PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Beguiler Build

Farm_Ecology
2013-03-10, 03:09 PM
Hi.

I've been working on an idea for a build, with the main emphasis on utility, role-play and enjoyability. The build is meant to use illusion/enchantment spells to avoid combat, but with a large ray-based sneak attack trick up it's sleeve.

I need help in developing the build with suggestions on feats to take, possible spells, other prestige classes. As well as any potential dead ends I've drawn myself in.

The base of the build will be built on a beguiler and a spellthief. Both have nice skill points, the spellthief has the sneak attack and the lovely steal spell ability. And the beguiler has the flexibility of not preparing it's spells, while also having the suprise casting.

As far as I gather, the two essentials are: Beguiler 6 for mostly the surprise casting (move action), which gets promoted to a swift action with improved feint. Secondly, spell thief 2 will give me the steal effect ability, the detect magic is also nice to have lying around.

As far as I gather, the main prestige classes I'm looking at are unseen seer and spellwarp sniper. Both have better BAB than arcane trickster, and I think are better overall.

I'll be playing as a Spellscale (for RP reasons), but the +2 CHA goes perfectly as well.

So, what advice can anyone give in terms of feats, ways to get myself a ray to use, and whether there are any gaping flaws in principle. Also any advice in general would be nice.

Edit: Just realized Beguiler is INT based and Spelltheif is CHA based. Not a major issue, but I was hoping for synergy.

koboldish
2013-03-10, 04:28 PM
I don't think taking 6 levels of one class and 14 of another really works if they are both for spellcasting... My suggestion would be to play a wizard, but that's just me. Spellwarp sniper is really cool, but I would actually suggest arcane trickster over unseen seer, due to the higher amount of sneak attack damage.

Randomguy
2013-03-10, 04:41 PM
You can use Advanced Learning to pick up Ray of Stupidity. It's a neat spell, and if you sneak attack with it then the bonus dice is negative energy damage IIRC.

Beguiler really doesn't have a lot to offer spellwarped sniper, though. Most of its spells aren't damaging.

In any case, make sure you get the Master Spellthief feat from Complete Scoundrel.

ksbsnowowl
2013-03-10, 04:48 PM
It takes some feat investment, but the Fiend-Blooded prestige class from Heroes of Horror can get your Beguiler casting some extra spells known. They can be ANY spell with the fire descriptor, or from the schools of Enchantment, Illusion, or Necromancy. Any spell in the game; not just Sor/Wiz spells...

Feats to help with the Kn (Planes) requirement include Keeper of Forbidden Lore, Knowledge Devotion, and Apprentice (Spellcaster) from DMG2.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-10, 05:09 PM
Take Apprentice (Performer), and take a level of Prestige Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm), you loose a spell level, but ALL your Beguiler spells are cast at a +2 Caster level.

Venusaur
2013-03-10, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Magus can advance casting of 2 arcane classes, so I would check that out.

gorfnab
2013-03-10, 08:24 PM
Sneak Attacking Spellcasters Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1240)
Beguiler Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=363.0)

Grod_The_Giant
2013-03-10, 08:39 PM
It takes some feat investment, but the Fiend-Blooded prestige class from Heroes of Horror can get your Beguiler casting some extra spells known. They can be ANY spell with the fire descriptor, or from the schools of Enchantment, Illusion, or Necromancy. Any spell in the game; not just Sor/Wiz spells...

The Sandshaper PrC from Sandstorm is also good for this. 4 ranks in a pair of cross-class skills, one feat, and one lost caster level net you something like 45 new spells known, including summons, a handful of buffs (Bull's Strength as a 1st level!), some damagers, and even the occasional save-or-die. Best of all, it's explicitly legal-- "If you are a spontaneous caster (such as a sorcerer), these spells are available to you like any other spell you know." The class gets some pretty nice goodies as well.