PDA

View Full Version : Representing the Lords of the Nine

Telonius
2013-03-10, 08:16 AM
This is for an upcoming campaign I'm plotting out. So, if (by any chance) you're going to be in the "Bell, Book, and Candle" campaign, stay out!

So, as part of the campaign, the Lords of Baator (as described in Fiendish Codex II) are going to attempt a permanent planar junction between Baator and the material plane. (Our Heroes(tm) are going to disrupt the ritual, not stopping it completely but causing a malfunction). The ten people (Fierna and Belial both got one) taking place in the ceremony are going to be followers specially chosen by the various Lords as representing themselves or their goals in some way.

I have most of the races and classes of these individuals picked out (Tiefling Hellfire Warlock for Mephistopheles, Human Bards for Belial and Fierna, Lizardfolk Warblade for Bel, etc), but I'm having some serious trouble figuring out some race and class combination for Baalzebub. From the Fiendish Codex, bugbears are his most numerous followers, but it really doesn't seem like he'd pick them as the follower best representing himself. I've already got a Beguiler for Glasya and Bards for Belial and Fierna, and I'd like to avoid re-using a class (if possible).

So, what race and class would totally exemplify lies, treachery, and being unwillingly changed into a giant slug?

jedipilot24
2013-03-10, 08:41 AM
Try this: Half-Elf Urban Ranger 6/Cancer Mage 10; or a Rogue 5/Assassin 2/Disciple of Baalzebul 10.

Have you considered Diabolist and the other Disciple classes?

Slipperychicken
2013-03-10, 11:09 AM
So, what race and class would totally exemplify lies, treachery, and being unwillingly changed into a giant slug?

Kender Beguiler?

GreenETC
2013-03-10, 11:49 AM
Changelings are very good for treachery-type stuff, so I'd say they could be a cool race.

jedipilot24
2013-03-10, 01:03 PM
Even better are Changeling Chameleons.

ExtravagantEvil
2013-03-10, 01:36 PM
Okay, the themes of Baalzebul are those of treachery and brutality.

Further, there is the unwilling shock of transformation.
A forced state of disgrace. The fallen "fallen angel", as it were.

The reason that Baalzebul was reduced to such a verminous slug-like state, if I recollect properly was the Reckoning of Hell, wherein he lost a lot of political power, kept his position, and was warped as a punishment into the slug we know and fear today. Since he was a devil though, when one thinks about it, is actually quite a reasonable attempt and power grab that was made. This is just given their society, so he was punished for doing what was reasonable.

Therefore, this Baalzebul based villain should have kind of a "Catch-22" feel to his existence, which would then make Baalzebul able to choose him from a character perspective as having lived an existence similar to his, making him a spiritual vassal and representative in that regard, for having fallen so hard twice in his existence. Once from grace, and Once again into further disgrace and loss.

From this we can look at more alien mentalities warranted here, a change from the humanoid mindset as being a good racial build for him to use.
Elan are suitably distant and cold to function, and some of the fluff of them being the end result of forced change from Human to Elan could play to the themes of Baalzebul nicely dependent on the setting, or Changelings.
I'd be wary of Changeling due to the fact that they are more mutable than Baalzebul, making the transformation seem more free and liberating than a shackle and a brand of failure.

Were-Rat Template could work in theory.
It builds on this idea of a forced transformation. Further, it lends to the connection to the verminous and the filthy that is associated with Baalzebuls new state, and the size and Dex bonuses lend to subterfuge.

Rogue or Factotum are suitable if you are going for the purely mundane aspects of infiltration and betrayal and literal backstabbing. It does lend itself also to the Were-Rat idea. Or, you could go with the Cancer Mage idea. It further plays up the sheer loss and degraded sense of self and appearance as marks of failure and punishment for expected and anticipated behaviors. While it also does lend him quite a strong power base through the magical capabilities.

SaintRidley
2013-03-10, 02:22 PM
Building from that, ExtravagantEvil, why not a fallen Paladin who has traded the old Paladin levels for Blackguard? It seems to fit the theme you described, which I agree is an apt summation of Beelzebub's story.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-03-10, 03:14 PM
The Charlatan PrC from Dragon Magazine is literally about being such an amazing liar people think you are a wizard.

Since Baalzebul does not actually have shapeshifting powers, but had this force shoved on him by Mephistopheles, why not consider Sharakin from Races of Destiny? They also were turned into hideous creatures by an outside force. There could be some "sympathy" in there.

Telonius
2013-03-10, 03:34 PM
@SaintRidley Hmm, that sounds ... really interesting. I think I'd go with Sharakim, though; fits the "fallen nature" theme. (EDIT: Same wavelength, Zamiel!) I think the build would go something like:

Rogue1 (Able Learner)/Paladin5/Shadowbane Inquisitor10
Then, at 17, Blackguard, and trade the 5 Paladin levels for Blackguard. Shadowbane counts as Fallen Paladin for purposes of Blackguard abilities, so it would be Rogue1/Shadowbane Inquisitor10/Blackguard6, with all of the Fallen Paladin goodies. Finish out with some more Blackguard. Able Learner would let me keep Bluff and Sense Motive maxed out and qualify for Shadowbane ASAP. (Since I'm DM, I'll say Sharakim's close enough to Human to count for the prereq).

ZamielVanWeber
2013-03-10, 03:37 PM
That seems rather brilliant. Someone who has fallen but does not care/notice (Shadowbane Inquisitor) fits Triel nicely. The Sharakim race reflects his transformation into the lord of flies. Boom!