PDA

View Full Version : evaluate my gestalt build for mistakes and playability

morkendi
2013-03-10, 10:39 PM
We have three people and will switch dming between us. I like to plan ahead atleast the first 10 lvls so I know what to do ahead of time. This is what I have come up with.

Stat rolls are 12 plus 1d6 and agreed on a race as we will all be the same. We chose elf. Stats after rolls and adjustments at first lvl are.

Str 16, dex 19, con 16, int 18, wis 13, cha 15. All lvl advancements will go to int.

Build as follows
1st through 5th are wizard scout. 6th and 7th are wiz/ ranger. 8th on will be wiz/dervish.

We are allowed 2 flaws, so the feats I took are colligiate wizard,dodge,mobility,improved skirmish, extend spell, persist spell, and quicken spell. I stayed normal wizard to get the bonus feats

This nets me 3d6 skirmish damage plus improved skirmeish when aplicable, 45 feat of movement, evation, the abilty to persist buffs as well as quicken things like true strike and such. I plan on spells like heart of water so I can cast battlefield control stuff but as a free action, get freedom of movement. Things like black tenticles that grapple enemy while I can move through and attack them. I plan on duel wielding scimitars as the will be considered light weapons with a good crit range that will be made keen. With haste, I should do a lot of damage as well as many class abilities will work well together.

I end up 2 behind in bab with 9 fort/ 14 reflex/ 8 will. Character seems like it would be very playable and fit the elf concept well. Any advice would be appreciated.

Artillery
2013-03-10, 11:18 PM
Think about taking the Swift Hunter Feat so that your Ranger and Scout levels stack for Favored Enemy and Skirmish bonuses. Also you always can do skirmish dmg to favored enemies even if they are normally immune. So you could get Skirmish dmg against two favored enemies. I would recommend Undead and another immune to critical but depends on amount in your campaign, constructs or elemental usually. So with Swift Hunter you get 2 Favored Enemy, 2d6 Skirmish, 2 AC Skirmish. If you move at least 20ft you get 4d6 skirmish and 4 AC Skirmish. This means that even you can make most of your ranged touch attack spells amazing.

Example: Ray of frost is a lvl 0 wizard spell that does 1d3 cold dmg. If you move 20ft and are within 30ft of your target it now does 1d3+4d6dmg.
Scorching Ray is a lvl 2 wizard spell that does 4d6 fire dmg. If you move 20ft and are within 30ft of your target it now does 4d6+4d6dmg. This would go to multiple rays so at your starting lvl of 8 you would get 2 rays that do 8d6 for a lvl 2 spell.

The rest of looks good. Maybe take 3 levels of Duskblade so you can channel touch spells into your melee weapons?

ksbsnowowl
2013-03-11, 12:29 AM
Just run the idea of swift hunter by your DM first. He might not be okay with the class feature stacking on top of gestalt, but then again, he might. But if you are only going to Scout 5/Ranger 2, swift hunter wouldn't be worth the feat investment, really. Well, maybe... You'd get an extra favored enemy, which might be worth it, but probably not.

Oh, and Scout 5 doesn't equate to 3d6 skirmish, only 2d6.

I'd look into getting the Acidic Splatter reserve feat from Complete Mage. All-day-long ranged touch attack with which to inflict skirmish damage.

morkendi
2013-03-11, 07:05 AM
I plan to persist mage armor and shield and such. Most my spells will be persisted buffs and battle field control. If I freedom of movement myself, I could dervish dance through solid fog,web, grease, black tentacles and such. Persist expeadious retreat and have crazy movement plus full attacks as dervish. Greater inviso and such before combat if able.