PDA

View Full Version : For anyone who wants to look like a samurai [Feat]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-11-14, 03:36 AM
Agile Samurai
You've trained all your life to be a master swordsman, and an agile one at that.
Benefit: When wielding a bastardsword (or katana) in both hands you use your Dexterity modifier for both attack and damage rolls in place of Strength.
Normal: You use your Strength modifier for both attack and damage rolls.
Special: If a Monk takes this feat at first level he may use a bastardsword as a special monk weapon. If not proficient with bastardswords he must use it in both hands.
Special: This feat can be taken at first level only.

Just kinda pulled this one from nowhere, so whatcha think?

Jarl
2006-11-14, 03:52 AM
It seems overpowered.

-Then again, it makes for a truly and finally awesome monk.

Exalted_Hater
2006-11-14, 04:14 AM
Weapon Finesse: Bastardsword? better add a BAB pre-req, i'm thinking 12
good for flavor!

Miles Invictus
2006-11-14, 04:29 AM
I don't think it's all that overpowered. Fighters and other martial classes will still need loads of strength for all of the gear they're expected to carry. Monks have reduced BAB, don't get to use armor or shields, and depending on who you talk to, Monks need too many high ability scores as it is.

Besides, if you want to use it one-handed, you've still got to burn an EWP feat.

Tangential Idea: A feat that lets you use the benefits of the Duelist class while wielding a Katana two-handed.

grinner666
2006-11-14, 10:02 AM
*sighs* Why does everyone who plays OA want to look like Miyamoto Musashi?

Overpowered. Monks aren't supposed to be able to use massive-damage weapons like the bastard sword and gain bonus attacks with them. Also, Miles Invictus: a monk would HAVE to take the exotic WP (or burn the feat on the martial WP to no good use) or he'd be fighting with a -4 penalty. So that argument doesn't work.

Illogical for two reasons: First, the only feats I've ever seen that can only be taken at first level come from birthright, not training. How can becoming more skilled at fighting disqualify a character for a weapons maneuver? Second, the reason light weapons are used for Weapon Finesse is that, though they're not very good at all at smashing through armor, they're VERY good at finding the weak spots (joints, spaces chainmail, etc.) The exact opposite is true of the bastard sword and katana. Their weight and size make them excellent cleave-through-protection weapons, but their size and manner of use make them poor, at best, at sneaking between joint openings and eyeholes and the like.

XtheYeti
2006-11-14, 10:07 AM
Weapon Finesse: Bastardsword? better add a BAB pre-req, i'm thinking 12
good for flavor!
Definitly, but maybe just 8, plus must have EWP

Pegasos989
2006-11-14, 11:38 AM
Weapon finesse + shadow blade (BoNS) together are less good, because neither applies to bastard sword, etc. (Okay, they apply to spiked chain but bah... it is a problem with SC and not the feat)
Also, it would be worth 3rd feat to make those a monk weapon.

Not to mention how illogival it is. I kinda disagree with grinner about Katana being excellent to punch through armor and think that it is better exactly against low-armored opponents (such as those in feudal japan) but still, it is certainly not finessable weapon like light weapons and rapier (well, DnD rapier is though original is a lot less agile).

So it is essentially 3 feats in one, illogical and against the idea of monk weapons.

And it can be taken at level 1.

Add requirements of BAB +8, profiency with the selected weapon, weapon focus with the selected weapon and weapon finesse (that feat still adds it to finessable weapons...)

Still strong feat but the prequisites should balance it out well.

Khantalas
2006-11-14, 12:47 PM
I don't know about the damage thing, but a level of Iaijutsu Master already lets you add your Dex modifier to attack rolls in place of your Strength modifier.

But no, a bastard sword isn't supposed to be a specail monk weapon with a feat that has other benefits. See Eberron Campaign Setting for examples of such feats.

grinner666
2006-11-14, 12:56 PM
I don't know about the damage thing, but a level of Iaijutsu Master already lets you add your Dex modifier to attack rolls in place of your Strength modifier.

But no, a bastard sword isn't supposed to be a specail monk weapon with a feat that has other benefits. See Eberron Campaign Setting for examples of such feats.

That's a class ability, not a feat just anyone can take. It takes considerable play and planning to qualify for the Iaijutsu Master PrC. This is something you can (must) take at 1st level.

Khantalas
2006-11-14, 01:16 PM
Well, Weapon Finesse that can be applied to a bastard sword is too strong to be a feat. That can be taken at 1st level.

Query: If one has this feat, does it let you apply 1,5 x Dex modifier to damage when you wield your bastard sword two-handed?

TheOOB
2006-11-14, 02:16 PM
When something is specifically not allowed in the D&D rules (in this case using your dex mod for attacks with a bastard sword with a feat), then you can't get around it just by using a feat, especially when that feat does more then the feat your emulating.

I could see this as a PrC class ability, a magic item quality, or even a spell, but not a feat. It's established that a feat can make you able to use your dex mod for attacks only with light weapons.

Serakus_DeSardis
2006-11-14, 02:27 PM
I have to agree with alot of the above posts.

This feat is way too overpowered, and honestly its poorly named.

It reads like someone with a monk wants to use a bastard sword and just made up a feat to justify it.

Also, my own homebrew house rules allowe katanas as light weapons (because heh go figure they are light)

but a bastard sword definetly doesn't fit the bill.

grinner666
2006-11-14, 03:00 PM
Also, my own homebrew house rules allowe katanas as light weapons (because heh go figure they are light)

Katanas are not light weapons ... trust a man who spent three years learning kata with one. They are heavier and bigger than a European long or broad sword. Definitely a Strength weapon.