PDA

View Full Version : Opposing alignments

Pesimismrocks
2013-03-10, 06:30 AM
I have no idea what to do.

My party consists of characters brung together out of desperation and a sense of adventure more than any combined goal. I am a neutral good factotum called Iarmid . In the party there are also the following

Arkhan: Lawful good cleric of Bahumat
Rengar: True neutral ninja
Uzkar: Chotic neutral barbarian
Tarrid: Chaotic evil wizard

My problem is that last session, where both Uzkar and Arkhan were away, Iarmid, Tarrid and Rengar had a falling out in this.

Tarrid came back from his hometown covered in blood. After investigation I discovered he had brutally killed his brother and sister-in-law. I proceded to throw him to the ground and threaten him. Later that day he hires the ninja to kill me. We battle it out and come to an agreement. However soon after the Wizard saves all our lives by hosting a level 20 demon wizard in his body. Oh and we have no allies or safe places whatsoever. We have been arrested multiple times and our last remaning ally,a brass dragon, saw Tarrid leave a woman's corpse on his front door

What should I do? I could tell the Cleric of the Wizards alignment and cause the party to split with Rengar siding with whoever ould pay and Uzkar following Rengar. Or I could leave the wizard to continue killing off NPCs until he finds out how to become a lich. What's a low charisma skill-monkey to do?

Xerxus
2013-03-10, 06:40 AM
This honestly doesn't seem like your fault. What usually happens when a PC wants to be evil is that the DM says no, alternatively a variation on this theme - internal conflicts, murder, splitting the party etc. Talk to your DM.

Pesimismrocks
2013-03-10, 06:44 AM
Unfortunately, he seems totally fine with it. The wizard has the appropriate background, fluff, etc. He even has a rune of insanity on his speelbook so that anyone who touches it goes insane.

Anecronwashere
2013-03-10, 06:49 AM
This is where you declare PvP and gank the wizard in his sleep.
Either that or when he is running low of combat spells steal his book (obviously not touching it to avoid the protections) then bind him and hold a trial

TuggyNE
2013-03-10, 06:53 AM
Beg the brass dragon to help you out by blowing Tarrid away.

Xerxus
2013-03-10, 06:53 AM
Then I would consider telling the cleric. If you are all roleplaying honestly this would likely split the party and destroy the campaign. Which wouldn't be your fault, it's just what happens with a CE character in a good party that isn't completely fictional (ie Belkar). It just is not meant to work like that IMO.

Yora
2013-03-10, 08:01 AM
If the PCs are enemies of each other, letting it come to an open fight in which one side is killed or forced out and the players make new characters, is really the only sensible way to go. Dragging on with a group of PCs that hate each other would be a lot worse.
Just tell the other players that this is the reason to start a fight, not doing it out of spite.

Octopusapult
2013-03-10, 10:06 AM
Killing the Wizard in his sleep doesn't keep with the "Good" aligned Factotum.

I'd say convert him. Find out what he'd die for and bring the good out of his soul.

Gnome Alone
2013-03-10, 11:40 AM
Beg the brass dragon to help you out by blowing Tarrid away.

That actually seems the most viable option IC, and fairly reasonable. Dude that blatantly evil should be prepared for some PvP.

Hm..he probably is.

Story
2013-03-10, 12:29 PM
Then I would consider telling the cleric. If you are all roleplaying honestly this would likely split the party and destroy the campaign. Which wouldn't be your fault, it's just what happens with a CE character in a good party that isn't completely fictional (ie Belkar). It just is not meant to work like that IMO.

An evil character in a good party can work if they aren't so blatant about it. But it looks like this is a case where PvP is inevitable.

Killing the Wizard in his sleep doesn't keep with the "Good" aligned Factotum.

Good != stupid. He's a Factotum, not a Paladin.

Octopusapult
2013-03-10, 06:27 PM
Good != stupid. He's a Factotum, not a Paladin.

Good point.

Slit his throat then. XD

Raven777
2013-03-10, 06:38 PM
Endure. In enduring, grow strong. Slowly migrate towards jaded neutrality. Because Good doesn't play well with Evil, and from a morally unbiased perspective, it is Good's fault : an Evil character will be content to sit and let a Good character do his Good Thing. On the other hand, a Good character will feel entitled to stop the Evil character's Evil Thing. So I ask, who's shoving his nose in the other's business? I suggest adopting an attitude of neutral laissez-faire, while still being a decent person yourself. That way, everyone keeps being able to have their fun the way they want.

Anecronwashere
2013-03-10, 06:50 PM
Endure. In enduring, grow strong. Slowly migrate towards jaded neutrality. Because Good doesn't play well with Evil, and from a morally unbiased perspective, it is Good's fault : an Evil character will be content to sit and let a Good character do his Good Thing. On the other hand, a Good character will feel entitled to stop the Evil character's Evil Thing. So I ask, who's shoving his nose in the other's business? I suggest adopting an attitude of neutral laissez-faire, while still being a decent person yourself. That way, everyone keeps being able to have their fun the way they want.

See, that works EXCEPT when the Evil character in question murdered his family and is so blatantly like their OTHER enemies (you know, the ones they kill on a regular basis cause Adventurers)
A Lawful Evil character, or one that only does Minor Evil acts in front of the party (or the party finds out about) could work for what your saying, but why should Good change because Evil is so blatant any Good character should have a Kill-On-Sight notice for

Squirrel_Dude
2013-03-10, 08:56 PM
Kill them if you think a party split is imminent and combat is unavoidable. Talk to the other good player about it, and see how he feels. There might not be the tension you think there is.

Deathra13
2013-03-11, 12:28 AM
This is exactly why I require people playing evil to know how to do it well. If he is truly being so blatant as to walk around covered in blood find a way to shut down his casting, drag him back to that town to stand trial and let them deal with him. If he is this blatant and lazy supplying evidence shouldnt be hard, a zone of truth would solve the problem.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-03-11, 12:34 AM
I second Deathra. Chaotic Evil is so easy to turn into Chaotic Stupid (See: Paladin of Slaughter's code of conduct). At this point, you wizard has roleplayed himself well and shown that he is a credible threat, has harmed your interests, and could easily turn on you. Kill him dead.