PDA

View Full Version : Adventures and Campaign Paths in the Playground

Empedocles
2013-03-10, 11:21 AM
As I was reading through some of my 3.5 editions of Dungeon magazine, it occurred to me that not only are the types of adventures and campaign paths present in it and similar magazines(Pathfinder magazine, Kobold Quarterly, etc) but they're something DMs make for themselves on a fairly regular basis when they want to have more structure to their adventures. So I guess what I'm asking is, is there a place on the playground where DMs can write playable adventures, or even whole campaign paths, in the style of Dungeon magazine or something similar, and if not, is that something people would be interested in seeing?

Empedocles
2013-03-10, 07:59 PM
Anybody? I thought this was a cool idea!

stupiddDice
2013-03-10, 08:31 PM
I sure would, if just to see what other DM's do with their groups

Empedocles
2013-03-10, 09:41 PM
I sure would, if just to see what other DM's do with their groups

That's more like a campaign diary though. I sort of meant more along the lines of homemade modules, I guess

W3bDragon
2013-03-13, 03:58 AM
That's more like a campaign diary though. I sort of meant more along the lines of homemade modules, I guess

I've written a few modules in various states of completion, mostly as a response to other posters' requests for ideas. I wouldn't mind going through them and trying to finish some of them up if some kind of Adventures Compendium of the Playground is created.

Empedocles
2013-03-13, 04:09 PM
I've written a few modules in various states of completion, mostly as a response to other posters' requests for ideas. I wouldn't mind going through them and trying to finish some of them up if some kind of Adventures Compendium of the Playground is created.

I'd like to see them!

I think an Adventures Compendium type thing would be really cool! Unfortunately, this thread doesnt seem to have garnered much interest :smallannoyed:

Silverbit
2013-03-13, 05:24 PM
I'd be interested in an adventure thread. It's always good to look at what others have done.

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-03-13, 07:30 PM
Same here, although I'd have to assemble my notes from memory. I'm a little...disorganized. :smallsmile:

Empedocles
2013-03-13, 07:44 PM
Well in that case, anybody feel like posting one?

I'm sorting through old files to try and find one worth sharing :smalltongue:

hiryuu
2013-03-13, 08:46 PM
I think what we need is an adventure/campaign path forum, less so a thread. I have some campaign paths for L5R and some stuff for Deadlands and D&D I could post.

Empedocles
2013-03-13, 09:54 PM
I think what we need is an adventure/campaign path forum, less so a thread. I have some campaign paths for L5R and some stuff for Deadlands and D&D I could post.

That'd be ideal, but it doesn't seem like it'll happen anytime soon

Pink
2013-03-13, 10:13 PM
Hmmm, I'll have to see how detailed my old notes are. I made a few small scenarios for my Ptolus game once upon a time. They're just small 1-2 session things though, to supplement a urban campaign. The problem with this sort've thread is that usually, homebrew stuff isn't detailed in the same way as a published module and take a bit of work and polish to format so it's understandable to other GMs :P

Anyway, here are brief summaries of what I'll try and put together, but fair warning, free time isn't something I have a lot of right now, so it may be a little before I finish them up.

House-Warming
Newly arrived in town, the party needs a place to stay, but good lodgings are rare and the rent is too damn high. Luckily they have a friend in town who has a house to rent out that is willing to offer the first month rent-free if they can evict the previous tennant. Fortunately the tennant is no longer there. Unfortunately his creations still are.

The Scent of Evil
A widower father desperate to find his missing daughter hires the party to track her down. Following clues, the party conclude that she was last seen entering into a perfume shop that turns out to be connected to a sinister cult based in the sewers.

ngilop
2013-03-13, 10:49 PM
I never knew that one was allowed to make up an adventure/campaign due to copyright and intellectual property laws and such...

If s, i'll be more than happy to Type up one of my adventures and post it up foor all to use in their.

Empedocles
2013-03-13, 10:52 PM
I never knew that one was allowed to make up an adventure/campaign due to copyright and intellectual property laws and such...

If s, i'll be more than happy to Type up one of my adventures and post it up foor all to use in their.

I mean, as long as you don't include copyrighted material. Like, for example, you could post that the main enemy of your campaign is a level 15 dread necromancer, and you could even stat him up, but if you included in those statistics descriptions of powers only explained in the Heroes of Horror (non OGL) book, then you would be violating copyright.

Xeratos
2013-03-13, 11:28 PM
Could you maybe give an example of what exactly you're talking about? It's sounds to me like you kind of just want a bulleted list of step-by-step how the adventure is supposed to play out (i.e. all the stops the train makes on its railroad). But I could be completely wrong, and of course, it's easy to write something like that after the fact.

Empedocles
2013-03-13, 11:31 PM
Could you maybe give an example of what exactly you're talking about? It's sounds to me like you kind of just want a bulleted list of step-by-step how the adventure is supposed to play out (i.e. all the stops the train makes on its railroad). But I could be completely wrong, and of course, it's easy to write something like that after the fact.

Um the best suggestion I can give is to find an issue of Dungeon magazine for examples. I can't find anything like their model of adventures online.

It's not meant to be "all the tops the train makes on its railroad", although these are more tightly structured adventures (not railroaded by any means, but with one definite end goal in mind - e.g. a final villain everything leads up to)

EDIT: There are two types of adventures in Dungeon. The first are separate, more complex encounters designed to be adapted by a DM when he wants a more in depth side adventure. Those encounters often also work as stand-alone adventures. The second type are Campaign Paths (Rise of the Runelords, The Savage Tide, etc.) which tell a very clear cut story. They're probably more railroaded then most adventures should be (in my opinion), but they're also designed to be easy for the DM to change should he need to do so.

Xeratos
2013-03-14, 12:27 AM
Not having access to any copies of dungeon magazine at any time, and especially not at 1:30 in the morning, the best I could do was a google search for more information. So I would guess what you're asking is, "Would anyone like to go dig out some of their old notes from a longer running campaign, polish them up for public viewing, and share with the rest of the class?"

Are you more interested in seeing the actual behind-the-scenes with stat blocks and DCs and maps and everything or do you care more about the story of the campaign?

Empedocles
2013-03-14, 12:39 AM
Not having access to any copies of dungeon magazine at any time, and especially not at 1:30 in the morning, the best I could do was a google search for more information. So I would guess what you're asking is, "Would anyone like to go dig out some of their old notes from a longer running campaign, polish them up for public viewing, and share with the rest of the class?"

Are you more interested in seeing the actual behind-the-scenes with stat blocks and DCs and maps and everything or do you care more about the story of the campaign?

Yeah I guess that's basically what I'm asking. I'm currently polishing some old notes for such a purpose.

Behind the scenes and story are both interesting - I'd happily look at either (although stats and maps and DCs without a story would be a little bland).

Xeratos
2013-03-14, 12:57 AM
This thread showed up a few days ago: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275497

The OP was asking for short adventure ideas, and I put up two that I had done, which I would simply copy/paste here, except I posted jpeg maps too, and I don't feel like digging out the links and everything again. My post was only a few from the top though, so if you're interested enough to take a look, should be easy to find.

They're by no means full campaigns, but I think they're close to what you're looking for. One of them is just a dungeon scenario snipped right out of my notes, and the other is a 1-2 session stand-alone that could probably be described as a module if the world it was set in had been more fleshed out.

Truth be told, I never really looked close enough at the srd to see if anything I typed up for my own personal campaigns that I DMed wasn't open source, so to speak. Sooo, hopefully I'm not infringing on any copyrighted work by posting my own personal stuff here. If so, eek, someone point it out for me please.

Edit: I actually went back looking into my notes, and the campaign that I snipped the dungeon called Hades Ridge out of is actually probably pretty close to what you're talking about. I uploaded my notes as a pdf file (http://www.alabasterink.com/WP/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Seal-of-Lightning.pdf) to my website, and here is the map for that dungeon (http://www.alabasterink.com/WP/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Hades-Ridge-Map.jpg).

After re-reading the notes, I'm actually a bit sad that we didn't make it very far into this campaign before real life scheduling conflicts killed it. The notes specifically refer to my three players by character name, and if it gives some context, I believe Ryctor was a fighter, Sard a cleric, and Aldun was a sorcerer. Anyway, I hope this is what you were looking for and you enjoy reading it.