PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a custom spell

Syrinth
2013-03-10, 12:34 AM
One of my players wants to make a few custom cleric spells and has presented me with the following:

Renew Vigour
Necromancy (Healing)

Level: 2
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Living Creature Touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fort Negates (Harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (Harmless)

The touched creature is given a second wind, relieving them of dyspepsia, shock, or fatigue and removing 1d6+1/level hit points (max +5).

Renew vigour also instantly cures a subject of one of the following conditions: Dazed, Exhausted, Fatigued, Nauseated, Sickened, or Stunned.

I think it looks about right, but may be a bit too weak for a level 2 spell. Thoughts?

Side note: In my games we've houseruled healing back to Necromancy instead of Conjuration.

Thump
2013-03-10, 12:44 AM
It looks pretty standard for a second level spell, but maybe making it remove one condition per four caster levels or somesuch could be interesting IMO. Panacea is a 4th level spell, so once you get to 7th level, it is about half as effective for two slots lower. I'd say it looks good.

EDIT: Panacea also treats many more conditions, so a high level caster casting this should be able to treat the small array of conditions all at once, even if with just a 2nd-level slot.

inuyasha
2013-03-10, 12:45 AM
shouldnt this be in the homebrew section?

Syrinth
2013-03-10, 12:46 AM
Oh drat, sorry. I thought there was a homebrew but didn't see it. That's what I get for posting past midnight. >.<

tilionvevfet
2013-03-10, 12:49 AM
The touched creature is given a second wind, relieving them of dyspepsia, shock, or fatigue and removing 1d6+1/level hit points (max +5).

*nitpick* I read this as meaning it deals damage.

On the spell itself, healing 4-9 damage when you get it and at most 6-11 is (as with all healing spells) very underwhelming. However, removing one of those conditions can be very helpful.

I would make it a 1st level spell, keep the condition healing, and remove the HP healing.

inuyasha
2013-03-10, 01:05 AM
Oh drat, sorry. I thought there was a homebrew but didn't see it. That's what I get for posting past midnight. >.<

no problem bro :smallwink:

dascarletm
2013-03-10, 05:08 AM
Well, would it really be homebrew? there is rules for characters inventing spells.

Spell development is core.

SowZ
2013-03-10, 05:15 AM
Agreed that the removing HP wording is confusing. It isn't overpowered, so it doesn't look like your player is trying to squeeze leverage out of you. I'd let him do it, but I'd probably try and help him beef up the spell just a tad.

TuggyNE
2013-03-10, 05:58 AM
Well, would it really be homebrew? there is rules for characters inventing spells.

Spell development is core.

The general custom on these boards is to put such spells in homebrew anyway; since custom-researched spells need DM approval, you might as well stick it in a place they'll get lots of comments and fixing, no?

Daftendirekt
2013-03-10, 08:23 AM
One of my players wants to make a few custom cleric spells and has presented me with the following:

Renew Vigour
Necromancy (Healing)

Level: 2
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Living Creature Touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fort Negates (Harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (Harmless)

Renew vigour also instantly cures a subject of one of the following conditions: Dazed, Exhausted, Fatigued, Nauseated, Sickened, or Stunned.

I think it looks about right, but may be a bit too weak for a level 2 spell. Thoughts?

Side note: In my games we've houseruled healing back to Necromancy instead of Conjuration.

Well, compare it to the 1st level PF spell Infernal Healing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/infernal-healing) that heals a flat 10 damage every time. Yours removes conditions as well, which I think is only fair as it's a spell level higher. The healing quickly loses its usefulness at higher levels, but being able to remove a decent list of conditions is always relevant. Assuming this would go on the sorc/wiz list (clerics already have plenty of spells of this nature that are better), I see nothing wrong with it apart from the confusing "remove hitpoints" portion already mentioned by others.