PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Appearances

gurgleflep
2013-03-11, 02:05 PM
Hello :smallsmile: I've got a question based on the warforged.
Would it be possible to have it shaped like a dwarf, orc, illithid, gnoll, etc.? The one seen in the book has a basic human shape, and I'd like to know if they could be made to look more like whichever race has created them.

Cranthis
2013-03-11, 02:08 PM
Hello :smallsmile: I've got a question based on the warforged.
Would it be possible to have it shaped like a dwarf, orc, illithid, gnoll, etc.? The one seen in the book has a basic human shape, and I'd like to know if they could be made to look more like whichever race has created them.

I don't see why not. Simply reflavor them with your dm's help or approval.

gurgleflep
2013-03-11, 02:11 PM
I don't see why not. Simply reflavor them with your dm's help or approval.

Seeing as I'm the DM for the campaign in question, I think the approval will be granted :smallwink:
Would the (for lack of a better name) flay-forged still be able to extract brains?

Cranthis
2013-03-11, 02:13 PM
Seeing as I'm the DM for the campaign in question, I think the approval will be granted :smallwink:
Would the (for lack of a better name) flay-forged still be able to extract brains?

I'm not sure where you got this brain removal idea from, but sure, why not. Anyone can crack someones head open and pull out a brain.

Edit: Oh wait, I see, Mindflayer Warforged.
Then yeah, since you are the dm, you can do anything you wish to them.

Gazzien
2013-03-11, 02:14 PM

Not unless you fiat'ed it, or found another way within RAW.

Adding an ability changes the mechanics, whereas changing the form only gives it a slightly different appearance and flavor, while not actually affecting how it plays.

That's my thoughts, at least? I'm not as good as some/most/all of the other people on this board...

gurgleflep
2013-03-11, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure where you got this brain removal idea from, but sure, why not. Anyone can crack someones head open and pull out a brain.

Illithid creators is where I got the idea. They eat brains, so if a particularly slothful and glutinous one were to need help getting food... Hey, it's got a butler.

The Viscount
2013-03-11, 03:30 PM
I would hesitate to actually give illithid-appearing warforged the ability to extract brains. It make CR-ing them rather difficult. You could certainly make your players think these things had the ability.

If you wanted to make a construct illithid-esque being, you could refluff a thoon hulk from MMV.

Now I'm wondering: If an illlithid grapples another and attempts extraction, would it work? I know illithids don't really have brains, per se, but would the extraction of the grown tadpole kill an illithid?

Shining Wrath
2013-03-11, 03:58 PM
First - warforged in the books have several different appearances; standard, mithral, adamantine, Scout, et cetera. Then there's the Constructs. So you can have a warforged that looks like anything you want.

Second - warforged don't need to eat.

Third - Per second poiont, an illithid-shaped warforged wouldn't need to suck out brains for its own consumption. However, it is not beyond an intelligent race to include a reservoir within the warforged, give it a proboscis similar to that of a butterfly, and have it suck out brains. Then the brains could be regurgitated and consumed by an Illithid.

Fourth - you could leave the poor picked-on warforged out of this and just have specially bred brain-sucking giant butterflies.

Octopusapult
2013-03-11, 04:46 PM
just have specially bred brain-sucking giant butterflies.

This is maybe the coolest thing I have ever read.

----------On Topic----------

Warforged could easily come in any shape as the other posters have mentioned. It's up to you to find a balanced and interesting way to flesh and flavor them up. Just use the base Warforged and Scout / Chargers as an example.

There is also a book about hybrid races somewhere out there that had stats for half-illithids. Those might be useful to your endeavors.

Annos
2013-03-11, 05:08 PM
Give the Ilithid-forged an illithid graft:smallwink:

Rethmar
2013-03-11, 05:45 PM
Similar to what Shining Wrath said about the storage i guess.

I got a lot of imagery out of it. Maybe not a warforged necessarily, but a construct made by illithids.

It can extract brains (like the flayer) and then store them inside the chest cavity (hollow stomach), which could be filled with some kind of liquid to preserve the brains for long excursions.

It wouldn't really be based off of an existing construct, but you could certainly make something like that as the DM.

Rejusu
2013-03-11, 08:01 PM
There's a chain of Illithid feats in Complete Psionic that culminates in "Illithid Extraction". Although it's both feat intensive and awful compared the actual extraction ability. Bizarrely though a Warforged can qualify for taking the first feat in the chain (Illithid Heritage) despite not technically having a bloodline to be polluted by Illithid influence. Maybe they tinkered with your creation forge?

TheGeckoKing
2013-03-11, 08:38 PM
On the second-to-last page of this downloadable module (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20061017a), there's the Clockwork Mask of the Mind Flayer, which can give a Warforged all the gribbly tentacles and brain-eating prowess he/she/it desires.

Fyermind
2013-03-11, 08:49 PM
I would say this is an acceptable reason to give the Half illithid template from Fiend Folio to a creature that couldn't possibly have inherited it.

If I was doing it though I would refluff Jaws of Death to look like four tentacles and have them use the Coup De Grace action described as cracking open the skull and and removing the brain. IFF the coup de grace succeeds.

I think I have to write this adventure now. Thanks for the ideas.

gurgleflep
2013-03-11, 11:03 PM
First - warforged in the books have several different appearances; standard, mithral, adamantine, Scout, et cetera. Then there's the Constructs. So you can have a warforged that looks like anything you want.

Second - warforged don't need to eat.

Third - Per second poiont, an illithid-shaped warforged wouldn't need to suck out brains for its own consumption. However, it is not beyond an intelligent race to include a reservoir within the warforged, give it a proboscis similar to that of a butterfly, and have it suck out brains. Then the brains could be regurgitated and consumed by an Illithid.

Fourth - you could leave the poor picked-on warforged out of this and just have specially bred brain-sucking giant butterflies.

Butterflies? Okay, this is by far the most hilarious - but epic - idea I've heard of in the history of ever. You deserve a gold star... for lack of a better idea of what to give you...

Similar to what Shining Wrath said about the storage i guess.

I got a lot of imagery out of it. Maybe not a warforged necessarily, but a construct made by illithids.

It can extract brains (like the flayer) and then store them inside the chest cavity (hollow stomach), which could be filled with some kind of liquid to preserve the brains for long excursions.

It wouldn't really be based off of an existing construct, but you could certainly make something like that as the DM.

So something along the lines of a live well in fishing. Keeps the brain fresh and "living." Keeps brain fresh for D12 hours or something to that effect.

On the second-to-last page of this downloadable module (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20061017a), there's the Clockwork Mask of the Mind Flayer, which can give a Warforged all the gribbly tentacles and brain-eating prowess he/she/it desires.

I'm not currently on my computer (mine's in the shop getting fixed), so I'm unable to download it at the moment. Could you give me an idea of what it does?

I would say this is an acceptable reason to give the Half illithid template from Fiend Folio to a creature that couldn't possibly have inherited it.

If I was doing it though I would refluff Jaws of Death to look like four tentacles and have them use the Coup De Grace action described as cracking open the skull and and removing the brain. IFF the coup de grace succeeds.

I think I have to write this adventure now. Thanks for the ideas.

What book would I be able to find Jaws of Death in? As a group, we've got most of the books for 3.5, but I've got no access to them right now. Use it as you wish, I claim no rights to the ideas!

Also, sorry for taking so long to reply, I was out on the town with a couple friends (whilst wearing my "razorback" teeth from Dental Distortions).

Fyermind
2013-03-12, 01:11 AM
Jaws of death is from races of eberron and gives a warforged a bite attack.