PDA

View Full Version : A couple of spells I made.

smoke prism
2013-03-10, 01:38 PM
Pyroshield (fire)
Transmutation
Level: sor/wiz 2, Drd 2
Component: V
Casting time: 1 immediate action
Range: personal
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving throw:reflex
Spell resistance: yes

After intoning several worlds, the very air around you seems to burst in to flame momentarily.

When the caster is Attacked in melee by a non-reach weapon , he may use a immediate action to cast this spell which cause the air around the caster to momentarily burst in to flames .take 1d6 points of fire damage plus an additional 1d6 points of damage for every 2 caster levels to a maximum of 5d6.

When the spell ends the flames disappear, just as quickly as they appeared.

Acrid Shield (acid)
Transmutation
Saving throw: reflex

After speaking a couple of sour words the air around the caster is tinted dark green.

When the caster is Attacked in melee by a non-reach weapon , he may use a immediate action to cast this spell which turns the air around the caster to become acidic.The target that attacked the caster take 1d6 points of acid damage plus an additional 1d6 points of damage for every 2 caster levels to a maximum of 5d6

When the spell ends the acid disappears from the air and the air reverts back to it's original colour.

Cryoshield(cold)
Transmutation
Saving throw:reflex

After intoning several worlds, the temperature of the air around you plummets significantly.

When the caster is Attacked in melee by a non-reach weapon , he may use a immediate action to cast this spell which cause the air around the caster to momentarily plummet in temperature .The creature that attacked the caster take 1d6 points of cold damage plus an additional 1d6 points of damage for every 2 caster levels to a maximum of 5d6

Xeratos
2013-03-10, 04:34 PM
Maybe just combine them into one spell and have the caster choose an elemental type either upon casting or upon preparing it. They're the exact same spell, just with a different damage type.

Other than that, the only thing I could say is I don't think I would want to prepare spells that assume I'm going to be hit in melee. Perhaps they would be more valuable to a class that stands in melee and uses magic.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-10, 04:43 PM
I agree with Xeratos, they should be a single spell. Looking at them, you could probably drop them a level, making them Duskblade/Warmage spells doesn't seem off, either.

Also, these are probably better as Evocation spells, rather than Transmutation.

The damage calculation is confusing, is it 1d6 +1 per two caster levels, or it it 1d6 per 2 caster levels? As in, if you cast this spell with a Caster Level of 8, would the spell deal 1d6+4 damage or 4d6 damage?

ericgrau
2013-03-10, 04:49 PM
I like both the flavor behind them and the usefulness to a surprised mage. For an immediate action (far better than a standard action) at level 2 the damage is a bit high, but that works well together with the drawback of getting close enough to be hit as a mage. And with the drawback of having a save. I presume the damage is 1d6 + 1d6 per 2 caster levels?

I think the damage should be changed so that fire does more than cold which does more than acid. Perhaps d8/d6/d4. Or else everyone will pick acid. Other than that it looks great.

On to the nitpicks:

The *'s and /'s confuse me to no end.

Ya it should be evocation. The existing spell fire shield is evocation. The acid version might be conjuration, and likewise might be SR:no, assuming the damage was reduced.

If they were psionic I'd agree they should be merged, but as arcane magic the precedent is to have different spells. And it makes it less trivial to bypass resistances. OTOH fire shield allows both fire and cold, but there's some fluff behind it.

TuggyNE
2013-03-10, 08:38 PM
The *'s and /'s confuse me to no end.

Quoted for so much truth. I'll come back and re-read this later, but my eyes are hurting and I think I need to lie down. :smallyuk:

Alias
2013-03-11, 07:39 AM
For comparison

Fire Shield
{Core Rulebook}
Evocation [fire or cold]
Level: sorcerer/wizard 4
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Components: V, S, M (phosphorus for the warm shield; a firefly or glowworm for the chill shield)
Target: you
Duration: 1 round/level (D)

This spell wreathes you in flame and causes damage to each creature that attacks you in melee. The flames also protect you from either cold-based or fire-based attacks, depending on if you choose cool or warm flames for your fire shield.

Any creature striking you with its body or a handheld weapon deals normal damage, but at the same time the attacker takes 1d6 points of damage + 1 point per caster level (maximum +15). This damage is either cold damage (if you choose a chill shield) or fire damage (if you choose a warm shield). If the attacker has spell resistance, it applies to this effect. Creatures wielding melee weapons with reach are not subject to this damage if they attack you.

When casting this spell, you appear to immolate yourself, but the flames are thin and wispy, increasing the light level within 10 feet by one step, up to normal light. The color of the flames is blue or green if the chill shield is cast, violet or red if the warm shield is employed. The special powers of each version are as follows.

Chill Shield: The flames are cool to the touch. You take only half damage from fire-based attacks. If such an attack allows a Reflex save for half damage, you take no damage on a successful saving throw.

Warm Shield: The flames are warm to the touch. You take only half damage from cold-based attacks. If such an attack allows a Reflex save for half damage, you take no damage on a successful saving throw.

Immediate actions are essentially free, especially at low levels where the caster is unlikely to have other spells with that casting time. So, for 2 levels less than Fire Shield, you get a one shot use of its effect once / day.

This is assuming your damage is 1d6+ 1 per caster level. Your damage codes are incomprehensible as written.

Since it only hits once it would be weaker than magic missile were it not for the immediate action casting time which lets it come out of nowhere. That sets it at 2nd level for sure.

Overall, it's just too similar to Fire Shield.

smoke prism
2013-03-11, 01:07 PM
Change have be made to the damage code.
Thankyou everyone for commenting

Alias
2013-03-11, 01:56 PM
Ok, 1d6 / 2 caster levels? Broken.

Compare quickened magic missile, which is 5th level and requires a feat slot, but still deals less damage than your spell on a failed save. Allowing a reflex save might make up for the feat slot - but you still have to explain 4 levels of power. Medium range versus close is not 4 levels either. Also, immediate actions can be taken when flat footed, a quickened spell is a swift action which can NOT be taken flat footed.

No. Back to the drawing board with you.

ericgrau
2013-03-11, 03:43 PM
Well I saw the high power and thought the drawback of getting hit as a squishy mage balanced out the advantage. Without the drawback I'd say it's about 3rd-4th level, because of the save negates (not even save half) and because quickened magic missile isn't a very good use of quicken. Whenever you're forced to use a low level spell the non-damage no save (or good on a passed save) ones are much more efficient. Ray of enfeeblement, web, true strike, etc.

Alias
2013-03-11, 03:52 PM
Well I saw the high power and thought the drawback of getting hit as a squishy mage balanced out the advantage.

Read the broken spell again - Druid 2. Not to mention Magus can get to it as well. Neither of those are squishy.

Xeratos
2013-03-11, 04:14 PM
I'm about 95% sure that druid wasn't originally on the list, and that it was sor/wiz only.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-12, 06:21 AM
I'd also stick them on the Duskblade spell list, perhaps as a level 1 Duskblade spell. Maybe even on the Hexblade list as-is too.

Other than that, these spells look decent and not OP.

Alias
2013-03-12, 07:15 AM
5d6 as a free action is very overpowered for 2nd. Try 4th.

Amechra
2013-03-12, 08:08 AM
5d6 is, on average, 17.5 damage, to a max of 30.

It also carries the drawback of taking a hit. Which will probably be dealing way more damage than the attack itself.