PDA

View Full Version : How much would this cost?

Exie
2013-03-09, 07:15 PM
I'm trying to figure out how much a custom item would cost to replace my strength bonus to melee damage into wisdom. I'm playing a SAD Wisdom "holy warrior" kinda build, and don't have turn attempts.

Sooo how would you math it to change str bonus into wis bonus?

Crake
2013-03-09, 08:03 PM
wis to hit would be pretty cheap as it just emulates a feat, but wis to damage? I cant think of any way to price that

The Trickster
2013-03-09, 08:53 PM
Oooo I know I saw somewhere (arms and equipment maybe?) that went over this. Something like 10k base cost for an item that gives a feat, plus 10k fir each prerequisite feat.

What you are suggesting is like weapon finesse, except it is wisdom based and changes the damage output, not the attack roll. Weapon finesse has a prerequisite of +1 BAB. So for your feat, thats a base of 20k gold.

The question here is how much more important is damage compared to accuracy? Twice the importance perhap? That would put you at maybe 40k, but who knows. Maybe it is less important. I guess it would depend on the game you are in.

Ellrin
2013-03-09, 09:15 PM
I think it depends somewhat on precendent. There aren't a lot of ways in 3.5 to change which stat your damage is coming from, so this goes beyond a simple feat, I think. The only thing that directly corresponds to this in particular that I can think of is that one PrC in OA (can't recall the name offhand) that applies your Wis bonus to attack and damage rolls. It should probably be pretty damn expensive--I'd put a price of at least 100K on something like that, and way more than that if it adds your Wis bonus to attack rolls, too.

ericgrau
2013-03-09, 09:23 PM
Well, X to Y is a good way to cheese something for cheap. But other things are D&D are priced assuming a high level character will exploit it to the fullest. So... assume 30 wis. But with mixed stats you could get at least a 20 str pretty easily even as a secondary stat. So that's a +10 difference. Only applies to damage so it's worth about the same as a +2 to hit & damage, which is worth about a +4 to strength. Upgrading a +4 item to a +8 item, ignoring epic cost bumps, would cost 96k.

So around 100k sounds about right. If your group allows a lot of X to Y cheese then I'd make it quite a bit cheaper than that.

Eric Scott
2013-03-09, 09:26 PM
I'd say somewhere in the price range of 28.5k... thought probably quite a bit more.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-03-09, 09:31 PM
I feel like 100k is too expensive, I think that 35-40k is probably right. 5k for the feat emulation(based off location feat pricing) and ~30k seems about right for wis to damage. This isn't really a cheesy item and X to Y isn't very cheesy. I wouldn't consider this a very powerful item. (another way to look at the pricing would be to compare it to a monk's belt. Since enchanting armor costs the same as a weapon you could argue that it should cost the same as an item that adds to your AC. However I'd say that offense is worth 2-3 times as much as AC so based off the monk's belt I'd say 24k-36k)

Exie
2013-03-10, 07:08 PM
The character is a SAD celestial warrior who gets wis to hp, ac/touch/flatfooted, all saves twice, to-hit, and bonus damage. But even though she has the bonus wisdom to damage, she's taking -2 damage (with a 2h greatsword) from having the strength as the base ability score.

She doesn't have any casting or turn attempts, which are the only ways (that I can find) to change her base score from str to wis. She's lvl 8 atm, and is maybe a mid/high tier 4 build. She's the only character that will ever use this item.

So the 100k price doesn't seem reasonable to me as the DM; she's not going to abuse it enough to matter compared to, say, any caster ever. She's also the least optimized character in the party. the 20-50k range seems more reasonable, but narrowing it down would be awesome. Any of that help?

Douglas
2013-03-10, 07:19 PM
Pathfinder has this as a +1 weapon property (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapons-non-core/weapon-property---guided).

Exie
2013-03-10, 07:41 PM
That seems a bit powerful, since its a feat (change to-hit) plus the wis/str switch for damage. It's a good baseline though, I can try to modify it to balance with 3.5 some. Any other options being dug up? :p

ericgrau
2013-03-10, 10:16 PM
100k assumes a high level character, so that's why so much. A weapon property is a nice idea because it lets the ability scale with the character, so that the price is lower at lower levels.

Earlier I figured it was worth about the same as a +2 to hit and damage, so make it a +2 weapon property. Though even that doesn't fully apply until later. Perhaps you could have a lesser version as a +1 that has a wis limit, and a greater version as a +2. The lesser version could be upgraded to the greater by paying the difference. I'd say 24 wis, or a 7 mod, is a good limit on the lesser because it's hard to go above 24 wis before ~level 6-8. And because the increase in damage from the SAD is roughly halfway to what it will be later. If anyone exceeds that limit you treat them as if he has a 24 str rather than str = wis for the purposes of figuring out damage.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-03-10, 10:21 PM
I think it depends somewhat on precendent. There aren't a lot of ways in 3.5 to change which stat your damage is coming from, so this goes beyond a simple feat, I think. The only thing that directly corresponds to this in particular that I can think of is that one PrC in OA (can't recall the name offhand) that applies your Wis bonus to attack and damage rolls. It should probably be pretty damn expensive--I'd put a price of at least 100K on something like that, and way more than that if it adds your Wis bonus to attack rolls, too.

Shiba Protector is the PrC that you're looking for.

Ellrin
2013-03-10, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I looked it up afterwards. I was just afb and didn't want to bother googling. Thanks, though.

Miriad
2013-03-10, 11:43 PM
Magic of Rokugan has the Hammer of Earth that adds Con Modifier to Damage rolls. It is priced at 9000 koku which converts to 18000 GP.

You could take this and add the cost of Weapon Finesse Feat on a weapon to make it 28-38k gold on a weapon.

Exie
2013-03-11, 12:19 AM
She already has wis to hit, just needs the damage. So we're looking at a +1 (lesser) and +2 (greater) weapon mod, or a unique +1 that costs 18k.

And to be clear, I'm not looking to add a wisdom modifier on top of what she does; but swap strength for wisdom for the base stat (already get a bonus wis to damage from class abilities).

Exie
2013-03-11, 12:32 AM
I think I'll just drop a +1 greatsword of Guidance in her hand when she can appropriately afford it. +1 weapon that lets you deal damage with wisdom instead of strength, up to +7 (no 1.5 for two hand).

Then later she can make it better with an additional +1 (?) bonus to remove the wisdom limit, and another bonus to allow x1.5 for two handed.