PDA

View Full Version : E6/8 questions

Xervous
2013-03-11, 03:57 PM
As I am in the process of fleshing out my (favorite) homebrew world, many thoughts and issues have come to mind. The first few of which pertains to level adjustment and how it is handled.

1. How does the point buy reduction scale for level adjustment if you were to give LA+0 characters a higher (or lower) point buy? (How) Should the point buy reductions be tweaked if you are playing E8 specifically?

2. As my setting is generally low magic and to a lesser extent low wealth, I was wondering how much GP of items would equate to LA+1 or so, for instance to allow a player to have a magical item X that really defines their character but doesn't flat out make them better than the rest of the party. Or to simulate the influence that a lordly heir might have, favors, debts to call upon, lots of spending money from good ol' dad.
-> Ancestral relic could work as a basis for the first if its numbers don't line up to my tastes

3. Barring the hideously underadjusted templates (feral, white dragonspawn), do the "strong" templates (which are probably also underadjusted) often lead to problems // create issues that should be prepared for? i.e. Lolthtouched is silly good for E6 in my eyes, your point buy loses less points than the template gives (you lose 1 point if you don't care about STR at all...) not to mention the nice little fear immunity (ex) tag. So, should they be allowed as is, adjusted as per DM discretion, or disallowed entirely?

4... nothing pressing yet...

Xervous
2013-03-12, 06:31 AM
bumpalittle

Fable Wright
2013-03-12, 07:36 AM
1. I'm not too sure about the scaling of point buy in the E6/E8 system. However, if you're using E8, you can probably use LA Buyoff with little issue.

2. Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis grants an LA +1 template for 10 minutes a day for 10,800gp. This could act as a baseline, but Ancestral Relic for wealth is probably a better baseline for what you're looking for, as lump sums of wealth are very front-loaded.

3. DMs should just be wary. Extremely strong LA +1 templates continue to be very powerful in E6/E8 throughout play, as the middle levels where this balances out don't really exist any more. Personally, I just disallow them.

Xervous
2013-03-12, 09:05 AM
Thank you for that useful point: wealth not needing to be further limited if magic items are to be quite rare.

Xervous
2013-03-12, 01:32 PM
Now if I were to create a scaled up version of ancestral relic for this setting (as I feel the cap is too small to permit the creation of anything extraordinary), how far should I go? 30k at level 6/8?