PDA

View Full Version : Future campaign opinions...

CockroachTeaParty
2006-11-14, 12:05 AM
Hello everybody. I'm planning on setting up a brand new campaign, perhaps a PbP on these boards, and I'm taking it in an interesting direction.
I recently got my grubby mits on "Untapped Potential," a 3.5 psionics supplement of excellent quality. As I am frothing with psionic glee right now, I'd like to create a campaign where there exists no arcane magic, and NO DIVINE MAGIC! Oooooh!
I'm planning on granting every race, including humans and dwarves etc., access to 1 first level power and 1 or 2 bonus power points as a free bonus feat. Since there's no divine magic for healing, the healing powers of Ardents will be of much greater importance. I'm thinking of changing "Touch of Health" so that it heals 3 hp per power point spent, maybe even 4 hp. I might design some home brewed healing powers of my own if this fails.

Overall, I see this campaign being slightly more dangerous. Characters can be of any psionic or non-psionic class, but there shall be no arcane or divine casters to speak of. I'm debating whether or not to keep dragon shamans, as they may help fill the healing gap...
Anyway, I'm sure there have been posts and similar attempts in the past, and I doubt I bring anything new and fresh to the table, but if anyone has any opinions, suggestions, or links to point at my silly brain feel free to do so. Merry Christmas.

Fax Celestis
2006-11-14, 12:14 AM
There are healing powers in CPsi, I believe. No need to make them up yourself.

But I digress. Psi-only campaigns are fun. Modifying the Paladin so that their powers are psionic in nature (based off of their conviction) rather than divine might give you some other healing sources, as might the Dragon Shaman.

Further, I don't know if you're willing to use the ToB in this at all; if you do, it's not "Blade Magic", it's "Blade Mantra", and the Crusader becomes a major player for healing as well.

Truenamers could also be a source of healing, and might make an interesting "faith-based psionics" with minor alterations of their fluff (perhaps they read their incantations from a holy book, which activates certain parts of their mind similar to how a psion uses powers).

There's some options.

CockroachTeaParty
2006-11-14, 12:25 AM
I'm fully aware of the healing-type nonsense in complete psionics. I needs to gets me that there book of nine swords, I does I does! I've heard many good things.

Well, I'm looking forward to this. I always say to myself "Gee, there's not enough psionic-supporting games on these boards." Well, the time has come to make one myself. Wee!

If anyone has swindled a copy of "Untapped Potential" by Dreamscarred Press and are itching to play with it, then PM me, by all means, and I'll be happy to have you along. I'll have a recruitment thread up when I get the time, and I'll post a link to it here if I don't forget about it, due to the life of incredible excess I lead. Excelsior!

knightsaline
2006-11-14, 02:21 AM
psi-only! i love the idea of a world with no magic as we know it! you may need to change the psionic fluff about "psionic characters tend not to be trusted if they proclaim their powers or reveal themselves as psionic" due to the fact that EVERYONE is a psyker. will there be people in the game that do not have psionic powers? (read the darksword series of books to find out what im talking about) or will it just be the adventurers, BBEGs and monsters that are psionic? if so, there can't be any weres in the campaign (people bitten by a were lose all psionic talent)

side note: in 2nd ed, the tarrasque was immune to psionics. then again, psionisists were rare and shtuff like that.

CockroachTeaParty
2006-11-14, 05:35 AM
I'm planning to allow people to deny their psionic talents... they may replace the free power and power points with one of the 'anti psionic' feats, such as Hostile Mind or Psionic Hole, if they meet the prerequisites.

Psionics as a whole will not be feared... they may be slightly understood, and there will be reason to fear what an awakened mind may bring to reality... Ooooh... spooky. But that shall have to wait.

knightsaline
2006-11-15, 12:38 AM
so psionics in this world has a reputation like magic in the core world (just a talent some have and others don't). i'm surprised that noone has corrected me on the weres/psionics thing. it was from 2nd ed and i'm not sure if it has been changed. the only placed you could have psionic weres was in the demiplane of dread

Thray
2006-11-15, 01:43 AM
Since Psions don't really lose out on teleportation powers, running away from battles would be much more common.

The other thing to note is that without major sources of healing, Elans will become much more powerful, especially with improved Elan resilience, as will the power Vigor. In fact, you could even make vigor the basis of survivability in such a setting.

knightsaline
2006-11-28, 07:03 PM
question, are all the magical beasts now psionic? if there is no arcane magic, then where will the magical beasts be?