PDA

View Full Version : Holy sword/shield knight help

Haluesen
2013-03-09, 03:27 PM
Alright, first time making a thread here in the playground, let's do this!

Okay I am making a character for story purposes and really want some help from anyone who can setting this guy up. This is mostly as a hobby/just for fun sort of thing, so there aren't very many rules. It is mostly a strong concept I want to get going.

-The character is a prince banished from his lands, a holy knight in shining armor sort of guy. I want to make him an effective sword and shield user, and potential some sort of divine powers whether that is spells or extraordinary powers. He will be between levels 5 and 8 for the start of his tale, gestalt character. Again, this is mostly just a set up for fun, though if I ever do put him in a campaign I will be using this as a baseline.

-The character will be strictly 3.5, and I have access to a long list of books which means a lot of options plus I guess whatever is easily at hand online. Really I am just bad at making choices when there are so many options available to me, and I haven't played long enough to be good at optimizing a character.

-That above said, I am not aiming for a character that is overpowered, just generally very effective. Haven't rolled stats yet though. Concept and RP more important than statistics.

And so, yeah. Anyone have good interesting ideas?

RMS Oceanic
2013-03-09, 03:35 PM
A simple holy warrior without getting too obscure would probably be a Paladin//Cleric. A Paladin is the classic holy knight character, while backing it up with the Cleric gives him a better range of spells to use.

If you go with this, the one obscure-ish feat I'd recommend is Dragon Compendium's Serentiy. All the Paladin's Charisma-based abilities use Wisdom instead, dropping the number of stats you need to worry about elevating.

Xerxus
2013-03-09, 03:38 PM
Fighter/Cleric?

Haluesen
2013-03-09, 03:41 PM
@RMS Oceanic: I suppose the idea works. I've always been wary of the Paladin, their smite ability has just never been favorable to me. But a small dip into it or a prestige class that builds on it could work... :smallbiggrin:

@Could possibly work. It is already sounding like cleric is my best option for him, even just a bit of it.

Xerxus
2013-03-09, 03:43 PM
Or Favored Soul/Fighter, for a more thematic feel. A cleric is supposed to be a clergyman.

Komatik
2013-03-09, 03:46 PM
Crusader or just straight melee Cleric. Both?

Fates
2013-03-09, 03:57 PM
You could alternatively use a knight (Player's Handbook II) rather than a fighter or paladin for any of those options. They're generally regarded as somewhat weak (slightly above paladin), but I've always liked the class anyway- it's got very good flavor, and their code of honour is less restrictive than a paladin's (IE it doesn't really matter how your allies act). They get a few abilities to do with challenging people to single combat, etc, and get mounted combat and a bonus to AC when using shields.

Haluesen
2013-03-09, 04:05 PM
Hmm certainly all interesting options..it is just very hard to decide. But that at least narrows down the choices somewhat. I think I might prefer knight to paladin, but crusader would definitely be different. I've never tried to ToB options.