PDA

View Full Version : Revenant (4e to 3.5e Conversion, Playable Undead, PEACH)

LOTRfan
2013-03-09, 02:35 PM
Revenant, 4th Level Wood Elf Fighter
Medium Undead (Augmented Humanoid)
Hit Dice: 4d12+8 (34 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (+2 Dex, +2 natural, +1 Dodge, +3 studded leather), touch 13, flatfooted 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+5
Attack: Short sword +5 melee (1d6+1 plus 1d8 negative damage)
Full Attack: Short sword +5 melee (1d6+1 plus 1d8 negative damage), or composite longbow +6 ranged (1d8+1)
Special Attacks: Necrotic Surge
Special Qualities: +2 Turn Resistance, Darkvision 60 ft., Lowlight vision, Undead Traits, Unholy Toughness, Vulnerability to Silvered Weapons
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +1
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 15, Con ---, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 14
Skills: Intimidate +9, Hide +9, Spot +6
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Initiative, Cleave, Great Cleave, Dodge
Environment: Temperate Forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Neutral
Advancement: By character class

A gray-skinned elf charges from the darkness. With an almost unnatural swiftness, he dodges your blow and touches you with a glowing black hand.

Necrotic Surge (Su): Once per encounter, when attacking an opponent unarmed, with a natural weapon, or with a light weapon, a Revenant can chose to release a burst of negative energy that causes 2d8 damage against living creatures. A Revenant can also spend these uses to heal an undead creature (including himself) the same amount. Revenants do not heal hit point damage naturally.

Unholy Toughness (Ex): A Revenant gains a bonus to his hit points equal to its Charisma modifier x its Hit Dice.

Vulnerability to Silvered Weapons: A Revenant’s flesh burns at the touch of silver, and as a result Revenants take an additional 50% damage from weapons made out of the material.

Undead Traits: Immunity to all mind-affecting effects, poison, disease, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, and death effects. Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, energy drain, or anything requiring a Fortitude save. Use Charisma score for Concentration checks. Immediately destroyed upon reaching 0 hp, and cannot be affected by raise or reincarnate. Darkvision 60 ft.

Skills: +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.

In very rare cases where great injustice resulting in the death of an individual has been done, the individual may rise from the grave. These ensouled undead, who spontaneously arise somewhere between three months and a year after death, do not know who brought them back (or even how they were brought back), though most are happy to have the chance to right what wronged them. Revenants are animated by negative energy, but they retain their souls. As a result, Revenants initially have the same personality and alignment that they had in life, though there are cases of Revenants being completely consumed by their desire for vengeance and twisting into evil.

If a Revenant dies before they achieve justice (or vengeance, as the case may be), they will awaken again the following year. Between that time and his death, however, a Revenant can be raised from the dead. Using any spell less powerful than a True Resurrection spell has a 10% chance of creating an Unrisen instead. Unrisen are creatures that come back from the dead “tainted” due to a botched attempt at resurrection. An Unrisen is very similar to a Revenant, except it does not have a soul (and thus has an Evil alignment and a twisted personality that only mirrors the one they had in life).

Revenants appear very similar to what they looked like in life, with the exception that their skin is more ashen and their eyes are a very unnatural color. Normally, their eyes are completely black with the exception of a red pupil, but other colors (like gold, white, and silver) may be exhibited instead. Their hair tends to become a faded black or a very striking white, and their fingers end in small, black claw-like nails.

The Revenant presented here had the following statistics before racial adjustments: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 8, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 12. This Revenant uses a variant Fighter class that gains a number of skill points per round equal to (4 + INT).

Creating a Revenant
“Revenant” is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid, monstrous humanoid, or giant (henceforth known as the “base creature”). A Revenant has all the statistics of the base creature, with the following exceptions;

Size and Type: A Revenant becomes Undead with the (augmented) subtype. Do not recalculate base attack bonus, saving throws, or skill points. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice: Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12.

Armor Class: The base creature’s armor class increases by +2.

Special Attacks: Revenants get the following Special Attacks;

Necrotic Surge (Su): Once per encounter, when attacking an opponent unarmed, with a natural weapon, or with a light weapon, a Revenant can chose to release a burst of negative energy that causes 1d8 damage against living creatures for every two Hit Die the Revenant has (rounding down). A Revenant can also spend these uses to heal an undead creature (including himself) the same amount. Revenants do not heal hit point damage naturally.

Special Qualities: Revenants get the following Special Qualities;

Turn Resistance (Ex): A Revenant gets +2 Turn Resistance.

Unholy Toughness (Ex): A Revenant gains a bonus to his hit points equal to its Charisma modifier x its Hit Dice.

Vulnerability to Silvered Weapons: A Revenant’s flesh burns at the touch of silver, and as a result Revenants take an additional 50% damage from weapons made out of the material.

Undead Traits: Immunity to all mind-affecting effects, poison, disease, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, and death effects. Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, energy drain, or anything requiring a Fortitude save. Use Charisma score for Concentration checks. Immediately destroyed upon reaching 0 hp, and cannot be affected by raise or reincarnate.

Abilities: Increase the base creature’s ability scores as follows; Dex +2, Wisdom +2, Charisma +2. A Revenant does not have a Constitution score.

Environment: Any, usually same as base creature.

Challenge Rating: As base creature +1

Alignment: Usually as base creature

Advancement: As base creature.

Level Adjustment: As base creature +2.

Silva Stormrage
2013-03-09, 07:26 PM
Hm, I am not sure it is quite worth +2 level adjustment. It is more powerful than lvl +1 just due to the unholy toughness. I would suggest adding slightly more stat bonuses. Maybe +2 Strength? Also you didn't quite note that their con changes to -.

For Necrotic Surge. I think this is really weak and basically useless. Once per round dealing an additional 1d8 is pathetically weak. Make it 1d8/2 HD.

Also just from a game design perspective you might want to increase turn resistance by +2 instead of +1. PC's hate things that automatically control/fear their characters no save :smalltongue:

You also might want to add a ritual or a way for players to actually get this race. Something like the necropolitain's ritual in Libris Mortis.

Overall a very interesting race.

LOTRfan
2013-03-09, 08:46 PM
Hm, I am not sure it is quite worth +2 level adjustment. It is more powerful than lvl +1 just due to the unholy toughness. I would suggest adding slightly more stat bonuses. Maybe +2 Strength? Also you didn't quite note that their con changes to -.

Maybe I'll add a +2 to Wisdom in order to show how their senses are supernaturally augmented by the transformation? And oh, you're right! I'm sorry, I should make sure that I specify that.

For Necrotic Surge. I think this is really weak and basically useless. Once per round dealing an additional 1d8 is pathetically weak. Make it 1d8/2 HD.

That's a pretty good idea. I'll reword it right now.

Also just from a game design perspective you might want to increase turn resistance by +2 instead of +1. PC's hate things that automatically control/fear their characters no save :smalltongue:

I was sort of concerned about granting them the same amount of Turn Resistance as a Vampire, but that's a good point as well. I'll change that too. :smallsmile:

You also might want to add a ritual or a way for players to actually get this race. Something like the necropolitain's ritual in Libris Mortis.

Overall a very interesting race.

This is pretty much the only thing that I don't really agree with. The Revenants are just supposed to spontaneously rise, and part of their concept is that they don't really know how/why they have returned to the world of the living. I figure a player would either start out with this template or might work something out with the DM if their character died.

Thank you for your PEACH. :smallsmile:

Silva Stormrage
2013-03-09, 09:15 PM
I was sort of concerned about granting them the same amount of Turn Resistance as a Vampire, but that's a good point as well. I'll change that too. :smallsmile:

This is pretty much the only thing that I don't really agree with. The Revenants are just supposed to spontaneously rise, and part of their concept is that they don't really know how/why they have returned to the world of the living. I figure a player would either start out with this template or might work something out with the DM if their character died.

Thank you for your PEACH. :smallsmile:

Vampires actually have +4 turn resistance so they are still less resistant than vampires.

For the ritual part, fair point for their fluff. I was thinking more along the lines of someone is crippled horribly by some villain then willingly undergoing this ritual to become undead to remove the injury. But I can see the only rise through spontaneous urges for vengeance too.

LOTRfan
2013-03-09, 09:45 PM
Oh, wow. My mistake, I must have been thinking at another undead template when I was thinking about the turn resistance.