PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Need help with a Villain Idea

Elricaltovilla
2013-03-09, 12:56 AM
I'm currently playing in a high level (and really OP) campaign. I've been playing D&D and Pathfinder for a while, and I talked my DM into letting me DM for a night. Our characters will be going Airship Pirating, cuz why not?

Anyway, I have an idea for a BBEG that I need some help fleshing out. I want him to:

1) Use lower level spells primarily. (nothing over 6th level)
2) Make extensive use of Metamagic Feats/Rods.
3) Scare the crap out of my fellow players.

Currently, the idea I'm working on is a guy that has embedded a bunch of metamagic rods into his flesh in order to cast spells that are much more powerful than he really should be able to cast.

Our party is 18th level, and made up of: Elf Druid 18, Dwarven Tiefling Barbarian (Titan Mauler) 2/Fighter 16, Drow Noble (Don't ask) Sorcerer?/Oracle?/Mystic Theurge 10, and potentially (cuz it's my character) a Half-Orc Magus (Bladebound) 18.

So what I'm looking for is Class suggestions, Spells to focus on, and Metamagic Feats. Any cheese you've got is welcome, our fighter averages 800 on a full attack.

dwlc2000
2013-03-09, 01:01 AM
Vampire. They are really powerful. Better than liches.

Silvanoshei
2013-03-09, 01:03 AM
Focus on Illusions. A ghost airship sounds fun. Don't hold back, or your BBEG will suck. Don't be afraid to kill them (not all, some), high enough level to buy a res anyway.

Go full wizard.

Elricaltovilla
2013-03-09, 01:18 AM
Focus on Illusions. A ghost airship sounds fun. Don't hold back, or your BBEG will suck. Don't be afraid to kill them (not all, some), high enough level to buy a res anyway.

Go full wizard.

As far as not holding back, I was just going to give them something I call the Tokyo Special.

Tokyo Special:
Start with 1 Black Tentacles spell
Add:
Widen Spell Metamagic Rod
Elemental Spell (Ice) Metamagic Rod
Rime Spell Metamagic Rod
Extend Spell Metamagic Rod
Sicken Spell Metamagic Rod
Maximize Spell Metamagic Rod
Dazing Spell Metamagic Rod
Empower Spell Metamagic Rod

But that might not even be OP compared to some of the crap we've pulled. Hence why I'm looking for cheese.

Baroncognito
2013-03-09, 01:40 AM
I suppose you ignore the portion of metamagic rods that says "A caster may only use one metamagic rod on any given spell, but it is permissible to combine a rod with metamagic feats possessed by the rod's wielder."

Elricaltovilla
2013-03-09, 01:43 AM
I suppose you ignore the portion of metamagic rods that says "A caster may only use one metamagic rod on any given spell, but it is permissible to combine a rod with metamagic feats possessed by the rod's wielder."

For this guy? Yeah. That spell was basically a joke anyway.

Like I said I'm trying to flesh out the idea some more, but I want him to be able to make my friends wet their pants when I say "He casts magic missile."

avr
2013-03-09, 01:52 AM
The dazing spell metamagic was mentioned recently in connection with damage over time effects. There are a bunch of such spells on the Magus list, plus wreath of blades, all of which could benefit from a Metamagic rod of dazing. You could still get the black tentacles spell as a magus. Heavy armour etc might not help that much defensively at this level, so the Kensai archetype might be handy.

Certified
2013-03-09, 09:23 AM
If you want to get the most out of a low level damage spell you can combine the following with Shocking Grasp and Spectral Hand for a nasty 3rd Level Spell:

Trait: Magical Lineage: Shocking Grasp

Feats
1 - Improved Unarmed Strike
1 - (Eschew Materials)
3 - (Elemental Spell (Acid))
5 - Empowered Spell
5 - Intensified Spell
7 - Kirin Style
9 - Kirin Strike

At 10th Level an Empowered Intensified Shocking Grasp will do 15D6 + Double Int Modifier + 5 for Evokers (+9 at 18th Level). Assuming an Intelligence of 30 (It's a villain, lets be generous Kirin Strike is adding 20 damage.)

A single casting of Spectral hand lasts 18 minutes and can be used to deliver the attack. The character may use Elemental Rods to change the damage type, this does not impact the Shocking Grasps +3 to hit targets wearing Metal Armour or using Metal Weapons. With a Ring of Wizardry III the villain may load up with 7 Empowered Intensified Shocking Grasps and still have 7 more 3rd level spells.

Elricaltovilla
2013-03-09, 12:29 PM
If you want to get the most out of a low level damage spell you can combine the following with Shocking Grasp and Spectral Hand for a nasty 3rd Level Spell:

Trait: Magical Lineage: Shocking Grasp

Feats
1 - Improved Unarmed Strike
1 - (Eschew Materials)
3 - (Elemental Spell (Acid))
5 - Empowered Spell
5 - Intensified Spell
7 - Kirin Style
9 - Kirin Strike

At 10th Level an Empowered Intensified Shocking Grasp will do 15D6 + Double Int Modifier + 5 for Evokers (+9 at 18th Level). Assuming an Intelligence of 30 (It's a villain, lets be generous Kirin Strike is adding 20 damage.)

A single casting of Spectral hand lasts 18 minutes and can be used to deliver the attack. The character may use Elemental Rods to change the damage type, this does not impact the Shocking Grasps +3 to hit targets wearing Metal Armour or using Metal Weapons. With a Ring of Wizardry III the villain may load up with 7 Empowered Intensified Shocking Grasps and still have 7 more 3rd level spells.

I'm making this face: :smallbiggrin:
Because this stuff is going to make my players make this face: :smalleek:

This is a great idea. Any other spell combos you think are worth mentioning?

Dulenheim
2013-03-09, 12:57 PM
On my end, I would go for a Lich Souldrinker that would be initially friendly. Nothing is scarier than a Priest of the Four Horsemen, as they represent the many ways a character can effectively die.

The Spreed would be:

-Wizard level 8 (Conjuration or Necromancy focus would be best. with Conjuration been the best of the two)
-Souleater level 6.

Since two of those Souleater levels don't add an effective caster level to the wizard's class, he would only be able to cast level 6 spells. This makes the character level 14, but with a caster level of just 12.

Since your average party level is 18, this would mean that the encounter would go really easy on them. Mostly if this guy was to show up alone.

A good solution for this would be to raise his souldrinker levels, to match up the party's level, or to apply templates to him.
If you for templates, I would recommend Lich and Advanced.

---------------------------------------------------------

How to introduce this guy:

If you are going for a flashy villain that will taunt the players while he tries to slash them with his cursed sword, this one ain't gonna cut it. But Rather, focus on allowing this guy to hide who he really is to the party. Maybe he poses as an old man that knows not where he is, and asks the party for help to leave this cursed ship. As they rest and take turns, he silently tries to slay them one by one, and each time one falls he sends his Cacodaemon familiar to devour the soul of the recently diseased. (Powerful souls are quite useful to soul smugglers and casters, and character's of 18th level surely hold invaluable ones. )

Use deception, trick the PC's. Is the easier way to see them fall.

The Link to the Souleater prestige is here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/s-z/souldrinker)

Hope this one helps. :smallsmile: