PDA

View Full Version : Holy Water Elemental?

Uhtred
2013-03-09, 02:33 AM
Pretend for a second that I have a future encounter planned out involving rather a lot of vampires. Like, more than six. And a pretty inventive party that tends to think outside the box. If the Cleric summons an Elder Water Elemental, could he then, say, bless the gorram thing and turn it into a Holy Water Elemental which would then proceed to devastate the vampires? Is this a question that's been asked before?

dascarletm
2013-03-09, 02:35 AM
Pretend for a second that I have a future encounter planned out involving rather a lot of vampires. Like, more than six. And a pretty inventive party that tends to think outside the box. If the Cleric summons an Elder Water Elemental, could he then, say, bless the gorram thing and turn it into a Holy Water Elemental which would then proceed to devastate the vampires? Is this a question that's been asked before?

I'd let him, because of awesome, unless it was overdone. If it was overdone have an evil cleric neutralize his with an unholy water elemental.

ArcturusV
2013-03-09, 02:37 AM
I don't know if it could... I mean the amount you can bless in a single casting is less than a typical elemental. Might get it if you cast it a lot, a... lot. But what effect would it have? I mean considering Holy Water gets consumed on an attack it would basically only allow a single attack to use it. Might be able to rule that casting it once allows one of its slam attacks to get Holy Powered for a single attack.

dascarletm
2013-03-09, 02:41 AM
let it add holy water damage to its attacks until it has dealt as many attacks worth of holy water he/she would of made.

Darius Kane
2013-03-09, 02:48 AM
No. It's a creature, not water.

dascarletm
2013-03-09, 03:02 AM
custom spell your player invents: bless water elemental.

ahenobarbi
2013-03-09, 03:57 AM
Maybe once because of rule of cool. But I'd make it clear that it's one-time bonus for funny idea (and make it something like bonus holy water damage to slam attacks). Otherwise stuff like that can destroy what's left of game balance.

dascarletm
2013-03-09, 04:01 AM
Maybe once because of rule of cool. But I'd make it clear that it's one-time bonus for funny idea (and make it something like bonus holy water damage to slam attacks). Otherwise stuff like that can destroy what's left of game balance.

Yes, this.

molten_dragon
2013-03-09, 08:03 AM

By RAW it wouldn't work, since bless water specifically says it only makes one pint of holy water, not nearly enough to affect an elder water elemental.

I'd probably let him do it though, since it's a cool idea, and holy water only does an additional 2d4 damage, so it will hardly be overpowered.

AntiTrust
2013-03-09, 09:12 AM
If you can summon an elder water elemental whose to say one of the good planes doesn't have a holy water elemental. Ask the dm to add it.

jywu98
2013-03-09, 09:17 AM
If you can summon an elder water elemental whose to say one of the good planes doesn't have a holy water elemental. Ask the dm to add it.

Except the fact that Elder Water Elementals actually exist in the rules, unlike Holy Water Elementals?

AntiTrust
2013-03-09, 09:25 AM
Except the fact that Elder Water Elementals actually exist in the rules, unlike Holy Water Elementals?

Thats what the "ask the DM to add it" was for.

All I'm saying is simply ask the DM if they exist, sure they aren't in the book, but considering half the stuff you find in the MMs its hardly a stretch and there's no downside for asking.

GreenETC
2013-03-09, 09:52 AM
Now for everyone saying that you couldn't enchant the entire water elemental, or that you can't because it's a creature, what if they did it via Water Devotion and blessing the waterskin? Would that change anything mechanically?

Alefiend
2013-03-09, 10:50 AM
I'd be more inclined to allow it if the holy water came first—summon the elemental from a vat of holy water, and you've got a Holy Water Elemental. This gets around the volume problem and the issue of casting the spell on a creature. It screws up spontaneity though.

ahenobarbi
2013-03-09, 01:54 PM

I think OP is the DM and is asking forums opinion on the matter.

Morphie
2013-03-09, 03:02 PM
Why don't you give the elemental some paladin levels and allow him to cast bless weapon on himself?

Starshade
2013-03-09, 04:22 PM
Won't the players have to make awfully much Holy Water to significantly alter something that big? Perhaps if they made a wand of making holy water or something, and blew it entirely into it..

ngilop
2013-03-09, 04:35 PM
I am totally in Alefiend camp on this, if the water the elemental is formed from was holy to begin with, then yeah holy water elemental on those vampires. if he just summons one up and casts bless id say 'no. sorry cool idea though" then id explain the whole 'now if it was holy water you were creating the elemental from...'

pbdr
2013-03-09, 05:01 PM
I'd probably allow it (in particular, as was suggested before if the elemental was summoned from a vat of holy water). I wouldn't necessarily add additional damage but allow the elemental to overcome the vampire's DR instead.

KillianHawkeye
2013-03-09, 05:15 PM
I'd let them do it, but it would cost them a higher level spell slot. Kinda like an impromtu Heightened spell effect. Since it takes a 9th level spell to summon an Elder Elemental, I'd say a minimum of 6th level to do the elemental of Holy Water trick.

Morphie
2013-03-09, 06:35 PM
Oh, it's a summon... I think you could come up with a feat, something like "Bless Spell" and, when used with Summon Elemental, would bring the Holy Water Elemental into the field. Besides that, I don't know how it would work.
Now I'm curious...

otakumick
2013-03-09, 10:32 PM
Consecrate spell... and purify spell... meta magic from book of exalted deeds
prolly shouldn't work in conjunction with summon spells or bless water... so use both on both to make a holy water elemental with the (what?...What?...What!) subtype

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-10, 01:14 AM

This again. Reward ingenuity, but don't let it break the game.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-03-10, 01:26 AM
Sanctify Water feat, from Stormwrack. Lets you turn all water within a 20' radius holy for 1+Charisma modifier rounds if you expend a TU use.

I'd probably allow it (for the same duration) if the caster was standing adjacent to the Elemental.

hamishspence
2013-03-10, 03:31 AM
In the Starlight & Shadows series of D&D novels by Elaine Cunningham, we do get to see (in book 2: Tangled Webs) a pair of water elementals summoned from a whole bunch of ale vats (in order to safely get a pair of sea elves to the water). Result- ale elementals- the sea elves are somewhat drunk afterward.

So I would allow modifications based on the "water" the elementals were summoned from.

karkus
2013-03-10, 04:14 AM

I know it's been said a few other times in this same thread, but this.

Honestly, if you just can't live with this, though, and need to power it down somehow, use the 3-or-so feats involved with purifying spells and water mentioned above me to do the trick.

In addition to their natural attacks dealing an extra 2d4 points of holy damage, give them something along the lines of ignoring DR/SR, or for a bit of something more interesting, reduce either or both by 2d4 for the rest of the round. If they are swamped by vampires, it is already an overpowered adventure. Which is not to say that you should scrap the idea or even power it down some, but rather that these Holy Water Elementals can take care of the hordes of undead while the PCs deal with bigger threats; adding the elementals greatly balances out this adventure.

dspeyer
2013-03-10, 08:31 PM
A week later, the water elemental plane-shifts to the party to beg them to remove the enchantment. Being holy has prevented him from fitting in to water elemental society. Water in his presence tries to flow justly and compassionately instead of downhill, and the hydrological cycle is falling apart as a result.

Uhtred
2013-03-10, 08:37 PM
A week later, the water elemental plane-shifts to the party to beg them to remove the enchantment. Being holy has prevented him from fitting in to water elemental society. Water in his presence tries to flow justly and compassionately instead of downhill, and the hydrological cycle is falling apart as a result.

The other Water Elementals see him as a Chosen One, as a righteous messiah to lead them against the Ice Elementals and Steam Elementals and claim their rightful place as sanctified rulers of the Elemental Plane of Water. I picture a Life of Brian moment where he says "I am NOT the messiah!" "The messiah is humble, and denies that he is the messiah! That means he's the messiah!" "Uh...then I AM the messiah?" "We knew it! He IS the messiah!" "Those freakin' adventurers..."

ericgrau
2013-03-10, 10:37 PM
Make it deal bonus damage similar to a fire elemental, but instead the bonus damage only applies to undead and evil outsiders. Likewise it deals the same damage to those that attack with natural weapons.

Make up a custom spell, figure out a fair price and you're good to go.