PDA

View Full Version : Need to optimize a Gold Dragon Wyrmling

Qc Storm
2013-03-09, 12:44 AM
I won't bother with the details of how I acquired a gold dragon. I just do.

I am a Factotum 5/Chameleon 4. I have full control over the dragons feats and skills. I am not a stranger to character optimization, but a dragon is kind of new to me. I am also a pretty good magic item craftsman, so the dragon could benefit from that, if you think some items would be good.

The DM would rather have the dragon be a beatstick rather than an uncontrollable spellcaster.

Multiattack seems like a must, but other than that, I am at a loss.

Thanks in advance.

dwlc2000
2013-03-09, 12:47 AM
Look into some of the magic items for mounts in the book arms and equiptment guide and ride the thing.

Urpriest
2013-03-09, 01:08 AM
Knowledge Devotion is nice on Dragons, since they've got most of the relevant Knowledges as class skills and have lots of attacks for the damage to add up.

Broadly, I'd say you have a few options. If you manage to hack Pounce on the guy (maybe through Soulmelds?) you could have a decent charger. With enough metabreath and breath-channeling feats you could have an interesting source of BFC. Beyond that there's a bit you can do with combat reflexes et al, but not really that much.

Chilingsworth
2013-03-09, 01:24 AM
What kind of gold and xp resources do you have for crafting? What level spells do you have access to? (I'd ask what spells, but with factorum and chameleon, it's basically "any of a level I'm able to cast" right? (I'm not too familiar with either class. I'm guessing you use your floating feat for craft feats when needed?

Qc Storm
2013-03-09, 01:41 AM
What kind of gold and xp resources do you have for crafting? What level spells do you have access to? (I'd ask what spells, but with factorum and chameleon, it's basically "any of a level I'm able to cast" right? (I'm not too familiar with either class. I'm guessing you use your floating feat for craft feats when needed?

I have access to spells of level 3 and below, both arcane and divine. Level 4 arcane will be available next level. Some high level spells are accessible through classes such as bard or trapsmith.

I don't mind losing exp while crafting, and I currently have no gold. But this will change. I use my floating feat for crafting as necessary.

I've been looking into Multiattack and Improved Multiattack. Both could be starting feats.

Urpriest
2013-03-09, 01:43 AM
I've been looking into Multiattack and Improved Multiattack. Both could be starting feats.

Improved Multiattack is useful, but it's only +2 to attack, which you could probably get via Knowledge Devotion on most enemies, along with +2 damage.

Qc Storm
2013-03-09, 01:45 AM
Improved Multiattack is useful, but it's only +2 to attack, which you could probably get via Knowledge Devotion on most enemies, along with +2 damage.

I already pack Knowledge Devotion's considerable powers, and would rather not have to track two different devotion bonuses.

Though I agree anything with skills and multiple attacks can make great use out of it.

Urpriest
2013-03-09, 01:50 AM
Improved Unarmed Strike is good for natural attackers since it gives you a whole stack of iteratives on top, especially good for a high-BAB high-HD dragon. A Mouthpick weapon would have the advantages of counting as two-handed and not costing a feat and the disadvantage of taking up the bite and not working with Sphinx claws if you get Pounce that way.

Rubik
2013-03-09, 02:37 AM
If you have access to the spell which opens the shoulders chakra, give it the Shape Soulmeld feat for the phase cloak, and take that as your next feat as well. Now when you ride him you can both go ethereal whenever you move together.

And that's what SHE said...

Qc Storm
2013-03-09, 02:48 AM
Improved Unarmed Strike is good for natural attackers since it gives you a whole stack of iteratives on top, especially good for a high-BAB high-HD dragon. A Mouthpick weapon would have the advantages of counting as two-handed and not costing a feat and the disadvantage of taking up the bite and not working with Sphinx claws if you get Pounce that way.

IUS and Superior Unarmed Strikes sound like fine choices. I'd probably get Snap Kick too, for the style.

Qc Storm
2013-03-10, 01:55 PM
New problem. I need a way to make a weapon immune to fire.

The dragon will most likely use a Mouthpick weapon. Because they are awesome.

But the DM raised a valid point. Breathing fire with a weapon in your mouth can't be good for the weapon. So I need a way to make it immune to fire damage.

SaintRidley
2013-03-10, 02:12 PM

But the DM raised a valid point. Breathing fire with a weapon in your mouth can't be good for the weapon. So I need a way to make it immune to fire damage.

Flaming weapons should be immune to magical fire, what with the whole being on fire thing.

Urpriest
2013-03-10, 02:42 PM

How much damage does the breath weapon actually deal? Objects take only half damage from fire, and that's after hardness, which will be higher for a magic weapon or one made of a special material.

Ganorenas
2013-03-10, 04:46 PM
Since your DM wants a beat stick, there should be some templates to get rid of the racial casting, Xorvintal comes to mind... Though it does seem a bit young. Could make your party Exarchs though, and use him as home base.

As for the weapon, adamantine is always good, has a high hardness, and your 2d10 /2 fire shouldn't get through it, max (10) doesn't beat Hardness 20.

Also, it can take class levels, and since dragons age via, well, aging, you could get a couple class levels before needing another racial HD for an age category.
Rules for this found in Draconomicon.

I find that Multi attack works well from the beginning, and i second knowledge devotion, you have the skill points.

Do you have average racial stats on this Wyrmling?

Twilightwyrm
2013-03-10, 04:55 PM
Entangling Breath would be a good one. A wyrmling isn't likely to be going great damage with this Breath Weapon, and will, until it is older anyways, not be as effective as a melee combatant as one of around your level. Entangling, and other debuffs a breath can provide, helps make sure its presence is felt on the battlefield, even if the enemy does make their save against the effect. I mean, by all means start it off going towards the melee route as this will be much better for when it gets older. But having entangling as a backup plan will not only help it in melee, but serve as a nice secondary ability to help the rest of the party.

Rubik
2013-03-10, 05:02 PM
Cast Bestow Curse to age it a few categories, as per BoVD.

Qc Storm
2013-03-11, 12:23 AM
I mentioned Xorvintaal to my DM, and I basically derailed the entire campaign into us participating.

We can consider our Dragon to be Xorvintal from now on. And us his Exarchs. What's a nice Xorvintal ability?

Deep Breath was nice, but me and the DM both agreed it was a bit abusive on a Wyrmling. (+4d10 and +4 to DC on a breath weapon that has 2d10 and DC 16).

Chilingsworth
2013-03-11, 03:00 AM
Speaking of breath DC's: Remember- increases to con mod increase the breath DC, too. :smallbiggrin:

Ganorenas
2013-03-11, 03:07 AM
Rejuvination works wonders, staying alive and all.

Recall Exarch can be helpful to you all as a team.

Dragon toxin will give a DoT effect until they are magically healed, the dragon dies, or they die.

Those and deep breath seemed like very good options.

Qc Storm
2013-03-11, 06:36 PM
Dragons have UMD as a class skill, so it seems like a solid area to optimize.

What are some good wands for a dragon? Shield would be nice, though Mage Armor may be unnecessary due to him wearing Chain Shirt.