PDA

View Full Version : Illithid/Mind Flayer Questions - 3.5

gurgleflep
2013-03-10, 02:06 PM
Heya folks! I'm curious as to whether or not there is an illithid without any psionic abilities with a relatively low LA (if any at all). I know that illithids use telepathy for speech, so another question is if there is any way around that.

And this is something the group I play with has been joking about so sorry for the idiocy on this one... could you apply the half-illithid template to an illithid? You put the tadpole in the ear hole (no clue if they even have them!), it eats the brain (or in this case the previous tadpole) and takes its place...

Thanks for reading and replying! :smallsmile:

Squirrel_Dude
2013-03-10, 06:08 PM
I don't think Illithids in MM one are actually psionic, but are instead magical. I'm not sure, as I don't have the book on hand. I would also suspect that all mindflayers speak undercommon.

Story
2013-03-10, 06:44 PM
The Mindflayer in the Monster Manual is a Sorceror and has SLAs, but it's abilities are described as being Psionic. Most likely, this was because Pisonics are not core in 3.5ed.

Starbuck_II
2013-03-10, 11:24 PM
Heya folks! I'm curious as to whether or not there is an illithid without any psionic abilities with a relatively low LA (if any at all). I know that illithids use telepathy for speech, so another question is if there is any way around that.

And this is something the group I play with has been joking about so sorry for the idiocy on this one... could you apply the half-illithid template to an illithid? You put the tadpole in the ear hole (no clue if they even have them!), it eats the brain (or in this case the previous tadpole) and takes its place...

Thanks for reading and replying! :smallsmile:

MM 5 pg 108 has Mind flayer of Thoon with low Psionics.
Thoon Inflitrators are CR 5, look humanoid, hidden in mouth is the tentacles. They have fast heal 5. And hard to kill (revives after death unless removing tentacles in mouth). Shoot poison darts through mouth tentacles hidden in mouth.
And create minions (thralls) by sticking tentacles down your throat (requires sleeping/helpless)

Thralls (CR 2+base creature) are pretty cool: once they activate their hidden powers (save unless needed), they heal but they burn out if they still have full health after activating their healing (they explode). So it is basically a one use-ability (unless they go enmo and cut themselves every round).
Basically they are pretty invulnerable as they are stronger while active (fast heal, etc) they have to hope you keep attacking or they blimp up and boom.

Couple construct they have as well.

Seharvepernfan
2013-03-10, 11:47 PM
I don't think Illithids in MM one are actually psionic, but are instead magical. I'm not sure, as I don't have the book on hand. I would also suspect that all mindflayers speak undercommon.

Yes they speak undercommon, and yes, by RAW, their psionics are magical (but obviously not if you're using the psionics books), but that's not why I'm quoting you. I'm quoting you because you have the best signature I've ever seen. and Im pretty sure that squirrel winked at me

Also, OP, I have a homebrewed illithid change you can check out: Mind Flayers
Medium Aberration
+4 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Cha, -2 Str, -2 Con
four tentacle attacks (1d3), improved grab with tentacles
Mind Blast - 60ft. cone (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha Mod - Will Save) - 1d3+1 rounds of stun, every 1d4+1 rounds
Brain Extract
Telepathy (?ft.)
Spell Resistance 11+HD

I couldn't tell you the LA, but I'd guess about +3.

Urpriest
2013-03-10, 11:56 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that an illithid with no psionics is fairly pointless. Illithids are pretty much defined by their Psionic fluff, either Psionics in the MM form or XPH Psionics. There's no reason to want an Illithid that's cut off from that as opposed to any other tentactley underdark monster.

Psyren
2013-03-11, 12:02 AM
There are Illithid Sorcerers (and these typically end up trying to become Alhoons as they are shunned by their kin) but even those still have psionic abilities, even if they don't use them, and those abilities are nevertheless factored into their CR/ECL.

gurgleflep
2013-03-11, 12:16 AM
MM 5 pg 108 has Mind flayer of Thoon with low Psionics.
Thoon Inflitrators are CR 5, look humanoid, hidden in mouth is the tentacles. They have fast heal 5. And hard to kill (revives after death unless removing tentacles in mouth). Shoot poison darts through mouth tentacles hidden in mouth.
And create minions (thralls) by sticking tentacles down your throat (requires sleeping/helpless)

Thralls (CR 2+base creature) are pretty cool: once they activate their hidden powers (save unless needed), they heal but they burn out if they still have full health after activating their healing (they explode). So it is basically a one use-ability (unless they go enmo and cut themselves every round).
Basically they are pretty invulnerable as they are stronger while active (fast heal, etc) they have to hope you keep attacking or they blimp up and boom.

Couple construct they have as well.

This seems pretty interesting, and the fact that they can explode could be a (most of the) party saver. If it's the only thing that could save the party from TPK, that could come in quite handy.

Yes they speak undercommon, and yes, by RAW, their psionics are magical (but obviously not if you're using the psionics books), but that's not why I'm quoting you. I'm quoting you because you have the best signature I've ever seen.

Also, OP, I have a homebrewed illithid change you can check out: Mind Flayers
Medium Aberration
+4 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Cha, -2 Str, -2 Con
four tentacle attacks (1d3), improved grab with tentacles
Mind Blast - 60ft. cone (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha Mod - Will Save) - 1d3+1 rounds of stun, every 1d4+1 rounds
Brain Extract
Telepathy (?ft.)
Spell Resistance 11+HD

I couldn't tell you the LA, but I'd guess about +3.

I've got to agree with you, his signature is pretty awesome. Thanks for the Homebrew :smallsmile:

One thing to keep in mind is that an illithid with no psionics is fairly pointless. Illithids are pretty much defined by their Psionic fluff, either Psionics in the MM form or XPH Psionics. There's no reason to want an Illithid that's cut off from that as opposed to any other tentactley underdark monster.

It's non-psionic for story purposes. As an outcast in it's community because of it's lack of psionic abilities, leaves for a life of adventure to prove not all of their kind are bad, only eats the brains of animals unless the party deems it absolutely necessary to eat the brain of some enemy/opponent, (numerous other story purposes later)... is a Paladin of Freedom.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-03-11, 12:40 AM
I've got to agree with you, his signature is pretty awesome. Thanks for the Homebrew :smallsmile:Neither the table nor the idea to make it a signature are mine. The table is by Alienist, and the idea to make it a signature was AtillaTheGeek's.

Gotta give credit where credit is due.