PDA

View Full Version : Cold Druid

Miriad
2013-03-11, 06:01 PM
I am designing a backup character for my current lvl 8 artificer and I've decided to try a Druid. This is a varied OP group where some people use tier 1-2 classes and others just have fun and even play monks and samurais.

This is what I have so far:

Human Druid 5/Planar Shepard 2
STR: 8
DEX: 12
CON: 16
INT: 14
WIS: 19
CHA: 10

Feats:
1: Piercing Cold
1: Snowcasting
3: Nightbringer Initiate
6: Natural Spell
9: Energy Substitution (Cold)
12: Lord of the Uttercold

As you can see I want to stick to the "Ice/Cold" theme. I have selected Risia - The plane of Ice - as my attuned plane.

Im not sure about the feat selection. I feel like I am getting real late into the ones I want because of the requirements for the other ones.

jywu98
2013-03-11, 06:03 PM
You may want to take Frozen Wildshape. It fits the ice theme.

Miriad
2013-03-11, 06:07 PM
But once I am Planar Shepard I get to wildshape into oh so many "cold forms" which would make frozen wildshape useless except for the whole 12 headed cryohydra thing which I am not fond of using-

Also, with the Planar Shepard wildshape I gain all the elemental or outsider'sextraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities. of the native creatures of Risia.

Nightgaun7
2013-03-11, 07:09 PM
Winter's Mount may be useful to you. There's also a cold-themed Druid in one of the Dragon mags called Winter Warden.

Miriad
2013-03-11, 07:24 PM
There's also a cold-themed Druid in one of the Dragon mags called Winter Warden.

I checked the Winter Warden. It seems the only benefit is +1 CL and +1DC on cold spells and SL abilities. But at the cost of having a slower wild shape progression. (Gets first wildshape at lvl 7). Which would delay my entry into Planar Shepard.

Miriad
2013-03-11, 07:43 PM
Winter's Mount may be useful to you. There's also a cold-themed Druid in one of the Dragon mags called Winter Warden.

I'd have to dip 5 levels of paladin for that or go into prestige paladin. I dont think it would be worth it.

Miriad
2013-03-12, 09:41 AM
Should I grab Wild Cohort at some point?

jywu98
2013-03-12, 10:10 AM
Should I grab Wild Cohort at some point?

Druids already get an animal companion that's better than a wild cohort. Save your feats; druids are feat-starved.

Nightgaun7
2013-03-12, 12:11 PM
I'd have to dip 5 levels of paladin for that or go into prestige paladin. I dont think it would be worth it.

I suppose if you only allow it to apply to Paladin mounts that's true. My GM and (it seems) most people allow it to apply to animal companions as well.

Druids already get an animal companion that's better than a wild cohort. Save your feats; druids are feat-starved.

Don't make me laugh. You need Natural Spell and that's it. The rest is just picking a particular flavor of gravy.

Miriad
2013-03-12, 05:01 PM
I want to try and stick to the whole "Ice/Cold" theme. I found a spell that adds the [Cold] subtype to my animal companion with permanent duration. I will be using a Snow Leopard for the low levels and maybe a Polar Bear when I am higher level. I really like the Dire Turtle but it doesnt seem to fit with the theme.

Miriad
2013-03-12, 05:02 PM
Should I rank Ride and mount my animal companion or is it better to send him alone and blast from the back? So far my feats are making me caster oriented. Blasting with Ice damage and getting past immunities. So I am not sure what form I will be taking with wild shape.

Miriad
2013-03-13, 10:44 PM
M Neutral Evil Human Druid 5/ PS 2, Level 7, Init +6, HP 60/60, DR 1/Blud Slash, Speed 30
AC 15, Touch 11, Flat-footed 14, Fort +10, Ref +2, Will +12, Base Attack Bonus 4
Quarterstaff ( , )
Wand Chamber, Shield Spikes, Animated Masterwork Darkwood Heavy Wooden Shield +2 (+4 Shield, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 8, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 20, Cha 10
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs21/f/2007/235/a/d/Ice_Druid_by_tgconceptart.jpg

Feats:
1: Piercing Cold
1: Snowcasting
3: Nightbringer Initiate
6: Natural Spell
9: Energy Substitution (Cold)
12: Lord of the Uttercold
15: Natural Bond
18: Fell Drain

Equipment:
Periapt of Wisdom
Earthsilk Jersey
Armband of Elusive Action
Healing Belt
Summoner's Totem
Pearl of Speech (Common)
Heward's Fortifying Bedroll
Heward's Handy Haversack
Masterwork Darkwood Heavy Wooden Shield +2 (Wand Chamber, Shield Spikes, Animated)
Leftover GP: 1043

Skills:
Concentration 9
Handle Animal 5
Knowledge (Nature) 8
Knowledge (Planes) 9
Knowledge (Arcane) 1
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 1
Listen 10
Ride 5
Spellcraft 5
Survival 5
Use Magic Device 5(10)

Miriad
2013-03-14, 08:55 AM
Should I go Into Planar Shepard as soon as possible or fill in with some extra druid levels first?