PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5 PrC] (My) Whiteguard [PEACH]

Xuldarinar
2013-03-08, 10:45 PM
Off and on i've seen good aligned variants to the blackguard, so I feel its time I throw out my own. Enjoy.

The Whiteguard

The whiteguard epitomizes redemption. He is the mortal incarnation of darkness turned light. The antithesis of blackguards, this hero is often driven forward by the regret for their past transgressions. Some call these heroes anti-anti-paladins or anti-blackguards due to their nature.
Hit Die: d10

Requirements
To qualify to become a whiteguard, a character must fulfill all the following criteria
Alignment:Any good
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Skills: Heal 5 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 2 ranks
Feats: Cleave, Improved Sunder, Power Attack.
Special: The character must have formally been of an evil alignment. The character must have had peaceful contact with a good outsider who was summoned by him or someone else.

Class Skills
The whiteguard’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Ride (Dex). See Chapter 4 of the Player’s Handbook for skill descriptions
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|1st|2nd|3rd|4th

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Aura of good, Detect evil, Lay on Hands|0|-|-|-

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Divine Grace, Smite evil 1/day|1|-|-|-

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Turn Undead, Aura of Courage|1|0|-|-

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Smiting Sneak Attack 1d6|1|1|-|-

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Celestial Guardian, Smite Evil 2/day|1|1|0|-

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|-|1|1|1|-

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|Smiting Sneak Attack 2d6|2|1|1|0

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2|-|2|1|1|1

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|-|2|2|1|1

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Smiting Sneak Attack 3d6, Smite Evil 3/day|2|2|2|1 [/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the whiteguard prestige class
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Whiteguards are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor, and with shields
Aura of Good (Ex): The power of a whiteguard’s aura of good (see detect good spell) is equal to his class level plus his cleric level, if any.
Detect Evil (Sp): At will a whiteguard can use detect evil as a spell-like ability, duplicating the effect of the detect good spell.
Lay on hands (Su): A whiteguard with a Charisma score of 12 or higher can heal wounds. Each day they can heal wounds (Their own or those of others) by a touch. Each day they can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to their whiteguard level x their Charisma bonus.
Divine Grace (Su): At 2nd level, a whiteguard gains a bonus equal to their charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws.
Spells: A whiteguard has the ability to cast a small number of divine spells. To cast a whiteguard spell, a whiteguard must have a Wisdom score of at least 10 + the spell’s level, so a whiteguard with a Wisdom of 10 or lower cannot cast these spells. Whiteguard bonus spells are based on Wisdom, and saving throws against these spells have a DC of 10 + Spell level + the whiteguard’s Wisdom modifier. When the whiteguard gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level, they gain only bonus spells they would be entitled to based on Wisdom for that spell level.
Smite Evil (Su): Once per day, a whiteguard may attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack. They add their Charisma bonus (if any) to their attack roll and deal 1 extra point of damage per class level. They gain an additional use at 5th level and at 10th.
Turn Undead (Su): When a whiteguard reaches 3rd level, they gain the supernatural ability to turn undead (see the Player’s Handbook, page 159). They turn undead as would a cleric of two levels lower.
Smiting Sneak Attack: Having once been evil, whiteguards are no strangers to taking advantage of their enemies. When an enemy with an opposed alignment would be denied their dexterity bonus to armor class or when the white guard flanks their target, they may strike for an additional 1d6 holy damage. If the enemy possesses a completely opposed alignment (ex. Lawful Good vs Chaotic Evil), this is increased to 1d8. This is increased to 2d6 (or 2d8) at 7th level, and to 3d6 (3d8) at 10th. If their target does not have any opposed alignments, then the attack deals 1d4 holy damage.

Whiteguard Spell List
Whiteguards choose their spells from the following list:
1st Level: Remove fear, Bless weapon, cure light wounds, inflict light wounds, magic weapon summon monster 1*
2nd Level: Bull’s strength, cure moderate wounds, eagle’s splendor, inflict moderate wounds, shatter, remove paralysis, summon monster II*
3rd Level: Remove disease, cure serious wounds, daylight, inflict serious wounds, protection from elements, remove curse, summon monster III*
4th Level: cure critical wounds, freedom of movement, Holy Sword, inflict critical wounds, Neutralize poison, summon monster IV*

* Can only be used to summon good aligned creatures.

Fallen Paladins of Tyranny/Slaughter
Whiteguards who have levels in the Paladin of Tyranny or Paladin of Slaughter class (that is to say, are now ex-paladins of tyranny/slaughter) gain extra abilities the more level of paladin they had. Those who have tasted the darkness of evil and oppression who have turned away make some of the greatest heroes.
A fallen paladin of tyranny/slaughter who becomes a whiteguard gains all the following abilities that apply, according to the number of evil paladin levels the character has.
1-2: Smite evil 1/day (This is in addition to the ability granted to all whiteguards at 2nd level)
3-4: Deadly Touch (su), this ability functions identically to the Paladin variant’s ability (Unearthed Arcana).
5-6: Smiting Sneak Attack damage increased by +1d6 (or +1d8). Smite evil 2/day. Furthermore, treat all paladin spells as whiteguard spells in terms of spells known.
7-8: Celestial Summoning. Once per day the whiteguard can use a summon monster I spell to call forth a good creature. For this spell, the caster level is doubled the whiteguard’s class level.
9-10: Deathless Companion. In addition to the celestial guardian, the whiteguard gains (at 5th level), a Medium-size Crypt Warden as a companion. This companion cannot be turned or rebuked and gains all special bonuses as a Celestial guardian when the whiteguard gains levels., however deathless companion’s hit die may not exceed that of the whiteguard’s. Smite evil 4/day.
11 or more: Favored of the gods, Good deities like nothing more than to see the corrupted turn to the light, and thus a fallen paladin of slaughter or fallen paladin of tyranny of this stature immediately gains a whiteguard level for each level of paladin of slaughter/tyranny they trade in. For example, a character who has twelve levels of paladin of tyranny can immediately become a 10th level whiteguard with all abilities if he chooses to lose 10 levels of paladin of tyranny. The character level of the character does not change. This, of course, is in every way a profitable trade for the good character, since he has already lost most of the benefits he gained from having those paladin of tyranny levels. However, with the loss of paladin levels, the character no longer gains as many extra abilities for being a fallen paladin. Thus, a fallen 15th level paladin of slaughter could become a 10th level whiteguard/5th level ex-paladin of slaughter and gain the first three extra abilities on this chart because of the character’s remaining five levels of paladin of slaughter. Smite good 4/day.

The Whiteguard’s Celestial Guardian.
Upon or after reaching 5th level, a whiteguard can call a celestial bat, cat, dire rat, horse, pony, ravne, or toad to serve them. The whiteguard’s servant further gains HD and special abilities based on the whiteguard’s character level.
A whiteguard may have only one celestial guardian at a time. Should the whiteguard’s guardian die, they may call for another one after a year and a day. The new celestial guardian has all the accumulated abilities due a guardian of the whiteguard’s current level.
The abilities mentioned in the “Special” column of the accompanying table are described below

{table=head]Character Level|Bonus HD| Natural Armor|Str Adj.|Int|Special

12th or lower|
+2|
+1|
+1|
6|Empathic link, improved evasion, share saving throws, share spells

13th-15th|
+4|
+3|
+2|
7|Speak with whiteguard

16th-18th|
+6|
+5|
+4|
8|Blood bond

19th-20th|
+8|
+7|
+4|
9|Spell resistance [/Table]

Empathic Link (Su): The whiteguard has an empathic link with his guardian out to a distance of up to 1 mile. The whiteguard cannot see through the guardian’s eyes, but they can communicate empathicly. Because of the limited nature of the link, only general emotional content can be communicated. Note that the low Inteligence of a low-level whiteguard’s celestial guardian limits what the creature is able to communicate or understand, and even intelligent guardians see the world differently from humans, so misunderstandings are always possible.
Because of the empathic link between the guardian and the whiteguard, the whiteguard has the same connection to a place or an item that the guardian does.
Improved Evasion (Ex): if the guardian is subject to an attack that normally allows a reflex saving throw for half damage, it takes no damage on a successful saving throw and only half damage on a failed saving throw. Improved evasion is an extraordinary ability.
Share Saving Throws: For each of its saving throws, the guardian uses either its own base save bonus or the Whiteguard’s, which ever is higher. The guardian applies its own ability modifiers to saves and it dowsn’t share any other bonuses on saves the whiteguard mite have.
Share Spells: At the whiteguard’s option, they may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) they cast on themselves also affect their guardian. The guardian must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit. If the spell has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the guardian if it moves farther away than 5 feet away and will not affect the guardian returns to the whiteguard before the duration expires. Additionally, the whiteguard may cast a spell with the target of “You” on their guardian instead of themselves A whiteguard and their guardian can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the guardian’s type (Magical beast).
Speak with Whiteguard (Ex): If the whiteguard’s character level is 13th or higher, the whiteguard and guardian can communicate verbally as if they were using a common language. Other creatures do not understand the communication without magical help.
Blood Bond (Ex): If the whiteguard’s character level is 16th or higher, the guardian gains _2 bonus on all attack rolls, checks, and saves if it witnesses the whiteguard being threatened or harmed. This bonus lasts as long as the threaet is immediate and apparent.
Spell Resistance (Ex): If the whiteguard’s character level is 19th or higher, the guardian gains spell resistance equal to the whiteguard’s level +5. To affect the servant with a spell, another spellcaster must get a result on a caster level check that equals ore exceeds the servant’s spell resistance.

Ex-paladins becoming Whiteguards

On occasion a paladin has fallen from grace and then redeamed themselves as a whiteguard. On such occasions they gain specific benefits. If you are Lawful Good (or Chaotic Good for paladin of freedom) add your paladin levels to lay on hands and smite evil. If you were capable of casting paladin spells, treat paladin spells you were capable of casting as whiteguard spells. If they possess another spell casting class, they may only use that classes spells in whiteguard spell slots if they can also cast paladin spells in that class.
Example. A Paladin 5/Sorcerer 1/ Whiteguard 3 would be capable of casting all first level paladin spells, however would only have access to whiteguard specific spells for second level, assuming they had high enough wisdom. Their sorcerer spells per day and spells known however would remain independent from their Paladin spells and Whiteguard spells. However, A paladin 4/Wizard 5/Whiteguard 5/ Silver Pyromancer 1 would be capable of casting known wizard spells spells up to 3rd level, and paladin spells up to 3rd level, as whiteguard spells.
A paladin who has become a whiteguard cannot regain spells per day as a paladin, continue leveling as a paladin (but can take levels in classes that count for paladin levels), and can only regain the following class features: Lay on hands, divine health, Turn undead, Smite evil, Remove disease. Levels will count towards aura of good. If a paladin whiteguard stops being lawful good (or chaotic good for paladins of freedom), they lose all benefits granted from being a paladin, but not from being a whiteguard. Whiteguards are judged more on intent than action, and therefore are not held to a code of conduct.

The Black and White Guard

Sometimes the greatest heroes fall into darkness, and sometimes the greatest villains turn to the light. If a character gains a level in blackguard, their levels in whiteguard count towards paladin levels. If a character gains a level in whiteguard from blackguard, blackguard counts towards paladin of tyranny/paladin of slaughter levels. They may freely upon gaining first level in either exchange levels between the two. A Blackguard/Whiteguard mix may gain levels in blackguard when neutral or evil, and gain levels in whiteguard when neutral or good. They may not possess a guardian and a servant at the same time. A blackguard/whiteguard may not possess a celestial guardian if they are evil aligned, and cannot possess a fiendish guardian if they are good. This also applies to a whiteguard’s deathless companion and a blackguard’s undead companion. Smite good and Smite evil stack as Smite. Sneak attack from blackguard levels count as Smiting Sneak attack when good aligned, and Smiting Sneak attack count as regular sneak attack when evil.
Example. An Ex-Paladin 2/ Blackguard 9/Whiteguard 9, would have Smite 9/day. If they were good aligned, they would have a celestial guardian and a deathless companion. If they were evil aligned they would have a fiendish servant and an undead companion. If they were neutral however they could have a choice between a fiendish servant or a celestial guardian, and their undead companion or their deathless companion.
Furthermore, spell lists and spells per day stack between the two classes. For instance a Blackguard 5/Whiteguard 5 would cast spells per day as follows: 2 first level, 2 second level, and 0 third level spells prior to spells granted by high wisdom. They may use these to cast blackguard and whiteguard spells.

The Greying Whiteguard

Sometimes a whiteguard will take on the mantle of greyguard. When they do so they do not gain Sacrament of Trust. They do however still gain Sacrament of the true faith. Should they consistently act with the intent and goal of evil a Greying Whiteguard may be subject to loss of all greyguard and whiteguard powers.

The Tainted Whiteguard

Whiteguards are universally people who came from darkness. A rare few carry darkness with them into the class, and fewer still willingly embrace it, but those who do know just what to do with it. A whiteguard who has mild corruption (see Heroes of Horror or Unearthed Arcana) can choose to use corruption in place of wisdom, and in a few places charisma, for spells and abilities.

Spell CD: 10 + spell level + corruption modifier
Bonus spells: 10 + Corruption score.
Lay on Hands: ½ Corruption score + Whiteguard levels (+ Corrupted avenger and paladin levels).
Smite Evil (or Smite): ½ Corruption added to attack roll.

DMMike
2013-03-09, 01:00 AM
Looks very cool!

But...

1) Sneak attacks aren't a very good thing to do. Unless it's on an undead, which is immune to sneak attacks anyway.

2) I see three dead levels. Anything to add to those, to make them interesting?

Xuldarinar
2013-03-09, 01:27 AM
Looks very cool!

But...

1) Sneak attacks aren't a very good thing to do. Unless it's on an undead, which is immune to sneak attacks anyway.

2) I see three dead levels. Anything to add to those, to make them interesting?

Thank you. Im glad you like it, over all. A while back I made this, put a lot of work into it and Im glad I have the chance to share it.

Now..

1) While true, I couldn't think of what to replace it with so I made sort of a holy variant. Its not perfect but its something.

2) As much as I hate dead levels, It can be difficult to think of something to fill them with. Also, those dead levels do make it consistent with the base, the blackguard. If you have any ideas i'd love to hear them.

Jota
2013-03-09, 11:07 AM
Thank you. Im glad you like it, over all. A while back I made this, put a lot of work into it and Im glad I have the chance to share it.

Now..

1) While true, I couldn't think of what to replace it with so I made sort of a holy variant. Its not perfect but its something.

2) As much as I hate dead levels, It can be difficult to think of something to fill them with. Also, those dead levels do make it consistent with the base, the blackguard. If you have any ideas i'd love to hear them.

On point two, maintaining consistency with bad design (base blackguard) tends to result in bad design.

On whole, this is the blackguard multiplied by negative one. Not very interesting, in my opinion, and less effective in some regards (smiting sneak attack namely, and the differentiation there is somewhat interesting and something I've done myself, I will admit). The difference is marginal, granted.

In terms of flipping the blackguard, you've succeeded, but you've done it in a way that anyone else could also do with minimal effort and creativity. There's nothing original here, and the whole 'evil is good multiplied by negative one' (or vice versa) isn't one of WotC's finest decisions, IMO, so propagating that line of thinking isn't really great either.

Xuldarinar
2013-03-09, 08:23 PM
On point two, maintaining consistency with bad design (base blackguard) tends to result in bad design.

On whole, this is the blackguard multiplied by negative one. Not very interesting, in my opinion, and less effective in some regards (smiting sneak attack namely, and the differentiation there is somewhat interesting and something I've done myself, I will admit). The difference is marginal, granted.

In terms of flipping the blackguard, you've succeeded, but you've done it in a way that anyone else could also do with minimal effort and creativity. There's nothing original here, and the whole 'evil is good multiplied by negative one' (or vice versa) isn't one of WotC's finest decisions, IMO, so propagating that line of thinking isn't really great either.

I hate to admit it, but I cannot argue this. I would appreciate though, suggestions as to what to add or change. So long as it remains true to its concept.