PDA

View Full Version : The Book of Vile Darkness Movie. Spoilers inside, you have been warned.

jedipilot24
2013-03-10, 05:31 PM
What class do you think the Shadar-kai chick was? She's the only I can't quite pin down. The Rot-Mage guy is a Wizard, the Assassin guy is a Rogue, the Goliath is a Ranger, and Grayson is a Fighter with True Believer (Pelor) and a Shard of the Sun relic.

What are your thoughts
If it wasn't for the fact that she could heal wounds, I would call her a Warlock. As it is I'm not sure.

LaZodiac
2013-03-10, 06:42 PM
Who was the villian? Because if I recall the villian was a fan creation as part of a contest.

jedipilot24
2013-03-10, 07:25 PM
The villian was a guy named Shathrax who had his mouth stapled shut and so could only speak through a pair of women that were chained to him.

Callos_DeTerran
2013-03-11, 03:33 PM
...What book of vile darkness movie?

jedipilot24
2013-03-11, 03:40 PM
This one. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=the+book+of+vile+darkness+movie)

Is there another?

Sotharsyl
2013-03-13, 02:51 PM
What class do you think the Shadar-kai chick was? She's the only I can't quite pin down. The Rot-Mage guy is a Wizard, the Assassin guy is a Rogue, the Goliath is a Ranger, and Grayson is a Fighter with True Believer (Pelor) and a Shard of the Sun relic.

What are your thoughts
If it wasn't for the fact that she could heal wounds, I would call her a Warlock. As it is I'm not sure.

This is a fun thread, first off since the shadar-kai witch was called a witch I'll go with the obvious and say she was of the Essentials witch class, i.e. a wizard subclass :smallsigh: .

Rot-Mage guy was a Wizard with a paragon path from The Book of Vile Darkness, I believe Vermin Lord is the name of the class.

Assassin guy I'll err on the side of the obvious and say Essentials Assassin, again :smallsigh: thank you Mearls for a assasin who can so easily mistaken for a rogue. Heavens knows shadow magic is not something which would be better for the silver screen and our imagination, no no honestly dagger work is enough.

Grayon if we go by the lore, is a paladin who can't use any power which uses radiant damage or is fluffed as obvious divine magic glowy aura etc. I agree your version would be less of a hassle to actually play though so it might be it.

Overall I really liked the movie you could tell they weren't aiming for Lotr but that was the main draw for me they were free of the usual lotr heroic restraints.

I would like a sequel honestly with Grayson and the shadar kai chick.

Badgerish
2013-03-14, 05:48 AM
The Vermin Lord was a (swarm) Druid->Vermin Lord*.
The male Shadar-kai was both sneaky and fighty and dual-wielding all the time. Personally, I'd make him as a Scout (Essentials dex based melee ranger) just because of how much he dual-wields. Executioner (assassin variant) is also an option, but he never used poison or shadow-magic.
The Goliath was a Barbarian.
The 'witch' is hard to place... she uses attack magic twice, healing magic once, a bunch of magic items and fights in melee. Warlock with Eldritch Strike and MC in leader class?

Hero-bloke was a fighter (probably Slayer from essentials) trying to MC/paragon-MC/Hybrid into Paladin, but that's blocked by the campaign rules. At the end he he becomes aBlackguard* of Pelor, which is a hilarious concept (Blackguard is a variant Paladin and while it tends towards evil and Necrotic damage, they don't have alignment restrictions and can still pick up Radiant options)

The movie was watchable and had its high points (the bag of holding scene and Slaymate* scene where so damn smart), the Vermin-Lord (evil and lovin' it. best character), some of the fights. But the terrible ending and cringe-worthy magick-shoppe really let it down.

random triva: there was a contest to play a bit-part in the movie. The winner was the Shifter* who was part of the evil-party and gets killed in the tavern.

(edit: * = called out in dialog/credits)

jedipilot24
2013-03-16, 09:38 AM
I have never played Essentials and I only played 4e once. I was trying to stat them with 3.5/Pathfinder as I am much more familiar with that system.

Hopeless
2013-03-16, 09:43 AM
I have never played Essentials and I only played 4e once. I was trying to stat them with 3.5/Pathfinder as I am much more familiar with that system.

So do you think any of them multi-classed?

I thought the lead was a fighter since the paladin class wasn't available for some reason and thats what he gained near the end.

Guess it was far too based on 4e for its own good but still interested in your conversions!

jedipilot24
2013-03-18, 08:41 AM
Here is my shot at the characters:

Rot Mage: Male Human Necromancer 3/Vermin Lord 7/Nightmare Spinner 5/Mindbender 1
Assassin: Male Human Rogue 5/Assassin 6/Disciple of Baalzebul 2
Vimak: Male Goliath Barbarian 10/Ranger 3
Grayson: Male Human Fighter 11 (will gain 12th Fighter level and the True Believer (Pelor) feat, which enables him to finally use his Shard of the Sun)
Akordia: Female Shadar-Kai Warlock 11/Factotum 5

The five level Factotum dip not only gives Akordia Opportunistic Piety, which actually suits her personality, but it also makes her decent in melee. Akordia's Invocations are Disembodied Hand, Baleful Utterance, Eldritch Cone, Brimstone Blast, Dark One's Own Luck, Hammer Blast, and Beguiling Influence.

The Rot Mage guy is a 16th level character who casts as a 12th level wizard, so he is actually somewhat underpowered but still terrifying; he prohibits Evocation and Abjuration.

Shathrax is a Wizard 9/Mindbender 1/Diabolist 10

Dr.Epic
2013-03-18, 07:24 PM
...What book of vile darkness movie?

The really awful one. Seriously, for a film based on the Book of Vile Darkness, that was EXTREMELY tame and watered down. I've seen more vile things in my bathroom.

Hawriel
2013-03-18, 08:56 PM
My long standing D&D character has found the book of vile darkness so many times he created a library. We then put together a special collector edition with 4 extra hours of darkness and the making of behind the scene footage.

Sotharsyl
2013-03-19, 01:47 AM

That's cool, except the movie was a DnD(4th Edition) movie ... would you try to use Pathfinder to stat a New World of Darkness Vampire movie :P ?

Hopeless
2013-03-19, 02:25 PM
That's cool, except the movie was a DnD(4th Edition) movie ... would you try to use Pathfinder to stat a New World of Darkness Vampire movie :P ?

If they said it glitters in daylight then YES!

Anderlith
2013-03-19, 05:39 PM
The whole movie takes place in the 4e system, proof (when the Paladin of Pelor is shopping)

The girl is a Warlock

Janus
2013-03-22, 09:29 PM
Just watched the film myself. Didn't... expect the random orgies in the middle of it. :smallconfused:

Can't comment much on the classes, other than that Pelor granting paladinhood to someone for intentionally breaking several oaths and still feeling somewhat valiant after it all was a bit... weird.
That's why I go with Bahamut in 4e. :smallbiggrin:

Movie had some good moments, I thought. I liked the conversation about zombies and unicorns, and I liked the portrayal of alignment shifts without the PC knowing.
Not sure how the prostitute at the beginning knew so much about everything related to the plot. Good grief, do her clients tell her every blasted thing? Jeez.
And I laughed/facepalmed at the "heroic or paragon?" question at the Adventurer's Vault.

Anderlith
2013-03-22, 11:19 PM
Just watched the film myself. Didn't... expect the random orgies in the middle of it. :smallconfused:

There was an orgy? I don't remember that:smallconfused:

Janus
2013-03-22, 11:46 PM
There was an orgy? I don't remember that:smallconfused:
Yeah, after they kill the dragon and go to the town.

How did you see the movie? I was watching it online. Strangely enough, the title was in German, but everything else was English. No subtitles or anything.
Must have seen the racy uncut version.

Chilingsworth
2013-03-23, 02:47 AM
Wait... they made a third D&D movie?

I've only heard that the other two are horrible. Is the third one crap as well?

Hopeless
2013-03-23, 04:58 AM
Wait... they made a third D&D movie?

I've only heard that the other two are horrible. Is the third one crap as well?

Actually the second one was quite good, I still haven't been able to watch through the third movie maybe one day...:smallwink:

Anderlith
2013-03-23, 05:36 AM
Yeah, after they kill the dragon and go to the town.

How did you see the movie? I was watching it online. Strangely enough, the title was in German, but everything else was English. No subtitles or anything.
Must have seen the racy uncut version.

I watched it on Syfy so they probably cut a lot

JoshL
2013-03-23, 07:29 PM
Actually the second one was quite good, I still haven't been able to watch through the third movie maybe one day...:smallwink:

If you liked the second, you'll probably like the third. It does suffer a bit from the evil party trying too hard to be evil, but it's fun.

I do enjoy watching the first, but not because it's a good movie by any stretch. It's pretty awful, and absolutely a blast.

Sotharsyl
2013-03-25, 05:34 AM
If they said it glitters in daylight then YES!

Now them's fighting words :P

I could much more easily make a sparkly vampire race in Pathfinder than 4E as a aside :smallbiggrin:

DigoDragon
2013-03-25, 06:24 AM

I had forgotten the second movie existed. Haven't seen Wrath of the Dragon God or Book of Vile Darkness. My wife saw the latter and told me I have to share in the pain, so I'll have to see if its still in the DVR. :smallsmile:

Hopeless
2013-03-25, 09:23 AM
If you liked the second, you'll probably like the third. It does suffer a bit from the evil party trying too hard to be evil, but it's fun.

I do enjoy watching the first, but not because it's a good movie by any stretch. It's pretty awful, and absolutely a blast.

Yes Jeremy Irons and Bruce Payne certainly earned their pay even if I suspect one of them was taking the p**s which only serves to show just how good Jeremy Irons was in that role!:smallwink:

Hopeless
2013-03-25, 09:24 AM
I had forgotten the second movie existed. Haven't seen Wrath of the Dragon God or Book of Vile Darkness. My wife saw the latter and told me I have to share in the pain, so I'll have to see if its still in the DVR. :smallsmile:

You're definitely talking about the third because I don't recall the second being painful... mind you I still can't watch through the third which is something even the first movie hasn't achieved!:smalleek:

I actually liked the dwarf from the first movie, mostly because after watching the deleted scenes you realise just how badly they messed up his performance!

Tom Baker can play an elf any time he wants, just as long as he gets to offer them a jelly baby afterwards... anybody noticed he played an elven cleric?

I think he was the only one in the entire first movie (I meant an actual cleric!:smallconfused:)... certainly makes me feel better about playing cleric's in d&d!:smallwink:

oblivion6
2013-03-25, 04:57 PM
Haha, I loved the dwarf in the 1st one. Reminds me of another dwarf(can't remember which...).

Dave Halfbreed
2013-03-25, 05:54 PM
There's a third one? The first one is only worth seeing for how enjoyably terrible it is (and Jeremy Irons turns in one of the most memorable performances of all time), and I'd like to see the second one since I heard it's good, but I had no idea this movie existed!

jedipilot24
2013-03-26, 10:20 AM
Tom Baker can play an elf any time he wants, just as long as he gets to offer them a jelly baby afterwards... anybody noticed he played an elven cleric?

I think he was the only one in the entire first movie (I meant an actual cleric!:smallconfused:)... certainly makes me feel better about playing cleric's in d&d!:smallwink:

I thought he was a druid but whatever.

Hopeless
2013-03-26, 02:03 PM
I thought he was a druid but whatever.

That works too since I didn't see him try to turn any undead, would also explain how Snails ended up as a bird actually!:smallbiggrin: