PDA

View Full Version : Creative ways for a sorcerer to get out of restraints.

Asrrin
2013-03-11, 02:52 PM
It's not happened yet, but I like to be prepared for the worst situations. I'm currently a level 1 sorc, so the lower level the idea, the better. I have or will have Eschew Materials and Still Spell, but don't have the spare feats in my build to pick up Silent Spell. My background info has everyone convinced I'm a wizard, I even carry a spellbook, so If I ever do get captured I would most likely have the advantage of surprise with me.

I know Shatter is a standard way, however that's pretty much the only time I'd ever use it, and I'd rather not spend a precious spell known for such a niche situation. I will if it's the only feasible option, however it does require verbal components even with Eschew and Still, so if I get gagged I'm screwed.

Alter Self is another option, I am a Silverbrow human so I get an expanded list of forms to choose from, what would be a good thing to alter into? Again however, it's got a verbal component.

Any other ideas?

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-11, 02:55 PM
You don't need an expanded list of forms. And I dont think you HAVE one

Really. Just Alter Self into a Kobold...

And verbal component, hmmm...

You know you can Take 20 on Escape Artist?

Do you have access to a reserve feat?

How about just... don't get caught?

I think Loresong has a verbal component. Hence Song, heh.

nedz
2013-03-11, 02:59 PM
Standard methods include
Still Spell - Dimension Door
Still Spell - Gaseous Form
Still Spell - Primal Form

I'm sure there are others

ahenobarbi
2013-03-11, 03:11 PM
So you are willing to spend like 3 feats (you will get about 3 of those) on that but are hesitant to get a spell (you will get more than 40 of those)?

I think you should rethink your strategy :smallbiggrin:

Anyways usually it's not a good idea to over-prepare for worst situations. As someone suggested prepare to not get caught. Or trust your DM to capture you properly (without spoiling fun).

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-11, 03:18 PM
Why, specifically are you going for sorcerer?

It's possible to make a Wizard that is very, very, very similar to Sorcerer...

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=512122

Between Nexus Method, Eidetic Spellcaster, Alacritous Cogitation, and Spontaneous Divination... a Wizard can be very, very sorcerer-like.

Asrrin
2013-03-11, 03:20 PM
I got still spell because it's very useful when being grappled or otherwise unable to use my hands, which could be quite often. Eschew materials is also just as useful in the same situations. I suppose I could drop Empower Spell, but it is so darn useful when combined with Enervation and the like.

Like I said, I am not unwilling to grab shatter as a spell known, I was just wondering if there were some other spells I may not know about that don't have the Verbal components.

Psyren
2013-03-11, 03:24 PM
If you want to fake being a wizard and expect to be tied up a lot, I recommend a Psion or Erudite instead of a sorcerer. That way you'll still be spontaneous, but you'll have a use for your high intelligence (making it easier to fake wizardry) and not have to worry about verbal or somatic components.

A psionicist, for instance, could grease up his restraints, shrink out of them, untie/undo them with his mind or even teleport a short distance away, all at first level.

Asrrin
2013-03-11, 03:24 PM
Why, specifically are you going for sorcerer?

It's possible to make a Wizard that is very, very, very similar to Sorcerer...

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=512122

Between Nexus Method, Eidetic Spellcaster, Alacritous Cogitation, and Spontaneous Divination... a Wizard can be very, very sorcerer-like.

I purposefully chose a sorcerer to drop down a tier so as to not *completely* outshine the rest of the party. Also I like the back story I dreamt up involving being put in a wizard school to hide the shame of my draconic/sorcerer heritage and running away.

ahenobarbi
2013-03-11, 03:28 PM
I got still spell because it's very useful when being grappled or otherwise unable to use my hands, which could be quite often. Eschew materials is also just as useful in the same situations. I suppose I could drop Empower Spell, but it is so darn useful when combined with Enervation and the like.

Like I said, I am not unwilling to grab shatter as a spell known, I was just wondering if there were some other spells I may not know about that don't have the Verbal components.

Why not Anklet of Translocation (Magic Item Compendium)? For 1400gp you can teleport 2 times a day up to 10 feet as swift action. Perfect for getting out of grapple.

You can also get Heart of Water (3rd level spell, Complete Mage). It lasts 1 hour/level and you can spend a swift action and get Freedom of Movement for a few rounds (which will get you out of grapple etc).

Asrrin
2013-03-11, 03:29 PM
If you want to fake being a wizard and expect to be tied up a lot, I recommend a Psion or Erudite instead of a sorcerer. That way you'll still be spontaneous, but you'll have a use for your high intelligence (making it easier to fake wizardry) and not have to worry about verbal or somatic components.

A psionicist, for instance, could grease up his restraints, shrink out of them, untie/undo them with his mind or even teleport a short distance away, all at first level.

I've already started my Sorcerer, and plus I'm not a big fan of psionics. But thanks though.

the teleportation one on the other hand... Benign Transposition is a spell I planned on picking up anyways, and if they just simply put one of my non-caster friends behind bars instead of shackles.... but drat! a Verbal component again.

Eh, maybe I should find a way to finagle Silent Spell in place of something else...

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-11, 03:30 PM
There are a few level 2 Teleportation spells.

Baleful Transposition
Dimension Hop
Dimension Leap

Callin
2013-03-11, 03:45 PM
Couldnt find any with out the V component but...

Grease is ok in a pinch if ya gotta. Not to mention that it has so many other uses lol. Reduce Person is also helpful.

For second level you could always use knock. I mean that falls right under its jurisdiction. :smallbiggrin:

Asrrin
2013-03-11, 03:48 PM
Why not Anklet of Translocation (Magic Item Compendium)? For 1400gp you can teleport 2 times a day up to 10 feet as swift action. Perfect for getting out of grapple.

You can also get Heart of Water (3rd level spell, Complete Mage). It lasts 1 hour/level and you can spend a swift action and get Freedom of Movement for a few rounds (which will get you out of grapple etc).

The Anklets are definitely one of the first things on my wishlist, along with an HH and Runestaff.

So right now I have Quicken Spell (I am using the metamagic variant for sorcerer), Spell Focus(conjur), Eschew Materials, and Still spell as my feats.

Can't give up spell focus (it's for Archmage) but what would be best to give up of my other three feats if I could get the DM to let me retrain?

nedz
2013-03-11, 03:54 PM
Blink — Level 3 — V,S

Juntao112
2013-03-11, 03:56 PM
The Anklets are definitely one of the first things on my wishlist, along with an HH and Runestaff.

So right now I have Quicken Spell (I am using the metamagic variant for sorcerer), Spell Focus(conjur), Eschew Materials, and Still spell as my feats.

Can't give up spell focus (it's for Archmage) but what would be best to give up of my other three feats if I could get the DM to let me retrain?

Quicken Spell, because Arcane Spellsurge and the Arcane Fusion line exist.

rot42
2013-03-11, 04:00 PM
Using the Hidden Talent feat to grab Dimension Hop to teleport 10' 2/day only adds a little psionics to your character.

The Nonverbal Spell feat (Planar Handbook 40) might let you cast while gagged but not Silenced. If it fits with your concept it might be worth considering, but probably not in the general case.

As for retraining a feat, drop Quicken and instead choose Arcane Fusion (Complete Mage) as a spell known. Do be aware, though, that this is one of the options that can lead to those "I accidentally broke my game" threads if it does not fit with the general tone of your game.

Asrrin
2013-03-11, 04:06 PM
Using the Hidden Talent feat to grab Dimension Hop to teleport 10' 2/day only adds a little psionics to your character.

The Nonverbal Spell feat (Planar Handbook 40) might let you cast while gagged but not Silenced. If it fits with your concept it might be worth considering, but probably not in the general case.

As for retraining a feat, drop Quicken and instead choose Arcane Fusion (Complete Mage) as a spell known. Do be aware, though, that this is one of the options that can lead to those "I accidentally broke my game" threads if it does not fit with the general tone of your game.

I was planning on picking up the Arcane Fusion line, and I've already discussed with my DM that I won't try any infinite loop garbage (too cheesy even for me).

Hmm, I'll ask my DM about retraining that feat. Thanks all!

Though I still would love to hear suggestions about useful spells without the verbal components!

nyjastul69
2013-03-11, 04:09 PM
How about knock?

Cruiser1
2013-03-11, 04:10 PM
You know you can Take 20 on Escape Artist?
All this talk about casting your way out of restraints won't help if you're put in Antimagic Shackles (BoED). Instead of optimizing your spell list, optimize your Escape Artist skill. Getting out of Antimagic Shackles is DC 28 Escape Artist. That can be made with (for example) DEX 18 + 4 ranks in Escape Artist (8 skill points cross class) + Take 20. You can also get a free +1 untyped to Escape Artist with the Skinny (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#skinny) trait.

Psyren
2013-03-11, 04:15 PM
Though I still would love to hear suggestions about useful spells without the verbal components!

If you're expecting to be tied up, somatic will be a problem too. Hence everyone suggesting psionics.

Agincourt
2013-03-11, 04:19 PM
He explicitly said he is taking Still Spell and has already started playing a Sorcerer.

Psyren
2013-03-11, 04:28 PM
He explicitly said he is taking Still Spell and has already started playing a Sorcerer.

I'm aware, but (a) he still needs higher spell slots for Still Spell so he can't use it at first-level and (b) he can still take Hidden Talent as a sorcerer, using it on any of the 1st-level options I mentioned.

I was merely throwing it out there is all.

Gildedragon
2013-03-11, 04:28 PM
Martial Study feat for Shadow Jaunt (Ex. Teleport)

Callin
2013-03-11, 05:14 PM
Martial Study feat for Shadow Jaunt (Ex. Teleport)

that right there is win and i cant believe i forgot about it. i LOVE ToB

nedz
2013-03-11, 05:24 PM
I'm aware, but (a) he still needs higher spell slots for Still Spell so he can't use it at first-level and (b) he can still take Hidden Talent as a sorcerer, using it on any of the 1st-level options I mentioned.

I was merely throwing it out there is all.

Odd that you mentioned Escape Artist because I was looking at Shadow Form which requires some Escape Artist to pass through solid objects. It's level 5 though, which together makes this a poor option.

Jack_Simth
2013-03-11, 05:40 PM

Let's see...

Complete Mage Reserve Feat: Acidic Splatter. Supernatural, so no verbal or somatic components. Melt the manacles quietly. Requires you have a 2nd level or higher Acid spell, though.

Versatile Spellcaster lets you use two lower-level spell slots to cast a higher level spell. You can still a Grease with two first level slots, giving you a +10 bonus on Escape Artist. You might have problems with that pesky verbal component, though.

Sonic spells ignore hardness... but somehow I don't think that a spell that makes a big noise is what you want, here.

Dimension Door, Teleport, and Greater Teleport are all Verbal only. Oh yes, and they leave you elsewhere for when the guards wonder why you were shouting.

Keld Denar
2013-03-11, 06:43 PM
There is also the Dimensional Step reserve feat. As long as you know some degree of teleportation magic, you can blink a few feat away as a standard action. Since it is a feat, it doesn't have any of the drawbacks normally associated with spells. Auto-escape win!

Jack_Simth
2013-03-11, 08:26 PM
There is also the Dimensional Step reserve feat. As long as you know some degree of teleportation magic, you can blink a few feat away as a standard action. Since it is a feat, it doesn't have any of the drawbacks normally associated with spells. Auto-escape win!
Dimensional Jaunt (Complete Mage, page 41) does have it's own, though. It requires line of sight, for one, so if you're blindfolded it's of little use. For another, all your equipment comes with you... which would probably include ropes, shackles, and so on, depending on your DM. And, of course, you need a 4th level or higher teleportation spell available to cast, so....

Lapak
2013-03-11, 09:22 PM
Martial Study feat for Shadow Jaunt (Ex. Teleport)No, no.

Dip a level of Unarmed Swordsage at level 5 to pick up Mountain Hammer. Make an unarmed attack against the restraints holding you back for +2d6 damage, ignoring hardness. No one - NO ONE - expects the sorcerer to shatter his manacles with a headbutt and then start casting.

avr
2013-03-11, 10:31 PM
Everybody always forgets the familiar.

Which is an advantage here. Take a point in Open Locks cross class, and unless your captors get the monkey too, there should be someone free to open your shackles.

Spuddles
2013-03-11, 10:36 PM
Benign Transposition & a tiny or smaller familiar.

ericgrau
2013-03-11, 10:40 PM
Still grease + cross class escape artist ranks. Really still spell in general. Assuming they took your familiar away, baleful transposition with a guard for teh lols.

The standard way is any kind of teleportation, since all teleportation spells are already stilled, no need for the feat. Dimension door in core, for example.

JusticeZero
2013-03-11, 11:54 PM
Aren't Sorcerers able to do spell research, too? I'd think that you could research a spell, modeled after such spells as Jump, that would give you a huge brief bonus on Escape Artist tests.
Though I have to admit to being a bit curious why you expect to be tied and gagged so often...

Rubik
2013-03-12, 12:00 AM
Aren't Sorcerers able to do spell research, too? I'd think that you could research a spell, modeled after such spells as Jump, that would give you a huge brief bonus on Escape Artist tests.
Though I have to admit to being a bit curious why you expect to be tied and gagged so often...He's gotta use that Charisma score for SOMETHING, right?

ericgrau
2013-03-12, 01:22 AM
Justice walked right into that one.

Asrrin
2013-03-12, 07:29 AM
Justice walked right into that one.

Thank you all for the great advice. I'll also look into the reserve feats.

To those suggesting the familiar, I took the metamagic variant sorcerer from phbII to actually make my metamagic useful

And by the way, I'm not planning on getting captured, but I DO want to be completely self sufficient in the event (read: DM fiat) that the story demands we be stripped of our possessions or otherwise indisposed of. I am hoping that by the time we run into adversaries capable of using magical restraints that I'll be high enough level not to look for low level options.

Telonius
2013-03-12, 08:31 AM
Part 2 (http://dcanimated.wikia.com/wiki/Injustice_For_All) might be of interest. Remember, Bluff is a class skill. :smallamused:

Asrrin
2013-03-12, 08:36 AM
Part 2 (http://dcanimated.wikia.com/wiki/Injustice_For_All) might be of interest. Remember, Bluff is a class skill. :smallamused:

Ah yes, I'm maxing my Bluff skill to the max, that will be very useful.