PDA

View Full Version : Undead Warlock Build

Iakerav
2013-03-09, 11:49 AM
Hello community,
we are starting a new campaign and i would like to create an undead (formerly human) warlock.
The above, due to no Con 'cause of undead state, makes me unable to take Hellfire Warlock as a Prestige Class, so i am open to some suggestions.

In terms of rp i want to include something demonic (thinking of Demonbinder).
The characters in the campaign will start at 15 lvl and we will progress beyond epic levels.

Can you kindly give me any tips concerning invocations, feats, prestige classes etc. ?

Thank you :)

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-03-09, 11:54 AM
Warlock6/Mindbender1/Chameleon2/Warlock6

You get the following tricks:

13/15 invocation progression.
Mindsight (from Lords of Madness) with your Telepathy 100' from Mindbender makes you a party radar, being able to detect most threats from far enough away to be relevant.
Floating feat from Chameleon
Warlock12 makes you a Magic Item Mart for your party. Basically, you can craft 99% of the items in the game with this and your floating feat, which can be a bonus invocation that you can change on a daily basis when actually adventuring.

Now then, for a build like this, you are probably wanting to go with battlefield control and Save or Lose invocations, which means you'll want to pump your Charisma. However, things like Beshadowed Blast, Nauseating Blast, Hindering Blast... can really turn the tide of an encounter, particularly if you have Eldritch Chain or Eldritch Cone so you can apply it to multiple targets simultaneously. Also don't forget Chilling Tentacles.

You can now go into whatever PrC's you qualify for, as long as they advance your invocations.

Iakerav
2013-03-10, 05:08 PM
Thank you very much for your reply.

Being a custom campaign i already have telepathy from a magic item and we will have enough money not to need to create magic items.

So, i am able to get Mindsight without dipping into mindbender.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated....!

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-03-10, 06:45 PM
Thank you very much for your reply.

Being a custom campaign i already have telepathy from a magic item and we will have enough money not to need to create magic items.

So, i am able to get Mindsight without dipping into mindbender.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated....!

Technically, an item will not qualify you for Mindsight because it requires Telepathy as an Ex or Su ability. Thus a class ability works, but items don't.

Mindbender is generally used because it still advances your invocations, so you don't really lose anything by taking it. But hey, if your GM lets you get away with it, score.

Unfortunately, because WoTC decided to rain all over the Warlock's parade and give it piss-all support or back-porting, there aren't many options available to you.

The only thing I could think of would be picking up a couple of levels in UrPriest (from Complete divine), then picking up Eldritch Theurge.

Thus, your build would look like Warlock-x/UrPriest2/Eldritch Theurge10/Warlock to cap.

Basically, you get 9th level spells around two to three levels sooner than anyone else, plus up to Dark invocations, and a decent flavor of 'screw the multiverse, I'll cheat all the uber-powerful beings into giving me power! This can only end in success!'

ZamielVanWeber
2013-03-10, 10:04 PM
While not super strong, Eldritch Disciple is also cool. If you pick Evening Glory you can get access to the ever fun Healing Blast while being undead.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-03-11, 07:24 AM
While not super strong, Eldritch Disciple is also cool. If you pick Evening Glory you can get access to the ever fun Healing Blast while being undead.

Healing Blast requires non-evil, UrPriest requires Evil. So if you want your 9th level spells and your dark invocations, you won't be picking it up. Not that it is necessary, since it's limited to your turn attempts.

Alienist
2013-03-11, 10:44 AM
There's an eberron prestige class called Escalation Mage which works really well with Warlocks. Its abilities explicitly work with SLAs.

Iakerav
2013-03-14, 01:32 PM
i am thinking of getting a few levels (3 actually) in Defiant from the Planar Handbook just to get divine immunity.

I am thinking of killing a few clerics along the way...! ;)

in addition i am thinking of becoming a lich...is it worth it ?

Andezzar
2013-03-14, 03:02 PM
in addition i am thinking of becoming a lich...is it worth it ?You cannot become a lich if you are already undead. Additionally since a warlock cannot cast spells you cannot create the phylactery and are thus prohibited from becoming a lich, even if you weren't undead before. If you multiclassed into a class that casts spells you could become a lich.

Fouredged Sword
2013-03-15, 07:45 AM
Actually you can become a lich. PAO is your friend. You get most the cool abilities short of the reviving if killed.

jedipilot24
2013-03-15, 07:58 AM
Here's the Savage Progressions for the Lich (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031212a). It doesn't say anything about not being able to take it if you are already Undead.