PDA

View Full Version : Pirate Town

Frotchie92
2013-03-11, 01:16 AM
Ok, so we are doing a round-robin campaign for Pathfinder, and it is my turn to GM. We are level 7s, and I wanted to set up some scenarios that have to do with a pirate town, and maybe some on the ocean as well. Are there any ideas or suggestions you guys could give me? I have a couple things in mind, but I am always lookin' for something better and/or cooler. Thanks! :biggrin:

Zanthy1
2013-03-11, 01:18 AM
I may be a little bias on this subject, but what about sending the ship with us players on it somewhere, maybe as pirates, and try to rob and or sink something? See if pathfinder has any special stuffs for sailing and naval combat

Frotchie92
2013-03-11, 01:20 AM
Dude, Zanthy, you're part of this campaign. Get off the thread =P
But thank you!

Malroth
2013-03-11, 02:05 AM
The town drunk is tired of being picked on an beaten up by the other pirates and he's gotten ahold of something that he thinks is a ritual that he thinks will let him sell his soul for power (trade in his generic Warrior levels for Warlock) He attempts to hire the PC's to acquire some of the more difficult to obtain ingredients but isn't particularly forthcoming when it comes to why he needs things like wood from a tree killed by lightning and the blood of an ogre.

Zanthy1
2013-03-11, 10:09 AM
Irregardless of what the actual quest is, pirate accents are a must

Malroth
2013-03-11, 11:27 AM
Some strange supernatural curse is spreading around the town, it forces everyone to speak in "ARRRR"s "AYE"s "MATEY"s and "AVAST"s

Zanthy1
2013-03-11, 11:29 AM
Some strange supernatural curse is spreading around the town, it forces everyone to speak in "ARRRR"s "AYE"s "MATEY"s and "AVAST"s

And many timbers were shivered

Krobar
2013-03-11, 11:37 AM
Here's what I did for a sea-borne campaign. First, I had every player roll up two characters. Then, I shanghaied them.

Take all their gear away and put them aboard a pirate vessel as slaves along with several other people. Maybe kill one or two of them if they try to resist (hence the two characters I mentioned), as a lesson to the rest. Eventually they can seize control of the ship and become pirates themselves, raid some coastal towns, attack and plunder some other ships, and become the scourge of the seas. Having other people taken as slaves at the same time as the PCs should provide sufficient numbers for a crew (as well as a good source for their second PC should they need it).

Or perhaps they don't take control of the ship. They actually get sold into slavery halfway around the world, eventually escape in between the beatings and floggings and steal a ship.

For inspiration and ideas, see the movie Captain Blood.

But regardless, since your players seem intent on reading this thread, I would put them in chains and take all their gear. :smallwink:

Spiryt
2013-03-11, 11:46 AM
Well, just for the record, pirating is obviosuly very old and also rather ubiquitous profession. :smallwink:

So you in fact have great deal of just historical examples of all kinds of pirate settlements - so specifying what setting/culture/landscape you have in mind would be helpful.

JusticeZero
2013-03-11, 11:49 AM
Or you could do a pirate town adventure that *isn't* on the boats this time. See, "pirate towns" live on their buccaneers too, and also on the trade ships who buy the boar on the island ("boucan") and trade for other foodstuffs. So if some sea-based monster empire - merfolk maybe, or aquatic elves or some such thing - take offense at the pirates (maybe for good reason, maybe a misunderstanding, probably both) and start sabotaging the dock and making it so the ships can't dock at the town anymore? Someone is going to need to go down there and clear this up.

Zanthy1
2013-03-11, 02:27 PM
Here's what I did for a sea-borne campaign. First, I had every player roll up two characters. Then, I shanghaied them.

Take all their gear away and put them aboard a pirate vessel as slaves along with several other people. Maybe kill one or two of them if they try to resist (hence the two characters I mentioned), as a lesson to the rest. Eventually they can seize control of the ship and become pirates themselves, raid some coastal towns, attack and plunder some other ships, and become the scourge of the seas. Having other people taken as slaves at the same time as the PCs should provide sufficient numbers for a crew (as well as a good source for their second PC should they need it).

Or perhaps they don't take control of the ship. They actually get sold into slavery halfway around the world, eventually escape in between the beatings and floggings and steal a ship.

For inspiration and ideas, see the movie Captain Blood.

But regardless, since your players seem intent on reading this thread, I would put them in chains and take all their gear. :smallwink:

I really like your ideas, and I find the idea of having all my stuff taken and forced into slavery actually a really cool concept. The campaign has already started and we have 1 character though, but it is a good headway!

Zombulian
2013-03-11, 02:36 PM
I really like your ideas, and I find the idea of having all my stuff taken and forced into slavery actually a really cool concept. The campaign has already started and we have 1 character though, but it is a good headway!

Dude what are you still doing here.

GeriSch
2013-03-11, 02:51 PM
I recommend reading Isles of the Shackles, a country / many isles which are solely run by pirates.

Arrr,
Geri

Zanthy1
2013-03-11, 03:29 PM
Dude what are you still doing here.

Fair enough! Good Luck!