PDA

View Full Version : The Flash - Suggestions for Speed

Jade_Tarem
2006-11-14, 02:17 AM
As the name implies, this thread has to do with really fast movement and suggestions for same. I'm going to try to seperate it into categories that allow some freedom but that don't compare level 5 to level 20. Prohibitions? No teleporting of any form. No epic.

Groupings are: 1-7, 8-14, 15-20

Here's one to start off:

Category 1-7 if druid, 15-20 for arcanist
Druid can wildshape early on... as early as the mid single digits. At first, he can wildshape only into small or medium animals. However, while frequently overlooked in favor of wolf or wolverine, the cheetah caught my eye. I know I shouldn't be surprised but the mechanical advanage is immense. The cheetah's base movement is 50ft per round. However, once in a while (hour, i think) they can charge at 10x their base land speed - 500 feet in one round. The interesting thing is that a druid with a lot of wild shape, or a wizard with a shapechange (or maybe a lesser version?) going, could morph into a different cheetah every other round/every round and do the same move again. That's fast... Think about how many carefully constructed chase scenes could be destroyed like that! I only pray the twink in my group never finds it (fortunately, he was in another city when I found out and blurted it out the first time).

I'm kinda curious to see what other speedsters can be created.

Have fun! Other than no teleporting or epics, there's no limit to pushing the speed on your proposal - the race is on.

Cybren
2006-11-14, 02:23 AM
let's see...
a centaur has 50ft base speed, 4 racial hit dice, and a +2 LA...
so a 13 monk/1barb centaur has a base speed of 100ft (50ft base + 40' monk + 10' barb).
WIth the run feat you can run at x5 wearing medium/light armor.
So that's your 500'/round right there...

Thomas
2006-11-14, 02:24 AM
Charging 500 feet in 6 seconds (57 mph/91 kmph) is less useful than you might think at first - it has to in a straight line, and the wording is exacting: "when it makes a charge." This means you have to move directly at an opponent and attack them. (If you've got Spring Attack, I guess you could keep moving past them.)

This means it's no use outside of fighting situations (though I guess you could charge and grapple someone who's running away), and the usefulness is limited by the fact that you need a clear 500-foot stretch with no obstructions or difficult terrain in the way.

Rahdjan
2006-11-14, 02:26 AM
let's see...
a centaur has 50ft base speed, 4 racial hit dice, and a +2 LA...
so a 13 monk/1barb centaur has a base speed of 100ft (50ft base + 40' monk + 10' barb).
WIth the run feat you can run at x5 wearing medium/light armor.
So that's your 500'/round right there...

Can't be a monk and barb

Skyserpent
2006-11-14, 02:27 AM
Yes you can, Monks keep all their abilities even if they change alignment.

Plug in the Dash feat for another few squares

Cybren
2006-11-14, 02:28 AM
on another note giant eagles only have a +2 LA and an 80ft fly speed..

PinkysBrain
2006-11-14, 02:30 AM
Thomas, from a common sense point of view it's silly not to let a player charge outside of combat. From a rules point of view it isn't correct either, you can charge and attack thin air if you want. Also you can charge and choose not to make an attack at the end of a charge ... so whether you use common sense or the RAW, you can use the cheetah's charge whenever you want.

Jade_Tarem
2006-11-14, 02:40 AM
This means you have to move directly at an opponent and attack them.

"I'm attacking the darkness!" :smalltongue:

Miles Invictus
2006-11-14, 03:17 AM
Assuming LA buyoff or somesuch and another party member who's a really, really awesome person...

Centaur: 50 base land speed.
Barbarian 1: +10 unnamed bonus to base land speed.
Monk 18: +60 enhancement bonus to base land speed.
Letting a Marshal 20 ride on your back: +20 competence bonus to base land speed. (Motivate Urgency aura)

Bam. 140 feet per round. That's base. No double moves, no running. What's more, your high-level Marshal can grant you bonus move actions. Five times per day, you can move 280 feet per round and still have a standard action to charge, attack, or move another 140 feet.

Golthur
2006-11-14, 11:20 AM
Assuming LA buyoff or somesuch and another party member who's a really, really awesome person...

Letting a Marshal 20 ride on your back: +20 competence bonus to base land speed. (Motivate Urgency aura)

Bam. 140 feet per round. That's base. No double moves, no running. What's more, your high-level Marshal can grant you bonus move actions. Five times per day, you can move 280 feet per round and still have a standard action to charge, attack, or move another 140 feet.
OK, that's just wrong somehow... :belkar:

pestilenceawaits
2006-11-14, 12:07 PM
there is a with a 40 base speed in the planar handbook (can't remember the name) put this with monk and a caster of some sort into the dancing blade prestige class from the oriental adventures book and your base speed at 20 will be over 120

pestilenceawaits
2006-11-14, 12:08 PM
I forgot "race"

adanedhel9
2006-11-14, 01:54 PM
If you are going for pure speed (not necessarily movement speed), my favorite is the Horizon Walker with Shifting Planar Terrain Mastery.

Every 1d4 rounds, dimension door up to 800 ft. away... which averages out to 320 ft. per round, not counting any movement you take between dimension doors. Assuming a centaur character with 1 level in Barbarian and the Dash and Run feats, and you have a total average all-out speed of 645 ft. per round, And you can do this all day long, and you rarely have to worry about obstacles.

And with any of these, just hope you don't get hit with confusion and roll "Flee away from caster at top possible speed".

adanedhel "Speaks from Experience" 9

Captain van der Decken
2006-11-14, 02:17 PM
No teleporting though, I guess that includes Dimension Door.

Anything with a fly speed, and lots of monk levels, while flying down for double speed.

I've seen boots that allow you to choose your direction of gravity mentioned on the boards. Probably custom item using reverse gravity.

Tibor
2006-11-14, 03:23 PM

You can also use horse shoes of speed for an additional +30 feet.

Jack Mann
2006-11-14, 03:56 PM

You're forgetting racial hit dice. Even with LA buy-off, that's still a max of 1 level of barb and fifteen in monk before you hit epic level.

Khantalas
2006-11-14, 03:59 PM

In addition to all above, a self-respecting Centaur will never be used as a mount.

vanyell
2006-11-14, 04:29 PM
half celestial monk/16
boots of striding+jumping (or whatever they are called

30 (base)
50 (monk)
10 (boots)
90 total

X2 fly speed

180' with a good manouverability

Khantalas
2006-11-14, 04:38 PM
half celestial monk/16
boots of striding+jumping (or whatever they are called

30 (base)
50 (monk)
10 (boots)
90 total

X2 fly speed

180' with a good manouverability

Fly speed is double a half celestial's base speed, not total speed. And the boots of striding and springing do not increase fly speed. Neither does levels in monk.

MrNexx
2006-11-14, 04:41 PM
Fly speed is double a half celestial's base speed, not total speed. And the boots of striding and springing do not increase fly speed. Neither does levels in monk.

Actually, it's twice the base creature's speed, not twice the half-celestial's base speed. If the half-celestial template were acquired after the levels of monk, then it would be reasonable to say that the monk speed would double.

vanyell
2006-11-14, 04:42 PM
... I have been playing wrong for a while then...
I looked it up and will have to correct that in my games

Khantalas
2006-11-14, 04:53 PM
Actually, it's twice the base creature's speed, not twice the half-celestial's base speed. If the half-celestial template were acquired after the levels of monk, then it would be reasonable to say that the monk speed would double.

That was what I was trying to mean. Although how DO you acquire half-celestial after gaining levels? It is, I quote, an inherited template.

Well, now that I think about, there are rituals to gain half-fiend as a template, so half-celestial as an acquired template is plausible.

ishi
2006-11-14, 05:00 PM
Is the monk bonus a bonus to base land speed? It's just listed as an enhancement bonus. Doesn't this also means that it doesn't stack with Boots of Striding and Springing?

Bryn
2006-11-14, 05:04 PM
Take a level or two of Psychic Warrior for the powers Skate and that other one that has a name I can't remember - more bonuses to speed. In addition, there are some psionic feats that boost it as well, IIRC. I don't know how well those stack, however.

Jack_Simth
2006-11-14, 06:02 PM
Let's see... at 7th, a Phantom Steed cast by a Sorcerer has a move of 140. Haste adds 30 feet (for 1 round/level, so 7 rounds). For 7 rounds, the horse has a move of 170. It gets better. There's the Spur Mount option in Ride - dealing 1 point of damage to the Phantom Steed (on the first round) gives it +10 to it's Move - so it has a Move of 180 (for one round, maybe two or three - no way is it surviving round number 4, though). And that's a Move - Running, well, it gets 4 times that, for 720 feet for however many rounds it survives. Putting a Marshal with the Urgency Aura on it boosts it up to a move of 200, for 800 feet per round (yes, this requires two characters. So? The marshall can carry the halfling Sorcerer, it'll be within the weight limit. Maybe the Marshal is actually a cohort. Who cares?).

At 14th, you have an extra 100 feet on the Phantom Steed's Move, *4 for running, so a final per-round of 1200 feet. Oh, and it flies. For however long it lasts.

At 20th, you use the Sorcerer Incantrix with Persistent Spell and Time Stop. Strictly speaking, Time Stop is a personal spell with a non-instantaneous duration. The Incantrix 1/day ability to apply metamagic to a spell without cost lets the Incantrix put Persistent Spell on the Time Stop. And get a full day to do whatever. If the Incantrix spends 8 hours of that resting, he can cast another Persistant Time Stop when the first expires. From anywhere, to anywhere, with no teleportation, in the space of the inital action (as far as outside observers are concerned....). Can also be done with a Cleric that has Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell) and the Trickery Domain (for Time Stop), although with the limitation that the Cleric has to prepare spells at a particular time of day, and can't keep it up to live a lifetime in a moment.

silentknight
2006-11-14, 07:50 PM
Most dragons have a fly speed of at least 200, some as high as 250. Not to mention that dragons can hustle for longer than most other creatures. Add magic enhancement or certain class levels and thats a faaaaast critter.

storybookknight
2006-11-14, 09:49 PM
For simple land speeds, the Varag (MM4) beats the Centaur, having a base land speed of 60', and both Run and Spring Attack as bonus feats. (and Scout as a favored class.)

Using the Fast trait from Unearthed Arcana (-1 hp/level), a 1st level Varag Barbarian can move a respectable 400 feet in a round.

Psykopig
2007-04-20, 05:44 AM
You could try a were-cheeta monk it has a 50ft base speed in hybrid as well as a sprint that you can move at 10x speed once per hour.

Darkxarth
2007-04-20, 07:18 AM
At 20th, you use the Sorcerer Incantrix with Persistent Spell and Time Stop. Strictly speaking, Time Stop is a personal spell with a non-instantaneous duration. The Incantrix 1/day ability to apply metamagic to a spell without cost lets the Incantrix put Persistent Spell on the Time Stop. And get a full day to do whatever. If the Incantrix spends 8 hours of that resting, he can cast another Persistant Time Stop when the first expires. From anywhere, to anywhere, with no teleportation, in the space of the inital action (as far as outside observers are concerned....). Can also be done with a Cleric that has Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell) and the Trickery Domain (for Time Stop), although with the limitation that the Cleric has to prepare spells at a particular time of day, and can't keep it up to live a lifetime in a moment.

:smalleek:

You win.

The rest of you can stop posting now.

Arbitrarity
2007-04-20, 07:27 AM
According to erata on time stop, the duration isn't "duration" really, it's a variable numeric effect.

In short, no persist. No extend. You can maximise, etc, but the others are just abusive.

Now, a time stop with a running, hasted phantom steed might work OK.

Anyone for swiftblade :P?

BardicDuelist
2007-04-20, 07:29 AM
Darn, you two beat me to it: I was going to say a Varag (I was recently hunted down by one with water walk cast on it...it out ran my ship...)

The awakened cheeta monk or scout would work really well too.

For either choice, take dash, a level of barbarian, and the fast trait from Ua.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-20, 09:38 AM
Xeph Barbarian 1/Cleric 1/Druid 7 with the Celerity domain = Base land speed of 50', between 60' and 80' while bursting, and between 600' and 800' while bursting in cheetah form and running.

Ashdate
2007-04-20, 11:04 AM
I'd just make a character with 20 ranks of Quickness and 20 Ranks of super-speed. Spend the points to be able to vibrate through walls and walk on water and voila. The Flash!

Oh wait, right d20 system, wrong game...

- Eddie

Jupp
2007-04-20, 11:24 AM
How about the Blade Dancer out of Oriental Adventures? He gets more or less double base land speed at level 1, which progresses to triple at level 10. Don't really know how this mixes/stacks with other abilities, but may be worth a try.

Person_Man
2007-04-20, 11:27 AM
Wizard 5/Wildshape Ranger 5/Swiftblade 10

Wildshape Ranger gets +10 movement
Take Natural Spell
Wildshape into a Cheetah
In Cheetah form, use Swiftblade extra actions and Time stop crazyness

Also, its worth mentioning that I've found that movement above 40 ft. per round is usually meaningless. The hex board is only so large, and a normal PC can usually run across the entire map in one or two turns. And even if it helps you get to exactly where you need to be quickly, figures tend to clump together in melee combat afterward the first round. Plus everyone else in your group will probably have 20 or 30 feet of movement, so high speed hit and run tactics can't be pulled off unless you're alone.

magicwalker
2007-04-20, 11:52 AM
I'm suprised no one mentioned the Peregrine Runner PrC. Run indefinitely and get bonuses to base land speed.