PDA

View Full Version : The Scrying Eye in #698

Terrador
2013-03-10, 05:49 PM
In the last two panels (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html), you can see a scrying eye. Eugene Greenhilt is known to cast in green, as is the Oracle (both the mouth at the beginning and the casting trance)... but why would they be scrying there at that time? Girard's family is dead. Serini isn't old enough to be guaranteed as dead yet, but she can't cast; maybe a scroll, or a current associate? I can't recall anyone else of note who casts in green, and I'm at a loss.

mrzomby
2013-03-10, 05:54 PM
Nale's dark elf wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwizard. Nale talks about how drizit scried on them.

VanaGalen
2013-03-10, 06:04 PM
Yup. Nale indirectly admits scrying on them here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0801.html). A couple of strips earlier you can see Zz'dtri's colour of magic and compare.

Mutant Sheep
2013-03-10, 06:05 PM
To supplement, here is the Giant.

Yes, the scrying beacon was Zz'dtri, checking up on Elan at Nale's request. It was primarily a bit of foreshadowing that Zz'dtri was coming back, since at that point no one expected him to ever show up again. You'll note that Nale confirms that he's been keeping tabs on Elan right after Z reveals himself (both to V and the reader).
Courtesy of: The Phantasm's Index of the Giant's Comments, of whose thread I am too lazy to link to.

SavageWombat
2013-03-10, 07:51 PM
Seriously, what is it about this particular question that it keeps coming up?

rgrekejin
2013-03-10, 08:07 PM

I dunno. It seems highly plot-relevant and that it was Z doing the scrying is apparently not completely obvious to everybody?

At least the scrying wasn't being carried out by someone with a blue magical aura in the middle of a downpour.

Because then we'd have blue eyes scryin' in the rain. ...what? That's what the title of the thread made me think of! I'm sorry, I'll stop now.

Leirus
2013-03-10, 08:10 PM

When re-reading the comic it is a very obvious dangling plot, specially if you do not remember Zz'drit, which is quite easy, so people wonders...

DoctorWhooves
2013-03-10, 08:23 PM
I swear someone asks this three times a week.

It's so obvious it's Zz'dtri.

137beth
2013-03-10, 09:02 PM
I swear someone asks this three times a week.

It's so obvious it's Zz'dtri.

Apparently not, unless you are suggesting that most people who ask it already know the answer and think it is obvious but ask anyways. Otherwise, it wouldn't be asked three times per week (which it isn't):smalltongue:

Gift Jeraff
2013-03-10, 10:25 PM
For some reason, it's been asked more frequently than usual this past month or two.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-03-11, 10:00 PM
Apparently not, unless you are suggesting that most people who ask it already know the answer and think it is obvious but ask anyways. Otherwise, it wouldn't be asked three times per week (which it isn't):smalltongue:

Obvious to the (many) people who never asked?

mootoall
2013-03-13, 01:50 AM
I dunno. It seems highly plot-relevant and that it was Z doing the scrying is apparently not completely obvious to everybody?

At least the scrying wasn't being carried out by someone with a blue magical aura in the middle of a downpour.

Because then we'd have blue eyes scryin' in the rain. ...what? That's what the title of the thread made me think of! I'm sorry, I'll stop now.

I was thinking about how it's so difficult to detect Scrying spells.

'Cause you can't hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide those Scrying eyes.

Flame of Anor
2013-03-13, 02:28 AM
Well, even if it weren't Zz'dtri, we'd know it wasn't Bret or Jemaine.

"I'm not Scrying. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGes7FDmHAM)"