PDA

View Full Version : How can the story last for two more books?

i6uuaq
2013-03-09, 01:02 AM
In the Geekademia podcast, the Giant suggests that there are at least two more books to go after the current arc to wrap up the story. In a Kickstarter interview, he also said he had about 3 to 4 more years of regular updates. I think he'll take more than four years to put out two more books of content (300+ strips), but that's neither here nor there.

What I'm interested in is how the plot can last through two more books.

There are two gates left. Xykon is about to land on this one. The fight will probably be short and sharp. However the fight ends up, Xykon will end up without this gate. He will presumably teleport immediately to the next gate. Presumably there will be another quick fight, and the story will end there. How does this material last through two books?

How does Xykon getting into fights at both gates in quick succession fill two books? How does this rough timeline give time for Durkon to return home? How does the phylactery in RC's possession factor into this? What complications do you foresee to delay Team Evil?

Kornaki
2013-03-09, 01:05 AM
The fight will probably be short and sharp. However the fight ends up, Xykon will end up without this gate. He will presumably teleport immediately to the next gate

Couldn't this have been said about every gate before they were resolved? Something will stop him from doing this

Zmeoaice
2013-03-09, 01:09 AM
Some people suggested that one of the books will focus on the "new world" that Blackwing saw

Flame of Anor
2013-03-09, 01:17 AM
You only have to look at any other part of the comic to realize that the Giant is an expert at swerving the story in unexpected directions.

I'm not going to be able to predict the exact plot twists, but here are some of the previously set up elements that will almost certainly figure into them:

Vaarsuvius's 45 minutes under fiendish control
Tarquin's team being a credible threat to Team Evil
Whatever is guarding Kraagor's Gate
Roy's new spellcasting-disruption feat
The remaining Azure City forces
Belkar's death prophecy
Ian and Geoff

factotum
2013-03-09, 02:34 AM
I think the simplest answer is: the story you've got in your head, i6uuaq, wouldn't last for two more books. Therefore, that isn't the story the Giant is actually telling and there's going to be some surprises for you before it's all over. :smallwink:

LuPuWei
2013-03-09, 03:09 AM
Wow, the question in my mind's been how is this going to wrap up in just two books! :smallbiggrin:

What with each team taking relative levels in competence it almost seems like the fight for the gates has only just started! Not to mention the various open ended questions and innumerable subplots left to be resolved!

Ok, so maybe two more books is just about apt- one book on the quest for Kraagor's gate and one on the aftermath of discovering the true nature of the Snarl or whatever- but two books at least...

Cavenskull
2013-03-09, 03:47 AM
...However the fight ends up, Xykon will end up without this gate. He will presumably teleport immediately to the next gate. Presumably there will be another quick fight, and the story will end there. How does this material last through two books?...
That would be the predictable approach...

But what if something unexpected happens, such as Xykon successfully seizing Girard's Gate? It doesn't matter how safe the Kraagor's Gate is if Xykon and Redcloak are busy casting the ritual on Girard's Gate. According to Xykon, casting the ritual will take weeks (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html), which would put the Order of the Stick on a whole new race against time to assault the gate and destroy it before the ritual can be completed. With a ritual that takes weeks, that allows time for the Order of the Stick to urgently summon allies to the battlefield and plot an assault on the gate.

As an alternative, what if Xykon and Redcloak actually succeed in seizing AND controlling Girard's Gate? This could take the story in an entirely new direction. Imagine the gods debating over undoing reality again in order to contain the Snarl, while the Order of the Stick tries desperately to defeat Xykon and Redcloak, plus figure out a way to fix the situation without requiring the end of the world.

Just because there's another gate doesn't mean everything can't change at this one.

Hazzardevil
2013-03-09, 03:59 AM
Well, V's Soul Splice story hardly seems to be wrapped up and how Durkon will cope with being a vampire will likely take up a fair few more strips.

Giant will also have all sorts of other subplots, but I can't seem him finishing all of this in 2 books at the current rate it's going at. We've seen 3 gates (I think) over the course of 4 books, so he'd have to go fairly quickly to finish in 2 books.

Can I also have the link to this podcast?

Bravo
2013-03-09, 04:25 AM
The Order are not yet at epic levels. As DnD campaigns progress towards the epic, I've noticed that the gods tend to get more and more involved, and multiple planes get visited. There are two Gates left, true, but there are plenty of side tracks left. Belkar will die, Durkon will return to the Dwarven lands and wreak death and destruction, Haley will return to the Empire of Blood to free her dad, Elan will return to depose his father, Durkon needs to be resurrected, Redcloak will betray Xykon and attempt to give control of the Snarl to the Dark One, Vaarsuvius will be forced to betray the Order and will likely attempt to give control of the Snarl to the IFCC, the Linear Guild will continue to pursue their own agenda, Sabine has her own agenda regarding the IFCC, Roy will complete his father's Blood Oath, the remaining Sapphire Guard will come back into play, Captain Scoundrél will likely be killed, and the MitD will be forced to decide what he stands for.

But this will all get complicated when we find out what the Gates are REALLY protecting. Is it the 1st or 2nd Edition of their world? It would explain why Dorukan's Gate was surrounded by so many outmoded monsters. Is the Snarl making 4th Edition? Is there even a "Snarl" as we understand it? Have the Gods been lying all this time? When the Order discovers the TRUE nature of the Snarl, will they come into conflict with the Gods themselves?

Obscure Blade
2013-03-09, 05:37 AM
Is the Snarl making 4th Edition? Is there even a "Snarl" as we understand it? Have the Gods been lying all this time? When the Order discovers the TRUE nature of the Snarl, will they come into conflict with the Gods themselves?
There's also the question of why the Snarl has changed its behavior. The old "Order of the Scribble" that sealed the rifts & built the gates first became aware of the Snarl in the first place because it kept reaching out of the rifts and killing things, like Soon's wife. But now there's a great big rift over Azure City/Gobbotopia, and nothing happens.

Nemeean_lion
2013-03-09, 06:37 AM
There's also the "Ivy is a plant" subplot that has to go somewhere in there. Aunt Ivy has yet to reveal what is her connection with Bozzok.

hamishspence
2013-03-09, 06:53 AM
There's also the "Ivy is a plant" subplot that has to go somewhere in there.

Pun intended?

titan_monarch
2013-03-09, 07:17 AM
What I've noticed is that the story tends to fit in a broadly predictable structure:
Book in which a gate is destroyed (Start of Darkness - Lirian's Gate)
Book between gates (OtOoPCs)
Book in which a gate is destroyed (Dungeon Crawlin' Fools - Dorukan's Gate)
Book between gates (NCFTPB)
Book in which a gate is destroyed (W&XPs)
Book between gates (DSTP)
Book in which a gate is destroyed (well, not yet... but probably this one).

So I expect there'll be a book after this gate falls in which no gate is featured, then one for Kraagor's Gate. And possibly one in the aftermath of the gates - discovering the nature of the Snarl, the new world etc. So at least two more, judging by the current structure.

Domino Quartz
2013-03-09, 07:36 AM
Haley will return to the Empire of Blood to free her dad,

I'm pretty sure that's already happened.

Olinser
2013-03-09, 08:36 AM
The Order are not yet at epic levels. As DnD campaigns progress towards the epic, I've noticed that the gods tend to get more and more involved, and multiple planes get visited. There are two Gates left, true, but there are plenty of side tracks left. Belkar will die, Durkon will return to the Dwarven lands and wreak death and destruction, Haley will return to the Empire of Blood to free her dad, Elan will return to depose his father, Durkon needs to be resurrected, Redcloak will betray Xykon and attempt to give control of the Snarl to the Dark One, Vaarsuvius will be forced to betray the Order and will likely attempt to give control of the Snarl to the IFCC, the Linear Guild will continue to pursue their own agenda, Sabine has her own agenda regarding the IFCC, Roy will complete his father's Blood Oath, the remaining Sapphire Guard will come back into play, Captain Scoundrél will likely be killed, and the MitD will be forced to decide what he stands for.

But this will all get complicated when we find out what the Gates are REALLY protecting. Is it the 1st or 2nd Edition of their world? It would explain why Dorukan's Gate was surrounded by so many outmoded monsters. Is the Snarl making 4th Edition? Is there even a "Snarl" as we understand it? Have the Gods been lying all this time? When the Order discovers the TRUE nature of the Snarl, will they come into conflict with the Gods themselves?

Don't forget at some point they'll probably visit Xykon's Astral Plane tomb/fortress thingie, and that O'Chul/Lien already departed for Kraagor's Gate and probably have a few strips covering them.

i6uuaq
2013-03-09, 08:58 AM
That would be the predictable approach...

But what if something unexpected happens, such as Xykon successfully seizing Girard's Gate? It doesn't matter how safe the Kraagor's Gate is if Xykon and Redcloak are busy casting the ritual on Girard's Gate. According to Xykon, casting the ritual will take weeks (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html), which would put the Order of the Stick on a whole new race against time to assault the gate and destroy it before the ritual can be completed. With a ritual that takes weeks, that allows time for the Order of the Stick to urgently summon allies to the battlefield and plot an assault on the gate.

As an alternative, what if Xykon and Redcloak actually succeed in seizing AND controlling Girard's Gate? This could take the story in an entirely new direction. Imagine the gods debating over undoing reality again in order to contain the Snarl, while the Order of the Stick tries desperately to defeat Xykon and Redcloak, plus figure out a way to fix the situation without requiring the end of the world.

Just because there's another gate doesn't mean everything can't change at this one.

That's an intriguing thought. Kinda like how he hung about the dungeon of Dorukan trying to get some hero to open the gate for him.

i6uuaq
2013-03-09, 09:00 AM
Couldn't this have been said about every gate before they were resolved? Something will stop him from doing this

Except that Xykon is now officially impatient and not waiting for anything, anymore.

JustWantedToSay
2013-03-09, 10:00 AM
There's also The Very Definitely Final Dungeon (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheVeryDefinitelyFinalDungeon) that we got a sneak peak at in strip #0833 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0833.html) that will surely take up many strips.

SaintRidley
2013-03-09, 10:06 AM
We also have
SoD spoiler
Redcloak's niece
to bring into things.

Ninja Dragon
2013-03-09, 11:02 AM
You are underestimating the Giant's ability to make the plot complicated.

Kish
2013-03-09, 11:05 AM
I think the simplest answer is: the story you've got in your head, i6uuaq, wouldn't last for two more books. Therefore, that isn't the story the Giant is actually telling and there's going to be some surprises for you before it's all over. :smallwink:
Yes, this.

NerdyKris
2013-03-09, 11:25 AM

Best response in the thread. People have a tendency to confuse "I don't know what's going to happen next" with "nothing interesting is going to happen.".

Presumably, something will be delaying Xykon. Just like with this gate. Redcloak stalled him for a full year. I think he can find something for a week or so. Not to mention we don't know anything about the last gate other than it's in a dungeon filled with monsters. Xykon could be facing some serious resistance there that we don't know about. This gate was left unguarded, but the other three had heavy defenses still up. There's no reason the fourth won't as well.

nogall
2013-03-09, 11:26 AM
Here are a few thoughts I posted on another thread this week on what could happen:

1) the logical course seems to be last and final gate. But, as I understand it, only team evil could get there quickly (they have teleport and now the location, right?), and then game over. So I think there's a good chance something will happen that delay their trip. I don't know what, ask the Giant

2) The order, which has been weakened a lot lately, must find some time and way to restore and gather new allies before going. This might mean Hinjo, O'chul and the likes, maybe the cleric from Cliffport, or even V's master.

3) Another possible path is for the order and linear guild (or at least tarquin, malack and durkula) to join forces when they realize how great a challenge team evil is. I know, it will be awkward and dangerous, rife with treachery and double-crossing, but c'mon, wouldn't you like to see roy and tarquin planning and working together?

4) The two other main settings where the action may go to: the "snarl planet" and Xykon's tomb of horror. Going to the planet within a planet may bring yet another epic dimension to the story, specially if it involves the gods. And why or how would they go to Xykon's planet? well, see the end of point n. 1

Incom
2013-03-09, 11:33 AM
You are underestimating the Giant's ability to make the plot complicated.

Or dare I say...
:smallcool:
SNARLED?

Wait for itYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

In addition to all the other unresolved points, we don't know if Serini is still alive (though she'd be very old by now), and there's the whole "nine sides" thing...

Vinsfeld
2013-03-09, 11:53 AM
What I've noticed is that the story tends to fit in a broadly predictable structure:
Book in which a gate is destroyed (Start of Darkness - Lirian's Gate)
Book between gates (OtOoPCs)
Book in which a gate is destroyed (Dungeon Crawlin' Fools - Dorukan's Gate)
Book between gates (NCFTPB)
Book in which a gate is destroyed (W&XPs)
Book between gates (DSTP)
Book in which a gate is destroyed (well, not yet... but probably this one).

Nice connection there. I never thought about this until now.

Roland Itiative
2013-03-09, 11:59 AM
The whole idea of Team Evil being delayed got me thinking... What if Xykon's body is somehow destroyed during the next Gate fight? (it doesn't sound likely, but in hindsight, Xykon never got to the end of a Gate plotline without getting at least close to death)

That would completely change the Xykon/Redcloak dynamic, as RC would probably have to put whatever plan he has for the phylactery in action, and Xykon would know he has been betrayed. They can't possibly get a bigger delay than this :smalltongue:

Gift Jeraff
2013-03-09, 12:44 PM
The Rituak takes weeks to complete. And need I remind you that this entire book has taken place in the course of a few weeks (as did Books 1 & 3)?

So yeah, even if Team Evil arrives at Kraagor's Gate halfway through Book 6, it could take the second half of 6 and first half of 7 to get near completion of the Ritual, while the Order wraps up loose ends on the Western Continent/passes through Elven Lands/passes through the Northern Continent including Durkon's home/possibly ends up on the world within the world, and then the Order arrives at the nick time (or just late enough to see that there is no Snarl/the Ritual is not what it seems). Big fight scene & epilogue takes up latter half of Book 7.

And that's just my guess.

nogall
2013-03-09, 03:09 PM
The whole idea of Team Evil being delayed got me thinking... What if Xykon's body is somehow destroyed during the next Gate fight? (it doesn't sound likely, but in hindsight, Xykon never got to the end of a Gate plotline without getting at least close to death)

That would completely change the Xykon/Redcloak dynamic, as RC would probably have to put whatever plan he has for the phylactery in action, and Xykon would know he has been betrayed. They can't possibly get a bigger delay than this :smalltongue:

nice catch, I hadn't thought of that. It does change the whole dynamic forever.

deworde
2013-03-09, 03:26 PM
You only have to look at any other part of the comic to realize that the Giant is an expert at swerving the story in unexpected directions.

I'm not going to be able to predict the exact plot twists, but here are some of the previously set up elements that will almost certainly figure into them:

Vaarsuvius's 45 minutes under fiendish control
Tarquin's team being a credible threat to Team Evil
Whatever is guarding Kraagor's Gate
Roy's new spellcasting-disruption feat
The remaining Azure City forces
Belkar's death prophecy
Ian and Geoff

Monster in the Darkness' story
Right Eye's Daughter
Haley's "Not Exactly What You Would Call..." WHAT? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0309.html)

stsasser
2013-03-09, 03:35 PM
Xykon vs. Gated Community's HOA - 'No Undead Allowed'

Flame of Anor
2013-03-09, 05:11 PM
Heh heh, "gated" community.

allenw
2013-03-09, 08:42 PM
End of this book: Girard's gate destroyed, OotS go through to SnarlWorld. Team Evil may or may not go with them.

Next book: Race through SnarlWorld to get to the rift leading to Kraagor's Gate. If Team Evil isn't also in SnarlWorld, the spend the time teleporting to Kraagor's Gate, defeating the guardians, and starting the Ritual (and/or fighting each other).

Last book: OotS comes out of Kraagor's gate, much wackiness ensues. Many, many subplots get resolved. All Is Revealed (except for V's gender).

Obscure Blade
2013-03-09, 08:44 PM
There's also the question of what the final defense around this gate is going to be. Maybe it's nothing special or was a magic that vanished with the other illusion spells; but on the other hand maybe it's something so horrendous that even Xykon will be stalled for some time trying to find a way through.

factotum
2013-03-10, 02:32 AM
Girard's entire schtick was believing in the power of illusion, although he wasn't averse to using more physical spells when required, as his trap for Soon and the door Haley is currently working on prove. Nonetheless, I suspect that door is the final line of defence for the Gate.

runeghost
2013-03-10, 04:00 AM
For a final defense, my money is on an illusionary (but still potent) version of Girard himself.

goodyarn
2013-03-10, 04:13 AM

All of this, plus if Vamp Durkon tells Malack about the Snarl, I can see Malack becoming becoming another major villain. What would make his god happier than the destruction of the whole universe (whether or not that's actually what the Snarl does)?

Bravo
2013-03-10, 04:29 AM
I'm pretty sure that's already happened.

Oh right, yeah! I'd forgotten Roy managed to arrange it. Well then, there's still the possibility that he'll get in trouble again - he seemed to be intent on revolution.

i6uuaq
2013-03-10, 04:34 AM
Best response in the thread. People have a tendency to confuse "I don't know what's going to happen next" with "nothing interesting is going to happen.".

Lol. Yes precisely. What I was saying was that I don't know what's going to happen next, seeing as Xykon is officially in a hurry to get this over as fast as possible, and that something needs to happen to delay him somehow.

But as others have pointed out, since the ritual takes weeks to cast, I guess TE could conceivably seize a gate and still leave plenty of time for action and lulz. I quite like allenw's idea of racing through the SnarlWorld to hit Kraagor's gate, although I think that idea might take another 4 books to resolve properly. :smallbiggrin:

Obscure Blade
2013-03-10, 06:02 AM
Girard's entire schtick was believing in the power of illusion, although he wasn't averse to using more physical spells when required, as his trap for Soon and the door Haley is currently working on prove. Deception and manipulation in general (look how he bred his clan) - and it would be pretty sneaky to suddenly blindside enemies who have worked their way through a dungeon filled with illusions with a totally real threat.

Hmmm. Is there anything in D&D that causes madness or something like that when seen in its true form? That would be a pretty diabolical thing to plant in a dungeon filled with illusions, given that anyone working through those illusions would be using any spell or item they had to dispel illusions or grant true seeing.

Carl
2013-03-10, 11:08 AM
Hmmm. Is there anything in D&D that causes madness or something like that when seen in its true form? That would be a pretty diabolical thing to plant in a dungeon filled with illusions, given that anyone working through those illusions would be using any spell or item they had to dispel illusions or grant true seeing.

You failed a spot check. Fortunately for your sanity.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0448.html

Obscure Blade
2013-03-10, 06:18 PM
You failed a spot check. Fortunately for your sanity.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0448.html
<slaps forehead>

And I even re-read that one recently.

Carl
2013-03-10, 07:35 PM
Tehehehe.

No worries. Happens to us all:smalltongue:.

SavageWombat
2013-03-10, 07:54 PM
I pray that this campaign is over before any PC get to epic levels. I'm beginning to feel that the whole concept was what doomed the game in the long term.

/off my lawn you kids

Rogar Demonblud
2013-03-11, 09:35 AM
A sudden thought--What if Girard swings to nonmagic deception? Imagine maikng it through that trapped door, only to find 3-5 'gates' waiting for you.

Heck, there could be multiple fake gates all over in the pyramid, just to waste people's time.

Sunken Valley
2013-03-11, 12:08 PM
Look in my sig. If they resolve all that, story will be over.

Lvl45DM!
2013-03-11, 07:30 PM
Why do people think OotS are going to Xykons tomb thingie in the Astral Plane? Theres nothing in there Redcloak has the phylactery and gave X a decoy

Rogar Demonblud
2013-03-11, 07:33 PM
But does Roy know that? Xykon drops random taunt about the phylactery being hidden in the Astral branch of the Tomb of Horrors, the OOTS heads off to smash the thing so as to bring Big X that much closer to permanent death.

Kish
2013-03-11, 07:33 PM
Why do people think OotS are going to Xykons tomb thingie in the Astral Plane?
Because it's there.

That seems to be it, really. A lot of people think that Xykon having announced the existence of a dungeon to crawl through means the protagonists will at some point be required to crawl through it. I'm inclined, like you, to think "no" myself, but not so strongly that I'd bet money on it.

i6uuaq
2013-03-12, 02:38 AM
A sudden thought--What if Girard swings to nonmagic deception? Imagine maikng it through that trapped door, only to find 3-5 'gates' waiting for you.

That's a fun idea. And nice illusory snarls reaching out of each gate and killing anyone who goes too near. The real gate will be the one where no Snarl is reaching out.

Except you know that all the gates will be fake right? Fooling a league of paladins? Easy money. :smalltongue:

nonamearisto
2013-03-12, 06:34 AM
This is why subplots exist: if the main plot were the only thing, this story could be over in fifty or seventy pages from now. :smallbiggrin:

Besides the gates/"gateworld", the story still (might) have to resolve:

- Will Azure City be retaken?
- When/if will Redcloak turn on/be turned on by Xykon?
- What is the MitD?
- Will Elan take down Nale and Tarquin?
- Is V male or female?
- What happened to Gaanji and Enor?
- How/when will Belkar die?
- Will Durkon ever be raised and saved from his vampirism?
- Was Thog killed in the collapse of that arena?
- Will V ever be redeemed from his/her killing? And when will those fiends seize his/her soul, and what will they do with it when they take it for an hour or two?
- What happened to Ian and Geoff?
- When Belkar dies, what will happen to Mr. Scruffy? :smallwink:

SaintRidley
2013-03-12, 07:59 AM
That's a fun idea. And nice illusory snarls reaching out of each gate and killing anyone who goes too near. The real gate will be the one where no Snarl is reaching out.

Except you know that all the gates will be fake right? Fooling a league of paladins? Easy money. :smalltongue:

That wouldn't be a very smart way of doing it at all, what with the entire point of the Gate being to prevent the Snarl from reaching out of the rift. Any Snarls breaching Gates would be instantly ascertainable as false.

LuPuWei
2013-03-12, 08:20 AM
- When/if will Redcloak turn on/be turned on by Xykon?

Shouldn't that be for the fanfics to decide? :smallwink:

Crusher
2013-03-12, 08:38 AM

Just wanted to comment that this answer was friggin' awesome.

FlawedParadigm
2013-03-12, 08:52 AM
Oh...oh! The original world that was unmade by the Snarl and no longer exists was the First Edition of the Stickverse. The planet inside the Rift is the Second Edition. It was never destroyed like the First Edition, but everything had to go somewhere, right? Just like those outdated 2E monsters back in Dorukan's Dungeon, the 2E world itself is inside the rift. The monsters had to go somewhere, and all the places, things, and people who couldn't be converted to the 3E/3.5 edition of the word the comic focuses on all had to go somewhere too. Things destroyed by the Snarl aren't "unmade", they're converted to 2E and moved to the appropriate world. Of course since this makes them unreachable and incompatible with the main world, they would seem to be unmade...

Yeah, I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it but I don't read every single thread. Heck, it's probably already been shot down somewhere. But it was new to me.

Domino Quartz
2013-03-12, 11:39 PM
Oh...oh! The original world that was unmade by the Snarl and no longer exists was the First Edition of the Stickverse. The planet inside the Rift is the Second Edition. It was never destroyed like the First Edition, but everything had to go somewhere, right? Just like those outdated 2E monsters back in Dorukan's Dungeon, the 2E world itself is inside the rift. The monsters had to go somewhere, and all the places, things, and people who couldn't be converted to the 3E/3.5 edition of the word the comic focuses on all had to go somewhere too. Things destroyed by the Snarl aren't "unmade", they're converted to 2E and moved to the appropriate world. Of course since this makes them unreachable and incompatible with the main world, they would seem to be unmade...

Yeah, I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it but I don't read every single thread. Heck, it's probably already been shot down somewhere. But it was new to me.

Unfortunately for your theory,
Haley's dad was a First-Edition Thief. So it's pretty clear that it's just the currently existing world that's been updated. Besides, Rich has already said that this is not a game of D&D. Any references to this being 3.5E or stuff being from the first edition came before strip #100, so they probably shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Flame of Anor
2013-03-13, 12:06 AM
- Is V male or female?

I think the Giant has said he'll never tell.

Shouldn't that be for the fanfics to decide? :smallwink:

*slow clap*

Quite a cool idea, even if it doesn't quite work.

DrewDaGreek
2013-03-14, 09:05 AM
Don't forget the history of the Order of the Scribble and of Eric Greenhilt. We need to know what happens.

i6uuaq
2013-03-14, 10:20 AM
Don't forget the history of the Order of the Scribble and of Eric Greenhilt. We need to know what happens.

I think that these might not be crucial to the main plot though, so might not get into the main sequence of comics.

CWH10301964
2013-03-14, 10:46 AM
There's also The Very Definitely Final Dungeon (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheVeryDefinitelyFinalDungeon) that we got a sneak peak at in strip #0833 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0833.html) that will surely take up many strips.

And that's a book right there--as the OOTS searches for Xykon's "pkylactery" to destroy it.
Wouldn't that be a moment? Roy destroys the thing in Xykon's face and...

Roy: What?
Xykon: Whuh?
Roy: I...T don't under..
Xykon: Oh. That sneaky SOB. Oh well, we're done here. BYE! (POOF)
Roy' NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Gift Jeraff
2013-03-14, 11:36 AM

I don't know. The fact that we didn't even get a peak at Kraagor's Tomb (or the Gate, for that matter) gives it an aura of mystery appropriate for a final dungeon. Plus there's also the world within the world.

JustWantedToSay
2013-03-14, 12:59 PM
I don't know. The fact that we didn't even get a peak at Kraagor's Tomb (or the Gate, for that matter) gives it an aura of mystery appropriate for a final dungeon. Plus there's also the world within the world.

Whether or not it actually turns out to be the final dungeon, it's still a TVDFD as per how it was presented (Created by the big bad, outside of the regular world). I agree that it's possible if not likely to not be the final dungeon, but that would be called a 'subversion.'

On the otherhand if Kraagor's tomb turns out to be the final dungeon, and end of the comic, it has still been presented as a parity dungeon/event (the story presents gates as different but equal), and therefore doesn't qualify as TVDFD.
#trope-logic

----

But either way, the author chose that it was important enough to foreshadow, and thus is going to be part of the story in the future, even if the OotS never sets foot in it. It could be only the very final dungeon for redcloak vs xykon, for example.

SaintRidley
2013-03-14, 07:12 PM
And that's a book right there--as the OOTS searches for Xykon's "pkylactery" to destroy it.
Wouldn't that be a moment? Roy destroys the thing in Xykon's face and...

Roy: What?
Xykon: Whuh?
Roy: I...T don't under..
Xykon: Oh. That sneaky SOB. Oh well, we're done here. BYE! (POOF)
Roy' NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Yeah... Xykon wouldn't know anything's up from that because you still have to destroy the lich. Destroying the phylactery does nothing to Xykon except make it so he can't come back. So even if Roy destroyed the actual phylactery in front of Xykon, Xykon would not instantly be destroyed.

gerryq
2013-03-19, 09:20 PM
I suspect we will have much drama at Girard's Tomb, for at least a hundred strips, culminating in its destruction (likely by Belkar). Then the climax will happen at monster-filled Kraagor's Tomb.