PDA

View Full Version : Simaculrum Crafters

Chilingsworth
2013-03-10, 12:58 PM
Ok, this may sound abit wierd, but...

If you made a Simaculrum of a crafter, say an artificer, could it actually make magic items for you? What about a conventional spellcaster with crafting feats?

All the spell says is that the simaculrum can't gain levels.

Also, my dm lets characters spend xp to drop themselves below minimum for their level, without losing levels. I'm guessing that's relevent.

Ganorenas
2013-03-10, 04:34 PM
I recall a similar Thread mentioning or based on this, which stated that they are crafted with 1/2 exp to next level, but could not gain more exp by any means

Looking at simulacrum, I saw no mention of exp, so it may have been just an agreed upon ruling. Though I imagine these were the kind of players that saw no balance issue with allowing the caster to have not only simulacrums, but ones that will craft items while they gain more exp and pass those items/gold from selling those items forward in addition to adventuring loot, making themselves more powerful than the rest of the party. Or maybe they wanted background crafters to make items for the rest of the party, I don't remember... I think it was option #2 though.

Truly though, if your concern is pumping out magic items to use or sell, and your DM allows you to go below level for exp, you don't seem to need the simulacrums anyway, just craft til your heart's content and enter battles with your massively over done Wbl... You'll gain your exp back

Also, recall that it comes in with the feats you had at it's HD, so make sure you took Craft () early... Like 3, 5(wizard), 6... Since you can cast simulacrum at 13, making a 6HD Simulacrum

Or buy a scroll, but I think those are expensive
Though, you will possibly make it out with profit if they have enough exp

Emperor Tippy
2013-03-10, 05:52 PM
Yes, a Simulacrum or Ice Assassin can loose levels and thus spend XP to craft. You should note that once it runs out of XP at your current level you need to hit it with level loss to drop it down to the next level (as you can't craft away levels).

For real fun, combine with a Thought Bottle to regain the XP.

Jack_Simth
2013-03-10, 06:02 PM
Ok, this may sound abit wierd, but...

If you made a Simaculrum of a crafter, say an artificer, could it actually make magic items for you? What about a conventional spellcaster with crafting feats?

All the spell says is that the simaculrum can't gain levels.

Also, my dm lets characters spend xp to drop themselves below minimum for their level, without losing levels. I'm guessing that's relevent.
Well, the spell, Simulacrum, is remarkably silent on XP totals, beyond saying they can't go up. It's arguable whether or not a Simulacrum of a 14th level character will have XP available for crafting - although a simulacrum of a 15th level character probably will have half a level's worth of loose XP.

Mind you, a Simulacrum of an artificer should probably have the Craft Reserve, if nothing else.

However, both of those are "under normal circumstances". If you've got a house rule at your table that people can spend XP to drop them below a level threshhold (this is not the norm! (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#itemCreationFeats)), then your simulacrums can probably do a rather lot of crafting... probably; it's entirely possible they've got 0 xp, instead.