PDA

View Full Version : Holy cow! What are the odds?!

An Enemy Spy
2013-03-10, 01:22 AM
Guys! Guys! I just went on to a website and discovered that I'm the millionth visitor! And now all I have to do is give my credit card information to win a cash prize. I was just wondering, what should I do with the money?

Grinner
2013-03-10, 01:24 AM
Install Ad-block? :smalltongue:

PallElendro
2013-03-10, 01:28 AM
You could get an advanced membership to Microsoft Active Protection Service.

Flame of Anor
2013-03-10, 04:58 AM
If you were the millionth visitor, then the odds must be one in a million!

That is to say, a sure thing. Which seems pretty likely, actually.

Asta Kask
2013-03-10, 06:24 AM
I have some swampland lovely pasture I can sell you.

The Succubus
2013-03-10, 06:28 AM
Obligatory XKCD strip:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/new_car.png

Urist
2013-03-10, 10:36 AM
Did they also offer you a MASSIVE YACHT?

Haruki-kun
2013-03-10, 03:55 PM
Awww, man, you're so lucky. I never get to be the one millionth visitor to any website. But I have come across a lot of hot singles in my area who insist on trying to meet me. And once I think I my have won an xBox.

nedz
2013-03-10, 04:06 PM
I've lost track of how many times I've been the millionth visitor to various websites, often it's the same website I was the millionth visitor to the last time I was there, and the time before that too.

On a completely unrelated note, is anyone interested in buying this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_Bridge) bridge from me ?

Drakeburn
2013-03-10, 04:10 PM
Guys! Guys! I just went on to a website and discovered that I'm the millionth visitor! And now all I have to do is give my credit card information to win a cash prize. I was just wondering, what should I do with the money?

Don't do it. It is very likely that it is a scam.

Mutant Sheep
2013-03-10, 04:13 PM

That is the joke, my friend.

Crimmy
2013-03-10, 04:29 PM

Someone here needs to learn the meaning of sarcasm.
Wonder who that is.

Drakeburn
2013-03-10, 04:35 PM
Someone here needs to learn the meaning of sarcasm.
Wonder who that is.

Lol. With the internet, it is sort of hard to tell.

Crimmy
2013-03-10, 04:41 PM

In the wise words of Serpie: "That's what the sarcasm mark is for".

By the way, the sarcasm marks is this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/Ironie-Larousse-1897-p329.png

Temotei
2013-03-11, 01:10 AM

Darn. I thought you were joking with your first post and making everyone think you were serious for the lulz.

Oh well. :smalltongue:

Killer Angel
2013-03-11, 02:54 AM

Ohhh, what a coincidence! Me too!
I suppose there are a lot of websites out there... but who knows, maybe it was the same one. :smalltongue:

GnomeFighter
2013-03-11, 06:24 AM

Dear Mr An Sir,

How fortuitous nad lucky it is that I should happen upon you today for I have an unmissable Investment opportunity For your lucky win. First of all, let me introduce myself, I am Prince Sambal Ngeri of Nigeria. You may have heard of the recent death of my father and the large (£10 billion dollar) he has left to me. Unfortunatly this whole Fortune is currently held in trust and requires the payment of a small adminastrative fee to release. If you send me the SMALL sum of £10000.00 dollar and your Bank account details I will share with you the sum of 10% (£1billion Dollar) once we have processed the payment through your bank account.

My you be blessed in your life.

Prince Sambal Ngeri

KuReshtin
2013-03-11, 06:41 AM
Dear Mr An Sir,

How fortuitous nad lucky it is that I should happen upon you today for I have an unmissable Investment opportunity For your lucky win. First of all, let me introduce myself, I am Prince Sambal Ngeri of Nigeria. You may have heard of the recent death of my father and the large (£10 billion dollar) he has left to me. Unfortunatly this whole Fortune is currently held in trust and requires the payment of a small adminastrative fee to release. If you send me the SMALL sum of £10000.00 dollar and your Bank account details I will share with you the sum of 10% (£1billion Dollar) once we have processed the payment through your bank account.

My you be blessed in your life.

Prince Sambal Ngeri

Seems legit. Where do I send my money?

Edit: Hang on a second. There's something fishy going on here.
Is this $10 billion Nigerian dollars, or US dollars or Canadian dollars?

Castaras
2013-03-11, 09:38 AM
Why I think you should look into a holiday in Morocco where you can find hot single women. When you find these women aged e^-3.425 to 5+3i you can take a honeymoon on Alpha Centauri and have a Cruise in the Dust Basin on Proxima.

Flame of Anor
2013-03-11, 11:21 AM

It's $£€10 billion pieces of eight, obviously.

Asta Kask
2013-03-11, 12:16 PM

Zimbabwean.

nedz
2013-03-11, 12:55 PM
http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a640/NedzNedz/GitP/Zimbabwe_100_trillion_2009_Obverse_zps62778021.jpg

Small change — Zimbabwe style

Chess435
2013-03-11, 01:13 PM
I'm pretty sure they revalued their currency to get rid of the horribly large numbers now.

akma
2013-03-11, 01:29 PM

I hard about a great deal of a time share in Mexico!

Awww, man, you're so lucky. I never get to be the one millionth visitor to any website. But I have come across a lot of hot singles in my area who insist on trying to meet me. And once I think I my have won an xBox.

I`m not so lucky, all the time I see that women want me, but they are from far away Russia :smallfrown: (and once from china. If only local women would want me so bad...)

nedz
2013-03-11, 01:57 PM
I'm pretty sure they revalued their currency to get rid of the horribly large numbers now.

They revalued in October 2005 at 1,000:1
Then again in August 2008, this time at 10,000,000,000:1 to the 2005 dollar.
In February 2009 they revalued for a third time at 1,000,000,000,000:1 to the 2008 dollar.
In April 2009 they abandoned their currency altogether.

Caesar
2013-03-11, 02:13 PM
http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a640/NedzNedz/GitP/Zimbabwe_100_trillion_2009_Obverse_zps62778021.jpg

Small change — Zimbabwe style

Coming soon to an America near you!

Douglas
2013-03-11, 07:23 PM
They revalued in October 2005 at 1,000:1
Then again in August 2008, this time at 10,000,000,000:1 to the 2005 dollar.
In February 2009 they revalued for a third time at 1,000,000,000,000:1 to the 2008 dollar.
In April 2009 they abandoned their currency altogether.
What, were they trying to finance the entire government with a printing press?

nedz
2013-03-11, 07:29 PM
What, were they trying to finance the entire government with a printing press?

Basically yes.

Their plan failed when they could no longer afford to pay the German printing company.

dehro
2013-03-12, 03:40 AM
what are the odds, you say? a million to one, I reckon.. but as any Discworld fan can tell you, those tend to crop up nine times out of ten :smallamused:

Elemental
2013-03-12, 05:45 AM
In the wise words of Serpie: "That's what the sarcasm mark is for".

By the way, the sarcasm marks is this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/Ironie-Larousse-1897-p329.png

STOP THE THREAD!

There are actually irony/sarcasm marks out there? Why did no one tell me!?

The Succubus
2013-03-12, 08:44 AM
I need to learn about font files so I can edit in sarcasm punctuation. Or failing that just have a very teeny image I can use.

nedz
2013-03-12, 10:24 AM
The trouble with fonts, is that you need to hack the server — or possibly the entire Internet. Whilst this is possible, I wouldn't recommend it.

Alternatively, just use Blue text like everyone else.

Ed: also
http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a640/NedzNedz/GitP/Irony_zpsad3c390a.jpg

Asta Kask
2013-03-12, 12:16 PM
Looks like a boob.

nedz
2013-03-12, 01:50 PM
That was unintentional, I was just trying to copy the character in the document. :smallredface:

However, whilst looking through the standard fonts, I did come across this character Ѡ :smallbiggrin:

Asta Kask
2013-03-12, 01:58 PM
Don't worry. I can see boobs in almost anything.

Flame of Anor
2013-03-12, 05:33 PM
Alternatively, just use Blue text like everyone else.

Considering that blue text is not available everywhere either, you could also just use the slash-s, like so:

Wow, it's just so easy to introduce new punctuation marks into general usage!

/s

Ravens_cry
2013-03-12, 05:48 PM
This annoys some people I know, but I like using faux html tags to denote sarcasm. Some people may not be aware that bright blue denotes sarcasm, while saying things <sarcasm>like this</sarcasm> really drives the point home.
If you can't get that, <sarcasm> you must have a fun time reading the rest of my post.</sarcasm>.

nedz
2013-03-12, 06:07 PM
Those are just basic XML tags, which are designed to make data easier to parse.

Flame of Anor
2013-03-12, 06:13 PM
This annoys some people I know, but I like using faux html tags to denote sarcasm. Some people may not be aware that bright blue denotes sarcasm, while saying things <sarcasm>like this</sarcasm> really drives the point home.
If you can't get that, <sarcasm> you must have a fun time reading the rest of my post.</sarcasm>.

The slash-s is just a stripped-down version of that.

Ravens_cry
2013-03-12, 06:36 PM
The slash-s is just a stripped-down version of that.
Stripped down, yes, but potentially more ambiguous.

nedz
2013-03-12, 06:47 PM
Well I would understand /sarcasm, but I'm not sure about everyone else. I think it's quite common though, in this part of the internet anyway.

The Extinguisher
2013-03-12, 09:03 PM
Notating sarcasm seems like it misses the point though.

Its like flashing lights shouting THIS IS A JOKE HAHA LAUGH NOW!

Ravens_cry
2013-03-12, 09:25 PM

In the interests of clarity and given how tone of voice and other verbal and visual cues can not be conveyed through text alone, I think it is generally necessary nonetheless.
You might think some statements or positions are so perverse or abstruse that no one would make them in all apparent seriousness.
And you would be wrong in almost any case, if only for the joy of contradiction.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2013-03-12, 10:33 PM
I have had some things that were just far too ridiculous to be true at all taken seriously over text before, so.

Flame of Anor
2013-03-12, 11:42 PM

Ah, yes, because no one ever took anything seriously on the Internet that was meant as a joke.

/s

HairyGuy4
2013-03-13, 12:34 AM

A very good reason to not use sarcasm on the internet. Tone of voice is too important a factor in sarcasm, and the internet cannot currently convey that. Denoting it at least makes the questionable sarcasm clear, but as you said it waters it down like good liquor at a cheap bar.

Douglas
2013-03-13, 01:25 AM
It is actually quite difficult to find a statement so extreme or bizarre that not even a single person in the entire world would actually mean it. With the advent of the Internet, people with such outre views can easily spread their messages much wider than before, and they are far more likely to do so than random sarcastic people. Thus, the extremity or bizarreness of a statement on the Internet is not reliable as an indicator of sarcasm.

tommhans
2013-03-13, 04:47 AM
I dont know how i keep winning this visitor things! still havent gotten the money i am entitled to! :(

Silverbit
2013-03-14, 10:00 AM
Yeah, sarcasm is hard to express through text. I saw a thread a while back that advocated green for sincerity. I approve of that.

dehro
2013-03-14, 11:19 AM
sarcasm ---->:amused:

The Extinguisher
2013-03-14, 01:10 PM
It is actually quite difficult to find a statement so extreme or bizarre that not even a single person in the entire world would actually mean it. With the advent of the Internet, people with such outre views can easily spread their messages much wider than before, and they are far more likely to do so than random sarcastic people. Thus, the extremity or bizarreness of a statement on the Internet is not reliable as an indicator of sarcasm.

I actually just don't take anything people seriously on the internet, so there's that.

A very good reason to not use sarcasm on the internet. Tone of voice is too important a factor in sarcasm, and the internet cannot currently convey that. Denoting it at least makes the questionable sarcasm clear, but as you said it waters it down like good liquor at a cheap bar.

That's giving sarcasm too much credit. It's like watering down bad liquor at a cheap bar.

Ravens_cry
2013-03-14, 03:19 PM
That's one use for it, another is sardonic glee.

Mewtarthio
2013-03-14, 03:26 PM
What's proper way to denote "said in a light-hearted tone of voice that could potentially be construed as either sarcasm or sincerity depending on your listener's reaction"?

Flame of Anor
2013-03-16, 11:32 PM
That's one use for it, another is sardonic glee.

Given your signature, I can see why you'd hope so... :smalltongue:

What's proper way to denote "said in a light-hearted tone of voice that could potentially be construed as either sarcasm or sincerity depending on your listener's reaction"?

Flippantly? Off-handedly? Wrily?

Siosilvar
2013-03-16, 11:42 PM

Everyone I know always changes their tone of voice when they're speaking sarcastically. Everyone.

Presupposes that I'm not already using that smiley for every other emotion I experience, since it's almost always the most accurate one. :smallamused: There's a reason I had it as my sig a while back.

(also, it works perfectly as a substitute for "that's what she said")

Lateral
2013-03-18, 12:32 AM

Eh, not really. I find that deadpan delivery of sarcasm is better than using tone of voice anyway. Besides, it's not that difficult to convey sarcasm through sentence structure, and if it's deadpan then even having blue text just defeats the purpose of it.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-18, 05:28 PM

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/geoip.png