place, where the Rakshasa have ruled forever - a plains that touches the very edges of reality themself. The creatures that dwell there are suitable - no, they are the finest prey, wrought of shadows and flesh and magic, and made manifest in a thousand different forms - on this plane, you would call them horses, and elephants, and birds and bears and orcs, and a thousand other forms that don't have any analogue." When he speaks of Tre'ance, his voice is laced with nostalgia. This is his home plane, and his affection for it is clear. "We are not usually sociable, even amongst our own," he continues, gesturing at his companions. "I made my den with my mate and cubs in a yurt perhaps a hundred seji from the capitol city."

Peregrine
You sit alone in the little park, contemplating your thoughts for a while.

Yas392
2013-03-15, 04:05 AM
@Aard Rinn

Miruku=Milk. She likes milk. She gone crazy over milk.

Still waiting for you to confirm and approve if the Song of Heart feat give bonus to my inspire battle, inspire, inspire competence or inspire superiority.

OR

if lingering song feat doubles the duration of my music after my character had stopped playing. If they are not compatible with this bard class then I'll go for more extra music, nya. :smallsmile:

supernerd
2013-03-15, 09:12 PM
Fennel smiled, listening intently to the stories of the panther. When asked of his heritage he replied, I've no idea what an Assamir is, but yes, I'm a Shomesian Aasimar. (so is Shom(ese) a house or a greater ancestor?)

As the panther went on, he had to put things in the perspective if the cat, not wanting to discount his opinions based on conflict with his own. At the end, he said, Wow, someone has been on quite the adventure for the past millennia or so. Tre'ance seems like a wonderful place for you all to call home, I hope your cubs have grown strong into fine warriors and bright minds. Your mate is a fiery one and absolutely gorgeous, if I had any taste for women I'd surely be jealous of you. Though, how exactly was your trip to the plane of light involuntary, is like to be able to here that story.

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-16, 07:53 AM
If other people want to move on, that's ok. We'll PM the rest of the conversation, and I'll edit it in here when we're done. That way we can move on as a group.

The next morning, the tavern is much emptier when you go down for breakfast. Shaada is sitting at the bar chatting with Laakim, and Naii is nowhere to be found, presumably having left sometime last night to return home.

When she sees your group, Shaada slides over to make enough room that you can all sit together.

Did Pere come in that night, or did she just sit outside? I assumed she did come in later that evening....

Saskia
2013-03-16, 06:19 PM
Peregrine sighs at the sight of Shaada. With a deep breath she walks over and sits near to her, avoiding eye contact with either her or Laakim. It takes obvious effort, after a moment lightly drumming her forefinger on the table she says curtly as she stares at the table, Sorry. She sits motionless for a moment, but with a swift motion she retrieves her journal from her pack and quietly reviews her field notes on dangerous flora and fauna, still pointedly not looking at Laakim or Shaada.

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-16, 11:11 PM
Spying Shaada and Peregrine, Belisarius placed himself down on a vacant seat. Gesturing to Laakim for food and without turning to his companion, he absently remarks Good to see you're still here then. Despite his effort to disguise it as an off-hand comment, there was the unmistakable tone of relief in Belisarius' voice. Are the others around yet? I need to do something - sitting around on my arse is driving me crazy!

Yas392
2013-03-16, 11:13 PM
I take it that Laakim just stuffed her right up to keep her quiet, I presume? :smalltongue:

Yas392
2013-03-16, 11:32 PM
Preference of outdoor for the night was typical of Ruwar. Even if she got into a room for the night, she never felt comfy inside the spacious bedroom in the University or any accomodations. She opened the window, purchased against the window sill, clambered towards the roof, watching and sleeping under the stars. When morning arrives, she stretches and her face peeks downward the dangling doors, left opened at the threshold. She sees a glum Peregrin and an impatient, eager Belisarius with Shaada and Laakim.

"Morning, nyaa."

She flips down in a dramatic fashion comparable to yesterday, walking inside gracefully. She move to the table where they gathered, sitting down and imitating Beru's motions.

"So, Gaga and Sca-I mean Red Head good good now?"

She bit her tongue to stop herself from demoralizing Shaada, leaning over, anticipating their future interaction.

Macros
2013-03-17, 01:01 AM
"Good morning, everyone."

A still half asleep Rowan stumbled on the room, before taking the nearest chair, in front of Belisarius. Looking around, he saw no sign of a guard. The person Naii said she would send didn't seem to be there yet. Two of their companions still weren't up and around, too. Trying to plan on a possible investigation would have to wait. Until then, well, some food would be welcome to start the day...

Shinovar
2013-03-17, 01:28 PM
Leandris arrives just in time to see Peregrine's apology. There we go Peregrine. This attitude should make things easier for everyone he thinks to himself.

Knowing that Peregrine doesn't want her action mentioned, Leandris says nothing to her except to include her in his good morning to everyone.

Leandris then looks to Laakim and says "What are my choices for food this fine morning?

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-19, 03:03 AM
@ Fennel
Nope, Shom is the plane from which your ancestors came - making you a Shomese-descended Assamar. It can also be called the Wooded Place, as it is basically covered in various types of forests, patched together like a woodland quilt, so you might be in a dense jungle one minute and take another dozen steps and find yourself in a lightly wooded meadow. Fennel would presumably have heard stories from his parents about it, or, barring that, sought out stories about it.

As you sit down, Laakim serves you with what appears to be the day's breakfast - a bowl of hearty onion soup with cheese on top, and half a loaf of thick, crusty bread, served with a tall mug of pale, frothy ale. For Ruwar, she serves a mug of hot milk and some biscuits instead, and she seems to have simply pulled out a large trucheon to serve Bell, but it seems that she's managing the kitchen just fine on her own.

When Peregrine sits down, Shaada seems nervous, but when it seems that the Duskblade isn't looking for a fight, she relaxes. When Peregrine mutters her apology, Shaada nods, and after a few seconds, she replies;

"No sense in fighting over something as stupid as honor, is there?"

She seems to perk up a bit when Bel enters, and tries to talk to him, only to be interupted by the prompt appearance of Ruwar. After reassuring the smaller catfolk that they are not presently fighting, she returns her attention to Belasarius. As the others file in, she begins to speak.

"So, Belisarius, right? I got a bit of a proposal for you. Naii, I don't think you met her, you turned in pretty early last night; she's the vice-captain of the local watch? She's an old friend of mine, and she was poking around here last night, asking around for the account of some guys as blew up a tavern on the other side of town - the very one you had such trouble with last night. Now, Naii wanted me to do some poking around, unofficial-like, and see if I could shake any fat rats free from the city sewers, and remind some of the more... well-known undercity names why arson is such bad business in Tell's Howe. I'm always up for a scuff, but I was thinking I could use some muscle... And then I thought of you! How'd you like to come with? You can bring you friends too, if you'd like. What'dyou think? A little gold, a tour of the Tell's Howe undercity, and a chance to rough up Tonks if he gives us any ****."

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-19, 05:39 AM
A wry smile creeps across Belisarius' face I'm more than muscle you know...can't speak for my companions, but you had me at roughing up Tonks! His hearty laugh accompanied a gentle slap on Shaada's back

Turning to the people he only just met the night before What say yous? Keen for shaking up the undercity and kicking some arses?

supernerd
2013-03-19, 07:54 AM
Fennel walks out from the rooms, stretching as he comes in, Count me in for sure. Gives me something to do and hopefully a problem to fix. I'd like to see what all is up our angry friend's sleeve.

Shinovar
2013-03-19, 09:19 AM
Leandris looks up at Bel and smiles slowly. "Of course. It should be fun."

Macros
2013-03-19, 11:59 AM
Rowan simply emited a small chuckle at the eagerness displayed around the table.

"Well, I'd have a hard time roughing up anything more vigorous than a sickly toddler, but I do suppose I could be of some help. And I can always use the gold, I guess."

Not to mention it was the first time someone tried to set him up on fire, and he was a bit curious of the reasons that led to such a fiery display yesterday.

"I was wondering... is this Tonks known as a spellcaster of some kind ? He didn't strike me as one, but if he is linked to that incident... an accomplice, perhaps ?"

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-19, 12:27 PM
Shaada grins, pleased that the group seems to have decided to accompany her.

"Excellent. Now, we're probably going to have to knock more than a few heads together, so bring your gear; I'll have Laakim hold your rooms over, so you can leave anything else there. I was going to head out in an hour or two; why don't we meet up at the park you and Rowan were at last night?"

The last part is addressed to Peregrine. Shaada then drains her glass and wanders over to the corner, where a rucksack sits, and begins to fiddle with several small glass phials.

Saskia
2013-03-19, 01:11 PM
Peregrine nods. Sure thing. Without another word she gets up to retrieve her gear.

Shinovar
2013-03-19, 01:34 PM
Leandris is already carrying most of what he needs, but he eats quickly and goes back up to his room to inspect his gear, making sure it is all ready to be used.

Macros
2013-03-19, 02:26 PM
Rowan slightly frowned at Shaada's answer.

"... did you follow us last night ? And you did not answer my previous querry. Do you know anything of use about Tonks ?"

He did not have much to do anyway. His spellbook and his crossbow were already at hand, and he did not have the time or the coins to make more preparations for the day.

Yas392
2013-03-19, 04:14 PM
Piercing sonorous the bull nostrils flares,
His weighty construct dares,
The journey to another world the party thread,
All approve their shares,
to the bull friend they declare.

Ruwar recites her poetics before giving her approval.

"Nyaa, why not. I'm game if party are."

Everything was with her when she slept yesterday so there's no need to go back to the room. She gets her harp out and hit a chord, tranquility enclosing the Harvesow.

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-19, 04:27 PM
Returning to the room, Belisarius gathers his things. He takes a moment to drink in the morning serenity.
Roll to become psionically focused [roll0]
edit: focused!
Aard: for the purposes of streamlining play, can I take as given that at every dawn I concentrate to become psionically focused?

In a brief moment of peace, Belisarius was able to draw upon his inner reserves and atune his mind, preparing himself for the day.

supernerd
2013-03-19, 09:27 PM
Fennel buttoned his cloak as he looked to the others. Well I'm set. Only got a few things I need, and I've got my crossbow in the check.

Shinovar
2013-03-19, 09:59 PM
Leandris finishes with his gear and rejoins the group downstairs.

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-21, 08:03 PM
Heading out into the city, it is a short walk to the park. You arrive perhaps an hour and a half after Shaada left the bar, and it would appear she has not arrived yet. This part of the city is quiet and empty, save for a few women walking past, and an older man, who sits quietly, feeding some small gold-and-blue lizards at the fountain.

Shaada arrives maybe five minutes after the rest of you.

"Ready to go then, guys?"

Yas392
2013-03-21, 08:16 PM
Scar face arrived late. Before every limb push forward with force, Ruwar tries to promote safety for the group. She uses her high dexterity around the thoroughfare, her catlike senses monitoring every movement and sound.

Spot - [roll0]
Listen - [roll1]
Hide - [roll2]

supernerd
2013-03-22, 08:51 AM
Fennel leaned against a tree and played a slowly tune to mimic the birds fluttering about, harmonizing with the wind in the trees. He stopped for only a second to say, you know I am.

Shinovar
2013-03-22, 10:46 AM
Leandris had been quite enjoying the music. It had a very natural sound, which he appreciated. He nods in readiness as Shada approaches. "Just give the word"

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-22, 09:02 PM
Sorry guys. Seems this post vanished; it was between 172 and 173...

Shaada finished her pack and slung it over her shoulders, heading to the door.

"No, of course I didn't follow you. And he's not a spellcaster, but spells are cheap, and silence a 30% surcharge."

I'm going to be away tommorrow, so I won't respond until evening to anything. I'm working on the first part of the dungeon, I'll have a map for you guys by then.

Macros
2013-03-23, 06:26 AM
No harm done. And oooh, dungeon. Sounds promising.

Rowan nodded in agreement, but couldn't quash some doubts. Despite Shaada earlier reassurances, if the culprit really was Tonks, then he had access to considerable ressources. Spells might be cheap, but those who casted them usually were expensive. And to control a fire elemental... This was no parlor tricks.

The wizard found some confort in the fact that his new companions seemed to know their trade. As for Fennel, he already knew he could count on him. Only one question remained.

"I am sorry, lady Shaada, was it? I was wondering, if the vice-captain felt she could leave this matter to you, she obviously has a good opinion of your skills. What is your specialty, if you don't mind ?"

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-24, 03:20 PM
I'm going to treat it like you asked that at the fountain, so things move all in a line.

"Naii and me? We go way back, and she knows I'll get stuff done. She's a mage, a damn fine one, but when it comes to hunting folks up, she's not really the sewers type, if you catch my drift. She isn't that intimidating, either, although Liir... Now there's a bit of muscle I wouldn't mind taking into the Undercity with me, if you're hearing what I'm saying."

We can keep talking here if you want, or you can wait a bit until I have the dungeon worked out. It'll take a day or so.

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-30, 10:35 PM
She pulls out a map of what appears to be some kind of labyrinth. "The sewers - Naii got me the map. This is where all the action is in Tell's Howe - We're going to make the devil's run, across and around, and then head out the southern exit. We want to stay out of the southwest corner, though; that's trouble we don't need."

Having said this, she kicks at the manhole cover at her feet and drops down. You here a splash as she hits the bottom, but it doesn't seem too deep.

When you head down after her, you find yourselves in a large square room. The area you landed in is a culvert, but most of the floor is raised and dry. The floodlines reach about two feet off the floor, but the area seems dry right now.

The room is well lit, torches burning unwaveringly as if by spell along the walls, which are smeared with what seems to be bright red, blue and brown pigment. Bits of brightly colored pottery have been cemented into the walls somehow, and bits of gnarled iron and twisted bronze have been piled in the corners, with larger pieces of what look like armor mounted on them.

There is one door, in the Southeast.

"Be careful," Shaada cautions you. "This is Kobold work; we're on the edge of what they consider their territory. Many groups live down here, and they are all hostile to outsiders. Being sent by Naii should offer some protection, but there are probably many traps, and some who won't respect my authority."

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-30, 11:05 PM
With some (not un-comedic) struggling, Belisarius managed to squeeze into the
man-hole landing with a prodigious splash. His eyes adjusting to the darkness, the warblade felt instinctively at-ease underground - perhaps because it reminded him of a maze...

The half-minotaur cautiously sniffs the stale air
Using scent to track if there's any fresh trails 1d20+2
accidentally previewed the post, will roll in OOC thread...
I assume its bright enough that darkvision doesn't kick in?

This, south-west corner. What's so bad that it scares even you?

Aard_Rinn
2013-03-30, 11:29 PM
The area smells stale, but there is a damp breeze running through it. You detect no fresh scents, but the strong smell of effluent and brine are heavy on the draft flowing through the grated drainage tunnels.

Shaada looks a bit embarassed at that. "Not... Scares me. But the southwest is where the Drow make their warren, and they despise surfacefolk, for the most part. They would not harm me, ordinarily, or any few underfolk, but a group this large would almost certainly anger them."

Yas392
2013-03-31, 12:39 AM
Ruwar fitted herself into the hole with relative ease. She adjusted her vision with the environment and took the initiative, wading in front of the team, extragavantly plucking on her notes with nonchalant behaviour.

Beru and Scar face were talking while the former was trying to sniff out danger, that might be wafting in. Frankly, she's ignorance as she let her curiosity of the things before her got the better of her. Let the team handle the extremities.

Spot - [roll0]
Listen - [roll1]
Sense Motive (Based on Listen check) - [roll2]
Search - [roll3]

Macros
2013-03-31, 05:31 PM
Rowan followed the rest of the team, with Cael in tow.

"Drow, you say ? That can be... problematic."

Travelling underground was nothing new for the archeologist, but ruins usually smelled better. And he couldn't help but think that the fact such an underground world existed under the city reflected poorly of the administration. Nevertheless, Rowan did his best to remain surrounded by his new travelling companions. It would not do to be the first to come face to face with one of the local denizens.

Saskia
2013-03-31, 10:46 PM
Peregrine chuckles confidently, the morning's uneasiness apparently undone by the prospect of danger. Problematic for you, maybe. She speaks loudly, grinning as she nudges Rowan with her fist. If I had a silver for every drow priest or wizard I'd strung up, I'd raise an army. Her grin broadens into a vicious smile and she continues, obviously relishing her expertise in the field of dangerous creatures, Nah, it's never the stuff you expect that'll get ya, it's what you think is beneath you, or don't know about at all that'll kill you. There are blocks of acidic slime that wander around, digesting whatever corpses and waste they manage to slide over. They're mostly invisible, too, unless you've got really good lighting, and if you walk into one it'll melt you in minutes; you hope you suffocate first. She laughs and adds animatedly, lowering her volume as if in anticipation. They're easy to take out, if you can spot'em first. Or a black pudding, hides in water and then lashes out with a massive pseudopod to crush and engulf its food to be digested, usually while it's still alive; the crushing attack just smashes bones and leaves the victim unable to escape, it usually doesn't actually kill the poor sod though. Astoundingly well adapted to places like this, there's debate over whether oozes arose naturally or by magical meddling and just evolved from there. Usually synthesized life isn't well adjusted to wherever it ends up calling home, but oozes share unique physiology not replicated anywhere else, so either position seems reasonable and neither is well founded. With a wistful sigh she adds I could spend a lifetime just studying oozes. She takes a deep breath and trudges through the foul water with a confident stride, apparently much more at ease than before.

Shinovar
2013-03-31, 10:47 PM
Leandris nods as Shaada explains the situation. As they enter the room, Leandris sets off to work. It would not do to be surprised here.

He sees Ruwar wandering ahead. Perhaps Leandris was not alone in this type of work. Still, it's better to be safe than sorry when traps are involved.

Leandris will be taking 10 on search for trapfinding, resulting in a 20. Hopefully we won't have magic traps, cause if we do, we will be in trouble.

The Bureaucrat
2013-03-31, 11:18 PM
Belisarius was surprisingly entranced by Peregrine's explanation, it was somehow reassuring to be with someone who knew things, who was certain. Peregrine, you seem strangely fascinated by oozes... he teased. All the while, the half-minotaur drew his falchion and seemed to redistribute his bulk into a more aggressive stance.

leading the charge stance

Aard_Rinn
2013-04-01, 10:28 AM
Ruwar
The room seems mostly bare, other than the afformentioned Kobold "art". You notice faint trickles of water along the walls, and the air is cool and damp as it runs through your fur.

You hear the others talking, but your attention is quickly caught by a sound echoing from the hallway to the south. It is a faint gonging, like someone repeatedly striking a bell. The noise continues on for maybe half a minute, then cuts out, fading slowly back into the ambiance of the sewers.

The noise fills you with unease, but you can't be sure how much of that is just from being in the sewers. As you focus your attention back on the group, you catch the end of Peregrine's story; "I could spend a lifetime just studying oozes."

Leandris
You carefully examine the room, checking first the walls, then the piles of armor. As you work, you note that the pigment used on the wall is strange - it feels thick and paste-like, like oil pastels or wet chalkdust.

When you examine one of the piles of armor, you can see that it is actually a woven mesh of metal - pipes and rain gutters ad well as lengths of chain. Mixed in are bits of brightly colored cloth, many faded from the constant moisture, but some looking fresher. A bit of velvet catches your eye - it is thick and blue, about eight inches across, but cut up on the bits of wire it is wrapped around.

As you work around to the other piles, you see a handful of pieces that are relatively intact, but for the most part, all of the items are older. None of it seems to be trapped, though.

Finally, you get to the door to the south. It seems to be safe, but you can't be absolutely positive. However, your attention is caught by a thick black smear of soot slashed across the door, as if it had been marked with a block of charcoal.

Listening to Peregrine talk about the ooze, Shaada grins. "Don't scare the little ones, Hunter. Ideally, we're staying well on the beaten path today."

She pulls the map back out. "Now, the room we're in now is called the Northern Antichamber. It's a safe entrance; the only other is the square room directly to the south of here. This one is, technically, Kobold controlled; they use it as a ceremonial room, hence the decorating. The other is controlled by the Drow; they allow safe passage as long as you leave promptly, but it's further away from the human-controlled portion." She gestures to the northeastern corner of the map, where most of the rooms are clustered.

"Now, there are exits in all these rooms, but most are less than accessible. They're controlled by the various rogues and scum that make up the Tell's Howe Thief's Guilds. Most use them as a escape route to the Undercity from various safe houses. They keep the area clean and free of things like slimes, cloakers, and such. But, the gangs are probably worse than the beasts. The patrols they send out for monsters also deal with any... intrusions by guardspeople. Which, for today, is us."

She gestures at two different rooms. "We need to go here and here, cracking any heads we find as we go. We're the law, like I said, were supposed to try not to kill anyone, but... I really don't give a ****, so go to town, if that's your thing. Then we'll head south, and leave through the Drow's exit. I hope."

She looks at each of you in turn. "You all getting this? Let's head out - and be careful!"

For purposes of not killing people, unless you cut off their heads or something, we'll assume they're just really soundly beaten and unconcious at 0. It shouldn't effect combat at all, it's just fluff for this dungeon.

Saskia
2013-04-01, 07:09 PM
Peregrine winks to Bel with a predatory grin. She steps away to get a look around the room and a feel for the architecture and strings her sturdy bow before placing it back in its holster. Loudly she answers Shaada, Works for me. Not my fault if some poor sod attacks us, but I'll try not to go for immediate kill shots on whatever idiots might decide they want trouble.

Macros
2013-04-02, 01:46 PM
"Don't you think that's a little harsh ? As far as they know, we're heavily armed intruders. I cannot blame them if they feel threatened."

If those last years of exploring lost ruins had teach him something, it was that locals usually do not like uninvited guests, especially with weapons. In several instances, diplomacy had been possible... and in a few, it had not.

"Still, I do not intend to just get killed here. I'll take your advise of caution to heart."

Rowan took a few seconds to mutter several abjuration spells. His clothes were lighted by a faint green glow, before turning back to normal.

"I'm ready."

Cast on self : Mage Armor
Cast on self : Protection from Arrows

Saskia
2013-04-02, 02:52 PM
Peregrine's tone is dismissive, and she shakes her head as she speaks. If somebody tries to start a rumble with people investigating arson and murder then no, I don't think it's too harsh to leave them injured and not dead, and I won't feel too guilty if they do lose their heads.

Shinovar
2013-04-03, 10:18 AM
Leandris looks at Shaada, meeting her eyes. "Understood" he says as he grasps his chain, swinging it slightly to warm up.

"This room looks strange. I am unfamiliar with most of what is in here. You say it is just kobald decorations. Are you sure it isn't kobald traps? Especially the door. It looks safe, but I am unsure what the charcoal means.

Yas392
2013-04-03, 03:34 PM
The door had some kind of mark on it. She tries to see if she could identify it.

Bardic Knowledge - [roll0]
Knowledge (Local) - [roll1]

Aard_Rinn
2013-04-04, 05:37 PM
"Yeah, that's their 'art'. Collections of stuff taken off intruders and bits of stolen stuff, mostly. They like to handle it, but they loose interest fair quick, so they build these mounds as monuments to their tribes strength and success." She idles over to the door, running her hands along the crack at the top, then down the sides, as if feeling for wires or traps. "Seems clean, yeah."

She then examines the mark on the door. "Looks like some kind of mark from the maintinence staff. There may be a team down here, I didn't think to check. Well, shall we?" She fiddles with the lock, then rams into the door, which shudders but doesn't budge.

"Hey, Bel. Give me a hand."

Saskia
2013-04-04, 05:54 PM
Peregrine watches Shaada's odd display with interest. It wasn't every day you got to see a human girl try to fight a door.

The Bureaucrat
2013-04-04, 07:19 PM
Cracking his knuckles, the hulking man-bull takes a runnnig start and slams his considerable bulk into the door.

strength check? [roll0]

Shinovar
2013-04-04, 08:30 PM
If Bel doesn't break the lock, Leandris will try his hand at unlocking it.

Open Lock: [roll0]

Yas392
2013-04-05, 06:34 PM
"Wait, nya!"

Ruwar points to the door.

"Someone rang bell behind that"

Saskia
2013-04-06, 12:19 AM
Peregrine rolls her eyes and groans. Kobolds rely on surprise, traps, and positioning in any fight, even in their warrens. You can't surprise your enemies going around ringing bells, so if we're about to be accosted they've got to be incredibly stupid in a way that kobolds normally are not.

Despite her casual dismissal of Ruwar's concerns, she draws her bow again and nocks an arrow. Just keep your eyes open. When they are aggressive, they never attack how or where you expect.

supernerd
2013-04-06, 10:44 AM
Fennel looks around at the art, marveling at the details of the inscriptions. Even as less-than-dragons they had an interesting cultures. My father taught me the language of dragons when I was young, and I picked up more as I grew. But I say we try not to kill, I'm wondering what that glyph was exactly.

My Internet is unavailable for one week and THIS happens! Anyways, let's try some Draconic I'll add my Bardic Knowlege:
[roll0]
And Decipher Script:
[roll1]

Aard_Rinn
2013-04-08, 11:59 PM
Fennel has only a few moments to examine the glyph before Belisarus's hulking weight goes crashing through the door. "Nyugen?" he murmurs beneath his voice as the door explodes in on itself. The word meant water in the ancient draconic language, but it was rarely used; the word-glyph Niyaiga was preferred, as the former more precisely referred to vapor, steam or fog.

A thought pricks your mind. Of what interest would steam be to Kobolds?

As the dust clears, Shaada turns to Ruwar in surprise. "A bell? How odd." However, she returns her attention to the hallway, seeming unconcerned as she strides into the milky blackness.
Those without Darkvision ONLY!
She fades quickly into the dark, seemingly having no difficulties with the murky blackness of the room. A damp breeze blows down the now-open hallway behind you, blowing any smells that you could have used to track away.

Suddenly, Shaada's footsteps stop, perhaps 20 or 30 feet ahead of you. You can see a faint glint in the dark, but otherwise see nothing more than 5 or so feet into the black.

Those of you with darkvision ONLY!:The hall extends far into the distance, beyond what even your eyes can see. A damp breeze blows down the now-open hallway behind you, blowing any smells that you could have used to track away.

However, Shaada stops at a door maybe 20 feet in, and beckons you to follow.

Saskia
2013-04-09, 12:27 AM
Peregrine sighs and rolls her eyes. Oh what the hell... Is anyone gonna get pissed if I get us some light?

Macros
2013-04-09, 02:17 AM
"I, for one, am all for it. I doubt we would be able to take anyone by surprise to begin with, given our numbers. Might as well see where we're stepping."

He was more worried about what he heard Fennel. He had enough knowledge of the draconic language to understand it, and its implication could meant trouble. Was it refering toward some kind of trap ? Given the love of kobolds for them, most likely.

Yas392
2013-04-09, 02:45 AM
She yanked from her bag an everlasting continual burning touch, heading off after Scar-Face.

The Bureaucrat
2013-04-09, 05:57 AM
Tightening his grip on his falchion, Belisarius says tersely Be on alert. The corridor extends further than even I can see, likewise, the wind means that I can't scent a thing. This corridor seems ripe for an ambush. I don't like this at all.

supernerd
2013-04-09, 06:39 AM
Fennel subconsciously walked close to Rowan, never fear, remember, this and diplomacy is what you have me for. His Daylight centers on his glove, flooding the corridor with light and ready to put away at a moment's notice.

Saskia
2013-04-09, 10:30 AM
With nothing but a moment's concentration, Peregrine holds her bow up at half-draw. Four bobbing lights materialize around her, dancing around her body as if in orbit, but after only a moment they move forward and upward, illuminating the hall as if they were a chandelier dancing along the ceiling. Peregrine moves forward, staying outside the radius of light, ready to at least threaten to kill whatever poor sod found his way into her line of sight.

Dancing lights spell-like ability, generates four lights that function as torches. Having them orbit a central point with a ten foot radius to maximize their illumination. Torches have 20 feet of bright light and another 20 shadowy, so with the 20 foot diameter circle they're orbiting the area within that circle will stay brightly lit, and another 20 feet out will be bright, for a total of a 60 foot diameter circle of bright light, and the shadowy light beyond that. Peregrine is staying 100 feet from the lights so she stays in the dark area even for a potential enemy with low-light vision. The lights and peregrine are both moving at Peregrine's speed of 30, and the duration of the lights is one minute. Since she can use her duskblade spell-likes a total of 7 times per day, she'll continue using that ability until something interesting shows up, until the end of the hallway, or until she's used 3 of them because by that point there's probably some better way of doing things that doesn't cut into her uses of read magic, etc.

Also move silently [roll0]

Shinovar
2013-04-10, 09:31 PM
"Go ahead" Leandris says to Peregrine. Still, Leandris waits back, hiding amongst the shadows.

Aard_Rinn
2013-04-13, 12:22 AM
Shaada flinches back for a moment from the light of your spells, but regains her footing moments later. "You take point," she gestures to Peregrine. "Down the hall and take a right. Belisarus, take the rear. Keep an eye out that we don't get flanked. Quietly, now." She moves up to stand behind Pere, slipping the red sword from it's sheath. The sound of scraping steel rings faintly in the hallway.

You round the corner, and see a second door before you. This one is also old, but is ringed with steel, and seems less likely to yield. I did checks for you all.

Listen:
Pere, Belisarus, Rowan, Ruwar, Shaada:
On the otherside you hear the faint sound of people talking. It sounds like a large group, but you can't be sure of how many.

Everyone else:The sound of your own footsteps echo down the hall, ringing off the damp stone of the corridor walls.

Saskia
2013-04-13, 07:42 PM
Peregrine looks around the area and nods at Shaada's warning. Prime ambush real estate, she says lowly to herself. She looks at Ruwar and says Kit, your kind have good eyes, right? Watch the way we came in. She sheathes her bow and draws her sword, turning her head she continues quietly, Bel, on the door with me in case they hear us and get a mind to charge through. Everyone else check for holes, trapdoors, hidden passages; anything that's not solid wall is a trap that will kill you. Kobolds don't fight fair, and I don't blame them.

The Bureaucrat
2013-04-13, 08:04 PM
With a simple nod, Bel acknowledges Peregrine's orders. Falchion already in had, the half-minotaur cautiously approaches the door.

Boy o, he has a terrible move silently....
[roll0]
edit: ahahahahahaha - natural 1 *CLANGS CLANGS CLANGS HEY IMMA HERE...:smallsigh:

Saskia
2013-04-13, 09:57 PM
Peregrine raises an eyebrow and grins at Bel's graceless noise. Don't bother, love, she teases. There's no reveille for the dead.

Yas392
2013-04-13, 10:31 PM
Ruwar chirps happily.

"Ok, Gaga."

She puts away her torch, dimming the area slightly. She watched their back in addition to cropping her view of the backdrop and deploy her acute utility for the kobold's dirty tactics.

Spot (Take 10) - 10+10=20
Listen (Take 10) - 10+10=20
Search (Take 10) - 10+10=20

Macros
2013-04-14, 02:53 AM
Rowan hardly suppressed a groan at Belisarius... attempt at discretion. Well, it was hardly surprising, he supposed.

"As I said earlier" he supplied to Fennel, "no surprise effect from us".

Dealing with mundane traps was not exactly his specialty. He could do it, and had to in more than one occasion, but he suspected several party members would be more suited toward this task. Instead, he tried to concentrate to see if any magical effect was in play around him.

Search check [roll0]
Spellcraft check [roll1]
Knowledge - arcana [roll2]

edit : wow, a nat 1, a nat 20 and a ten. Talk about balance.

Shinovar
2013-04-14, 03:32 PM
Leandris nods at Peregrine's orders. He laughs to himself. It's just like her to be making commands. Someone needs to do it though, and I've served under many worse than her.

Leandris begins his search for more traps.

Search: 20 with taking 10.

Aard_Rinn
2013-04-16, 07:59 AM
The voices inside the room fall silent as Bel tumbles into the wall with a clatter. It is silent for a few seconds, then - "Get the door."

You hear footsteps approaching from the other side of the door.

Ruwar & Leandris
Your careful examinations of the door reveal a small set of latches at the top that seem to be wired to something on the other side, perhaps an alarm. You hear within the room at least four people moving around.

FennelAs you reach out with your magic, you allow yourself to be comforted by the warm glow of power from your comrades, although you are a bit surprised to see the magic around Shaada twist and glow brightly. You sense two sources of magic from within the room, strong enough to be casters of some sort, and a handful of wards on the door and in the room - one to ward off monsters, another to provide light, and a third to freshen the air within the damp sewer. In addition, you notice a spell that seems to be running through the whole sewers - but even then, you cannot tell what it is.

Shinovar
2013-04-17, 10:19 AM
Leandris looks to the others and motions to the wired latches. He looks questioningly to the magic users of the party. He has had too many experiences of trying to disarm traps that turned out to be magic and had no inclination of making such a mistake again.

Waiting for the magic users to answer his silent plea, Leandris points to the door and holds up 4 fingers, indicating to the group that they should be ready to face significant numbers if the door opens.

Macros
2013-04-17, 04:11 PM
Aard_Rin
I'm going to assume your Fennel encart was actually meant me

Coming closer from Leandris, Rowan muttered what he learned.

"Door's warded, but nothing we should worry about. Two possible spellcasters behind it."

He decided against speaking of what he felt from the whole sewers. First, they needed to deal with the threat at hand. There would be time later to play a guessing game.

Saskia
2013-04-17, 06:42 PM
Peregrine closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, opening them again with augmented insight. She looks at the device, then at the room around her.

Detect magic spell-like, down to 5 spell-likes for the day from Duskblade after dancing lights. Also, spot (lol) [roll0] and search [roll1] and listen (lol again) [roll2]

Shinovar
2013-04-17, 09:41 PM
Leandris nods in appreciation. "Thanks. I don't like to mess with the magic traps. I've been burned one to many times."

With that, Leandris starts to disable the trap. 22 with taking 10.

Saskia
2013-04-18, 05:53 PM
Peregrine takes a hand off of the hilt of her sword and shoulders the blade, signaling him to hold off with her hand. With her now-free hand she gestures for two different spells. She then nods, taking her weapon again in an offensive stance.

Casting true strike and shocking grasp, then readying actions to quick cast bull's strength and charge, if she deems it prudent.

The Bureaucrat
2013-04-18, 07:29 PM
Belisarius remains silent throughout all this, content in letting more capable members of the group deal with the potential magical obstacles. Standing next to Peregrine, he remains in his combat stance, falchion perfectly balanced in his hands ready to strike at any foe.

Aard_Rinn
2013-04-22, 01:16 PM
The wired latches are easily remedied, and you have the top two off with no issues. As you kneel down to fix the bottom one, however, the door is slammed open.

Leandris:
Roll+Reflex+Tumble to dodge. If under 15, take 1d4 damage. If 1, roll 3d4 for crit. fail.

A hulking half-orc stands proudly at the door, a jagged sabre in his giant hand. He deflates a little - just a tiny bit - upon seeing Bel, but quickly reasserts himself. "B'ss sd c'mn." he grunts at you, then holds the door wide. Beyond it you can see another orc, as well as a few other figures who you can't quite make out sitting at a large table.

Saskia
2013-04-22, 03:41 PM
Seeing the orcs, Peregrine stands tall and steps calmly forward. With their kind, like most pack predators, the best way to avoid a fight is usually to show how utterly unafraid you are. Stay calm and you'll get to live. she calls out authoritatively. Move without my permission, and my friend here might think you're trying to pull something, and accidentally rip your head off and beat your friends with it. She pauses for a moment before finishing. Are we clear?

Intimidate? [roll0]

Macros
2013-04-22, 05:18 PM
Rowan couldn't help but frown. Despite Peregrine brave words and attitude, she seemed a bit too taken aback by the sudden development to pull it off right.

"I think we should start with the basics first. Can you understand us ?"

Unfortunately, among the many languages he mastered, the orcish tongue was not one he could claim to understand. If none of them were able to speak common, those atempts at a peaceful discussion may be short lived.

supernerd
2013-04-29, 03:36 PM
Fennel held his Ocarina close, ready to weave a song if the time arose, but for now the best course of action would definitely be to talk, and even then most of what he could do would only help with one of them. He chose to help with negotiations, using gestures to help if there was no common language after all, careful to keep a gruff lightly Draconic accent to avoid any Elvish tendencies. Hello, If you speak the same language, as we do, I hope you can understand we mean you no harm. Please forgive me, most of my knowledge of the Orcish language comes from translations of legends into Draconic. They spoke admirably of great war-chieftains.

Diplomacy:
[roll0]

Yas392
2013-04-29, 05:21 PM
Ruwar readied her harp for a deafening song. With two brutish figures guarding their "masters" or "guests", they need all the time they can get. It will play the instance the first sign of hostility is display. For now, she attempted to discern the behaviour of the orc and its forthcoming action. Also, the company in the room as well.

Sense Motive - [roll0]
Spot - [roll1]
Listen (Movement) - [roll2]

Aard_Rinn
2013-04-30, 11:30 PM
The Orc seems aggrivated, his face contorting into a grimace. However, he repeats his words, attempting to enunciate - "B'ssman said com'in." He shoves the door wide.

Shaada slips under his arm with only a brief nod of acknowledgment, entering the room beyond.

supernerd
2013-05-01, 05:58 AM
So THAT was the orcish accent that had been noted in the legends! Fennel put a note down that it would be beneficial to learn their tongue so as to avoid translation and accents all together. He slipped behind Shaada with a Sorry about that. Hopefully he wasn't that offensive.

The Bureaucrat
2013-05-01, 04:02 PM
Hearing the orc enunciate Belisarius chuckled to himself. The situation with Fennel was amusing nonetheless, though Bel could sympathise with the orc in that, peoples reception of the half-minotaur were more often than not, based on assumptions. Bel shepherds his companion towards the door, waiting for them all to enter before passing through the door himself.

Yas392
2013-05-01, 05:22 PM
When Beru ushered all of the party in, Ruwar found a corner to lap on. She made herself as comfy as possible. A cat who crouched in wait.

Saskia
2013-05-01, 06:15 PM
Peregrine runes the jumble of consonant sounds over through her head, still unable to understand what the hell the beast said when the others seem to let down their guard. Oh, she says and sheathes her weapon. Walking forward, her pace is slow and her expression dour. ****ing indecipherable gibberish... she mutters to nobody in particular as she passes Bel.

Macros
2013-05-02, 01:48 AM
Rowan followed in turn, making sure not to get too far from Belisarius massive form. He truly hoped that orc who "greeted" them was not a good example of their communication skills, otherwise negociations were bound to degenerate in a confusing mess, possibly ending with violence. Not being well-versed in orc culture - in part due to lack of ruins built by them, even if he found a few made by them - the best course of action would be to let Fennel handle this... and hope his usual charm would not be lost entirely through the language barrier. Meanwhile, Rowan tried to single out the spellcasters he felt through the door.If worse came to worse, he'd have to be ready.

Shinovar
2013-05-02, 12:43 PM
Leandris thanked his ancestors and his training for being light on his feat. He did so hate to get hit.

Having escaped the door, Leandris merged with the shadows, waiting to see what would happen with the group. When they decided to follow the Orc, Leandris follows, ready for the newcomer to turn on them at any time.

Aard_Rinn
2013-05-02, 02:26 PM
Entering the room, you see a large desk placed in the center of the room, with a jagged, glowing crystal about 8" tall sitting atop it, providing the only light in the room. Behind the desk stands another hulking half-orc, his presence making you nearly miss noticing the much smaller humanoid sitting behind the desk. Across from him, in elaborately carved wooden chairs, sit five further figures: a pair of Kobolds dressed in what appear to be some kind of brightly-coloured ceremonial cloths, and a trio of Drow, two younger women dressed in armor and an old woman, wearing a simple grey hooded robe marked with delicate white embroidery.

They have stopped talking as you entered, and the human gazes expectantly at your group. "Well, what brings you here, dogs of Naii?"

Shaada snorts."You're hardly one to talk, Lucca. Guys, this is Lucca, head of shipping in the 'Howe. Sorry ladies, sirs, but we just have a touch of business to handle," she says, addressing the rest of her audience. "Lucca, someone has been a very naughty boy, setting buildings aflame in the city above. You wouldn't have sold any artifacts that can call an elemental recently, have you?"

"Artifacts to call a fire elemental...? But aren't yo- one second, let me check my records." He hops off his stool and wanders over to the left, pulling down a ladder and shimmying to the streets above. When he is gone, the oldest Drow speaks up. "It has been a while, Shaad. Introduce your friends."

Saskia
2013-05-02, 05:24 PM
Bored out of her skull, Peregrine idly looks around at the room, noting points of entry and examining the luminous crystal, as it seemed to be the most interesting thing in the room. If somebody was going to call her a dog, he was certainly not her friend, and she had no interest in talking with any of his associates. Besides, if they were hostile then the fact that she was obviously not worried about them might make them think twice before taking action.

Arcana? [roll0] on the glowing crystal.

Yas392
2013-05-02, 06:24 PM
Nya,nya,nya. Shiny..but she was also curious about other people as words were being exchanged before she would approach for a chatter.

Bardic Knowledge (First Orc) - [roll0]
Bardic Knowledge (Half Orc) - [roll1]
Bardic Knowledge (Lucca) - [roll2]
Bardic Knowledge (Ceremonial Kobolds) - [roll3]
Bardic Knowledge (Three Drows) - [roll4]
Bardic Knowledge (Crystal) - [roll5]

Aard_Rinn
2013-05-03, 08:26 PM
Arcana @ Pere

Congradulations on your nat. 20. Now you get all the notes!

The crystal on Lucca's desk is a Rutiel crystal. They are commonly used as lamps by people who work with lots of papers, as they possess no risk of fire. Those of high quality are usually mined in the Claats Mountains, and they are also found raw in rivers. They are abundant all over the continent, and mineral Rutiel in noncrystalline forms is also common, although it is dimmer than the crystalline form. Many caverns in the north are illuminated by these rich veins, and the dwarven palaces are said to be illuminated by large, perfectly clear crystals carved in the shape of dwarven heros, gods, and monsters. At the bottom of the sea, too, exist crystals, far larger and more perfect than any seen on land - said to measure a thousand feet or more, the light and magic they radiate allowing many varied and bizarre forms of life to dwell in these otherwise dark regions.

Rutiel is used as a base in many spells. It absorbs spells well, and holds them for a long time, far longer than any other common crystal. A light spell lain upon a perfect specimen last as long as the stone endures, and wards laid with it as locus can endure for decades with no refreshing. In the mage-town of Vaastruk, a single crystal stands, thirty meters tall, holding the city's wards; a gift from a dragon in ancient times. In the last thousand years, the wards have endured without fail - despite the fact that no living mage exists who knows how to restore them of damage.

If care is taken, it may be substituted in for aquamarines or other beryllites in many spells requiring the latter, although the reverse is rarely true. Indeed, it is chemically and structurally identical to beryl, the difference being that Rutiel has been imbued with magic. According to those elves that specialize in blade-crafting and mineral-work, Rutiel is fused with the Ent of the Second Age, and thus falls into the same category as the abominations that wander the rift: magical artifacts of the turbulent powers that mixed in those wrenched times.

There is evidence of this in the unique properties of a blade forged with Rutiel ore mixed into the steel, or with a clear, glowing crystal set into the pommel. These weapons, held in the hands of one with the courage to wield them, are known to deal tremendous harm to the creatures of the second age. The challenge, of course, is not the crafting of a blade, that being no harder than any other alloying process; it is to find one with the courage to wield it in battle, in defiance of ancient, deathless creatures that are abhorrent to all existence.

Useful things -

Chemical Name - Be3Al2(SiO3)6
Mohs Scale - 7.8
Shape - Hexagonal
Colour - Blue to yellow-gold, with dark red to brown samples being very rare and very valuable. Pink also occurs, but usually only as a mineral ore - it is typically a deep, pale magenta veined with white. Light emitted is yellow-tinted; red crystals may tint it to nearly mahogany.

This one looks like it might be worth 2.500g or so. It looks to weigh about 3 pounds, and is orange-yellow, but fairly clear.

BK @ Ruwar (everyone should read this for the physical descrips.)
The Half-Orcs seem to be mainly hired muscle - they look well put together for a race that is often described as imbecilic, but you have only rarely encountered orcs before, so who knows?

Lucca seems friendly enough - but how well do he and Shaada know each other?

The Kobolds are imediately interesting to you, dressed as they are in bright cloths, with bejeweled rings on their fingers and silver wire wrapped around and between their horns, like an elaborate, shimmering metal spiderweb. Neither of them carries a blade, but the smaller of the two wears a pair of bracers with sharp blades on the outside in three narrow rows - clearly intended to be used as a slashing weapon. His horns are tipped with metal caps, and the leather foot-bindings he wears have a broad, lightly curved spur about three inches long.The other carries no weapons at all, but has a bone flute around his neck, and sew all along the bottom of his shawl are glistening silver bells that, oddly, make no noise as he moves. Slung beside him is what appears to be a large, intricately knotted woven pot with a skin stretched over the top, almost like a drum. Atop the skin is an intricate symbol written in charcoal - you don't recognize the symbol's meaning, but it looks similar to the one on the door earlier.

The two warrior-drow bear swords, the preferred weapon for sewer-fighting. They wear thick grey tunics of what looks like felt, with red-dyed leather armor over the top. The oldest of the elven women wears simular armor, but hers is studded with large brass bolts, and her blade is enameled with gold. The ritual scars on her face tell you that she is one of the drowish swordmages - a rare title bestowed on those drow who flawlessly weave their patron-godess's magic into their fighting.

Shaada turns to the group. "Well? Feel like introducing yourselves to these fine ladies?" At her words, the eldest of the drow gives her a faint, but not unfriendly, smile.

Yas392
2013-05-03, 09:19 PM
Ruwar stood up, silently venturing to Beru. She whispered to him the relevance "3/4 people armed, one "musician" carry bells with same symbol as door", "middle crystal used for spells, warding and lighting."

She went near the shadows, sniffed for Stone Face and relayed the same message the same way.

Saskia
2013-05-04, 12:25 AM
Peregrine rolls her eyes and says without much interest, Drow living underground with seedy underworld types. Gee, I wonder what they do.

So... chemistry is under the arcana umbrella? That should be fun.

The Bureaucrat
2013-05-04, 01:05 AM
Not familiar with drows... Belisarius mutters to no one in particular. Speaking up Name's Belisarius. Er, what are we doing here exactly?

supernerd
2013-05-05, 01:37 PM
Wonderful, More duskblades, (of course that's just my first impression, they could be otherwise). The Half Orcs seem rather straightforward, but the kobolds seem rather fun!

Knowledge: Local - Lucca
[roll0]
Knowlegde: Nobility and Royalty: Lucca
[roll1]
Bardic Knowledge: Lucca
[roll2]
Knowledge: Local - Kobolds and their Order/sign
[roll3]
Knowlegde: Nobility and Royalty: Kobolds and their Order/sign
[roll4]
Knowledge: Arcana - Kobolds and their Order/sign
Bardic Knowledge: Kobolds and their Order/sign
[roll5]

Fennel gave a bow with the words, A pleasure, I'm sure, Sir. You may call me Fennel. He then looks to the Kobold and trying his best to match the accent of a Kobold rather than the Copper he'd learned, while also trying not to go off as mocking the humanoids, he used the tongue of Dragons, Hail, I must say I love your garb. We must play together sometime, I can only imagine how a flute would sound in the right kind of bone.

Saskia
2013-05-05, 09:42 PM
Having registered slowly with her contemplation of the stone and why drow would be working with, of all things, some human criminal, Peregrine snaps back to reality. Oh, uh, call me Peregrine. She points briefly with her thumb to the hilt of her sword and adds I kill ****. With that she turns her attention from the new people she's addressing to their gear and garb to gauge what each might be capable of, should the encounter come to blows.

Yas392
2013-05-09, 02:34 AM
Peregrin seemed to be tensed. A pat on her shoulder, some slipping of quietest of voices, a quick solution to her judgment.

"Don't worry, Gaga. I got your back. Most of them are armed lightly just for your information, orcs dont need to be mentioned. One of the gloomy one's a swordmage, the kobolds are harmless except the one with the bracers and dagger."

With that done, she walked to the company, giving her rakkish, charmy expression to the drows.

"Hi. You can call me Ruwar, nya. I have not seen drows before. I heard that you are strong and mighty with your bows and poison."

Aard_Rinn
2013-05-10, 03:42 PM
The drow woman grins, seemingly amused by Peregrine's irritated assumptions, but her companions seem less than pleased. Their hands go to there hilts, but before they can draw, she waves her hand, wordlessly commanding them to sit. She smiles plesantly at Bel, though, and says, "Well, I must say, it is rare that we see tauren in these parts, as well. My name is Ur. What has brought you and your friends into Shaad's company, I wonder?" She reaches into a pocket hidden in the fold of her robes and withdraws a small, milky ball made of cut stone, rolling it between her fingers.

"I and my entorage are here to discuss imports into the undercity, nothing more. The last order of wheat we purchased was of substandard quality, and Lissa is arranging it's replacement, as well as seeking out potential buyers for a new strain of Krussblumen that is being developed by some of the priestesses."

At this point, Shaada speaks up. "Lissa, amongst other things, is in charge of trade between the undercity and the Upmarket. He also smuggles magic items; it's good work, from what I hear."

When Ruwar pipes up, the Drow woman smiles, pleased with the complement. "Yes, poisons are something of an art form amongst our people, much as fine bladesmithing is amongst humans. We are immune to them ourselves, of course, but we have had a long time to hone their use against others."

The Drow are wearing swords, the preferred weapon for sewer-fighting. They wear thick grey tunics of what looks like felt, with red-dyed leather armor over the top. The oldest of the elven women wears simular armor, but hers is studded with large brass bolts, and her blade is enameled with gold. The ritual scars on her face tell you that she is one of the drowish swordmages, but the extent of her abilities, or their manifestation, are unknown to you. The stone she is rolling is a common item amongst that handful of swordfighters who use magic, however - it serves as both focus for meditation and training to make one's fingers more nimble.

Kobolds

Yas392
2013-05-10, 07:31 PM
Ruwar is now engrossed about the subject. Her attitude changed to one of admiration.

"Haahh. Amazing. Shamefully, my brothers and sisters would considered it dishonourable. But it is just your way of fighting so I do not see the big deal arguing over it. It is very efficient-wise, really. Do you do the same with your sword as wellz, nya?"