PDA

View Full Version : E6 touch attack

Kornaki
2013-03-09, 12:43 PM
We're playing E6... one of my players is a rogue and wants to have a touch attack. His solution? For his sixth level he's taking dread necromancer for their 1d8 damage touch attack. His charisma modifier is negative, so he can't even cast spells! :smallconfused:

Can someone suggest a better way to get melee touch attacks please?

Fable Wright
2013-03-09, 01:02 PM
Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Whip, using the Whip-Dagger from Arms and Equipment guide. It's 3.0, but it's basically the whip, which uses touch attacks, dealing 1d6 lethal slashing damage and has a 19-20 crit range.

Alternatively, Pyrokineticist.

Glimbur
2013-03-09, 01:15 PM
Warlock with Hideous Blow. The only problem (in this case) is that it provokes. The other problem is that this doesn't do what you want at all. Oops.

SamBurke
2013-03-09, 01:21 PM
We're playing E6... one of my players is a rogue and wants to have a touch attack. His solution? For his sixth level he's taking dread necromancer for their 1d8 damage touch attack. His charisma modifier is negative, so he can't even cast spells! :smallconfused:

I don't see what the problem is. It does OK for his build, and he's aware that he's not getting the benefits. Obviously, you can suggest to him other touch attacks, but at the end of the day, it gets him what he wants.

TaiLiu
2013-03-09, 01:23 PM
If the player has ranks in UMD, purchase a wand if Shocking Grasp and the ilk.

Person_Man
2013-03-09, 01:28 PM
Razor Net. An exotic weapon from Dragon Compendium, p. 115. It's a thrown weapon, so you can use one per attack action (assuming you have Quickdraw, Kimono of Storing, Gloves of Storing, Eager weapon enhancements, etc) instead of one per round (like most Standard Action touch attacks). It deals 1d6 damage, and it imposes a -2 to attack rolls, -4 to Dex, 1/2 movement, the enemy can’t charge or run, and if you have a trailing rope they have to make a Str check to move away from you. (Although these effects don't stack if you hit the same enemy with it multiple times, since they'd be from the same source).

I wouldn't even bother with Exotic Weapon Proficiency, since it's usually pretty easy for a Dex based character to hit with a ranged touch attack. But if he does, then I suggest he spend his 6th level on Master of Masks, so he can get proficiency with all exotic weapons, which would be useful (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633).

Starbuck_II
2013-03-09, 01:40 PM

Binder? They have a 1d6 fire touch attack is they bind Aym I think.
Cha mod negatibve just means he has to show sign and stuff likely (bad binding)
He also has a fireshield effect (1d6 fire to anyone attacking him). Can move at normal speed in med/heavy armor. Improved sunder and melee attacks deal double to objects. Proficiency with Med armor.

Zonugal
2013-03-09, 02:43 PM

Warlock? Have him pick up Eldritch Glaive out of Dragon Magic and now he'll not only have a melee touch attack ability but also a ranged one via the standard Eldritch Blast. Also Warlock isn't stat dependent.

The other way might be for him to dip a level in Swordsage or Warblade, and grab the Emerald Razor maneuver (in addition to a couple other sweet maneuvers).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-03-09, 02:58 PM
A level of Martial Wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard), specialize in Conjuration for Abrupt Jaunt, get a Wand of Wraithstrike and put it in a wand chamber of his weapon. Spend all his spell slots on Nerveskitter and Benign Transposition.

8wGremlin
2013-03-09, 03:19 PM
he could just use Magic of Incarnum.

Take either a level in a meldshaping class (totemist/incarnate)

or take the feat shape soulmeld pick:

Dissolving Spittle has a Ranged touch attack that does acid
or
Lightning gauntlets, melee touch attack that does electric (as standard action)

You could also get Claws of the Wyrm (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=4) this wouldn't get you a melee touch attack, it does provide you with 2 attacks a round.

if you did take a meldshapping class, you can easily add more essential and open up chakra's with open least chakra (crown, feet, hands) and some soulmelds add greatly to the rogues skillset.

Zombimode
2013-03-09, 05:09 PM
The feat Deep Impact (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#deepImpact) lets you make a melee attack as a touch attack by expending your psionic focus. Requires another feat and having a Power Point reserve. At least, the prerequisite feat (Psionic Weapon) is useful in E6.

The maneuver Emerald Razor is 2nd level, so technically available to all characters in E6 (for Swordsages and Warblades at level 3, for Crusaders at level 3 via feat, and for all others at level 6 via feat).

limejuicepowder
2013-03-09, 05:52 PM
I second (or third, I wasn't counting) warlock. If he's OK with only having a ranged touch attack and doesn't waste it on hideous blow, there are a lot of useful lessor invocations for a rogue. See the Unseen and Leaps and Bounds are both obvious, and the darkness one is good when combined with some of the feats from DotU.

Kornaki
2013-03-09, 11:38 PM
Thanks for all the different suggestions guys!

Alienist
2013-03-09, 11:52 PM
Druid 1 gets lots of that sort of thing, starting with Produce Flame. Oh wait, I'm thinking of the Pathfinder Druid, where they can take a domain instead of a companion.

There are lots of low level touch spells though. Chilling Grasp as well as the aforementioned Shocking Grasp. If he takes that one feat (Practiced Spellcaster?) he can pump his caster level up to 5.